Concentrate high vs dry herb vape high

staircase slight of hand

So I just got my first enail after occasionally messing around with carts and cheap wax pens over the years, and I’ve noticed that while it certainly gets me high (very, very high if I want it to), it doesn’t provide the really pleasant warm body-high that I’m used to from dry herb vaping (Tafée Bowle and Lotus are my daily drivers, for reference).

Is there a way get that wrapped-in-cotton-wool couch-lock feel with concentrates? I’ve been using top-shelf hash rosin and live resin, so I don’t think it’s an issue of product quality.

staircase slight of hand,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I think this is a common problem, I've seen mentioned elsewhere, I think it is fun to balance dabs with CBD herbs for this reason... (And bc vaping herbs is fun)

Kins

What temps do you use?. I've been using hash rosin also. Organic, no solvents. I'm using mine at 350 F. Great taste. Lower temps for better taste and more effects. Also would depend on the strain in how it effects you. Terpenes=effects, THC=the power of the effects. You could actually get a better high with lower thc and more terps.

staircase slight of hand

I’ve been sticking around 400f for the most part, although I’ve experimented from 350-500 (going below 400 causes very wispy hits that take a while to finish off, but with no noticeable advantage in the high). In terms of terps, both my rosins and live resins are in the 8-12% range.

The thing that confuses me is how inefficient the high is. A 0.1g bowl of terpy 22% flower in the Tafée actually feels like it gets me higher than a 0.05g dab of terpy 62% hash rosin, which makes me feel like I’ve gotta be doing something wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: Shit Snacks

Kins

Maybe try some different brands. The higher the price the better the quality(usually). You could also keep two different vapes on. Keep one on for dry herb and have a few hits of the concentrate and a few hits of dry herb. I still get good clouds at 350, could even bring it down to 315-335.

Kins,

doctapeppa

I find, for me generally, vaping flower is much closer to the feel of smoking it, IMO. I get more of the "couch lock/stoned" effect from that than I do concentrates. That said, It could be the complete opposite, simply by changing the bud, let alone dabbing vs vaping. I don't think you can find someone that will say "Vape/dab A at temp B and you will feel C". Everyone is different. Pair that to the huge variability in things like strains, THC/CBD concentrations/ratios, temperatures, humidity, difference in devices, differences even between different concentrates....it gets complicated quickly. I don't think there is formula to get exactly where you think you want to go and I believe it requires self experimentation to find what best fits you.

Shit Snacks

The high from dry sift is pretty indistinguishable from flower IMO.

I got some dry sift rosin recently, paid double what the live resin sugars and sauces cost, was excited for that reason and flavor wise it does have that, though the effects still feel like concentrate to me? More testing needed

darbarikanada

the efficiency thing you mentioned suggests that you're still getting your nail technique down. I don't use a nail, but when I vape ~.04g in my mighty, I get ~15 hits - and very high. I've used a banger a few times but haven't been able to get good flavor and efficiency. from everything I've read about it, there's a learning curve. it seems to me that the main attraction of dabbing (nails, bangers) is how fast you get high.

that being said, I once bought flower of a strain I'd really enjoyed in wax form, but the flower high wasn't (IMO) as good.

Farid

I got some dry sift rosin recently, paid double what the live resin sugars and sauces cost, was excited for that reason and flavor wise it does have that, though the effects still feel like concentrate to me? More testing needed

I can't speak for dry sift rosin, since I've only tried flower rosin, and I keep my sift as sift.

But regular dry sift not made into rosin has effects that are pretty identical to flower. I suspect the rosin making process removes some of the really heat sensitive volatile terps that are still present in regular dry sift. That or there are some compounds that are removed when processed to that rosin consistency.

Dabbing regular dry sift is not recommended unless it's full melt, and you do it on a screen. Basically you put a screen on top of your enail to collect the leftover waxy membrane part still present in the sift.

Shit Snacks

I can't speak for dry sift rosin, since I've only tried flower rosin, and I keep my sift as sift.

But regular dry sift not made into rosin has effects that are pretty identical to flower. I suspect the rosin making process removes some of the really heat sensitive volatile terps that are still present in regular dry sift. That or there are some compounds that are removed when processed to that rosin consistency.

Dabbing regular dry sift is not recommended unless it's full melt, and you do it on a screen. Basically you put a screen on top of your enail to collect the leftover waxy membrane part still present in the sift.

Ah I see, so complicated, thank you!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Farid

Kins

What if the rosin making process doesn't use any heat?.

Kins,

Kins

Here is part of an article I'll link.

potguide.com said:
Further exemplifying the need for low-temp dabbing, many terpenes begin to boil off at temperatures above 350℉. Going any higher in temperature lowers your chances of feeling the positive benefits of the entourage effect and will almost certainly burn off other important compounds adding to the full-spectrum concentrate experience.

Here is the link to the actual article.

Last edited:
Kins,

Vapouristo

Vapouristo Extraordinaire IG: @Vapouristo
Company Rep
In my experience, and pseudo-scientific opinion; Concentrates/dabs are the same as dry herb vaping, but there is more terps lost, in the extraction process. It's basically a higher ratio of THC-Vapour. The entourage effect from the terps and other cannabinoids from the spectrum is presumably more intact in dry herbs.

Basically, if you have a high THC tolerance, then dabs will not be better than herb for MEDICATING (I.e. the medicinal effect of the whole plant's terp/cannabinoid spectrum). Dabs are more recreational, as they provide me less of a medicinal effect; dabs tend to provide only THC for me, unless I got my hands on some HTFSE, which still is not as terpy as good bud.

If you have a high THC tolerance, and you need a medicinal effect, then I recommend dry herb, as it provides a more full-body load and greater overall medicinal benefits.

This is all pseudo-science and opinion-based. Basically, I need good terps to the maximum effect out of my product, and concentrates have inherently fewer terpenes.

staircase slight of hand

Here is part of an article I'll link.

potguide.com said:
Further exemplifying the need for low-temp dabbing,many terpenes begin to boil off at temperatures above 350℉. Going any higher in temperature lowers your chances of feeling the positive benefits of the entourage effect and will almost certainly burn off other important compounds adding to the full-spectrum concentrate experience.

Isn’t causing these terpenes to boil off what we’re aiming for, though? Unless I’m seriously misunderstanding something, “boiling off” (and inhaling) the various compounds is what vaporization is about, no?

Vapouristo

Vapouristo Extraordinaire IG: @Vapouristo
Company Rep
Isn’t causing these terpenes to boil off what we’re aiming for, though? Unless I’m seriously misunderstanding something, “boiling off” (and inhaling) the various compounds is what vaporization is about, no?
Yeah, but we want them to boil off only when we take a hit. However, making concentrates inevitably involves boiling off volatile compounds during the extraction process; compounds that would have remained if the strain were consumed in dry herb form.

Vapouristo,

strech

Once I started dabbing I rarely reach for dry herb. Effects are quicker and longer lasting not sure how you don't get couch locked must mean you need a couple more dabs!!!

staircase slight of hand

Yeah, I follow the argument for minimizing heat while producing concentrates. The idea that terps are being wasted if dabbed at >350f is what’s not sounding correct to me, especially since quite a few terps have boiling points >350f (like terpinolene, which is a personal favorite).

oldfool

For me vaping flower is a more subtle clear headed buzz.
Low temp dabs (400-420f) is similar.
Higher temp dabs (540-560f) is like getting hit with a sledgehammer. Not subtle at all.
Higher than that gets harsh, so 560 is my standard.

When I burned weed I had high tolerance, smoke a bowl and not really feel it.
I'm a heavy vaper and don't really have that problem now.
Maybe all that burned plant material had something to do with it?

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I’ve looked at all the temp charts. Problem is trying to compare TEMPERATURES between devices, and how the user has it setup. As a bit of a temp geek, I directly measure my DCup w/sapphire dish, and get to 1-3 degrees of my PID setting. So, I used to debate “low temp dabs”, with former member (endeemo) who was a big proponent of low temp dabbing. He made claims of dabbing at 350f and below. At that low dish temperature, all I’d get was a POOL of dispensary shatter. He eventually updated his temperature reading gear. Of course load size is a component as well, I end up around 450-470f range, on the dish surface. PID delta was adjusted for a -60f, so in reality, the PID without the offset would be reading: 510-530f. The DCup sucks up approximately 60f of heat soak. BTW: PID temperature offsets are not linear.

The Mighty may have the best temperature stability/accuracy and gets closer to all those herb vaporization temperature charts.

WelshBrok

IME dabs (mostly flower rosin these days) does give me the warm and fuzzy feeling. If anything more than flower but maybe for not as long. Like flowers got a smoother curve to the high as (complete pseudoscience) more compounds compete for receptors whereas dabs have a much stronger effect up front but quickly drop off (quick attack less sustain)

think it probably depends on what you’re used to at the time

Nina

I can certainly relate, with concentrates I dont get so much of the soporific effect that I like at night🌛🌚🌜

Kins

Yeah, I follow the argument for minimizing heat while producing concentrates. The idea that terps are being wasted if dabbed at >350f is what’s not sounding correct to me, especially since quite a few terps have boiling points >350f (like terpinolene, which is a personal favorite).

It's not a generalization. It's the ideal temp range for live hash rosin. I should have added context. Edit:I added a link to that post.

Kins,
Top Bottom