Cannabis News

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
Cannabidiol (CBD) in cannabis does not impair driving, landmark study shows

"Scientists from the Lambert Initiative have shown that a medically active component of cannabis does not impact driving ability and moderate THC intoxication lasts a few hours, with implications for drug-driving laws and managing medical cannabis."

If you read the methods section, you can see they chose to vaporize the herb given to the study participants

Tranquility

Cannabidiol (CBD) in cannabis does not impair driving, landmark study shows

"Scientists from the Lambert Initiative have shown that a medically active component of cannabis does not impact driving ability and moderate THC intoxication lasts a few hours, with implications for drug-driving laws and managing medical cannabis."

If you read the methods section, you can see they chose to vaporize the herb given to the study participants
I'm not sure this is a study that is going to be universally loved by the cannabis community. Apparently, there is now a pretty good study saying THC impairs driving WITHOUT the benefit of actually claiming CBD is not intoxicating. The study listed a limitation:
Meaning Although this study did not find statistically significant differences in driving performance during experimental on-road driving tests between CBD-dominant cannabis and placebo, the effect size may not have excluded clinically important impairment, and the doses tested may not necessarily represent common usage.

I don't think the study changes much in my thinking. I don't believe CBD is intoxicating in the way intoxication is meant in the law and I do believe you shouldn't drive when stoned.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2773562?resultClick=1

Tranquility,
Reactions: Summer

Tranquility

Getting out early from a 90 year stretch. For pot. Only had to do 31 years or so.

AMERICA’S LONGEST-SERVING CANNABIS PRISONER RICHARD DELISI TO BE RELEASED

“Richard’s original sentence was horrifying back in 1989; it is even more horrifying today when the State of Florida licenses, regulates, and taxes the sales of unlimited quantities of medical cannabis.”
Steve DeAngelo, Last Prisoner Project Co-Founder and Chairman Emeritus of Harborside.

U.N. Reclassifies Cannabis as a Less Dangerous Drug

A United Nations commission voted on Wednesday to remove cannabis for medicinal purposes from a category of the world’s most dangerous drugs, a highly anticipated and long-delayed decision that could clear the way for an expansion of marijuana research and medical use.
The Trump administration voted yes. Looking at the countries that voted no, the future includes cannabis.

United Nations approves WHO recommendation to reschedule cannabis in historic vote

Tranquility

While it might not even pass the house, I suspect it won't even be voted on in the Senate before the term is up. But, there's always next year. If the same bill is brought up then, here is the potential legal result:

The MORE Act Will NOT Legalize Cannabis Nationwide. Not Like You’re Thinking.

Tranquility,

Gunky

Fucking Moscow Mitch again! :mad: Is there nothing this asshole won't screw up? When he takes a break from ramming through judges the bar association terms "unqualified" - guys who have never tried a case and don't know their ass from a hole in the ground are getting lifetime appointments to federal courts - McConnell ensures cannabis bills don't make it to the Senate floor for a vote.

Last edited:

florduh

Fucking Moscow Mitch again! :mad: Is there nothing this asshole won't screw up?
He was pretty integral in getting the Hemp Bill passed. That spawned a whole industry that provides relief to millions of people. Don't get me wrong, Mitch is still a ghoul who probably only supported it because he somehow got his beak wet. But it was still a good thing.

I do think it's fucking stupid that one guy gets to shut down a bill like this though. I don't remember that from Schoolhouse Rock. If a bill passes the lower chamber, it should absolutely get a floor vote in the upper chamber. It's not like those chucklefucks in the Senate don't have the time. They've managed to do zero actual work since the summer.

It reminds me of the whole unemployment benefits debate. Why are politicians saying "we can't pay people not to work". We pay them not to work all the time. Six figure salaries.

Tranquility

He was pretty integral in getting the Hemp Bill passed. That spawned a whole industry that provides relief to millions of people. Don't get me wrong, Mitch is still a ghoul who probably only supported it because he somehow got his beak wet. But it was still a good thing.

I do think it's fucking stupid that one guy gets to shut down a bill like this though. I don't remember that from Schoolhouse Rock. If a bill passes the lower chamber, it should absolutely get a floor vote in the upper chamber. It's not like those chucklefucks in the Senate don't have the time. They've managed to do zero actual work since the summer.

It reminds me of the whole unemployment benefits debate. Why are politicians saying "we can't pay people not to work". We pay them not to work all the time. Six figure salaries.
While I don't agree with it all, the "beak wet" comes from his state's agriculture industry. Tobacco is not a growth industry. His state is/(was?) #2 on the licensed hemp acreage list.

https://mjbizdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Hemp-Report_Top-10-US-States.pdf

florduh

While I don't agree with it all, the "beak wet" comes from his state's agriculture industry. Tobacco is not a growth industry. His state is/(was?) #2 on the licensed hemp acreage list.

https://mjbizdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Hemp-Report_Top-10-US-States.pdf

For sure. Though by that logic, Mitch should be pushing his own cannabis legalization bill. Cannabis flower sells for more than Hemp, and ain't any harder to grow. So if he really wanted to help his State's agricultural industry, I have some suggestions.

florduh

Big difference between the two cultivars regards processing/handling from seed to finished product.
🙃

Yes. But I'm confident at least some farmers in Kentucky could figure it out. There's also a burgeoning quality hemp/cbd flower market. It's not all industrial hemp for CBD isolate anymore.

florduh,

Tranquility

Yes. But I'm confident at least some farmers in Kentucky could figure it out. There's also a burgeoning quality hemp/cbd flower market. It's not all industrial hemp for CBD isolate anymore.
Cocaine Mitch still has to get elected. Kentucky has some of the worst cannabis laws around. Right now, it is said:
As of Tuesday's election, Republicans will hold 75 of the 100 seats in the Kentucky House and 30 of the 38 seats in the Senate — and most of them oppose legalizing recreational marijuana.
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...t-heres-what-would-take-marijuana/6186893002/

While some may want to focus on the "R" portion of the quote, the real issue is that most of those elected do at least try to represent the wishes of the voters. Kentucky isn't ready. The Turtle knows that.

Tranquility,
Reactions: florduh

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
I was going to make some snarky comment about Arizona and South Dakota going recreational before FloriDUH. Then I remembered super "progressive" New York ain't even close to getting adult use passed :rofl:

Also, how pissed are stoners in North Dakota? An arbitrary line in the sand separates a population of Dakotans that doesn't even total the number of people living in my third-tier city. Below that line, toke up without fear of imprisonment. Crazy stuff.
I'm in sodak. It's crazy, I thought wed be last right after ND. Amendment A is being challenged by the sheriff in Rapid City using tax payers money. Situation is messed up, passed by citizens then use citizens money to try n toss the bill out.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

House gets ready for historic vote on federal marijuana prohibition​

Jessica Smith
Jessica Smith

·Reporter
Wed, December 2, 2020, 1:28 PM CST

This week the U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote on a bill that would remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act and require federal courts to expunge many prior marijuana offenses. It will be the first time the full House will vote on ending the federal prohibition of cannabis.
Morgan Fox with the National Cannabis Industry Association says House passage would “send a really strong message to not only the rest of Congress, but to a lot of other states that the time to end prohibition has come.”
The Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act (MORE Act), introduced by Rep. Jerry Nadler (D., N.Y.), would eliminate conflict between state and federal law and allow states to set their own marijuana policies.
“We don't need to have one size fits all. We just need to get rid of prohibition and then let the states do what the states are doing. It's essentially what the states have done already. They haven’t waited for the federal government, which is why we have a lot of these discrepancies and challenges,” said Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D., Ore.), who has long pushed for marijuana legalization.
Jars of marijuana are seen on display at Montana Advanced Caregivers, a medical marijuana dispensary, Nov. 11, 2020, in Billings, Mont. Recreational marijuana initiatives passed in four states this year, from liberal New Jersey to conservative Montana and South Dakota. Advocates' next goal is to get marijuana removed from a federal list of illegal drugs with no accepted medical use and high potential for abuse. (AP Photo/Matthew Brown)

Jars of marijuana are seen on display at Montana Advanced Caregivers, a medical marijuana dispensary, Nov. 11, 2020, in Billings, Mont. Recreational marijuana initiatives passed in four states this year, from liberal New Jersey to conservative Montana and South Dakota. Advocates' next goal is to get marijuana removed from a federal list of illegal drugs with no accepted medical use and high potential for abuse. (AP Photo/Matthew Brown)
Blumenauer and Rep. Barbara Lee (D., Calif.) — who also wrote parts of the legislation — told Yahoo Finance the bill is a racial justice issue.

“It’s coming at a time when Americans are recognizing how hopelessly flawed the criminal justice system is,” said Blumenauer.

‘You’ve got to repair the damage’

The MORE Act would impose a 5% sales tax on marijuana and marijuana products. The revenue would go toward a new trust fund for grant programs designed to help people “adversely impacted by the War on Drugs” access job training, re-entry services, legal aid, treatment and more. The bill would also provide protections prohibiting denial of federal benefits based on use, possession or conviction for a marijuana offense.

Maesa Story, a worker at Montana Advanced Caregivers, packs a joint with marijuana at the Billings, Mont. medical marijuana dispensary on Nov. 11, 2020. Recreational marijuana initiatives passed in four states this year, from liberal New Jersey to conservative Montana and South Dakota. The results prove how broadly accepted marijuana has become throughout the country and across party lines. (AP Photo/Matthew Brown)

Maesa Story, a worker at Montana Advanced Caregivers, packs a joint with marijuana at the Billings, Mont. medical marijuana dispensary on Nov. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Matthew Brown)
“Regardless of who you are, if you've been incarcerated and if you've done your time and you get out, you should be provided for a second chance,” Lee told Yahoo Finance. “When you've been incarcerated or when you have have a record based on unjust laws — they're really targeted in many ways, Black and Brown people — then you've got to make restitution, you've got to repair the damage. This fund is about the time that was lost because of barriers to employment, because of incarceration.”

The MORE Act would open up more opportunities for marijuana businesses, including access to Small Business Administration funding. It would also require the Bureau of Labor Statistics to gather demographic data on cannabis business owners and employees to ensure people of color and economically disadvantaged people are taking part in the industry.

“That really sets out a process for equity in the industry. This is a job-creating industry, and it also provides economic opportunities for minority-owned business owners,” said Lee.

Graphic by David Foster/Yahoo Finance

Graphic by David Foster/Yahoo Finance
The House Judiciary Committee passed the MORE Act last year 24 to 10 — Rep. Matt Gaetz (R., Fla.) and Rep. Tom McClintock (R., Calif.) were the only Republicans who voted for the bill.

In an interview with Yahoo Finance, McClintock said while he didn’t endorse marijuana, it’s clear U.S. marijuana laws have “not accomplished their goals.”

“These laws have done far more harm than good. They've created a violent underground economy and ruined the lives of so many young people who’ve had a youthful marijuana conviction, follow them and ruin their lives,” said McClintock.

The House was scheduled to vote on the bill in September, but Democratic leadership postponed the vote because some members in tight races worried passing the MORE Act before a stimulus package could hurt them at the polls.

Nearly a month after the election, there is still no additional coronavirus relief and many Republicans are again slamming Democrats for what they see as prioritizing the cannabis bill over coronavirus relief efforts.

Democrats have already passed two versions of the Heroes Act and argue it’s the Trump administration and Republican Senate that’s holding up stimulus talks.

“Passing the MORE Act is an opportunity to put an end to decades-long racial injustice against Black and brown communities. Maybe some are comfortable letting that fall down the priority list, but we are moving full speed ahead to pass the MORE Act, end the harmful prohibition of cannabis, and continue working to deliver desperately needed COVID relief to families in need,” Lee said in a statement to Yahoo Finance.

‘The momentum is building’

Marijuana proved popular with voters on Election Day, as five states passed legalization measures. In a debate earlier this fall, Vice President-elect Kamala Harris — who introduced the MORE Act in the Senate — pledged a Biden administration would decriminalize marijuana and expunge marijuana-use convictions.

Supporters acknowledge the bill could face an uphill battle in the Senate — especially if Republicans maintain control of the upper chamber. But they argue House passage would be more than a symbolic victory.

“It will allow advocates to be able to really be able to figure out exactly who supports what and help us determine who we still need to convince,” said Fox of the National Cannabis Industry Association.

Polls show an increasing number of Americans support relaxing marijuana laws. Last month, Gallup found 68% of adults — a record high percentage — want to see marijuana legalized.

Blumenauer said this issue motivates young voters, and skeptical lawmakers should keep that in mind.

“This is an issue that has galloped ahead of the politicians,” said Blumenauer. “The momentum is building. So if people are going to be on the wrong side of this, there will be a political price that will be paid.”

Tranquility

The MORE Act would impose a 5% sales tax on marijuana and marijuana products. The revenue would go toward a new trust fund for grant programs designed to help people “adversely impacted by the War on Drugs” access job training, re-entry services, legal aid, treatment and more.
Umm...ALL legal in the U.S. is going to cost 5% more to create a slush fund? No thanks.

If that's still in the bill when they vote, it is clear they're not seriously trying to pass a law.

Unless the feds provide something other than permission (Testing etc.), I don't think money should flow to them. You want a black market to be successful, that's how you get a black market that's successful. Charge a fee for freedom.

Gunky

Yeah, the 5% tax is kind of bogus, isn't it? Supposed to help repair the damage caused by the drug war all those years... And who gets to pay for said repair? The same ones who have been victimized all these years, cannabis consumers! :hmm::doh:

Tranquility

Having said all that, there is a federal excise tax on alcohol, something like 13 or 14 bux per gallon of 50% alcohol beverage. So there probably is no way to avoid some federal tax.
Why?

There are tons of excise taxes. The government loves them as they only affect those who use the item and, as long as that's not the majority, no cost to passing one--until there is. We were paying an excise tax for the Spanish American War of 3% on all long distance telephone service (Formerly, when the tax was created, a luxury tax on telephones.) up until just over a decade ago.

I understand the government will try and get money. But, let's not give it away for free.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Hey, maybe it's just me but I don't mind paying taxes as long as they aren't unreasonable. Were it not for the taxes many states legalizing wouldn't do it for what they like to call "moral" reasons. The $$ makes it a worthwhile trade for them. Politicians are used to trading away their morals for money...
If the tax money provides them enough incentive to actually do the right thing, I can live with that. Services must be paid for and the money has to come from somewhere. I would personally rather see it coming from the folks who have most of it, but that is another discussion for some other thread.

florduh

Cocaine Mitch still has to get elected. Kentucky has some of the worst cannabis laws around. Right now, it is said:
As of Tuesday's election, Republicans will hold 75 of the 100 seats in the Kentucky House and 30 of the 38 seats in the Senate — and most of them oppose legalizing recreational marijuana.
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...t-heres-what-would-take-marijuana/6186893002/

While some may want to focus on the "R" portion of the quote, the real issue is that most of those elected do at least try to represent the wishes of the voters. Kentucky isn't ready. The Turtle knows that.

Cocaine Mitch could come out in favor of cocaine decriminalization and he'd still win both his primary and general elections by 20 percent. Also I'm fairly certain those mean 'ol Kentucky Republican legislators recently approved a medical program. Mitch could easily spin his support of federal legalization as a pro-States' Rights stance. Federal legalization doesn't nullify State laws after all.

This is the same "conventional wisdom" Democrats use as an excuse for not supporting legalization. I'll be blunt: I simply do not believe any politician in any jurisdiction will pay a political price for supporting legalization. It's a fantasy in 2020. I understand 30-40% of Americans when polled will say they're against cannabis legalization. But I do not believe a meaningful percentage of them care enough about the issue to change their vote based on that alone.

Matt Gaetz is a Conservative Republican representing a Conservative district in Floriduh. He is also a legalization proponent. He even went so far as to publicly make fun of a Trump Admin official opposed to legalization. He has paid no price for this. In my opinion, this whole excuse is just outdated thinking.

Gunky

Washington Post: House poised to vote to decriminalize marijuana as GOP resists national shift on pot

By
Mike DeBonis
Dec. 4, 2020 at 11:34 a.m. EST
The House is set to endorse a landmark retreat in the nation’s decades-long war on drugs Friday, voting to remove marijuana from the federal schedule of controlled substances and provide for the regulation and taxation of legal cannabis sales.

The measure is not expected to pass into law, and, due to political skittishness, it is coming to a vote only after the November election and more than a year after it emerged from committee. But the House is taking a stand at a moment of increasing momentum, with voters last month opting to liberalize marijuana laws in five states — including three that President Trump won handily.
The vote marks the first time either chamber of Congress has voted on the issue of federally decriminalizing cannabis.

Friday’s vote, however, is expected to take place largely along party lines, with Democrats voting overwhelmingly to support the federal decriminalization bill and Republicans likely to broadly oppose it.

“We are not rushing to legalize marijuana — the American people have already done that. We are here because Congress has failed to deal with a disastrous war on drugs and do its part for the over 50 million regular marijuana users in every one of your districts,” said Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), a longtime liberalization advocate. “We need to catch up with the rest of the American people.”
Top Republicans — including House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — made derisive public comments about the bill this week, painting the measure as a frivolous diversion from the task of funding the federal government and delivering a new round of emergency coronavirus aid to Americans.

One headline from McConnell: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) decides to “puff, puff, pass” on emergency coronavirus relief.

Top Bottom