Cannabis affects your REM sleep (alcohol also)

Do you see dreams, when you consume ?

• Yep (evening/night usage)

Votes: 41 37.3%
  • Nope (evening/night usage)

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Yep (only day usage)

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Nope (only day usage)

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • I have never paid attention

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

nomchomesky

Not dreaming is the no. 1 reason I vape. I do semen retention and get wet dreams when I'm on a long streak. I'm currently on day 81 and I've never made it this far sober.

I've been doing this for years, the benefits are tremendous! It increases testosterone and motivation. It makes you more attractive and more social.

I'm not saying it's healthy long term but for me it's worth it.

Not dreaming is the no. 1 reason I vape. I do semen retention and get wet dreams when I'm on a long streak. I'm currently on day 81 and I've never made it this far sober.

I've been doing this for years, the benefits are tremendous! It increases testosterone and motivation. It makes you more attractive and more social.

Day 81 :whoa: To rise up your testosterone levels, you could also improve your diet, sleep and do sports. :nod:
But yeah, stay strong, man! :rockon:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

I dunno about that. I actually remember a doctor who specialized in sex issues telling me it's a good idea to masturbate at least 5 times a week if possible, to keep the plumbing healthy. Sexual abstaining is not normally good for you.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I do remember my dreams more often when I'm t breaking, but I always took it like that → it's not that I'm not dreaming or dreaming less when I'm consuming, I'm just having a harder time remembering dreams. From what I know it would have a very bad impact if we would actually not dream even for a few days, although I'm not sure where I read that and if it's still considered to be true.

I'm not an expert when it comes to sleep, but I do monitor my sleep since a few weeks (light sleep, deep sleep, REM, breathing frequencies, heart rates etc.) and the numbers I get are pretty much within normal ranges. Will be interesting to see if and how they change when I have my next t break.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I do remember my dreams more often when I'm t breaking, but I always took it like that → it's not that I'm not dreaming or dreaming less when I'm consuming, I'm just having a harder time remembering dreams. From what I know it would have a very bad impact if we would actually not dream even for a few days, although I'm not sure where I read that and if it's still considered to be true.

I'm not an expert when it comes to sleep, but I do monitor my sleep since a few weeks (light sleep, deep sleep, REM, breathing frequencies, heart rates etc.) and the numbers I get are pretty much within normal ranges. Will be interesting to see if and how they change when I have my next t break.

Yeah, you take the experimental t-breaks so I don't have to! :rofl:

nomchomesky

THC does impact REM sleep. I'm sure there's individual variation but studies and my own testing with a Zeo headband sleep monitor confirm it. At the time, I found my deep sleep was extended a little and I usually woke up before entering REM.

Also dreaming isn't essential. Many ancient tribes reported never dreaming. That's not the same thing as not dreaming from smoking, but your brain doesn't need to dream.

VapurrDo

Hi there. I studied dreams a bit, and the fix to dreaming while using Marijuana, is to take B-100 vitamins (1-2 per day is nice)

I even got some friends to take 3-4 B100s at once, and could get them into a "hypnosis-dream" state, about 30 minutes later , while they were also high on weed and drank a couple beers (it in the middle of the night, so at a good time for dreams, not in the day ! ) . Obviously, MMJ still disturbs the sleep cycles, but the added B vitamins really make the dreams kick off easier, as it plays on serotonin (B6/magnesium is pretty crucial for it !) To add to the B100, calcium/magnesium supplements are great... or just eat Bananas !

vinnyzan

Hi there. I studied dreams a bit, and the fix to dreaming while using Marijuana, is to take B-100 vitamins (1-2 per day is nice)

I even got some friends to take 3-4 B100s at once, and could get them into a "hypnosis-dream" state, about 30 minutes later , while they were also high on weed and drank a couple beers (it in the middle of the night, so at a good time for dreams, not in the day ! ) . Obviously, MMJ still disturbs the sleep cycles, but the added B vitamins really make the dreams kick off easier, as it plays on serotonin (B6/magnesium is pretty crucial for it !) To add to the B100, calcium/magnesium supplements are great... or just eat Bananas !
Instead of the B vitamins, Try some decaf green tea before bed I definitely noticed having some vivid dreams. I kind of wonder if its a bad idea to take the vitamins right before bed. Do you think you might be putting some strain on your kidneys taking vitamins right before bed ? Pretty sure vitamins give you way more MG then what your body can take in at once. Then you excrete what you dont need when you pee. If you go right to sleep I wonder if that has any kind of negative effect. If your taking that much B before bed your urine must be radioactive looking in the morning.

Any one interested in remembering dreams better check out Jodi Whitely on youtube, She does sleep hypnosis to remember your dreams and I think it works. I wouldn't let the term hypnosis scare any one away, you can think of it like a guided meditation.

"Exploring the world of lucid dreaming" is also an interesting book.

Last edited:

darbarikanada

I think you need to differentiate between not remembering dreams vs. not having them. it was established a while back that if you're deprived of REM sleep (when dreams occur), you go insane pretty fast (they did experiments where they woke the subject up every time he/she went into REM state), i.e. didn't let them have REM sleep.

if the daily cannabis users weren't having REM sleep, there'd be a lot more insane people out there.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
My wife rattles the walls every night, all night with her snoring. After 35 years I've not only become used to the snoring.....I need to hear it to sleep peacefully. The deviations in the snoring can briefly cause me to wake. These brief eye-openers can occur mid-dream which I think is why I can remember some of my dreams regardless of the herb and alcohol. I enjoy my dreams. Even the scary ones. I try get back into the dream when those brief eye-openers occur and sometimes I can actually get back to the dream.

The best of the worst are those "I can't move dreams" because there is a couple seconds between the start of the eye-opener and becoming more awake where I can't move and feel it completely. Normally I can't get back into those paralyzed dream states but if I'm lucky I can get back into the dream itself.

I talk in my sleep often when the dream is vivid which sometimes wakes my wife. I find it ironic that she complains about my talking in my sleep when her snoring causes the pictures on the walls to shift. How can she even hear me over her snoring? I don't think it's the sound of my talking so much as her trying so hard to figure out what I'm saying. She once asked me who was I calling out to because it sounded like a female name.....I just said I don't remember the dream because.....no way I was going to say "Your sister".

Did one more time a day without MJ and guess what... 2-3 dreams in a row again. Its blowing my mind every time.

Hawaiian,

dallasxus

CBD makes me sleep so much better and I wake up feeling very refreshed.
I much prefer it over sleeping pills that make you feel like a zombie when you wake up.

Ganjora

Also a runner, and live with a heart rate monitor permanently attached.
Have noticed on heavier consumption days that my resting heart rate is quite a bit higher than days with a more normal consumption.
Sleep poorly every night (5h30), so haven't really noticed anything there.
I never dream.

Ganjora,
Reactions: Hawaiian

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Have noticed on heavier consumption days that my resting heart rate is quite a bit higher than days with a more normal consumption.

Hm, I can't confirm this. I just had a mini t break for four days, resting heart rate was at an average of ~40 (as it was before the break). Yesterday I went back to vaping and definitely overdid a bit → resting heart rate for the night was at 40, despite the heat wave we experience these days.

resized-Screenshot-20220628-154240-com-garmin-android-apps-connectmobile.jpg

T break starts at Thursday („Donnerstag“) and ends at Monday („Montag”). Just saying. My HR seems to be affected by taking days off from running much much more.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Read an article recently talking about REM sleep being adversely affected by THC. The article implied that REM time increases as THC in the body dissipates. According to the article....In some cases REM is held off by THC until later in the sleep cycle when the THC has worn off more and that this can cause folks to sleep later as their body tries to catch up on the REM sleep missed earlier.

Can't comment on the Resting Heart Rate and my use because I haven't taken a T-break in over 4 decades. :rockon:

Ganjora

Wow. Interesting.
My resting HR is lowest on monday, low tues to thurs, high higher & highest friday sat & sun.
I rest on monday, run locally tues to thurs and do longer harder runs friday sat and sun.
I work mon to thurs a full day (less consumption), halfday friday (higher consumption) sat & sun I'm off.
I thought my resting HR was consumption related, it appears its not.
Thanks for solving the mystery.

Top Bottom