Camouflet Convector

coolbreeze

I've been getting really good results just heating the edge of the spinning bowl from the side and then top with a .5" flame, ~4sec each for several nice Vapman-like hits from a ~2/3 bowl, with no stirring, leaving fairly even AVB. The pic exaggerates the color differences just a little bit:
IMG-4062.jpg

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
several nice Vapman-like hits from a ~2/3 bowl, with no stirring
Like the Vapman you can char the bowl by getting too aggressive with the heating. Or, like you imply, you can go easier on the rate of extraction and get a more even colour throughout. I think I might get better flavour from this then the Vapman btw. Especially with the tip mounted on a glass Revolve stem set to wide open. Although I'll change my mind tomorrow

coolbreeze

Like the Vapman you can char the bowl by getting too aggressive with the heating. Or, like you imply, you can go easier on the rate of extraction and get a more even colour throughout. I think I might get better flavour from this then the Vapman btw. Especially with the tip mounted on a glass Revolve stem set to wide open. Although I'll change my mind tomorrow
It's a surprising vape. I wouldn't make a Vapman comparison lightly, but the flavor is really pretty darn good and it holds up well throughout the bowl. I've gotten some pretty big hits out of it, but yeah, a slow, even roast with modest hits is a really nice, flavorful session. Vapman-like.

Last edited:

Perfect_Speed4069

I've gotten some pretty big hits out of it
Don't get me wrong, I love a big cloud as much as the next person. But the obsessive focus (present company excepted) of many users on total fast extraction has worrying echoes the mentality of hedge funds and private equity. Rate of return/speed of extraction is only one metric.

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Don't get me wrong, I love a big cloud as much as the next person. But the obsessive focus (present company excepted) of many users on total fast extraction has worrying echoes the mentality of hedge funds and private equity. Rate of return/speed of extraction is only one metric.
I vape until I get no more vapor 😂my abv turns to dust

Camouflet

Manufacturer
😲
(Sorry, didn't realize there was already a thread for this)
Yes, we just opened a separate thread for the Inductor, Camouflet's new desktop induction heater. Check out more info and details in the Inductor thread!

Kudzu407

Para-Vaper

I have spent some time with the Convector and really like it. It is capable of some really tasty vapor. I use it with my Dynacup IH and works great. 15 seconds gets light but very crisp vapor and then a 12 second clean up. I never got the o rings quite right with the stem so I pulled out my KG Woodcrafts stem and they work great together. This is a new wake and bake contender in my lineup.

gotbadvas

I haven't heard anyone mention this but how do you compare the butane usage or wand battery life to the dyna tips? I am looking for an alternative to the dyna with similar battery / torch life.

Perfect_Speed4069

how do you compare the butane usage or wand battery life to the dyna tips?
I can't speak for IH performance but a standard Dynavap heat up takes me 35-45 seconds with a single flame. This gives me two or three huge clouds. The Convector is up and ready in 7 seconds or so, and then I generally do 6 or 7 seconds again. Then maybe another 3 cycles before I'm done. So for me, about the same.

seriousTone

Stopped using the convector for a week or two and just came back to it last night and this morning.

Damn this little guy can be sneaky - at least for my tolerances. Tasty low temp hits but the vapor is so cool even at higher temp hits, they can get ya real quick.

Really really love the ceramic condensers.

darkstar72

Stopped using the convector for a week or two and just came back to it last night and this morning.

Damn this little guy can be sneaky - at least for my tolerances. Tasty low temp hits but the vapor is so cool even at higher temp hits, they can get ya real quick.

Really really love the ceramic condensers.
How is the four hole ceramic condenser? VAS has me thinking about this one; I hate the heat of my dynavap on the back of the throat. I assume it would be a nice upgrade to the dynavap (19M with ti tip and low temp cap) as I think I prefer convection.

seriousTone

@darkstar72 It's so good, if I were to only buy one I'd get the four hole everytime.

A bit tighter airflow and the vapor is super cool. I can let it hit the tip of my tongue and it doesn't feel hot at all.

That being said, the single bore doesn't feel that much hotter to me but I just prefer tighter airflow.

Last edited:

seriousTone

Ain't the holes to small to clean with a q-tip ?
Yes wayyyyy too small, but I just throw the condenser into a dynavap plastic doob tube with iso and salt - shake and they come out completely clean pretty damn quickly.

Sometimes I throw the tip in too, without the o rings, but just be careful shaking as not to break the condenser.

Hey all, I saw this device a few days ago and it looks cool but I have a few questions if any of you have some time:

1.) Does the short heat up time make this potentially a bit more stealthy to use when you’re out? I live in a legal state but I’d rather not have to get the sideye from people worrying I’m cooking crack/meth rocks to smoke instead of bud like with a dynavap.

2.) Is the ceramic tube worth getting on its own for some unlined dynavap wooden stems I have? I’m thinking they could potentially stop the wood from getting soaked in as much resin without affecting taste too badly but if I’m mistaken please let me know because that’s an uneducated guess on my part. Do these ceramic tubes fit normal dyna sleeves because that the size my wood stems are?

3.) I have many steel stems and would prefer to get both types of ceramic tube and the cap/tip combo for only slightly more money than the Convector bundle that comes with the case and stem (both of which I don’t need I think). Is that a bad idea though? Any insight would be helpful.

coolbreeze

Hey all, I saw this device a few days ago and it looks cool but I have a few questions if any of you have some time:

1.) Does the short heat up time make this potentially a bit more stealthy to use when you’re out? I live in a legal state but I’d rather not have to get the sideye from people worrying I’m cooking crack/meth rocks to smoke instead of bud like with a dynavap.
Probably, it does take less time to heat but the style is similar.
2.) Is the ceramic tube worth getting on its own for some unlined dynavap wooden stems I have? I’m thinking they could potentially stop the wood from getting soaked in as much resin without affecting taste too badly but if I’m mistaken please let me know because that’s an uneducated guess on my part. Do these ceramic tubes fit normal dyna sleeves because that the size my wood stems are?
Ok, I'm not gonna actually take mine out because it's a challenge, but I did fit a normal DV condensser with x-ring into the end of my Camouflet stem and it fits perfectly-slightly tight. It seems like the ceramic tubes should fit/work fine. I think you'd get similar results from a normal condenser in terms of cleanliness, tbh, though the ceramics may keep the flavor nice with a bit of add'l cooling. The 4-hole tube is a bit more constricted, but it's the one I use.
3.) I have many steel stems and would prefer to get both types of ceramic tube and the cap/tip combo for only slightly more money than the Convector bundle that comes with the case and stem (both of which I don’t need I think). Is that a bad idea though? Any insight would be helpful.
I think your approach is sound. I prefer to use mine on DV stems; the spiky glass ones cool well and let the flavor shine, but they fit my metal--and wood--stems fine.
IMG-4199.jpg

Probably, it does take less time to heat but the style is similar.

Ok, I'm not gonna actually take mine out because it's a challenge, but I did fit a normal DV condensser with x-ring into the end of my Camouflet stem and it fits perfectly-slightly tight. It seems like the ceramic tubes should fit/work fine. I think you'd get similar results from a normal condenser in terms of cleanliness, tbh, though the ceramics may keep the flavor nice with a bit of add'l cooling. The 4-hole tube is a bit more constricted, but it's the one I use.

96a054c518571eb2a87e1f6c9bd480c4_crop_north.jpg

I feel I can make an informed purchase now. This is next on my buy list after the vapman that you also helped me with. Thanks again for the thorough and helpful answers.

seriousTone

I think you'll still look like a crackhead lol...the short heat up time I guess helps but unless you're going for 1 hit extractions - it might be a hassle heating and counting, then taking a puff to see if it's at the right temp and then having to heat again if not.

*edit - what I mean is, if you're just trying to get a couple really good hits, you'll probably be alright but if you're trying to be sneaky, its much harder to get small vapor hits once the load is half cooked

Imo the ceramic condensers are worth a purchase alone but definitely with the tip. And yes the condensers fit into dynavap intended stems PERFECTLY.

In my experience the o rings fit even better as well than in the convecter stem - which people have been saying they need smaller o rings but I think actually the convecter stems maybe need to be reamed out just a thousandths or so in the future and the o rings won't fit as tight.

Last edited:

Herbalist23

I think you'll still look like a crackhead lol...the short heat up time I guess helps but unless you're going for 1 hit extractions - it might be a hassle heating and counting, then taking a puff to see if it's at the right temp and then having to heat again if not.

*edit - what I mean is, if you're just trying to get a couple really good hits, you'll probably be alright but if you're trying to be sneaky, its much harder to get small vapor hits once the load is half cooked

Imo the ceramic condensers are worth a purchase alone but definitely with the tip. And yes the condensers fit into dynavap intended stems PERFECTLY.

In my experience the o rings fit even better as well than in the convecter stem - which people have been saying they need smaller o rings but I think actually the convecter stems maybe need to be reamed out just a thousandths or so in the future and the o rings won't fit as tight.
Have you tried the x rings from dynavap on the ceramic condensers? Maybe the fit isn't so tight then?

Herbalist23,
Reactions: Madri-Gal
Top Bottom