Concentrate high vs dry herb vape high

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
IME one can prefer some of the combustion /decomposition effects that occur when vaping flower, particularly at the higher end of the temp spectrum.

Similar to when smokers try to switch to vaping and find it “missing something.”

Last edited:
invertedisdead,
Reactions: Thick Vape

staircase slight of hand

It's not a generalization. It's the ideal temp range for live hash rosin. I should have added context.
I’m sorry, I don’t see how it can be considered ideal if leaves a whole range of cannabinoids in a leftover puddle?

edit: Your link is to an article with no byline on a site called PotGuide; forgive me if I’m not inclined to take them at their word without some science to back it up.

Last edited:
staircase slight of hand,

Kins

I’m sorry, I don’t see how it can be considered ideal if leaves a whole range of cannabinoids in a leftover puddle?

This is why I edited and posted a link to the website I referenced. I'm learning more about dabbing all the time. I've experienced great results at low temps. It's been a little while now though, maybe year or more not sure since I started with concentrates. At first I thought the flower high was somehow better or lasted longer. As I learn about good quality products and slowly improve my technique I get better dabs and better highs. There is so much more to learn but I feel I've reached the point that I'm happy with everything pretty much. Or at least content.

Kins,

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I'm planning on doing a little experimenting myself, recently picked up some live resin of a strain I found to have a lot of couch lock as flower and edible oil, now I'm hoping for the live resin. All these products are from the same grower so there should be a level of consistency you wouldn't get shopping around. My expectations and experimenting will have to wait for my t break to come to a end before I try the live resin.

In my experience dabbing is more heady than body stone but there is body high to be had. @staircase slight of hand a couple questions? Are you a indica or sativa guy? And what are your concentrate? Are they anything you've had in flower form? Are you strain sensitive, as in do you ever buy something and find it mediocre despite being high thc? Maybe what you have doesn't suit your taste high wise. Theses days I prefer sativa for my concentrate, I find dabbing more heady anyway so I don't fight it and I'm very satisfied with the results but if I could have the best of both worlds and have a super indica high I'd be very pleased if my live resin works out.

If you haven't yet try a dab in your Bowle, ideally with some degumed hemp fibre or medical grade cotton in the pot instead of flower. Try temp stepping for a slightly more well rounded high.

Bad Dog,
Reactions: Nina

staircase slight of hand

Are you a indica or sativa guy? And what are your concentrate?
Definitely an indica/indica-leaning guy. Everything I’ve got are strains I enjoy in flower-form (wedding crasher and purple Mac for the hash rosin, meat breath and skittles for the live resin). I think you’re definitely on to something with dabbing being more innately heady than flower vaping, so I might need to just adjust my expectations a bit.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I don't have the ability to really distinguish a lot of differences in types of high. To me, there's the feeling of being high, sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker. I can't tell a difference between a herb high versus a dab high if the amount of medicine is similar. I think whether a high feels couchlocky or stimulating is based more on perception and the state of mind I'm in.

Now that I am all concentrates, when I go back to try flower I get a vegetal or a roasted vegetal taste when vaping. I didn't notice it before I got into concentrates. I love the intense flavors and aromas in the badders, resins and sauces available right now. One of my favs is the flash frozen live resin my dispensary offers. They have the consistency of a slush puppy and just as sweet smelling. Heaven to vape.

I've never been able to dab big ol' globs. My tolerance doesn't seem to go that high, and I will green out if not careful. So the other benefits of concentrates for me are you need to puff a lot less to get a similar effect, and also the lack of particulates. When I vaped flower there were bits of abv shit everywhere. Vaping concentrates is a lot cleaner to me. One of my DD is a dynavap tip on a clear glass stem. After several weeks of regular use, the concentrate reclaim in the stem is almost clear and colorless as glass with very little bits of anything mixed in. I just like this type of vaping better right now.

Kins

Just dabbed some organic hash rosin. "Critical Skies", it is a "Blend of Critical Kush, Skywalker Kush and Skywalker OG". 3 little dabs and I'm good. I feel melted to the keyboard and chair as if we are all connected working together with chair and keyboard in harmony and balance. Very heavy body high.

shredder

I'll add my 2 cents here. I don't vape anymore, but I do make and use medibles that I use daily. And I use buds, sift hash, rosin, hash rosin, and a winterized feco to make my medibles.

IME they all have have different signatures. And within the parameters of types there are varieties, so a 9 lb hammer rosin medible is not the same as 9lb hammer herb medible, but maybe closer to a super silver haze rosin medible, but still different in some subtle ways.

And to complicate things even more, what you eat with the thc/cbd makes a difference. ( maybe it could be compared to a vape signature) A source used in a sugary cookie will be different than the same source in coffee. In some medibles I add sweet orange oil for flavor as it hides the weed taste and it also has limonene, a terpene found in sativas I like. And it does make a difference in the effects.

So in a way all the things y'all are discussing in vaping are also in the parallel universe of eating canna products.

That is all, carry on. :cheers:

Kins

edit: Your link is to an article with no byline on a site called PotGuide; forgive me if I’m not inclined to take them at their word without some science to back it up.

I think you might be waiting a while more than. When weed is federally legal people can do more studies. For now you'll have to make a decision on what you want to believe based on anecdotal evidence.

Here is where you find out who the people are that give the info on the website,

pot guide.com said:
Who We Are
PotGuide was founded on the belief that cannabis consumers deserve access to the best cannabis information available in order to have safe, positive experiences with this remarkable plant.

However, we must admit we’re a bit selfish: we care about the cannabis community and consumer because we are the cannabis community and consumer.

From growing, trimming, budtending, and managing dispensaries to digital media, marketing, branding and content creation, the PotGuide team has first-hand expertise in every aspect of the cannabis market from seed to sale and beyond. We are from the industry, for the industry.

Headquartered in Denver, CO and founded in 2013, we have experienced the legalization wave right from the source.
We’ve built PotGuide as a resource for keeping the cannabis revolution going, advocating for education, safe consumption, and the de-stigmatization of pot.

Let us be your guide, and explore the world of cannabis together.

I think they are an excellent source but if you think they are lying to you or some of their information is wrong, email them and ask them about it.

Kins,

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
Been experimenting with some indica concentrate the past few days and this is what I've noticed, 1 the body stone is still less pronounced then both flower and edible oil of the same strain from the same grower, 2 I've tried both temp stepping with my bowle and in my banger with similar results still more heady then couch lock, 3 mixing a dab on top of a bed of flower??? Gives what I'm calling the snowball effect, with the more well rounded effects of even a small amount of flower that missing piece of the equation is satisfied and the dab super charges both the heady feeling and body buzz a substantial amount, more so than anything other than vaping a ridiculous amount of flower. Together they are greater than the some of their parts while still allowing you to not have to vape more than your regular amount. For solo concentrate use I still prefer sativa and I've been a indica guy for the last 20+ year's.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Full melt hash > everything

For me it's the best cannabis experience possible.
I've not had the pleasure of trying full melt yet. I see bubble in my future though so hopefully it won't be long. The bubble school thread here is absolutely priceless and still had some of the original pictures!

Robert-in-YEG

So I just got my first enail after occasionally messing around with carts and cheap wax pens over the years, and I’ve noticed that while it certainly gets me high (very, very high if I want it to), it doesn’t provide the really pleasant warm body-high that I’m used to from dry herb vaping (Tafée Bowle and Lotus are my daily drivers, for reference).

Is there a way get that wrapped-in-cotton-wool couch-lock feel with concentrates? I’ve been using top-shelf hash rosin and live resin, so I don’t think it’s an issue of product quality.
Before discovering dry herb vaping, I tried using wax/shatter but just did not get good results. When using wax/shatter, I get a good inhale, my head gets very woozy, but that feeling only lasts a minute or two. By the time I am done and ready for a second 'puff', the feeling is gone. I just don't seem to get any benefit.

With DHV, I get a buzz similar to when I smoked. The psychoactive effects don't seem to last as long when I smoked, but that's not a problem. I have always disliked the smell and taste of smoke. DHV by comparison, is quite pleasant.

Robert-in-YEG

R.png

Robert-in-YEG,

Donald plat

If you don't care about the brand, Humansucks stinger is a good choice for concentrates. I bought one ,so tasty ,I love it but the tip clogs up easy if you don't clean it after every dab ! It works out great having spare parts always clean up and ready to go !

Donald plat,

florduh

It's nice to have different tools for different jobs. I largely agree that for the most part, concentrates are a bit more "heady" than "stoney". Flower does give you more of a body load. But there are plenty of times I want more of a head high than body high.

On a weekend morning to make chores a little more tolerable, I mostly want a head change. Also going out for the night. Couchlock is fun, but I don't want to melt into the back of an Uber. People, including me, rightfully shit on distillate. It's a short, mostly heady THC high. But isn't that ok for a night out at the bar?

Strain and temperature also come into play here. A lower temp sativa flower hit can replicate the cleaner feeling from concentrates. A (slightly) higher temp dab of indica hash rosin can easily melt you into the couch.

For some reason I've spent years trying to decide if I'm more of a "concentrate guy" or a "flower guy". Recently, I've decided this is silly. No contractor would say "I'm more of a screwdriver guy", or "once I tried a hammer, I never went back to saws". Different tools make sense for different jobs.

florduh

But being all or nothing is so much more passionate 😄
Oh, believe me I get it! Also geography plays a role. In Cali, I very rarely bought flower. I could get a huge variety of concentrates delivered to my door within the hour. In FL, this in not the case. You can almost always get hash rosin, but the strain selection is hit or miss. There might only be 2-3 strains available within my delivery area.

I believe mixing up strains is a good way to avoid building tolerance too fast. I don't have any scientific evidence to back that up, just my experience. My area does have a nice variety of flower strains, so I've been buying a lot more flower since I've been back here. Now, if I could get a nice variety of hash/live rosin strains any day of the week, my feelings on this might change.

for me flower is my medicine and concentrate is my treat. love and need them both!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah. The taste on good concentrate is just nuts. Like canna-candy. I also like the taste of vaped flower though. It's less like "dessert" than good hash rosin. More like a good beer you inhale.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
for me concentrates are an occasional treat, except for oil which is nice as a boost or if i'm walking around the city.
i like the fast effect but it lacks the depth of an herbal high.
i find that with the exception of oil - and this may be due to my novice level experience - it goes very fast, much faster than an equivalent packet of good bud.

Glorg

I don’t understand what couch lock is other then if I eat a 200+ milli edible, but proper rosin dabs are basically the same feeling for me as dry herb vaping except stronger and longer lasting excellence. I don’t dab for it’s ultimate efficiency I do it for flavour and fast stronger highs, also the fun in ritual as I use and love heady glass, Also unless your using a terpometer in your banger to double check your temperature readings might be completely wrong.

Glorg

I’ve looked at all the temp charts. Problem is trying to compare TEMPERATURES between devices, and how the user has it setup. As a bit of a temp geek, I directly measure my DCup w/sapphire dish, and get to 1-3 degrees of my PID setting. So, I used to debate “low temp dabs”, with former member (endeemo) who was a big proponent of low temp dabbing. He made claims of dabbing at 350f and below. At that low dish temperature, all I’d get was a POOL of dispensary shatter. He eventually updated his temperature reading gear. Of course load size is a component as well, I end up around 450-470f range, on the dish surface. PID delta was adjusted for a -60f, so in reality, the PID without the offset would be reading: 510-530f. The DCup sucks up approximately 60f of heat soak. BTW: PID temperature offsets are not linear.

The Mighty may have the best temperature stability/accuracy and gets closer to all those herb vaporization temperature charts.

The ability to dab at lower temperatures is also dependent on what materials your dabbing off of, cheap vs quality quartz alone makes a big difference and insert materials and how they can play off each other.

florduh

The tolerance issue with concentrates is a concern. That's why I like sauce style consistencies. Easier to take tiny dabs than diamonds or shatter.

People don't like to hear it, but that's why cartridges filled with hash rosin, or live sauce are excellent titration devices. Take little puffs until you get where you want to be, with no waste. Tastes like a low temp dab, to me.

Top Bottom