Canna-Weird News

CurryLeafTreehugger

Man, I used to *dream* about stumbling onto something like that....
I had a friend who used to "beachcomb" a particular section of Florida coastline in the 60s. He was looking for dumped bales of weed. He found a fair few. He said you had to discard the sea-water soaked outer layer but there was plenty still good in the middle of the bales.

Last edited:

Whisper

That's the old days. Now, the people finding weed and coke turn it in. There are many men in my town with riches from the 70's and 80's. In the early days, there was fun to be had, money to be made.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

blackstone

BBC UK FEB '21

"When trying to sell your house and your estate agent is bringing an off-duty police officer for a viewing, it's probably best you remove your cannabis grow,"

Cannabis found by off-duty Essex police officer during house viewing

"The officer was being shown around the house in Dedham in Essex when he came across 40 plants in the garage."
"The off-duty officer visited a house on Birchwood Road at the weekend and a warrant to carry out a search was executed by colleagues on Monday."

florduh

He didn't smoke anything in the UAE though. He didn't even possess any usable drugs, unless Dubai is crawling with vampires. I'm shocked these dummies are going this far. Locking up a sick Westerner doesn't really look good for a tourist destination like Dubai. Although a Vegas-style party city in an autocracy never made much sense to me.

Tranquility

He didn't smoke anything in the UAE though. He didn't even possess any usable drugs, unless Dubai is crawling with vampires. I'm shocked these dummies are going this far. Locking up a sick Westerner doesn't really look good for a tourist destination like Dubai. Although a Vegas-style party city in an autocracy never made much sense to me.
"This" far? Yup, totally the plan. Not the first time either. (Although, if the guy can prove he only used outside the UAE, he might be OK.)

Cannabis in the United Arab Emirates – The Law, Local Attitudes and Other Info
Dubai International Airport is equipped with cutting-edge technology that enables a remarkably high detection rate for illegal drugs.

For example, a device (thought to utilise an advanced technique known as terahertz spectroscopy) in use since around 2008 allows customs officials to detect microscopic quantities of banned substances on shoes, and has led to several notorious cases—such as that of Briton Keith Brown, who was arrested and jailed for four years (but released after four months) after 0.003 g of cannabis was detected on the sole of his shoe.

Passengers travelling to or through the UAE may be subject to random searches and even blood and urine tests. If more than 50 nanograms of a banned substance is found in the urine, it is sufficient grounds for an arrest for possession.

There are several cases of arrests on the basis of bloodstream or urine analysis; however, if it can be proven that consumption of the substance occurred in a different country, it may be possible to avoid prosecution. In 2004, the Supreme Court ruled that law enforcement officials had no authority to prosecute drug-users if consumption occurred elsewhere.

The article is worth it for this tidbit alone. What do kids in the UAE use to get small? Ants.
According to a notable health official in UAE, over a third of the country’s young children (some as young as 13) have smoked red ants as a legal substitute for cannabis.

Smoking red ants creates a similar ‘high’ to cannabis, though health professionals in the country are concerned about the safety of the habit. Although no official studies have taken place, it’s believed that smoking red ants could cause serious health conditions, such as lung fibrosis, kidney failure and central nervous system damage.

Dr Wedad Maidoor, head of the Ministry of Health’s tobacco control team, comments that the only action that can be taken is to “include this practice in our new anti-smoking campaign, which is aimed at young adults and teenagers.”

Down that webhole and we find 1/3 of the yoots are crushing the critters for a legal smoke.

florduh

Jesus Christ, fuck that place! Smoking red ants definitely has a prison toilet wine feel to it. Which makes sense since Dubai sounds like a prison, albeit one with expensive, gaudy architecture. I'm pretty sure giving your wife a peck on the cheek can land you in prison there too.

While I still think this "possession" case is bullshit, the guy absolutely should've done a 3 second Google search before traveling. He definitely has the time as a 51 year old retired video game designer. I have two friends who code for major video game companies. Neither are poised to retire at 50. They're struggling to make ends meet in SF and LA, despite working 14+ hour days. They're not sitting in a UAE jail either though.

Tranquility

I have two friends who code for major video game companies. Neither are poised to retire at 50. They're struggling to make ends meet in SF and LA, despite working 14+ hour days. They're not sitting in a UAE jail either though.
Kids today. Even when (much) younger, I don't think I could have done actual work for 14+ hours a day. (At least not for more than a couple of days.) I can barely put in around 11 now and THAT is only because I see a finish line. (Four months of hard work and the rest of the year on easy is a good trade-off if you can do it.)

Tranquility,
Reactions: florduh

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Kids today. Even when (much) younger, I don't think I could have done actual work for 14+ hours a day. (At least not for more than a couple of days.) I can barely put in around 11 now and THAT is only because I see a finish line. (Four months of hard work and the rest of the year on easy is a good trade-off if you can do it.)

I hear ya. I've been working 70-80 hour weeks most weeks in the last couple of years.
It sucks.

Ramahs,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

I've been thinking about what constitutes "actual work" over this past bizarre year. There are plenty of people with clickety-clack jobs who've been able to work from home, having their groceries and drugs delivered by recently laid off restaurant workers. My impression is...some of these jobs don't entail a great deal of "actual work". Bullshitting on Zoom and sending emails ain't exactly tilling the fields.

But.... coding, in my opinion, is "actual work" despite being a clickety-clack job. Especially in the video game industry, from my understanding. Because there's always some sort of deadline. It sounds pretty nightmarish. I had a decent job coding Ruby and Java for an ecom company in my 20's and there were 70 hour weeks to meet deadlines, but it was not the norm. Having to produce code that actually works for a full 14 hours is exhausting. It sort of ruined something I used to love. I've heard that a lot from programmers.

Adobewan

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

California authorities dismantle 'the most elaborate illegal marijuana grow they've ever seen'

More than 20,000 cannabis plants have been discovered in what authorities are calling an elaborate and sophisticated growing operation in Fresno Valley, Calif., reports ABC 30.
189560608_4124821154306186_2270336842789618545_n-Cropped.jpg

Top Bottom