Cannabis News

JBone65

The problem isn't "regulation bad". Some regulation is good. Regulations that require whatever's on the product's label to be accurate are good.
Agreed, but quality regulations/assurance should only cost a few $/oz for a large batch. I found an NIH article with some data. Testing small samples under 8 lbs cost more, up to $138/lb ($8/oz).

IMO it's best to avoid the black market and let cannabis sell legally, so that quality can be assured. Regulations that inhibit the free market, in an effort to multiply the price to the end user, end up creating the unregulated black market with untested weed.

"Low prices are great for consumers. But in one of those recent documentaries about the Cali weed market, small growers complained that the wholesale price of flower is now so low that they can't make a profit." I care most about the first sentence above, consumers are regular people, growers who can't make a profit shouldn't be.

Pinte

With that said, limited grows should be done periodically.

I dont want a strain i really like to go extinct after “a limited” grow. They need to be able to bring it back at some point. Just my ¢.02

Absolutely. I was likening it to the craft beer industry. There was a huge boom about 15 years back and a ton of small distillers set up their own business and a lot of them also went under because too much product existed. The ones that are still around usually have their well known brand year round, and then once a year they have special runs that bring in crowds and lines and usually sell at a premium.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
For a grower though, they have to preserve the genetics of those "special grows" from one year to the next. Either they maintain a mother(s) plant which costs money, or they produce seeds, which can lead to a different product than the original. With growers costs being under pressure they need a year round product that can fill the same niche. It's not like brewing a beer unfortunately, you can't use a list of ingredients and if one is unavailable choose from a list of almost as good alternatives.

JBone65

Wanted to correct something I posted earlier. There are 3 seasons of Growing Belushi on the Discovery Network.

It's somewhat funny contrived reality about the cannabis industry, complete with "Office-style" personal problems. Started small in the first season, but Jim expands into 10 states by the 3rd, with state of the art facilities in each state. In addition to the focus on quality, he tracks down experts focused on original sativa landrace genetics.

You have to tolerate tobacco usage and mute commercials if watching On Demand.

Okla68

Wanted to correct something I posted earlier. There are 3 seasons of Growing Belushi on the Discovery Network.

It's somewhat funny contrived reality about the cannabis industry, complete with "Office-style" personal problems. Started small in the first season, but Jim expands into 10 states by the 3rd, with state of the art facilities in each state. In addition to the focus on quality, he tracks down experts focused on original sativa landrace genetics.

Larry is a Dufuss !

Okla68,
Reactions: JBone65

vapviking

Old & In the Way

The Season 3 finale was great!
Larry is the biggest contrivance, I'm not really finding him funny.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
If he just switches to vaping, he won't be "smoking" anymore. :nod:

Better for him...better for the old bat. :tup::rofl:
Exactly. :nod:
I have a weirdly similar situation. By an odd stroke of jurisprudence (a court order) there is a place where it is decreed I am not to smoke cannabis (well no one is, technically) at certain times.
A judge signed it, but the lawyer who wrote it told me on the side that the order clearly did not address vaping. VOILA!

If the guy's actually good with just 8 to 12 hits in the evening, he could vape and use a smoke buddy or something, far less noticeable to neighbors.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

They want to have people take a drug, in order to make marijuana less effective. This is seriously demented.

It has this tired old bullshit fear-propaganda right at the end of the article:

"“The products that are available now are just mind blowing,” he said. “There’s no relation to the cannabis that your parents or grandparents might have smoked.”"

Okla68

It has this tired old bullshit fear-propaganda right at the end of the article:

"“The products that are available now are just mind blowing,” he said. “There’s no relation to the cannabis that your parents or grandparents might have smoked.”"
In one sence thats true...In 1969/70 I was smoking shade leaves. Didnt know any better. Then I found Mexican Seed Buds...it was the '74 before I came across Thai Sticks, then, Afghan Sensi buds. The 1st Real buds was TULSA TOPS...Real Sensi Seedless Flower...that was about "75/76. Didn't discover Vaping until 2018, along with Concentrates. Yep, "we're not in Kansas any longer" !!

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
In one sence thats true...In 1969/70 I was smoking shade leaves. Didnt know any better. Then I found Mexican Seed Buds...it was the '74 before I came across Thai Sticks, then, Afghan Sensi buds. The 1st Real buds was TULSA TOPS...Real Sensi Seedless Flower...that was about "75/76. Didn't discover Vaping until 2018, along with Concentrates. Yep, "we're not in Kansas any longer" !!
It is amazing how awful the weed in the 70s was, relative to today. That “Mexican” commercial (mersh, as we called it) weed that cost 20 bucks an ounce was weak as hell. We used to smoke several joints among three of us just to get a buzz. It wasn’t till around 1981 in college that I tried indoor-grown domestic indica and realized how bad the old mersh weed was.

And today, with the extracts available (like diamonds…whoa!)…we truly are living in the golden age of cannibis, particularly with widespread legality. A rare thing to be thankful for in 2023.

Okla68

It is amazing how awful the weed in the 70s was, relative to today. That “Mexican” commercial (mersh, as we called it) weed that cost 20 bucks an ounce was weak as hell. We used to smoke several joints among three of us just to get a buzz. It wasn’t till around 1981 in college that I tried indoor-grown domestic indica and realized how bad the old mersh weed was.

And today, with the extracts available (like diamonds…whoa!)…we truly are living in the golden age of cannibis, particularly with widespread legality. A rare thing to be thankful for in 2023.
I forgot to mention the Real Afghan and Lebanese Hash we would get from time to time in the Mid 70's. Eating a gram of hash was my 1st experience with Edible consumption.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

Yeah, but just like with alcohol, I like beer and I like whiskey. But I don't drink beer quantities of whiskey, just like I use my cannabis in respect to how potent it is. I use less flower to get baked than it used to take when I smoked Mexican brickweed in Texas for $50 an oz back in 2002.

Saying it's more potent as a scare tactic is bullshit. You don't just "take 1 weed" to get high that is so much more potent than one weed used to be back in the day. That's why it's stupid propaganda bullshit that exposes the author as a wrongly biased bitch.

JBone65

I remember a relatively steady stream of mediocre dirt weed as far back as 1969. Sometimes it was really bad, sometimes surprisingly spicey. Although not as potent (on paper) by today's standards, it worked very well. In fact, I would argue that "stoned is stoned" no matter how you get there. I crave the wild sativa flavor and resulting high I enjoyed back then.

I think the biggest difference between then and now is the difference in availability. I felt lucky to share one or two joints of dirt weed per day, often with several people. I'm guessing I spent much less time "high" then compared to now. I think that meant that one could experience a genuine transition from straight to stoned almost daily. It comes down to willpower nowadays. Back then it was a financial and availability limitation.

It's still not legal and some folks are supposedly still in jail today. Some states are trying to force people to pay $40/g for goofy hybrids. I'm just saying, it's not all good today IMO, and it wasn't 100% bad back then. Sure, it was 90% bad.... The really good smoke started arriving in the mid 70's. I remember having hashish, Thai stick, Oaxacan Gold, Black Colombian, Colombian Gold Bud, and Acapulco Gold between roughly 1975 and 1979. The dirt weed got better (IMO) and I first tasted sensimilla in 1977.:myday:

Last edited:

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Yeah, but just like with alcohol, I like beer and I like whiskey. But I don't drink beer quantities of whiskey, just like I use my cannabis in respect to how potent it is. I use less flower to get baked than it used to take when I smoked Mexican brickweed in Texas for $50 an oz back in 2002.

Saying it's more potent as a scare tactic is bullshit. You don't just "take 1 weed" to get high that is so much more potent than one weed used to be back in the day. That's why it's stupid propaganda bullshit that exposes the author as a wrongly biased bitch.
Are you not taking 1 weed per hit?? I need to go home and rethink my life.

Monk Debate,
Reactions: Cheebsy

florduh

Did they have quadruple shot espressos back in the 60's? Or was it just Folgers drip?

I ask, because you can fucking die from a caffeine overdose. It's also more addictive than weed.

Anytime I hear FUD about high potency cannabis, my only thought is: "show me the bodies".

Top Bottom