Cannabis News

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I am off vaping for a month while I recover from some lung surgery (which went really well, btw) and I am looking for recommendations on gummies or other edibles that are available locally in the Chicago suburbs. Previously I have not had much luck with edibles, but it is my only choice at the moment and after 10 days of nothing my tolerance should be about Zero.

So, a little help brothers and sisters... :p

There appear to be some good looking "bring a brother 40% discounts" today which is good timing. I think I can get someone to go along.

Last edited:

JBone65

I am off vaping for a month while I recover from some lung surgery (which went really well, btw) and I am looking for recommendations on gummies or other edibles that are available locally in the Chicago suburbs. Previously I have not had much luck with edibles, but it is my only choice at the moment and after 10 days of nothing my tolerance should be about Zero.

So, a little help brothers and sisters... :p

There appear to be some good looking "bring a brother 40% discounts" today which is good timing. I think I can get someone to go along.
I can send you an easy recipe, which you can make by yourself in 10 minutes, for GF peanut butter cookies. Mix in fine cannabis, cook on 350° for 10 minutes, amazing use of inexpensive Oklahoma weed. I'm shooting for 100 mg per cookie.

It's a slow news day! 😬:leaf:

Edit: If you Google "Gluten Free peanut butter cookies", an endless number of easy recipes come up.
Screenshot-20230324-122640.png

Last edited:

Vaporware

It’s a bit off topic so I hope we don’t end up with a long chain of edible posts here, but I do want to say I’ve had the best experiences with home-made edibles where I don’t know what was in them, with hash rosin based stuff, and with RSO or other whole plant extracts.

The pure THC extracts can be good for some people/situations, but to me they’re clearly lacking in comparison to the others I mentioned. :2c:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I ended up leaving myself in the hands of the Bud Tender, And he recommended RSO. So I got a syringe of Indica, the syringe of sativa. And we'll see how it goes.
It’s a bit off topic so I hope we don’t end up with a long chain of edible posts here, but I do want to say I’ve had the best experiences with home-made edibles where I don’t know what was in them, with hash rosin based stuff, and with RSO or other whole plant extracts.
Sorry, but I new I wouldn't get much action in my state thread and it was kinda an urgent (for me) question

Last edited:

JBone65

JBone65

What a surprise....🤔 The new free market? :bigleaf:💰

florduh

Yeah. the free market isn't really free.

In reality, there is no such thing as a "free market" and there never will be. Someone is always going to write the rules for the market. And if every legislature and regulatory body is captured by corpo interests, they're gonna write the rules to benefit corporations and the wealthy over small businesses and workers.

In Captured: The Corporate Infiltration of American Democracy, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse warns that “corporations of vast wealth and remorseless staying power have moved into our politics to seize for themselves advantages that can be seized only by control over government.” The results are widespread and can be seen throughout the regulations of the new cannabis industry. From lax and unregulated state testing, supply chain issues, remediation of contaminated cannabis, (not once, but twice using harsh chemical solvents and is NOT disclosed to consumers), to the failure to implement the basic standards of lab analysis and the incomprehensible nature of the testing results, which make it impossible to compare one brand's numbers to another, the regulations support mass-production of the lowest quality cannabis products in California. In other words, the regulations support uninformed consumption, deception, and corporate greed, regardless of consequence.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968

How Do You Know if You’re Addicted to Weed?​

Nearly 6 percent of American teens and adults have cannabis use disorder.

If that link doesn't open, try this gift link:

This is a surprisingly balanced article. Excellent and varied comments at the article. As someone with fifty plus years of near daily(nightly when I worked) cannabis use, I admit that I fit this diagnosis. And no, I've never had even a vaguely violent withdrawal on one of my week or three of abstinence every two or three years.

Last edited:
Polarbearboy,
Reactions: JBone65

Gunky

That weed you bought might not be as potent as promised, study finds

Colorado researchers found that the THC in cannabis they tested was, on average, 23 percent lower than what was reported on the label​

The weed you’re buying might not make you as high as you hoped.
A study conducted by researchers at the University of Northern Colorado tested samples of cannabis sold at several Colorado dispensaries. Overall, they found that the product labels promised a potency higher than what was actually in the bags.

The study’s findings demonstrate the lack of regulation in the nation’s burgeoning cannabis industry and suggest that many buyers may be getting duped into believing their purchase will have a stronger concentration of THC, the psychoactive compound responsible for the euphoric “high” that weed delivers. Researchers say it is the first peer-reviewed study to examine empirically the potency of commercially available cannabis.

“I don’t believe what’s on the label,” said Mit McGlaughlin, one of the authors of the study and a professor of biological sciences at the University of Northern Colorado. “We just don’t have enough information for consumers about whether or not you can trust what’s being produced.”

Testing weed for THC​

To conduct the study, researchers bought 23 different samples of cannabis flowers from 10 dispensaries in Denver, Fort Collins and Garden City, Colo. They tested each sample to measure the concentration of THC, which stands for Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

In 18 of the 23 samples, which carried names including Sour Amnesia, Danky Kong and Colombian Gold ’72, the researchers found levels of potency below what was listed on the labels. Depending on the bag tested, some products contained 40 to 50 percent less THC than the labels promised. The amount of THC detected in the lab was, on average, 23 percent lower than the amount listed on the bags of cannabis.

Five samples contained levels of THC either within the range or close to those listed on the labels. “These results make clear that consumers are often purchasing cannabis that has a much lower THC potency than is advertised,” the authors of the study concluded.
Some pretty janky stuff going on in the cannabis industry! https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/04/13/weed-marijuana-thc-labels/

Last edited:

florduh

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I think it is reasonable for there to be a 23% difference frankly. The test result signifies the result of the sample sent for testing, not what's in the package. If I were sending my product for testing, which ends up as marketing, I would most definately pick the best buds of the batch to send off, not the average ones.

Gunky

I think it is reasonable for there to be a 23% difference frankly. The test result signifies the result of the sample sent for testing, not what's in the package. If I were sending my product for testing, which ends up as marketing, I would most definately pick the best buds of the batch to send off, not the average ones.
This is how they tested:
Schwabe and McGlaughlin sent samples of cannabis to a private lab. The lab researchers dissolved the cannabis buds in a solution and ran the resulting liquid through a chromatography machine that separated all the components of the plant according to molecular weight, McGlaughlin said. By doing so, they were able to determine the concentration of THC.
If they had a well graded, nice sized nugs should be able to get fairly consistent results. Some of them were off by 50%. Even 23% lower would mean 20 is actually 15. The idea that the producer would cherry-pick the samples to beef up the % is kinda fucked up. I don't know how the various states require producers to test potency.

Last edited:

florduh

My high idea is, we need some sort of a USDA lab for weed. Put some of the outrageous taxes they're collecting to good work. And they need to test shit that's on dispo shelves. Use secret shoppers. Pay college kids and retirees on fixed incomes to do it. You might not even need to pay them. They could just "split an eighth with Uncle Sam".

3743_Jp3S_usgovernmentweedstudy.jpg

Of course...this probably wouldn't work with our current government. Our laws incentivize buying off regulators. But so long as there's a profit motive for these labs to lie so their real customers (cannabis companies) are happy...we'll never be able to trust test results.

Personally, I don't even give a shit about THC percentages. But I would like some assurances that this little 1 gram jar of goo I'm about to shoot directly into my lungs is what the label says it is.

JBone65

This is showing the difference between for-profit testing, and non-profit testing. The labs work for growers and extractors. Not cannabis consumers.
Higher THC content might still be the average growers highest priority, along with yield, disease resistance, flowering time, marketability on the store shelf, cost of clones, etc.. Cannabis genetics labs are focused on the same priorities plus licensing rights. IMO "the industry" is so focused on making a profit, they're potentially breeding "the high" out of the product. Most of the crazy sweet hybrids on store shelves today aren't satisfying compared to the true classics IMO. THC strength is important, but probably not as important as genetic makeup. Only nowadays can one step in the trap and buy weed that smells and looks great but is frustrating and won't do the job. THC content and testing is somewhat irrelevant if true. You can always get another hit if it's weak, but ten more hits won't help if it's shitty weed. As much as it's been studied, I haven't heard anyone explain exactly what it is that causes the classic cerebral high. It might have something to do with the power of nature and natural selection.

Last edited:

florduh

Higher THC content might still be the average growers highest priority, along with yield, disease resistance, flowering time, marketability on the store shelf, cost of clones, etc.. Cannabis genetics labs are focused on the same priorities plus licensing rights. IMO "the industry" is so focused on making a profit, they're potentially breeding "the high" out of the product. Most of the crazy sweet hybrids on store shelves today aren't satisfying compared to the true classics IMO. THC strength is important, but probably not as important as genetic makeup. Only nowadays can one step in the trap and buy weed that smells and looks great but is frustrating and won't do the job. THC content and testing is somewhat irrelevant if true. You can always get another hit if it's weak, but ten more hits won't help if it's shitty weed. As much as it's been studied, I haven't heard anyone explain exactly what it is that causes the classic cerebral high. It might have something to do with the power of nature and natural selection.

Couldn't agree more on the hybrid shit. One of my favorite aspects of cannabis is being able to somewhat tailor your experience based on strains. We're moving into a world where that's gone with the wind. Lots of bland hybrids on dispo shelves these days.

I'm not big city weed scientist. I dunno how any of this shit works. But it seems to me like maxing out THC means less capacity for the plant to pump out minor noids.

jbm

I'm not big city weed scientist. I dunno how any of this shit works. But it seems to me like maxing out THC means less capacity for the plant to pump out minor noids.
Floyd at Hoku Seeds is growing type ii and iii strains that have a wider range of cannibinoids. The Master Mix series are really good, some of the most balanced stuff I’ve used. It’s a membership program, but some stuff gets sold through his site.

Okla68

It's sad. The negative propaganda campaign was intense enough to motivate the anti-cannabis crowd. It's probably due to non-user backlash after 4 1/2 years of too much cannabis exposure. We could've had another societal cash source, instead nothing will change. The number of licensed growers (7000+) won't change significantly, the amount grown, etc. Locally grown cannabis with an annual gross value of $600M will not be allowed into the legal market. Criminal potheads (those without medical licenses) from Ok and surrounding states will have to remain criminals and continue dodging the law for now. Two steps forward, one step backward. Hopefully no one will start a petition to end medical cannabis...
Wash your mouth out with that comment about Ending MMJ......at 74 and hiding for 50+ years, it could mean Oklahoma Weed War !!!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
This is showing the difference between for-profit testing, and non-profit testing. The labs work for growers and extractors. Not cannabis consumers.

All you have to do is pull out a stem or two out and the THC percentage goes up. It’s comical how easy it is to inflate those numbers.

And that’s assuming you’re not just bribing the testing lab lol.
IMO "the industry" is so focused on making a profit, they're potentially breeding "the high" out of the product. Most of the crazy sweet hybrids on store shelves today aren't satisfying compared to the true classics IMO

Well that’s just another benefit for the corporatized cannabis companies. Why would they want you to get super stoned and barely come back to the store if they can get people to keep buying stuff that doesn’t even do anything.

It’s kinda like fast food, sure the foods total crap, but if you can get enough people to buy it there’s no real reason to offer anything better from a profit perspective.

Same thing as the television - why come up with a new and interesting story and character when you can just keep selling Spider-Man. Honestly people need to be way more opinionated if we want to see anything change.

JBone65

Here's a local article about an interesting bust in OKC where a tractor trailer loaded with 7000# of camouflaged flower headed for New York & Jersey got busted, leading back to a distribution warehouse purportedly supplied by multiple growers and managed to some degree by "local consultants". The written text has more info than the video. Will post an update if/when details are available.

Meanwhile, prices might be going up in New York & Jersey. I'm just saying.... it was excellent weed...off the market....

In the article the OBN claims to have shut down 800 illegal grow operations. I looked at the OMMA dashboard. Today we have more than 8000 licensed growers in Oklahoma, 1000 more than a year ago, with 12,000 commercial business licenses overall, including dispensaries, transportation, etc.

Top Bottom