Cannabis News

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I find this very sad, some of the language used in the article is just weird and so regressive, but the one burning (sorry) question I have is did she combust or did she thermally extract?

kel

FuckMisogynists!
You ban someone in a sport that weed would have zero effect in enhancing performance? Stupid people in charge.
Maybe... I find a little toke opens up my airways and makes my runs more enjoyable (not that I can in any way compare myself to this stunning vision of athleticism hehe)... so who knows? But at the end of the day it's a herb and us humans have an endocannabinoid system, so to my mind this is like banning someone for using eucalyptus so they can breathe better or for eating lot of sugar for energy; it's clearly ridiculous!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
You ban someone in a sport that weed would have zero effect in enhancing performance? Stupid people in charge.

Mixed feelings on this one... one one hand, a rule is a rule, and as a professional you should be able to follow the established rules like everybody else.

On the other hand, its the dumbest rule I've ever head and a complete bullshit one, at that. Should have been revoked years ago. I guess I would say until then... you gotta abide by the competitions rules if you want to compete.

I saw another article on this and it mentioned:

The World Anti-Doping Agency, which USA Track and Field follows, bans cannabis. Testing positive for a performance enhancement-related drug could lead to a four-year suspension but one used recreationally would more likely be between one and three months.

Thats the complete bullshit part, they KNOW its not performance enhancing, its recreational. This young lady can go home on a Friday after running her heart out, chug all the alcohol she can handle, binge drink the entire weekend (awful for recovery, btw), and compete the following Friday.

Same scenario, smokes a little bud over the weekend to relax and recover after a long week of training, she pops on a test a week later, bye bye competition.

Complete shit.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Mixed feelings on this one... one one hand, a rule is a rule, and as a professional you should be able to follow the established rules like everybody else.

On the other hand, its the dumbest rule I've ever head and a complete bullshit one, at that. Should have been revoked years ago. I guess I would say until then... you gotta abide by the competitions rules if you want to compete.

I saw another article on this and it mentioned:

Thats the complete bullshit part, they KNOW its not performance enhancing, its recreational. This young lady can go home on a Friday after running her heart out, chug all the alcohol she can handle, binge drink the entire weekend (awful for recovery, btw), and compete the following Friday.

Same scenario, smokes a little bud over the weekend to relax and recover after a long week of training, she pops on a test a week later, bye bye competition.

Complete shit.

Absolutely!

If anything it's going to impair performance, oh..what was I doing... oh yeah. meant to be running... what do you mean the 100m is over already?

florduh

I mean, arguably you could say it helps with recovery and pain relief. But probably about as much as a an Epsom salt bath. Can't really see them banning that.

I vaguely remember hearing that cannabis could be mildly performance enhancing for endurance sports like marathons or cycling. But I think the evidence is just anecdotal. I'll add my anecdote.... I can do cardio far longer with a puff or two in me. It probably just keeps me from getting bored and helps a bit with pain relief. But I can definitely lift a little more/harder than perfectly sober too.

I'm not defending banning cannabis use. The possible performance boosting benefits of cannabis are almost certainly dwarfed by mere caffeine and should probably be treated the same: you can't show up to the competition hopped up on Red Bull, but you can use it during normal training.

I also don't really give a shit about drugs in sports. I'd be fine seeing 600 foot homeruns on the regular. And it's all a moot point looking at the biotechnology coming down the pike within the next 10-20 years.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I don't disagree with anything you say, but as another perspective:

I am generally in favour of banning performance enhancing substance abuse in official competitive sports, simply because it should be about human endeavour and if one person uses drugs, then for anyone else to have a chance, they will feel under immense pressure to use drugs too. This is a slippery slope of steroid abuse horror - liver damage, cancer, heart problems, etc.

Where that line is drawn though is, as you very rightly highlight, quite arbitrary and in some cases quite ridiculous.

florduh

I am generally in favour of banning performance enhancing substance abuse in official competitive sports, simply because it should be about human endeavour and if one person uses drugs, then for anyone else to have a chance, they will feel under immense pressure to use drugs too. This is a slippery slope of steroid abuse horror - liver damage, cancer, heart problems, etc.

I guess I just think that boat sailed even without "drugs". Training these days is about as unnatural as it gets. Hypoxic training, wearable technology that measures every every biological function etc. If we're talking abut the Olympics, the entire thing is based on unfair advantage. It doesn't pay, so you need a parent to float you. If you need to start paying rent at 18, you're not going to the Olympics.

I totally take your point on the dangerous slippery slope. That boat may have sailed too though. If athletes in a specific organization aren't being tested year round, they're almost certainly taking steroids and the like while training. Tom Brady's like 45 at this point. I bet a pint of his blood (at least in the offseason) has thousands of dollars worth of drugs in it.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
So... erm... anyone know where I can get some HGH?

edit: just realised this may be taken seriously, and I have no idea if HGH is legal or not, and didn't want there to be any misunderstanding - I am being silly, I don't take drugs... oh no :rofl:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
She would have a much better argument if cannabis were not still illegal federally in this (her) country. And dollars to donuts as soon as it is taken off schedule 1, the US will force (coerce) the World Anti-Doping Agency to remove it from their list as well.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968

Why Marijuana Can Disqualify a Runner From the Olympics​

The World Anti-Doping Agency has said that marijuana “can be performance enhancing,” could pose risks to athletes and violates “the spirit of sport.”

From today 7/3/21 NYT

Its early in the morning here, but I'm going to see if taking a toke enhances my performance...at sitting around doing nothing on a cool showery holiday weekend.

The doping rules that cost Sha’Carri Richardson have a debated, political history​

blackstone

Organised crime 'far, far worse' if drugs legalised, says Ireland's police commissioner.

Advocates for decriminalisation argue that it would damage criminal gangs by targeting their main source of revenue, and say the ongoing, decades-long "war on drugs" has been a failure.

Commissioner Harris said that current police anti-drugs operations have "great effect" and denied it was time for a different approach.
"I don't believe we would just see the absence of organised crime groups, should we legalise all of these drugs tomorrow."

"I don't think anyone has successfully thought through how all of this could be, in effect, legalised."
He added: "I think the situation would be far, far worse if we just allowed, in effect, a level playing field or open season on this."
Mr. Harris was speaking at the launch of Operation Tara, which Irish police describe as "an enhanced national anti-drugs strategy".
"We've had massive interventions through 2020 in terms of seizures. So I don't believe our enforcement efforts are to no effect, I think they are to great effect"
The commissioner also warned of "unintended consequences" in other areas that could arise from legalisation.
"This is a huge public policy issue and it is a health issue as well, drugs are undoubtedly a health issue"
"There has been experience with the head shops (legal highs / synthetics), the specific health issues that that opened up, never mind the policing issues"
The commissioner's comments were described as short-sighted and insular.

==========

Commissioner Drew Harris vows to tackle ‘scourge of illegal drugs’ in Irish towns
Ireland's police have vowed to stamp out the “scourge of illegal drugs” running rampant in cities, towns and villages across the country.

==========

Mexico court rules gov’t should legalise recreational cannabis

Decision adds to pressure on Mexican legislators to approve a sweeping legalisation bill that has stalled in Congress.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Biden Suggests Anti-Marijuana Rules For Athletes Could Change Following Sha’Carri Richardson Suspension

President Joe Biden suggested on Saturday that rules banning Olympic athletes from competition for marijuana could potentially change.

“The rules are the rules and everybody knows what the rules were going in,” he said when asked about the suspension of U.S. runner Sha’Carri Richardson from at least some events at the upcoming games in Tokyo after she tested positive for cannabis.

“Whether they should remain the rules is a different issue,” Biden added, “but the rules are the rules.”

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
That is all well and good, but if you want to keep this from happening on the Olympic level you gotta talk to the World Anti-Doping Agency. Biden could only change the rules for US sports orgs...

Only the sports organizations can change those rules, Biden has no authority to do anything. All the evidence so far indicates that even if he could, he would not change the rules.

florduh

Biden's comments gave me flashbacks to when all those young White House staffers got fired for admitting to cannabis use. The WH spokesperson brushed this off saying "well you know it is Federally illegal riiiiight?"

Saying "well the rules are the rules!" is fine and dandy if you're just some asshole. But it's fucking infuriating when the people with the power to actually change the dumb rules say it.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Only the sports organizations can change those rules, Biden has no authority to do anything. All the evidence so far indicates that even if he could, he would not change the rules.
Right, he doesn't have the authority to make the change himself but I imagine he does have the influence to get them to change it if he wanted to take that position. And I agree it isn't clear that he would do so. Regardless, the USA is only one country/member of approximately 105 IOC members, many of whom still have very draconian law forbidding cannabis use and a change that would take it off the banned substance lists of the organization is unlikely any time soon. After all, there are still only 2 countries where cannabis is completely legal so far.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Right, he doesn't have the authority to make the change himself but I imagine he does have the influence to get them to change it if he wanted to take that position. And I agree it isn't clear that he would do so. Regardless, the USA is only one country/member of approximately 105 IOC members, many of whom still have very draconian law forbidding cannabis use and a change that would take it off the banned substance lists of the organization is unlikely any time soon. After all, there are still only 2 countries where cannabis is completely legal so far.
He has expressly,pointedly and very directly said he is against cannabis legalization.
😣

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Having a son who is a recovering drug addict can have a powerful influence on how you see all drugs, illicit or otherwise. I, of course, think his views are wrong, but they are not hard to understand. Over time I hope his views will soften especially with the prodding of the VP, but that remains to be seen. I still believe, while he will not lead this battle, he may get out of the way in time. If congress passed a law legalizing cannabis I think he would sign it.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Schumer is trying to get him to change his mind...he's at least trying to advance legislation.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
If the legalization bill is passed the banking bill would likely be redundant. If legalization does NOT pass, the banking bill is crucial.

This really shouldn't be a Red state Blue state thing. The state with the most liberal medical cannabis law is Oklahoma FFS. Can't get any redder than that.

Top Bottom