Cannabis News

Gunky

Worst case in Adult use States with high taxes: there's now a thriving grey market. I find that better than an exclusively Black Market State. Felony Defense attorneys are expensive.
Some kind of legalization is always better than nothing?! No, it is not. You see, this reasoning is what got us the flawed California initiative which became a total dog's breakfast in execution. The kinds of legalization that have mostly been offered to us -after the medical marijuana thing had been around for years - have mostly been scams dreamed up by fatcats who want to make a killing on the new market and are intent on clearing the market for the exclusive dominance of themselves and a few other large-scale producers. Looking at this as black and white gives you the disastrous mess of the California market. If I remember right you were one of those insisting that the CA initiative be approved, because "something is always better than nothing." People were perfectly sanguine about locking in protections for what will end up being decades for corporate overlords, and willing to throw the previously existing group of producers under a bus because of the same rationalizations. People need to wake up, be discriminating, and not just plunk for a pig in a poke.

Gunky,

JBone65

Some kind of legalization is always better than nothing?! No, it is not. You see, this reasoning is what got us the flawed California initiative which became a total dog's breakfast in execution. The kinds of legalization that have mostly been offered to us -after the medical marijuana thing had been around for years - have mostly been scams dreamed up by fatcats who want to make a killing on the new market and are intent on clearing the market for the exclusive dominance of themselves and a few other large-scale producers. Looking at this as black and white gives you the disastrous mess of the California market. If I remember right you were one of those insisting that the CA initiative be approved, because "something is always better than nothing." People were perfectly sanguine about locking in protections for what will end up being decades for corporate overlords, and willing to throw the previously existing group of producers under a bus because of the same rationalizations. People need to wake up, be discriminating, and not just plunk for a pig in a poke.
I wonder if federal legalization might tend to normalize the market. Depending on how it's enacted, it could undercut states ability to over-regulate. Could it foster competition, or at least convince failing states they can make more money with a healthy market.

JBone65,

Gunky

I wonder if federal legalization might tend to normalize the market. Depending on how it's enacted, it could undercut states ability to over-regulate. Could it foster competition, or at least convince failing states they can make more money with a healthy market.
I'm in favor of federal legalization. It should be as simple as possible, such as just removing cannabis from the schedule. Complicated schemes with new layers of taxation and built in protections for large producers will fuck it up.

Gunky,

Madtater

I'm in favor of federal legalization. It should be as simple as possible, such as just removing cannabis from the schedule. Complicated schemes with new layers of taxation and built in protections for large producers will fuck it up.
Federal legalization also opens up interstate commerce. That is what we REALLY need.

Enough of this “only sell what is grown and made in State”.

Interstate commerce will THEN open up real competition m and lower prices.

Until then, we are just getting ripped off by the “fat cats” and politicians who are lining their own pockets.

Gunky

Ok, then go to Texas or Alabama and tell me how their Cannabis situation compares to Cali's "hellscape".
I don't have to go there to be able to tell them not to do it like California when offered a similar choice, which will probably happen. All sorts of stuff were hard-coded in the law and changing it requires another referendum, which is to say probably never. This is not a binary choice between "legalization" - some pig in a poke - right now because it's on the ballot or nothing. It is possible to get this closer to right and people should not settle for whatever some fatcat holds out for them.

florduh

I don't have to go there to be able to tell them not to do it like California when offered a similar choice, which will probably happen. All sorts of stuff were hard-coded in the law and changing it requires another referendum, which is to say probably never. This is not a binary choice between "legalization" - some pig in a poke - right now because it's on the ballot or nothing. It is possible to get this closer to right and people should not settle for whatever some fatcat holds out for them.

Texans and Alabamans don't have Prop 215, Gunky. They have dry, leftover Cali weed for 2-3 times what they're charging at Cali dispensaries. And if they get caught with an ounce of it, they're catching a mandatory 3 year prison sentence.

I lived in Cali during Prop 215. I agree it was wonderful.

But... I'm just gonna say it. From an average consumer's perspective. The current California weed situation is great :shrug: Sorry. I was just there for a few weeks. And in Oregon. And in Colorado. The out the door price and quality in Cali was at least as good as the other established markets. And much better than every other State outside of the West Coast or CO.

I understand the issues with Cali's weed laws. But from an average consumer's perspective, California is still one of the best places to buy weed on the planet. For both price and quality.

florduh,
Reactions: JBone65

JBone65

Can't necessarily change what greedy state legislators have done, but ending a lifetime of federal injustice is worth considering. I can't think of anything that would help California (and Oklahoma) more than interstate weed commerce.

Federal legalization could become a campaign issue, just another civil liberty opposed by the forces of darkness.

Gunky

Texans and Alabamans don't have Prop 215, Gunky. They have dry, leftover Cali weed for 2-3 times what they're charging at Cali dispensaries. And if they get caught with an ounce of it, they're catching a mandatory 3 year prison sentence.

I lived in Cali during Prop 215. I agree it was wonderful.

But... I'm just gonna say it. From an average consumer's perspective. The current California weed situation is great :shrug: Sorry. I was just there for a few weeks. And in Oregon. And in Colorado. The out the door price and quality in Cali was at least as good as the other established markets. And much better than every other State outside of the West Coast or CO.

I understand the issues with Cali's weed laws. But from an average consumer's perspective, California is still one of the best places to buy weed on the planet. For both price and quality.
Yeah I understand but you are looking at the surface only. The shops you bought from are probably skating on the edge of bankruptcy. Most small canna businesses are. Many of the original growers in Northern CA who sacrificed big time to get licensed are out of business. They were sacrificed on the altar of your expediency. Some of the quality is not as good as you think. Even some of the giant farms are having trouble making money. But back before "legalization" we were able to get better and frequently cheaper medical marijuana.

The point here is Texas and Alabama are bad but they still should not accept some California style boondoggle just because it's being offered and it sounds better than nothing. Don't marry the first person you meet because they seem better than nothing. Here as in life we should not settle for what we don't actually want. We should be discriminating and have high standards and not get ripped off by mega canna again.

Gunky,
Reactions: Shrike

florduh

Yeah I understand but you are looking at the surface only.

I am. But the way people talk about Cali around here makes it sound like it's a complete hellhole for cannabis consumers. I'm just pointing out that, from the regular consumer's perspective, literally the opposite is true. There are an insane number of dispensaries and they're all selling good weed at good prices out the door.

Honestly...compared to every other consumer product, weed prices in 2024 vs 2015 in California are great. I bought an eighth for $9 out the door that is better than the $45 eighths in the Free State of Florida.

Prop 215 was great for flower. But you also had edibles being made in unregulated apartment kitchens and shatter with residual solvents. I loved that era, but it wasn't perfect either.

The point here is Texas and Alabama are bad but they still should not accept some California style boondoggle just because it's being offered and it sounds better than nothing.

Moot point though because they're not being offered the "awful" California weed situation. They're being offered trash weed at high prices with the constant threat of a felony hanging over their heads. Zero indication the politicians running those States intend to offer anything different in the foreseeable future.

florduh,
Reactions: Shrike

JBone65

Everyone agrees the current system is mostly broken. Federal legalization and interstate commerce should shake up this system. I'm anxious to hear a proposal. Let the shite hit the fan. It should be an improvement. Kamala probably shopped at some high end dispensary. Surely she understands the problem.

Gunky

An interesting article in the NYT about the pitfalls of legalization in NY. Similar stories are taking place all over the country: regulations, fees and taxes are making black market weed significantly cheaper than 'legal' weed. The article looks into the situation at one dispensary in New York. They are forced to charge double the wholesale price to consumers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/20/nyregion/legal-weed-cost-nyc.html

Madtater

An interesting article in the NYT about the pitfalls of legalization in NY. Similar stories are taking place all over the country: regulations, fees and taxes are making black market weed significantly cheaper than 'legal' weed. The article looks into the situation at one dispensary in New York. They are forced to charge double the wholesale price to consumers.
Dispensary product is safer, but too expensive because of politicians getting their grubby hands into the market.

This is why i have been growing my own. I am just starting to get a good rotation going so i will never be without.

These assholes who “control” the legal market are literally destroying it because of their greed.

chillAtGVC

This is why you should not want the govt involved in anything that it does not absolutely need to be. This happens with every govt program, regulation, etc.

chillAtGVC,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

This article is behind a PAYWALL.

RustyOldNail,

Gunky

This is why you should not want the govt involved in anything that it does not absolutely need to be. This happens with every govt program, regulation, etc.
I actually want state, local and federal governments to be involved in cannabis trade. They can supply standards of purity, testing criteria, etc. And actually test the weed supply for molds, contaminants, etc. I can even see these various levels of government taking a small cut to help fund their regulation efforts. But most of these legalization efforts were sold as big cash cows for governments and the regs and taxes became a huge obstacle to legal stuff competing well with black market. Some of these regs and taxes should have been phased in slowly. Some are greedy shit that ought to be removed. It's chaos right now because everybody is in a rush to 'legalize' but too impatient to get it right.

florduh

IMO, there probably should be a small additional tax on cannabis. That tax should pay for a government run testing régime, like the USDA for meat. The government does have a responsibility to ensure products on store shelves are safe for consumers. Especially products meant for inhalation.

There should be no additional taxes beyond that. Cannabis consumers should not be seen as a revenue source for State and local governments. Tax the rich if you need additional revenue.

66707ace7d70d.webp

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

A decade into states legalizing marijuana, underage use has plummeted

According to data provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s latest National Survey on Drug Use and Health, the percentage of those ages 12 to 17 who reported having ever tried marijuana fell 18 percent from 2014 to 2023. Those reporting having consumed cannabis during the last year fell by 15 percent. The number of teens reporting current marijuana use fell by 19 percent.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
When Did Weed Get So Strong

Big very interesting article from The Atlantic. Gift article so you should be able to read without subscribing.

Thanks for sharing, I like that it discusses different states' varying implementation.
Still, I can't help but hear some of the old alarmist cries regarding potency ("omg! Its 10x stronger than when we were kids!").
Though I'll still acknowledge the need for research; clearly its not just "great" for everyone.

I like to make comps to how alcohol is regulated and/or deemed socially acceptable.
From Wikipedia, (my bolding)
"Sale or distribution of grain alcohol higher than 60% ABV is illegal (legal if it is sold by a pharmacy or drug store to a person with a prescription), but there is no upper limit for other distilled liquors (B&P 23403).[21][22]
You may serve alcohol if you are at least 21 years of age."

Not saying "cannabis good!, alcohol bad!", just pointing out some of the uneven treatment of the two in today's culture.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Thanks for sharing, I like that it discusses different states' varying implementation.
Still, I can't help but hear some of the old alarmist cries regarding potency ("omg! Its 10x stronger than when we were kids!").
Though I'll still acknowledge the need for research; clearly its not just "great" for everyone.

I like to make comps to how alcohol is regulated and/or deemed socially acceptable.
From Wikipedia, (my bolding)
"Sale or distribution of grain alcohol higher than 60% ABV is illegal (legal if it is sold by a pharmacy or drug store to a person with a prescription), but there is no upper limit for other distilled liquors (B&P 23403).[21][22]
You may serve alcohol if you are at least 21 years of age."

Not saying "cannabis good!, alcohol bad!", just pointing out some of the uneven treatment of the two in today's culture.
I agree. I think the "arms race" on potency will level out as the market matures. Plus, there are many options when it comes to consumption to avoid high potency products... First get educated on the types and effects if you're concerned. For example, you can pick up 1:1 flower for a much calmer experience and avoid being "forced" to consume higher potency cannabis. I feel the sorts of arguments in the article are red herrings and are either meant to spin or shows a lack of understanding. Using the alcohol example, it's a bit misleading to rally against the potency of grain alcohol and the fact that some college students binge drink and sometimes even die, and then draw parallels to beer and wine. On the flip side, do we believe the majority of alcohol related traffic fatalities are linked to hard alcohol? Or is it more likely beers, etc? Whatever the answer, alcohol shouldn't be more regulated either.

A key point to anyone upset by the industry focus on high THC (I don't personally love it either), there is often the option of home grow... which means you can grow "mids" or whatever you prefer. Just like the right to grow tasty garden tomatoes, home grow rights for cannabis are absolutely paramount to ensure we have real freedom of choice.

Top Bottom