Cheap High Quality Bubbler

Justpassedu

@fcmember, you need a 10 or 14mm female end for the vc. If you get the 14mm, you will need DV's black silicone mp. The other end needs to be a 14mm male which goes into the mason jar's embedded female joint. Besides sneakypete, I believe I've only seen 10 mm ends on dhgate, but don't quote me on that, just google. So, all this said, that ebay vendor doesn't have a 10 or 14mm female to 14 mm male.

@Justpassedu, why is this probably your last China glass purchase?
While China glass is great for most , i personally feel a great difference when buying American made glass , the quality is leaps and bounds ahead and I vape daily and every piece i have got American made has hit way better than my China glass and does not break so easily. Now i am not hating on China glass bc it serves a purpose and i have got pieces that have hit great from China , i started collecting quality glass and just happen to really like it and now save my China made glass for traveling if i need to or taking out of the house. Just my personal preference .

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Anyone ever try the Glycerine coils they sell on the gate ? I always wanted one so i grabbed it , i'd post a link but it has another companies logo on it . This is most likely my last China glass purchase.
I saw your reply to @Summer thanks for that, I wondered "why?" too. Was there something especially bad with the glycerin coil? I'd like to get American glass but shipping to UK would be brutal and the gate is free/cheap! I looked in a few LHS while in the states and saw mainly marked-up China glass, alongside big national names. And gun/weapon-looking glass, WTF America? Well, to be fair, it was Texas. WTF Texas?!

I prefer scientific personally, simple perc/low diff, and so much American glass seems heady to the extreme. At a certain point, it ceases to be functional even if it hits great, just because it's got so much ornamentation you just know breakage is waiting to happen. If a friend handed me a $1000+ WP to hit, I wouldn't take it. No thanks. I wouldn't enjoy hitting it, just worrying the whole time that I'm going to be the dick that busts it. Put that on the shelf please. And that's cool too! Whatever people want to buy is cool because most people have a hobby they geek out on.

When I was in my 20s I had a really nice bong, cost about $450- $$$ in the early 90's. Heck, that's a chunk of change today! But I was only living & paying for myself then. Today I could never justify spending that on glass. Glass scene then was nothing like today either, it's nuts how many US glassblowing artists there are today. I'm amazed that there are enough buyers, but I suppose it's really about collectors.
If you use it regularly, all glass breaks IME. But I get where you're coming from @Justpassedu and if you can, I say do it! I always enjoy your posts & POV, now tell me about that coil! Nuclear waste, huh? :uhoh:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
While China glass is great for most , i personally feel a great difference when buying American made glass , the quality is leaps and bounds ahead and I vape daily and every piece i have got American made has hit way better than my China glass and does not break so easily.

I would largely agree with that line of thinking but I have some China glass I would stand up against any equivalent US glass. Admittedly this is DH Gate stuff in the $80-90US range so you can expect significantly higher quality than say a $30 piece off the gate.

Picked up what I certainly consider a "cheap high quality bubbler" yesterday from the post office. Thick glass, solid welds all round & it hits like a champ with the coral perc.

szRxi2cl.jpg

VVZaLW2l.jpg

MoltenTiger

I would largely agree with that line of thinking but I have some China glass I would stand up against any equivalent US glass. Admittedly this is DH Gate stuff in the $80-90US range so you can expect significantly higher quality than say a $30 piece off the gate.

Picked up what I certainly consider a "cheap high quality bubbler" yesterday from the post office. Thick glass, solid welds all round & it hits like a champ with the coral perc.

szRxi2cl.jpg

VVZaLW2l.jpg
Looks great!!
Nice choice.

People shouldn't be intimidated by the listed prices, or any stated prices, in the glass scene. It varies so wildly - if you look around there's a lot of jankless cheap high quality bubblers.
Prices aren't discussed openly, so any crazy deals you won't hear about the details. But they're easy to find.
Anything coloured will probably be 3 figures but nothing like $1000+. You can spend as much or as little as you like, there's too many options of glass blowers and some amazing hidden talent.

If you use glass daily IMO it's worth a small investment, and properly tempered, uniform borosilicate is strong. Most custom blown glass is made with the knowledge to avoid weak spots. And mostly by people that actually use their own designs, fine tune them and turn it into an art.

I started on China glass, got a feel for what I wanted and have now replaced it all. Some of it was nice, but all of it janky. The difference being, the close you look at DHGate items the clunkier they appear. The closer you examine artisan work, the more amazing it becomes.

Not all of it's great though, my preference is for a piece that 'shreds' with no potential splashback. That's a little harder to guarantee, a piece I got a mate to buy for himself so I could use, is a sucker for splashback. Still super nice, but it could be better.

There's certainly some quality glass available easily these days, Clean Clear Glass's seed of life perc is probably the best DHG option yet IMO, but crazy special prices like Maddabler's sale Stevenski jumped on, or just talking to a dude who makes sweet rigs, is the most satisfying way to be vaping I think.
But it pays to learn the ropes first with the inexpensive China rigs.

Back in the day we used to make bongs, I've smoked out of a heap different styles of bottles and other random objects.
The bong defines the hit, so you owe it to yourself to use one that is perfect.

Justpassedu

szRxi2cl.jpg

VVZaLW2l.jpg

That's a sweet piece of glass right there and a looker also. I'm not saying you can't get some quality glass on the gate , i just feel safer with the U.S. stuff & while you can get some really thick glass it is most likely not Boro and the actual colors they use are not disclosed.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I prefer scientific personally, simple perc/low diff, and so much American glass seems heady to the extreme. At a certain point, it ceases to be functional even if it hits great, just because it's got so much ornamentation you just know breakage is waiting to happen. If a friend handed me a $1000+ WP to hit, I wouldn't take it. No thanks. I wouldn't enjoy hitting it, just worrying the whole time that I'm going to be the dick that busts it. Put that on the shelf please. And that's cool too! Whatever people want to buy is cool because most people have a hobby they geek out on.
I think similarly. I have never spent more than $150 on a glass piece, and frankly don't intend to if I can avoid it. I think much of it is beautiful and I'm quite certain that some of it is worth much more than I am willing to pay, especially as art, but not for me. I am more utilitarian about this stuff and glass for me is a means to an end, not the end in itself.
Like @ataxian I am acutely aware that glass breaks, and breaks easily, and expensive glass is just an offer to me to watch my money get swept into the dust bin. Unlike @ataxian I can learn from HIS experience and not have to have the experience myself. I'm funny that way... :lol:
I DO like cool glass and have a fun piece or two, and there are a few more I would like to have (like a fab something, etc) but I struggle against buying glass as soon as it gets over $50 or $60 rather than in 3 or 4 digits. Again, that's just me and my own tastes and spending priorities and is no value judgement for others. But that is why this is the glass thread where I spend the most time.

And, BTW, even the cheap glass I get has to be functional. A decent perc, well designed flow etc are critical, no matter how much you pay. But since the Chinese are mostly copying others design that can certainly come along with cheap glass. But not always...

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I think similarly. I have never spent more than $150 on a glass piece, and frankly don't intend to if I can avoid it. I think much of it is beautiful and I'm quite certain that some of it is worth much more than I am willing to pay, especially as art, but not for me. I am more utilitarian about this stuff and glass for me is a means to an end, not the end in itself.
Like @ataxian I am acutely aware that glass breaks, and breaks easily, and expensive glass is just an offer to me to watch my money get swept into the dust bin. Unlike @ataxian I can learn from HIS experience and not have to have the experience myself. I'm funny that way... :lol:
I DO like cool glass and have a fun piece or two, and there are a few more I would like to have (like a fab something, etc) but I struggle against buying glass as soon as it gets over $50 or $60 rather than in 3 or 4 digits. Again, that's just me and my own tastes and spending priorities and is no value judgement for others. But that is why this is the glass thread where I spend the most time.

And, BTW, even the cheap glass I get has to be functional. A decent perc, well designed flow etc are critical, no matter how much you pay. But since the Chinese are mostly copying others design that can certainly come along with cheap glass. But not always...
jrerZJX.jpg

@cybrguy you are preaching to the choir!

I'm guilty of breaking most glass pieces!
I paid good $$$ for custom blown piece's.
Dropping them was SAD!

I buy from dhgate or amazon and still break it.
When it's $20 - $40 piece breaks I order a new one without grief.
CANNABIS is the true value!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
So I received the below bubbler:

Detachable-Glass-Water-Pipes-with-ash-catcher-removable-mouth-piece-s80-3-800x1000.jpg

[link removed]

I really like the main chamber, it's got the same volume (125-50ml) as my MFLB Orbiter but a much wider base. I'll take some pics when I get my camera back from my friend.

Unfortunately the Ash Catcher was smashed on arrival, I've sent an email so we will see how the vendor handles that.

I'm not a fan of the Mouth Piece, it flare is about 2x-3x larger than the ones @Oregonglassblower does so I've sent him a message too asking for a custom option.

Both the downstems arrived intact and are swappable so I can play with either a matrix perc or showerhead (Mushroom). I can see one downside of being able to swap the downstems is the risk of breaking them when removing/inserting them into the main or ash's catchers chambers. Obviously this is not a fault of the design, it is in fact by design, just means I have to be careful and vigilant.

My only two concerns with this glass is the male GonG for the mouthpiece, only time will tell how sturdy it is and if the piece is large enough in volume to support the FlowerPot. I've been reading up and it seems the FP (especially the Shower Head) is more suited to bubblers with large volume.

Modnote: Link to labeled counterfeit glass removed

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So, that looks to be a version of the FC-Mod from Steven (which is a knock of someones [Vapexhale maybe] crazy priced glass component piece). Along with some kind of fab, Steven's version of that is all I still really want to add to my collection. I tend to be an erector set or frankenglass kind of guy when it come to glass pieces and this would be great for it. Yes, @ataxian , I still blame you for this affliction... :rofl:
rBVaI1kP2jGARgVbAAeqUFQcm2Y607.jpg

https://www.dhgate.com/product/2015...atrix/255741536.html#s1-0-1b;searl|1238202988

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
So, that looks to be a version of the FC-Mod from Steven (which is a knock of someones [Vapexhale maybe] crazy priced glass component piece). Along with some kind of fab, Steven's version of that is all I still really want to add to my collection. I tend to be an erector set or frankenglass kind of guy when it come to glass pieces and this would be great for it. Yes, @ataxian , I still blame you for this affliction... :rofl:
rBVaI1kP2jGARgVbAAeqUFQcm2Y607.jpg

https://www.dhgate.com/product/2015...atrix/255741536.html#s1-0-1b;searl|1238202988

Yeh that's exactly it.

My main issue is the Flared Mouthpiece is too large.

It's also hard to watch the chamber filling with vapor when using, a minor issue.

I love being able to take out the perc's to clean and swap for different diffusion options.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Heh heh. Yeah, my Vapecycler is the same thing. Have to use it in front of a mirror to get the full effect and see the vortex.

Haha I was wondering if a mirror would end up being part of my vape apparatus.

I tried twisting the Mouthpiece to the side, tipping my head and keeping the bubbler low. This resulted in:
  1. Being able to see the chamber fill
  2. Dribbling down the mouthpiece requiring an immediate re-clean
  3. Me looking like Quasimodo trying to play a glass saxophone
I like the piece but I'm really hoping OGB gets back to me with a custom MP, I really hate the stock one.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
If you know before ordering that you aren't gonna like the MP you may be able to ask Steven if there is an alternative or if you can change the flare, but you are likely to have to go custom like OGB. At least with standard fittings its easier to find something out in the wild that may do as well. And if you aren't in a hurry that might be someone on DHGate or Alibaba to keep the price down. And lets not forget EBAY.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Well I've got one (apart from the broken Ash catcher which I'm hoping the vendor will replace). So I'm mostly hoping OGB can sort me out. I have one of his 14mm Flared mouthpieces he made me for my Orbiter and I love it. The flare is the perfect size.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Yeh that's exactly it.

My main issue is the Flared Mouthpiece is too large.

It's also hard to watch the chamber filling with vapor when using, a minor issue.

I love being able to take out the perc's to clean and swap for different diffusion options.

How large is the overall flare & just the internal hole diameter? Thanks!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
How large is the overall flare & just the internal hole diameter? Thanks!

This 18mm Flared MP comes in at 4.4cm (1.73") for the OD and 2cm (0.78") for the ID.

Where as @Oregonglassblower's 14mm Flared MP comes in at 1.4cm (0.55) OD and 0.8cm (0.31") ID.

I much prefer the smaller flare even though the narrower ID will add a little draw restriction.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Just FYI you can ask OGB to use a wider gauge tube for your MP. I was concerned that his narrower glass might add restriction, and as it was for my UFO, that was exactly what I didn't want. No problem.

Thanks for the tip bud, when he responds I'll have a chat with him and see what he has to offer. Might be able to have my cake and eat it :D

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Back in the day we used to make bongs, I've smoked out of a heap different styles of bottles and other random objects.
The bong defines the hit, so you owe it to yourself to use one that is perfect.

Jesus when I think about some of the pieces I made over the years :science:. We used to always get our garden hose "trimmed" by local youth. I ended up cutting a bunch of 4" lengths & leaving them in a little bucket next to the hose with a sign asking if they could take the precut lengths. Some smartarse cut the hose in the middle one day. What a cunt. It is a sad day when you have to lock up your hose of an evening.

That's a sweet piece of glass right there and a looker also. I'm not saying you can't get some quality glass on the gate , i just feel safer with the U.S. stuff & while you can get some really thick glass it is most likely not Boro and the actual colors they use are not disclosed.

I was talking more about a clear piece I paid $90 for but maybe I hit paydirt with that one or just paid a fair price for the 1% of gate glass I suppose :shrug:. The piece I posted is US glass but was a very good price so worthy of this thread.

Top Bottom