Carta by Focus V

Shadyguy

I was just on my lunch break and my atomizer wasn't heating up (real bummer). Up until now I've had great success with this atomizer, using the quartz bucket on the third heat setting, hitting 5-6 dabs per day with no issues at all, justs tasty rips.

I had my trusty waxpen as a backup and was going to load it up, but didn't really want to miss out on a Carta session. So I decided to take the atomizer apart to see if there were any noticable issues. Everything came apart very easily and I noticed there was some reclaim that built up under the ceramic heating element and in the terminals. I gave everything an ISO wipe and put everything back together. Seemingly good as new!

I can't wait for the heater replacements to become available. I was able to fix the problem in my car with just a toothpick and a couple alcohol wipes.

I'm curious to see if a new heating element will help others with problematic bases.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Unless this is your first shipment from FocusV, then you have to expect there might be a couple days between order fulfillment and shipment. That's one thing it's hard to hold against them right now, even if it affects me as a customer who can't use their product until I get a vital part replaced. Look, I only ever placed 1 order with this company a few months ago, and from that 1 order I've now received like 6-7 different packages from them in the intervening months. Never once was I charged for shipping, or asked to send anything back to them (except by Helix). Multiply that by all their beta customers, and then zoom out and look at all their other regular and wholesale customers, and then zoom out a little more and realize this company is still apparently only 2 people, responsible for a lot more than just logistics.

Maybe it's just me, but I cut them a little slack on that. All that said, they should probably hire some help :lol:

I agree with your premise but I gotta say, if the device was more reliable from jump nearly all of that could have simply been negated.

I've "owned" a Carta for a month and only gotten one dab out of it so far. It's not like I'm just waiting 3 days for shipping, it's more like wait three days to get an email back, then another three for the warranty form to be processed, then the weekend comes so there's two days of nothing, and then three more days since the label was printed. I wasn't able to get a single dab out of my replacement atomizer so my Carta has been down for a while.You can see how that could get frustrating, especially when I don't have 4 atomizers to cycle through during the downtime.

Ditto! Did u ship back your carta? My guess they won’t mail it til we mails ours back? (Mailing mine in 15 mins). Keep me posted if yours ships!

My original carta worked great quartz on the iOS app around 630F+

10 sessions later, dead base, cracked heating element. Focusv told me to ship back only the base.

That's really interesting, I don't recall anything in the email about shipping back my base first, that would be an important detail to include if it is the case. I could definitely go mail mine right now, are you sending it back in the original box? I guess I'm not sure what exactly they're sending me as a replacement though? Is it a brand new Carta in box? Hmmm :sherlock:

kingkasc

I was just on my lunch break and my atomizer wasn't heating up (real bummer). Up until now I've had great success with this atomizer, using the quartz bucket on the third heat setting, hitting 5-6 dabs per day with no issues at all, justs tasty rips.

I had my trusty waxpen as a backup and was going to load it up, but didn't really want to miss out on a Carta session. So I decided to take the atomizer apart to see if there were any noticable issues. Everything came apart very easily and I noticed there was some reclaim that built up under the ceramic heating element and in the terminals. I gave everything an ISO wipe and put everything back together. Seemingly good as new!

I can't wait for the heater replacements to become available. I was able to fix the problem in my car with just a toothpick and a couple alcohol wipes.

I'm curious to see if a new heating element will help others with problematic bases.
Very nice! When focusv said they’ll ship me a new atty they said to “feel free and try to fix it, we sending you a new one” I tried to qtip iso but still was some wax on the c. Disc. So I soaked the whole thing in 91% iso for few mins and dried it off still didn’t work. So than I pressed a little with a iso qtip and the disc cracked lol. Should’ve tried what u did but the base says short circuit.

kingkasc,

Shadyguy

Very nice! When focusv said they’ll ship me a new atty they said to “feel free and try to fix it, we sending you a new one” I tried to qtip iso but still was some wax on the c. Disc. So I soaked the whole thing in 91% iso for few mins and dried it off still didn’t work. So than I pressed a little with a iso qtip and the disc cracked lol. Should’ve tried what u did but the base says short circuit.

After seeing how the heating element looked after a few weeks of use.. I would recommend taking the atomizer completely apart and soaking everything but the heating element in ISO and then let dry. I cleaned the heating element and terminals with an alcohol wipe and it seemed to be ok. However, I would avoid soaking it.

The bottom airflow design will cause issues with reclaim buildup, since it has to go down through the atomizer it will eventually start to collect.

This additional maintenance looks to be part of the required upkeep of the Carta. Cleanup is always the worst part of the job

Last edited:

kingkasc

I agree with your premise but I gotta say, if the device was more reliable from jump nearly all of that could have simply been negated.

I've "owned" a Carta for a month and only gotten one dab out of it so far. It's not like I'm just waiting 3 days for shipping, it's more like wait three days to get an email back, then another three for the warranty form to be processed, then the weekend comes so there's two days of nothing, and then three more days since the label was printed. I wasn't able to get a single dab out of my replacement atomizer so my Carta has been down for a while.You can see how that could get frustrating, especially when I don't have 4 atomizers to cycle through during the downtime.

That's really interesting, I don't recall anything in the email about shipping back my base first, that would be an important detail to include if it is the case. I could definitely go mail mine right now, are you sending it back in the original box? I guess I'm not sure what exactly they're sending me as a replacement though? Is it a brand new Carta in box? Hmmm :sherlock:
The post office asked what it was and I said a vape base warranty. She said That ain’t media! so she said she will rebill them.

kingkasc,
Reactions: arb

flammy

Technically it stopped working after 4 hrs.. but I’m slightly venting (annoyed ppl have issues with replacements) I will say focusv has a wayyyy faster response time. I’d rather slightly vent on here before posting reviews, to be fair to the company.. since they do have a quick response time compared to other companies. I ship daily with usps so I’m aware they take their sweet time to update the site..but I called and asked.. still waiting for package. Thank you for your concern tho!

Fair enough. Needing to vent is totally normal. I just felt like people needed context on why you were venting so there wasn't any confusion. I get the frustration but I feel like the MMJ community needs innovators in the space and its already an uphill battle for new products. Randall seems to be very responsive to issues as well. Either way, sorry you're facing issues and hopefully its resolved for you soon. Based on how they've treated other customers, I have faith that you'll be taken care of. I think they fully understand that the Puffco model for CS is not the right one to follow.

I just got my Carta V2 today so I'm excited to try it out.

EDIT: I don't know if I am doing something wrong but after I click the button 5 times, all the lights blink 3 times and then nothing. Can I assume that I have a bad base?

Last edited:

kingkasc

Fair enough. Needing to vent is totally normal. I just felt like people needed context on why you were venting so there wasn't any confusion. I get the frustration but I feel like the MMJ community needs innovators in the space and its already an uphill battle for new products. Randall seems to be very responsive to issues as well. Either way, sorry you're facing issues and hopefully its resolved for you soon. Based on how they've treated other customers, I have faith that you'll be taken care of. I think they fully understand that the Puffco model for CS is not the right one to follow.

I just got my Carta V2 today so I'm excited to try it out.

EDIT: I don't know if I am doing something wrong but after I click the button 5 times, all the lights blink 3 times and then nothing. Can I assume that I have a bad base?
5 clicks turns it on and than 1 click after for the heat cycle to start

flammy

5 clicks turns it on and than 1 click after for the heat cycle to start

Thanks. That's how I interpreted the instructions too. It doesn't register subsequent clicks after the 5 clicks. I received a DOA unit as well. I started the warranty process through their website and about to test the faith that I had this company's CS and responsiveness when I initially purchased.

I'll let everyone know how this gets resolved.

flammy,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
On my Carta if you don't push the button once-more at just the right time after the 5 clicks it won't turn on. The whole button setup is quite strange.

flammy

@kaisersosay415, I'll ping @FocusV for you. (Randall, please see above post.)

I know that the red lights indicate battery charge level.

I, too, find the mode button flakey. The quality of the button is chintsy & toyish. Mine can takes several presses to engage it. It doesn't seem to press against the controling panel firmly enough to get a solid press. I can see this being a weakspot, & wouldn't be surprised, with extended use, it fails. Time will tell.

After one full frustrating evening with the Carta, I have to agree with this comment regarding button. Mine gets stuck often and it seems like it will be a point of failure on a lot of devices.

My unit does not recognize clicks after I turn it on. Every once in a while it does so I have actually managed 2 get two sessions out of it. I can see the potential in this device as it works well when it works but there are clearly QC issues in China.

On my Carta if you don't push the button once-more at just the right time after the 5 clicks it won't turn on. The whole button setup is quite strange.

I've been trying every combination I can think of. It has worked for me but I can't assess the timing or pattern that is needed on the subsequent button push. There is no rhyme or reason. I load the bucket and just push buttons until it starts to preheat. Definitely not the way it should work.

I suspect that there is an issue with the button somehow. I can see implementation of a multiple button approach down the road. Putting so many clicks into one singular button that does everything for the unit will just lead to earlier failure.

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

I think I've narrowed my button issues down to the rubbery outer cover. When the button starts feeling sticky, I use my thumbs to massage it down and it seems better for a session or two.

This could be a complete placebo, but if it feels like it helps, it helps!

MonkeyTime,

rskangler

So, it didn't require that much sleuthing after all :lol:

First let's all just agree to refer to the atties with the wall around the plate as v1 and the atties without the wall as v2. Beta atties are just that.

Anyway, I just popped my v2 atty in again, only I tried it with the fitted ti cup this time. I hadn't tried the ti yet because why would I do that when quartz is so much better, lol. But it turns out it works just fine with titanium - got the same dense, overly hot hits that the v1 ti gives on level 2.

So it looks like the v2 atty just doesn't work with the v1 quartz.

So funny because after having it for 4 weeks now,on and off,new unit and new atty have been replaced, I had not tried the Ti. I was having inconsistent performance with the quartz..Some nice rips and then so so..Been keeping everything real clean,taking your advice and cleaned the airway of base..
Anyway tried the Ti and consistent rips every time..Flavor not as good but the head is real good so thats my go to way..Hopefully new tech will be added at some point.
Tell me what you mean by the fitted Ti ? The Ti that came with the newest atty I have has a recessed bottom but still just sits on the ceramic not fitted ..Thanks..

rskangler,

freddiegibbs

Safe to use iso in that area?
No idea, but I wouldn't. I did a dry cleaning. Took a bit of effort and I doubt I got it all.

For anyone who's been following along, my 4th v1 atomizer took a turn for the worse yesterday. I only get wispy hits off the 1st cycle now. Once the atomizer is hot, I get better vapor off the 2nd click, but still not as good as a peak condition click. And I had been treating this atty as gently as I possibly could.

Looks like it's time to warranty the base :\

Tell me what you mean by the fitted Ti ? The Ti that came with the newest atty I have has a recessed bottom but still just sits on the ceramic not fitted ..Thanks..
That's the one I mean - the recessed bottom of the cup 'fits' it to the heating plate

Last edited:

rskangler

Has anyone seen the cool looking carb cap with the magnet on Instagram?..Any idea where to buy? Thanks..

rskangler,

Dragonlore

Has anyone seen the cool looking carb cap with the magnet on Instagram?..Any idea where to buy? Thanks..

Mindblowing glass sells on instagram, and another that I guess are being made for Bearded Lady Boutique. As best as i can tell, at least.

Ok, so my "V1" atty lasted almost 2 weeks, but died last weekend. I did the warranty form, no response yet. Maybe they extended the trip.;)
I did get the sub for 6 mo., hoping to save a few $ and have a few spares.
Thankfully I received the first sub atty just in time.
V2 works fine with TI, but the lackluster quartz performance is disappointing.
Nothing new to add to what others have already said, so I won't "beat the horse".
I only got 2 weeks out of the first atty, and it was babied like a Ghost latch.
When I get a chance I'll tear the V1 atty down and rebuild it.
Till then, I don't want to burn out my only other atty trying to make the quartz work.
Hopefully they will address the quartz performance soon.
I can't say if the app would help. I found an old phone in a junk drawer that it almost worked with, but only almost. So there's that.

Last edited:

Fkn0wned

I have yet to even use the app on my retail unit I have a Galaxy Note 8 and it doesn't work, we still haven't gotten a response on why the app developer needs all my phones permissions that seems sketchy as well.

Also you keep showing off different buckets and such on IG with the unit being retail and you still making changes to the atomizer and buckets itself how would we opt into get one of the more finalized ones because it seems with all the things you're still testing the ones we actually have aren't even retail ready still.

And according to everyones continual problems on this thread I'm starting to get concerned.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I have yet to even use the app on my retail unit I have a Galaxy Note 8 and it doesn't work, we still haven't gotten a response on why the app developer needs all my phones permissions that seems sketchy as well.

Also you keep showing off different buckets and such on IG with the unit being retail and you still making changes to the atomizer and buckets itself how would we opt into get one of the more finalized ones because it seems with all the things you're still testing the ones we actually have aren't even retail ready still.

And according to everyones continual problems on this thread I'm starting to get concerned.

I really apologize if I'm off base here, but it feels like the current "focus" is obtaining more retailers, and not fixing these kinks.

I still haven't got an answer regarding which mobile operating systems the final app will support?
I still can't figure out why I was sent an obsolete atomizer the same day others received new ones with recessed titanium bowls?

Using quartz is just not an option with the current hardware and buckets. FocusV took the quartz buckets off their webshop, too.

That's funny because I warned people to wait for better reviews before being stuck with a $250 titanium dab. I just wish I would have taken my own advice! :rofl:
Could kick myself in the ass with a set of steel toes for getting this paperweight over a Peak, temperature control via the app really pushed me over the edge, but it doesn't work with any of my devices so the jokes on me! :lol:

I'm scared to even try the replacement being sent, because if it doesn't work, I'm gonna want to throw it in the river. :D

Hussan311

So mine has been going well still but after reading all of your problems i am getting worried i will say i never even tryed the quartz bucket and i still have 2 replacement atomizers, but i completely understand why everyone is upset i had no idea they just removed the quartz from their website that is kind of shitty. Lets hope they figure this out soon and we can all just enjoy the device

Fkn0wned

I honestly just believe this should have been held back a bit longer for retail and let the beta or early buy in users spend more time with the actual unit because it basically went retail in less than a month or a month and a half after the beta pre-sale buyers purchased.

It seems to me the actual QA/QC team at the factory where these are being made just isn't up to par, and Focus V being a two-person team at this point just doesn't have the people power to stress tress hundreds of units for faults and issues.

That is what we have been doing and should be continuously doing like we are instead of retail getting these units and atomizers still having issues after being changed based on feedback from the people who are testing the unit for it to be better for retail.

In all honesty this makes us pre-sale users look bad because retail units are still having issues we should have addressed and have addressed which should have been fixed by this point since you went ahead and pushed the retail release.

*Edit in reply to Summer above.

This is cool and all he is making these new atomizers but you see where I am getting it they are being made because the one that comes with the device isn't up to par aka shouldn't have been the one with the retail device.

I get some manufacturers make new atomizers/designs for their pens/vapes etc... after a unit is released BUT at least the first ones are functional and new ones aren't being made to fix the old more so to just have options but it still seems to me he is continually testing and prototyping atomizers to fix the current issues all of ours have in which that case we should get the new one he is making to alleviate the issues.

*Another edit

I feel kind of bad because I read all this in here and have my own issues yet I work in a shop which got some of these units and I have been vouching for them and trying to get them off over the Peak and have had success but this is just making me feel bad for the people who take them home and might run into this issues after all the praise I have given it before hand.

I like the unit I like the idea and I like the person behind it as he has been vocal and customer support has been A1 BUT there are to many things coming up post release that shouldn't be I am beginning to wonder what the whole point of the pre-sale was it wasn't to make the unit better it was probably to get the cash upfront to do all the bulk store orders and such.

Last edited:
Top Bottom