California Cannabis News

Adobewan

"California is now paying for the two fatal errors it made when designing its program," says Adams. "They loaded it up with too many taxes, and too many regulations."
Nail on the head.

florduh

I think State governments are overregulating and overtaxing cannabis for two reasons. One, this is a puritan country. Cannabis taxes are literally "sin taxes". We'll let these potheads buy their drugs, but we can't make it too easy.

But much more importantly.... every State government is captured by corporations. Corpo interests write rules and regulations to benefit themselves over smaller businesses.

From lax and unregulated state testing, supply chain issues, remediation of contaminated cannabis, (not once, but twice using harsh chemical solvents and is NOT disclosed to consumers), to the failure to implement the basic standards of lab analysis and the incomprehensible nature of the testing results, which make it impossible to compare one brand's numbers to another, the regulations support mass-production of the lowest quality cannabis products in California. In other words, the regulations support uninformed consumption, deception, and corporate greed, regardless of consequence.

Decades ago I visited a couple of coffee shops in Amsterdam. It was a great experience! San Francisco is probably too expensive, but perhaps we'll see one in the East Bay...

BTW someone asked earlier in this thread about the scarcity of walk-in dispensaries between SF & San Jose. I don't know what happened to the plans for JUVA's shop, but an Embarc dispensary opened in Redwood City earlier this year.

topographic,
Reactions: macbill

Gunky

Santa Barbara county is now the state’s undisputed capital of legal cannabis
Interesting article. So flower is now down to $400/lb in CA? Some of those huge facilities seem over-optimistic to me. People came scurrying in like this was a gold rush only to discover there was an existing bunch of people who had been producing for generations and didn't pay taxes. And that everybody and his brother Joe were scurrying into the biz too. A bubble developed and now it is popping. Hoo-ray for legalization!

Adobewan

Interesting article. So flower is now down to $400/lb in CA? Some of those huge facilities seem over-optimistic to me. People came scurrying in like this was a gold rush only to discover there was an existing bunch of people who had been producing for generations and didn't pay taxes. And that everybody and his brother Joe were scurrying into the biz too. A bubble developed and now it is popping. Hoo-ray for legalization!
News to me as well. I have yet to see flower anywhere near $400/lb here in SoCal.

High-quality ounces for as little as $100 from some delivery services, but on average I'd say you're still looking at $200/oz, and likely $1,200-$1,600/lb.
But, with memories of $600 ounces, $100 an ounce for top quality is YUGE.
Still, if any of the community here can point me to some of those $400 units, down here in SoCal, I know a lot of people who are going to be happy.

What I also found of interest was the small causing breathing issues. I wasn't aware of the smell causing health issues due to trace amounts of tar and ammonia. If true, I appreciate the efforts made to scrub the air, but it makes me consider the smell of harsh pesticides at local strawberry farms, or even in people's home gardens.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Maybe the $400/lb is a wholesale number for certain suppliers and not what you can expect to pay as a consumer?

Photonic,
Reactions: Adobewan

florduh

His "latest enemy" is the same enemy every CEO has: Unions. He's lying and crying about the UFCW, the union that represents cannabis industry workers in CA.

We're at the point in the Legalization Journey where Corporate Cannabis CEO's are engaging in union-busting. Can't decide if this is depressing or not:hmm:.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Top Bottom