Cannabis affects your REM sleep (alcohol also)

Do you see dreams, when you consume ?

• Yep (evening/night usage)

Votes: 41 37.3%
  • Nope (evening/night usage)

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Yep (only day usage)

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Nope (only day usage)

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • I have never paid attention

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

DrJynx86

I read a time ago THC is given to PTSD patients with nightmares from war time.

When I'm on a break, I usually start having this extremely vivid dreams when I'm being chased on spectacular situations, those are something I would love to have regularly while I'm not on break which is basically all the time.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Have noticed on heavier consumption days that my resting heart rate is quite a bit higher than days with a more normal consumption.

Interesting. I haven't noticed a higher resting HR when using cannabis, but I certainly see it when drinking regularly. When I'm drinking regularly my resting heart rate is often in the 90 - 100 bpm range (I know, that's a very not good resting heart rate). It goes down to the 70 - 80 bpm range if I stop drinking for a while.

Yeah, about RHR, I just switched to higher CBD strains and dont consume before bed. It seems stable under 60, according to my Fitbit Charge 5.

What are your devices to track your heart rate ?
What HR do you experience while high ?
(Mine spikes from 80 to 100 on average, higher range if overdoing it and feeling anxious)

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Yeah, about RHR, I just switched to higher CBD strains and dont consume before bed. It seems stable under 60, according to my Fitbit Charge 5.
What are your devices to track your heart rate ?

Fitbit Sense. Tracking between 43 to 45 with an occasional spike to 47.

His_Highness,
Reactions: Hawaiian

thx1138

Vaping THC before bed reduces the number of dreams I remember, but I still wake up remembering my dreams every other night. Since dreaming is basically just your brain making up stories and then getting scared by them, I'm ok with the reduction :lol:

I do get concerned with sleep quality though. On his recent stream with Troy, @stickstones mentioned an MMA fighter who does THC during the day, and CBD at night. He apparently always remembers his dreams. I found this interesting since I have the exact opposite schedule (CBD during the day/THC at night). Might be worth switching to CBD a few hours before bed to see if it improves sleep quality.
I have been taking time off from a substantial vaping habit, where I vaped all throughout the day (retired, so I can do it if I want, lol). I have been taking CBD gummies every night before I go to bed, as they really help with sleeping. Since the break from vaping thc rich weed, and maintaining the CBD gummy use, I have had really intense dreams that I easily remember. I don't like the dreams, as they are filled with old friends that have moved far away, or I have moved far away from, and I miss them dearly. I also have intense dreams about being back in college, with all the stress of pre-exam periods thrown in there for a real nightmarish effect. I have been considering going back to vaping thc rich weed just to get rid of the dream memories, not to mention the other wonderful effects of thc rich weed, like pain reduction, increased appetite, and the feeling of bliss I used to get. CBD gummies only with no thc weed for over two months has created a massive spike in dreams and heavy sleep. Sometimes, I wake up at 7:00 am and go to sleep again for about a half hour, and I have another intense dream during that period. Its nuts, and I never had this experience before I stopped vaping thc rich weed, and stayed with two 25 mg CBD gummies. My wife takes one gummy and she sleeps like a baby, but she never used thc rich weed. I sent some CBD gummies to my sister, who wakes up all through the night. She is sleeping now for extended periods and dreaming as well. However, she has not taken a break from thc.

Last edited:

howie105

Sometimes dreams, yes, sometimes dreams, no. Sleep can be a real challenge for me, so I have to be careful when and what I consume. For example, THC-0 seems to mess with my sleep for a couple of days after use, but my garden variety indica is fine if I don't overdo it.

oldfool

Never used to dream while I was a weed smoker.
I have quit several times over the decades and after
a week or two I would start dreaming like a madman.

These days, after vaping instead of smoking,
I know I've been dreaming but can't quite remember them.

A year or two ago, while vaping heavily,
there was a few weeks where I dreamed and remembered a lot.
And it was always the same blond short haired girl in them, she seemed to be my girlfriend in the dreams.

I find habitual/daily use definitely effect my REM sleep. As soon as I stop within a couple days I am getting vivid dreams, which are rare when I use daily.
I've had one time and the only when I experienced a self-controlled dream. It was when I stopped vaping for more than one month. If you want to experiment, you could try to not consume weed, alcohol and coffee at least 3 hours before bed. I found that I can still see dreams by doing it this way.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I was vaping flower heavily for years, then also used edibles in the last few months for pain relief. I just tried to quit cannabis for a month and it was the worse withdrawal ever. I think the edibles deepened the addiction. I experienced almost 2 weeks of stomach issues, pain, and lack of sleep. It was impossible to deal with as I have work to do so I had to re-stock and get the vapours flowing again.

Typically for me taking a break resutls in insomnia or horrific nightmares that destroy sleep for a few days, then a few weeks of being bored, but this was much more physical, hard and long-lasting.

I have chronic insomnia (from childhood, well before cannabis) and found cannabis the least unpleasant sleep aid ( in terms of immediate side effects) that actually works... but the long-term side effects are certainly serious in my experience.
The guy in the video above is right, it is not a sleep aid.
The lack of REM sleep cannot be healthy... but I think the real issue is that most cannabis users get physically lazy and do not do enough exercise, which leads to poor quality sleep.

Some chronic users seem to deal with it better than others but almost every chronic user I know inlcuding myself has developed some physical or mental issue that can be possibly related to cannabis and especially its effect on sleep.
I estimate I have lost /damaged at least €5000 worth of stuff over the years because of short term memory loss or just being clumsy because of being too medicated/ tired...

:razz:

Some chronic users seem to deal with it better than others but almost every chronic user I know inlcuding myself has developed some physical or mental issue that can be possibly related to cannabis and especially its effect on sleep.
I estimate I have lost /damaged at least €5000 worth of stuff over the years because of short term memory loss or just being clumsy because of being too medicated/ tired...

:razz:
Moderation is the key, huh? :myday:

Hawaiian,

gotbadvas

For example, THC-0 seems to mess with my sleep for a couple of days after use, but my garden variety indica is fine if I don't overdo it.
Funny you say about the acetylated THC messing up your sleep. Do you take it orally? I have taken 100mg D9 THC-O along with 50mg D8 THC-O later in the evening and notice similar disruption to my sleep as standard D9 THC taken orally. I use it for damage to my nervous system cause by a medical condition but I think I have to give up my late night edible dang it.

gotbadvas,

howie105

Hello gotbadvas
I stopped in at the new legal dispensary and left with a sample of 19% THC-0 "flower" and vaped .06 g of it a few of times with the same effects on my sleep cycle. As to oral, sadly not my thing, sorry I can't offer any insights.

gotbadvas

Hello gotbadvas
I stopped in at the new legal dispensary and left with a sample of 19% THC-0 "flower" and vaped .06 g of it a few of times with the same effects on my sleep cycle. As to oral, sadly not my thing, sorry I can't offer any insights.

Thanks for the information howie. Just so you are aware if it was flower they spray cbd buds with the distillate dissolved in solvent. I personally would stick with the distillate itself and don't personally vaporize acetylated cannabinoids as there may be a type of ketene gas generated.

gotbadvas,

howie105

Thanks for the information howie. Just so you are aware if it was flower they spray cbd buds with the distillate dissolved in solvent. I personally would stick with the distillate itself and don't personally vaporize acetylated cannabinoids as there may be a type of ketene gas generated.
Yhea, I know, but curiosity as to what the state is indirectly promoting got the best of me. At least they won't bust me for growing anymore.

howie105,

gotbadvas

Yhea, I know, but curiosity as to what the state is indirectly promoting got the best of me. At least they won't bust me for growing anymore.
No biggie just a heads up. I no doubt smoked plenty of solvents and worse in my day lol! Already slept better on what was my second night without tincture.

gotbadvas,

rodders83

I have a need for it on medical grounds due to two nightmares per night recently. I got some strains sent to try and oil and ive had 0 nightmares and its been a month. I tried Khiron Hindu Kush and Glory Cookies and the cookies strain really makes me sleep like a baby.

But the oil wakes me up after 6hrs, And i dont notice feeling happy i notice sedation mostly and ive a feeling its not for me. Its an Indica oil 20/0 10ml.

gotbadvas

I just came off a little 9 or 10 day break I didn't plan on it so I didn't keep perfect track of time. I didn't start getting any crazy dreams this time but maybe it wasn't quite long enough. But last night when I ended the break with a little GG #4 I had a pretty vivid dream.

I probably just didn't wait quite long enough and I was about to start having them and since I only vaped a small amount and took melatonin I still was able to have one.

I didn't intend to take the break anyways but I guess I know I need to hold out a little longer if I want to have the really crazy almost lucid dreams I have had before.

350ro87

Never dream when I vape before bed, everytime I have a break they come back strong and very vivid. I'm currently day 3 with no cannabis so I'm expecting them to start any night. I've actually gone back to using cannabis just to stop them because they can be absolutly terrifying lol

PeteyS

Im going through this right now. I am a every day vapourist and just recently decided to use just on weekends.
Now that im sober from sun-thus, the first thing i noticed was having vivid dreams, that i can remember once i wake up.
Some of the dreams are very strong, some good , some bad. I ve come to the conclusion that some of it is due to my withdrawal from weed, and that the dreams will slowly start to balance them selves out as I continue this "only weekends" trend.
But to answer your question, when i was vaping every night, i wouldn't remember any dreams at all, not even sure if i had them.

DrJynx86

I think some are confusing not dreaming and not remembering dreams... not quite the same...
THC supposedly makes the sleep cycle even deeper than REM?

For me, when I'm on a break, I live the dreams, they are like crispy and colorful like going to an IMAX, very real, long, and definitely lucid, I have control, but this is because I practiced all my life before starting using cannabis as adult.

When I'm vaping, 99.9% of the times I don't remember them, but if it happens, I might dream something but it's like watching and old black and white VHS and very short.

cosimo

THC supposedly makes the sleep cycle even deeper than REM?

For me, when I'm on a break, I live the dreams, they are like crispy and colorful like going to an IMAX, very real, long, and definitely lucid, I have control, but this is because I practiced all my life before starting using cannabis as adult.

When I'm vaping, 99.9% of the times I don't remember them, but if it happens, I might dream something but it's like watching and old black and white VHS and very short.

yup, same over here.

cosimo,
Reactions: DrJynx86
Top Bottom