Cannabis Hardware (formerly NewVape) FlowerPot Twax Vaporizer

tylerj55

@NewVape710 is it possible to order the vrod without a dish? I have a halo sic and sapphire dish I would like to use with it. I also have a coil and enail already. Do I just need a joint adapter and the retaining nut on top of the vrod?

tylerj55

Only If he shouldn't already have the D-Nail gen 2 Carb Cap I guess.

EDIT: BTW any first experiences with the new 28mm NV SiC dish? How is it compared to the old NV 25mm and the D-Nail SiC dishes?
So if I have the d-nail gen 2 carb it’ll fit over the retaining nut on the vrod?

tylerj55,

Alexis

Hey all! I've probably spent most of yesterday and today combing over this thread and others like it for info on this super interesting piece. Thanks so much to everyone for helping lurkers like me get the info they're looking for. I ended up ordering the HUGE showerhead bundle/kit with a glass bowl last night and I can't tell you how excited I am.

This is going to be a long post so please humor me! I'm just going to explain what brought me here, which might help you folks determine if the flowerpot was the right decision for me :)

I've been searching for a replacement for my daily driver...my bong. I've been a daily toker (fairly heavy user) for just under 10 years and for most of that time I've been spoiled by some pretty great bongs. I just love that feeling after taking a huge bong rip. Not much else compares. (I live in an illegal state so I've never had the luxury of dabs or anything like that). I understand, though, that some of that feeling could be coming from a lot of the nasty stuff that comes with smoking and I'm just associating it with being high.

I wanted to dip my toe into vaping a few years back and purchased a Firefly 2. It did the trick for what I needed, but I wouldn't recommend it to too many people. It sits collecting dust nowadays, unless I pack it before heading to the movies or something. I then bought a Lotus vaporizer bowl attachment and tried it out with my bong. I really loved the concept of it but I HATED using the butane as the torch I had sucked and messing with fuel really made me dislike the whole vibe of getting 'medicated' that way.

So, I've been a pretty heavy daily bong user. I can feel the toll it's taking on my body even though I'm a fairly healthy guy. i need to hock loogies and after smoking it's dark and it grosses me out, as it should. I don't see smoking as good idea in the long-term even though I love it. So, I began the search for a new vape.

I immediately started looking at the Volcano as it seemed to be pretty revered throughout 10 years of toking. I've never had the opportunity to try one, but I love how easy it seems to use. The noise of the bags I'm 50/50 on, the cost of the bags I'd like to do without. I was THIS close to buying the whole volcano shebang on Saturday night, but I decided to sleep on it. Like I said, I spent most of Sunday researching and the flowerpot just kept coming up. I liked the concept of easy vaping with bags...but I just couldn't help but feel like I'd miss using glass. I was already looking into the magma/obsidian attachments for that water-vibe.

I was a bit intimidated by the flowerpot set-up at first. I watched the demonstration video with a whole hard-shell case of gear and was like 'oh my god.' But the more I really thought about it I realized how simple it is. I'm still a bit anxious about it, but I'm more excited about how awesome it could be.

So, was the flowerpot a good route to go for a heavy bong-user/person with my vape experience? My main motivation was keeping my health in mind. I'm just looking for a similar smoking experience as I get now, just vaping instead with an awesome futuristic rod to heat up my bong bowl.

And I know it's always 'the grass is always greener' with any type of smoking piece investment, but I have a really good feeling about the flowerpot. Thanks for your time!
Dude, a very warm welcome and a nice post with very well thought out and expressed points. I would say your thinking and reasoning seems very accurate on just about all points.

Now let me just say that if you came to me today describing your situation and needs and asked me to recommend you a vaporizer I would be telling you outright to look into the Flowerpot system.

I think there is a very good chance that you will find this to be a suitable switch which will massively benefit your health but also will hopefully enable you to get even more enjoyment from your weed and certainly use even less of it in the process, while safeguarding the future of your precious lungs you will need them one day.

Good luck getting acquainted with your new toy I look forward to hearing more about it.

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
@NewVape710 is it possible to order the vrod without a dish? I have a halo sic and sapphire dish I would like to use with it. I also have a coil and enail already. Do I just need a joint adapter and the retaining nut on top of the vrod?

I modified the vrod listing so the dish is not required. https://www.newvape.com/vrod-flowerpot-head

macor cnc lathe chips are about to hit the chip pan. Fingers crossed

cascades

I'm not sure how much of the cost of a flower pot is related to materials. It may be the macor version of the FP could be somewhat more expensive. However, it sounds like you are in a position to do a small run of these an see what the reception is.

Some vendors produce a high end product to show what they can do and to help sales of more mass market items in their product line. I'm not sure if that would work in your case but it is worth some thought.

macor scheduled to deliver tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion @invertedisdead

We will start with machining a shovelhead bowl and post.

The material looks very expensive as compared to titanium.

macor_vers_titanium.jpg
Cool sounding stuff that Macor.

I wonder if it could be implemented as the showerhead heating element.. instead of the nicely machined block of Ti?

That is if it is less of an irritant than Ti can be.

Chicken #420

I and I be Irie Vaping with U and U in Zion, mon!
Re: MACOR machineable ceramic...

I researched it, and the machineable ceramic compound MACOR contains Fluorine as one of the chemical elements in its formula! :o

You guys all have fun... but I personally have ZERO desire to bring a heat source anywhere near a Fluorine compound and inhale the results. No matter how "safe" people CLAIM this will be. Remember Radium medicine anyone? Doctors endorsing cigarettes? Flint, Michigan tap water? Open air nuke testing? Lots of great stuff in the past has been deemed "safe", then later turned out to be... well... no so much. :)

Sure, maybe you're only inhaling parts per trillion or quadrillion, but yeah... no thanks anyway. Just sayin'... :)

Last edited:

cascades

I think this is legit concern. However, I'd keep in mind that MACOR has thermal properties rather similar to glass. What might be feasible here is to machine using MACOR and then glaze with real glass, which would preserve a 100% glass vapor path. I think I'd talk to a potter here before I'd give up.

Re: MACOR machineable ceramic...

I researched it, and the machineable ceramic compound MACOR contains Fluorine as one of the chemical elements in its formula! :o

You guys all have fun... but I personally have ZERO desire to bring a heat source anywhere near a Fluorine compound and inhale the results. No matter how "safe" people CLAIM this will be. Remember Radium medicine anyone? Doctors endorsing cigarettes? Flint, Michigan tap water? Open air nuke testing? Lots of great stuff in the past has been deemed "safe", then later turned out to be... well... no so much. :)

Sure, maybe you're only inhaling parts per trillion or quadrillion, but yeah... no thanks anyway. Just sayin'... :)

Papagiorgio

Dude, a very warm welcome and a nice post with very well thought out and expressed points. I would say your thinking and reasoning seems very accurate on just about all points.

Now let me just say that if you came to me today describing your situation and needs and asked me to recommend you a vaporizer I would be telling you outright to look into the Flowerpot system.

I think there is a very good chance that you will find this to be a suitable switch which will massively benefit your health but also will hopefully enable you to get even more enjoyment from your weed and certainly use even less of it in the process, while safeguarding the future of your precious lungs you will need them one day.

Good luck getting acquainted with your new toy I look forward to hearing more about it.

Hey! Thanks everyone for your replies and feedback. I'm even more excited to try the flowerpot out now, and even more confident it was the right choice for me :) I will report back with my findings once I receive it (sometime next week, I'd imagine, seeing as they ran out of enails when I ordered my bundle)

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
We have several ceramic nails in house including hive. I now believe there all made from some form of MGC (Machineable Glass Ceramic) Macor is a corning trade mark name there's others. Last week (not knowing ceramic could be machined) I would have bet money they were molded or cast. Now I'm rethinking that there all machined. There's no signs of parting lines or drafts inherit in molding. If anyone knows different please let me know. I'm also seeing a lot of dental implants made from MGC. I'll start looking on the FDA site for other medical devices using Macor. Even if this doesn't lead to any next gen flowerpot parts I still like the idea of knowing we can do this. Thanks for the challenge @invertedisdead I'm going to move forward with machining the vrod from ceramic. Perhaps you all can help us hash out the safety factor. The only reason for starting with the vrod is because it has fewer parts and is made from smaller dia material. At this point I'm keeping the sic dish on top as I've never been a fan of the of a dirty ceramic nail.

macor_1.jpg

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
Any rough idea what a macor VROD will run? I might as well get one...

I'd only be guessing at this point. I'll need to machine 30 of them to get a better feel for cycle time, and tool wear, and scrap. So far we are running the same feeds and speeds as titanium. This would indicate any price increase would only be the raw material. This is all only speculation and i'm really good at putting my foot in my mouth.

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
I'm going to move forward with machining the vrod from ceramic. Perhaps you all can help us hash out the safety factor. The only reason for starting with the vrod is because it has fewer parts and is made from smaller dia material. At this point I'm keeping the sic dish on top as I've never been a fan of the of a dirty ceramic nail.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but the heat sink properties of a metal such as titanium would suggest it would be better at transferring/conducting heat from a coil to the air.. well perhaps not as efficiently as stainless, but then again titanium will cool down quicker than stainless. That said I see any MGC as an insulator, which would be fine for a bowl and would likely not need a separate post as was done with the adjustabowl, but to use MACOR as an air heating mass does not seem very efficient. I for one would miss the durability of the the current ShowerHead/VRod (that's me imagining MGC is more fragile). @NewVape710 regardless of making the VRod out of MACOR or anything else, I love the desire to continue trying new things, you rock! Respect! -YaMon #FlowerPower!

JCat

Accessory Maker
We have several ceramic nails in house including hive. I now believe there all made from some form of MGC (Machineable Glass Ceramic) Macor is a corning trade mark name there's others. Last week (not knowing ceramic could be machined) I would have bet money they were molded or cast. Now I'm rethinking that there all machined. There's no signs of parting lines or drafts inherit in molding. If anyone knows different please let me know. I'm also seeing a lot of dental implants made from MGC. I'll start looking on the FDA site for other medical devices using Macor. Even if this doesn't lead to any next gen flowerpot parts I still like the idea of knowing we can do this. Thanks for the challenge @invertedisdead I'm going to move forward with machining the vrod from ceramic. Perhaps you all can help us hash out the safety factor. The only reason for starting with the vrod is because it has fewer parts and is made from smaller dia material. At this point I'm keeping the sic dish on top as I've never been a fan of the of a dirty ceramic nail.

macor_1.jpg
Thermal conductivity of Macor isn't great though correct? (Wikipedia mentions its a "good thermal insulator" in the 3rd sentence!)

This would mean as a material for a VROD head it wouldn't be great at quickly transferring the temperature between the coil and the SiC dish (unless I'm missing something here)

I've actually been thinking about this for a while, and to be honest I think aluminum would be the best material as far as thermal conductivity as their would be very little lag between coil temp and dish temp that way. Using aluminum, although not typically used here, I believe would result in much higher performance; as far as safety concerns, there really should not be any, as aluminum is stable to >1000F ... ~1280 if I remember correctly (temps well in excess of what are required ... I never go over 630, and usually sit at 585). 6061 alloy would likely be fine but 7075 would be even better :)

So ...
- SiC dish
- head out of 7075T6 aluminum
- Macor bowl
- Macor carb cap?
- Ti dabber :)

This would be fucking awesome!

Edit: @YaMon ... you beat me to it apparently!!! :lol: (at least for part of what my post was about :) )

Alexis

Thermal conductivity of Macor isn't great though correct? (Wikipedia mentions its a "good thermal insulator" in the 3rd sentence!)

This would mean as a material for a VROD head it wouldn't be great at quickly transferring the temperature between the coil and the SiC dish (unless I'm missing something here)

I've actually been thinking about this for a while, and to be honest I think aluminum would be the best material as far as thermal conductivity as their would be very little lag between coil temp and dish temp that way. Using aluminum, although not typically used here, I believe would result in much higher performance; as far as safety concerns, there really should not be any, as aluminum is stable to >1000F ... ~1280 if I remember correctly (temps well in excess of what are required ... I never go over 630, and usually sit at 585). 6061 alloy would likely be fine but 7075 would be even better :)

So ...
- SiC dish
- head out of 7075T6 aluminum
- Macor bowl
- Macor carb cap?
- Ti dabber :)

This would be fucking awesome!

Edit: @YaMon ... you beat me to it apparently!!! :lol: (at least for part of what my post was about :) )
So does this mean you are not still working full time on my Quartz SV3?
I wont even bother asking for a macor version now I guess.:disgust:
:lol:

McBagginz

Hey all! I've probably spent most of yesterday and today combing over this thread and others like it for info on this super interesting piece. Thanks so much to everyone for helping lurkers like me get the info they're looking for. I ended up ordering the HUGE showerhead bundle/kit with a glass bowl last night and I can't tell you how excited I am.

This is going to be a long post so please humor me! I'm just going to explain what brought me here, which might help you folks determine if the flowerpot was the right decision for me :)

I've been searching for a replacement for my daily driver...my bong. I've been a daily toker (fairly heavy user) for just under 10 years and for most of that time I've been spoiled by some pretty great bongs. I just love that feeling after taking a huge bong rip. Not much else compares. (I live in an illegal state so I've never had the luxury of dabs or anything like that). I understand, though, that some of that feeling could be coming from a lot of the nasty stuff that comes with smoking and I'm just associating it with being high.

I wanted to dip my toe into vaping a few years back and purchased a Firefly 2. It did the trick for what I needed, but I wouldn't recommend it to too many people. It sits collecting dust nowadays, unless I pack it before heading to the movies or something. I then bought a Lotus vaporizer bowl attachment and tried it out with my bong. I really loved the concept of it but I HATED using the butane as the torch I had sucked and messing with fuel really made me dislike the whole vibe of getting 'medicated' that way.

So, I've been a pretty heavy daily bong user. I can feel the toll it's taking on my body even though I'm a fairly healthy guy. i need to hock loogies and after smoking it's dark and it grosses me out, as it should. I don't see smoking as good idea in the long-term even though I love it. So, I began the search for a new vape.

I immediately started looking at the Volcano as it seemed to be pretty revered throughout 10 years of toking. I've never had the opportunity to try one, but I love how easy it seems to use. The noise of the bags I'm 50/50 on, the cost of the bags I'd like to do without. I was THIS close to buying the whole volcano shebang on Saturday night, but I decided to sleep on it. Like I said, I spent most of Sunday researching and the flowerpot just kept coming up. I liked the concept of easy vaping with bags...but I just couldn't help but feel like I'd miss using glass. I was already looking into the magma/obsidian attachments for that water-vibe.

I was a bit intimidated by the flowerpot set-up at first. I watched the demonstration video with a whole hard-shell case of gear and was like 'oh my god.' But the more I really thought about it I realized how simple it is. I'm still a bit anxious about it, but I'm more excited about how awesome it could be.

So, was the flowerpot a good route to go for a heavy bong-user/person with my vape experience? My main motivation was keeping my health in mind. I'm just looking for a similar smoking experience as I get now, just vaping instead with an awesome futuristic rod to heat up my bong bowl.

And I know it's always 'the grass is always greener' with any type of smoking piece investment, but I have a really good feeling about the flowerpot. Thanks for your time!

Hey man! Welcome. You basically summarized where I came from in regards to smoking. I also nearly purchased a volcano. I too had to have something that let me use all my much loved glass but in a way that is as healthy as possible while still giving the desired effects.
I’ve been vaping with the flowerpot since March/April. It’s incredibly versatile. Small flavor hits all the way up to monster goodnight milk hits. And I get to use it with all my glass! Love it!

Every once in a while I’ll combust a bowl of some new strain I found because I just have to know. Aaand it always tastes like crap haha. I shake my head and think what a waste and then I load a bowl into the flowerpot and go to flavortown on fluffy clouds packed with potent effects... yeah:nod:

Grifo

Hey man! Welcome. You basically summarized where I came from in regards to smoking. I also nearly purchased a volcano. I too had to have something that let me use all my much loved glass but in a way that is as healthy as possible while still giving the desired effects.
I’ve been vaping with the flowerpot since March/April. It’s incredibly versatile. Small flavor hits all the way up to monster goodnight milk hits. And I get to use it with all my glass! Love it!

Every once in a while I’ll combust a bowl of some new strain I found because I just have to know. Aaand it always tastes like crap haha. I shake my head and think what a waste and then I load a bowl into the flowerpot and go to flavortown on fluffy clouds packed with potent effects... yeah:nod:
i can only combust with clean glass or joints now. The taste of resin makes me gag . Though i haven't combusted with glass in over a year. I do still smoke joints occasionally if i am with friends because its the only way i can still blaze with them since they dont vape.

Top Bottom