macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Last edited:
macbill,

Gunky

(Washington Post article)​

The casualties of California legalizing pot: Growers who went legal

A blue state’s taxes and regulation have boosted corporate producers, leading to the near-death of the small cannabis farmer

PETROLIA, Calif. — The Wild Cat Road skips along a ridge line, a narrow half-paved, half washed-out track that once carried much of the world’s finest marijuana to market.
Even in mists that obscured its treacherous course as it bows toward the Pacific, the road hummed in tune with the family weed farms around it. Now there is little cannabis to carry, nor “trimmigrants” who traveled here to the Mattole River Valley to pick the flower that made Humboldt County shorthand for the best marijuana around.

“I’m not making it,” said Drew Barber, 48, who has grown cannabis here for more than 15 years, watching the price for his product shrink from $1,200 a pound to about a third of that today. “I can’t lose money from one year to the next, and it’s getting to be that time when I have to decide if I can go on.”

The irony, bitter and true, is shared on the front porches of hillside homesteads across this valley where the King Range mountains and the San Andreas Fault meet the sea. The once-mystical heart of the nation’s marijuana industry is dying, fast, strangled not by law enforcement but by the high taxes and baffling regulation that have crushed small farmers since state voters approved legalization almost six years ago.

The story of Humboldt’s fate highlights how inconsistently this influential blue state has treated a quintessentially blue-state industry, a product once rogue and now a public tax bonanza. In the first quarter of this year alone, cannabis taxes delivered nearly $300 million in revenue to the state and additional money to the counties that have embraced what they once punished.
Following legalization, state officials made several far-reaching decisions that have effectively driven many small cannabis farmers to the brink of insolvency while consolidating a $5 billion-a-year legal market in the hands of industrial-scale growers, most of them based far from these northern reaches.
The chosen course concentrated much of the tax and regulatory power at the state level, dominated by Democrats who often decry corporate influence, and left counties and cities, some far more conservative, with broad discretion over whether to even establish a cannabis industry.

The state imposed multiple taxes across the cannabis supply chain, a burden unmatched in other nearby marijuana-legal states. At the same time, the state declined — after initially signaling it would do so — to limit the size of cannabis cultivations or the number of grower licenses it would issue to farmers.
As a result, the state is now awash in tax revenue, much of it from the industrial-scale farmers and retailers, and in marijuana, a market glut that has gutted wholesale prices and left farmers such as Barber unable to break even. The state rules and omissions have also empowered a still-thriving black market for marijuana — once a chief target of state regulators — whose growers sell their product illegally across state borders and still fetch a lucrative price.
Here in the Humboldt hills, the changes resulting from state policy decisions have also precipitated the slow fade of a unique out-there-alone way of life, pioneered by disillusioned migrants who had soured on the post-1960s vibe farther south.
In the renegade days, a farmer could get $4,000 a pound for Humboldt flower, the plant’s coveted bud. Today, not far from Barber’s operation, one farmer recently dumped three pounds of cannabis at the desperation price of $100 a pound. Others are simply walking away from already cultivated plots.
“The government has actually managed to do in just a few years what the war on drugs couldn’t do in decades,” said Natalynne DeLapp, executive director of the Humboldt County Growers Alliance, which represents a few hundred small farmers here. “It has killed the cannabis market.”

(rest of article)

Last edited:

DrJynx86

It's 400 a pound or 800 the kilo and they claim they cannot make it?

I think they waited too long to be more productive or are doing really bad agriculture, maybe they only rely on 1 grow/harvest per season where they could be doing multiple per year with CA climate, or indoor farmers aren't as efficient as they should.

With Cannabis you make the same money a Soy farmer does in 10000 square meters (1 hectare = 100x100 meters = 1 "common" city block) with only ONE SQUARE METER. And you don't have to invest millions in farming equipment/etc.

Now, if the problem is cannabis is "too cheap", that's also quality issues, I'm sure top flower is still being paid outrageous prices, and even, if it's still too cheap, they can still try to export dry flowers to many world markets that are opening and they still charge +30 per gram in those places.

DrJynx86,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

My county has a 33% tax on cannabis split between four different taxes.
That's $33 on every $100 spent.
It most certainly affects peoples willingness to visit dispensaries.

Most people I know are also turned off by the excessive measures taken to verify someones age.... it's not even remotely that intrusive and time consuming when buying other age dependent taxable products such as cigarettes or alcohol.

A friend of mine who works in the industry tells me the high taxes will purposely be used to declare this business model as failed; at which big tobacco will then enter the market, at much reduced government controlled tax rates, and reap the sown market.

Can't confirm or deny the last part completely, but that's precisely what PACT essentially did to ENDS sellers...!

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Last edited:

Gunky

The vid is absolutely correct. In light of what has happened, I invite members to re-examine my posts in the AUMA thread from 6 years ago. I predicted everything that has happened! People called me an arrogant asshole for opposing AUMA. Here's a sample: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/...and-the-rest-think-of-auma.21135/post-1038316
I wish I knew how to communicate to you how this measure changes the entire playing field for cannabis growing in California and in one fell swoop disenfranchises and dispossesses a class of folks who have done a fine job for us over the years and don't deserve to be sacrificed on the altar of convenience and 'legalized' bragging rights, replacing them with a nascent 'big cannabis'. Because the main impact of this measure is not to make cannabis available in CA. It already is. I don't hear anyone complaining about not being able to get it or being put in jail for possession. In fact there is no longer anyone in prison in CA for simple possession of small amounts! Jerry Brown mentioned this recently. The purpose of this proposition is to establish a framework for large-scale canna businesses and to steer the direction of the industry as a whole in CA, tilting the field to the advantage of the big guys in the process. The rest of it is window dressing.

This does not make cannabis legal or available; it changes who gets to produce it, phasing out the existing mom and pop small growers and replacing them with big canna. I predict that many small guys making on the order of 5-15K per year now with this crop will look at license fees, testing fees and taxes and decide fuck all that and go black market. Yippee, legalization. (twirls index finger in air)

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

California voters approve a dozen cannabis ballot measures to expand retail

calif-license-update.webp

macbill,
Dang! I live in San Mateo County and it is a 20 minute drive to the closest dispensary. At least we have delivery...

Hang in there, Capt. You might see a Redwood City dispensary within walking distance of Caltrain sometime in 2023:

Adobewan

Initial plans include licensing for 20 different pot farms, six cannabis distributors, five cannabis manufacturers and two retail dispensaries, according to a Barstow City Council agenda

6 dispensary licenses were approved in Redwood City so the cannabis desert between San Jose and San Francisco/Pacifica will soon be fixed. Should see openings early 2023.
Any thoughts on how these farms play out or the possible ramifications?

Adobewan,
Reactions: macbill
Any thoughts on how these farms play out or the possible ramifications?
I don't think there is any connection between 6 new dispensaries in Redwood City and the grandiose plan for Barstow. I find it hard to believe that will be a success. But what do I know?

archangelz001,
Reactions: Adobewan

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
UC San Diego researchers found that just 366 Californians over the age of 65 visited ERs in 2005 for cannabis-related issues. But by 2019, that figure shot up to 12,167, NBC San Diego reports.
It's worth noting that the study shows that while ER visits spiked between 2013-17, they plateaued in 2017, the year weed became legally available for recreational use, so legalization does not appear to be connected to an increase in ER visits by seniors for cannabis-related issues."

macbill,
Reactions: Adobewan

Knewt

UC San Diego researchers found that just 366 Californians over the age of 65 visited ERs in 2005 for cannabis-related issues. But by 2019, that figure shot up to 12,167, NBC San Diego reports.
It's worth noting that the study shows that while ER visits spiked between 2013-17, they plateaued in 2017, the year weed became legally available for recreational use, so legalization does not appear to be connected to an increase in ER visits by seniors for cannabis-related issues."
Amateurs, they need to start out younger so they have experience when they finally decide to relax.

Knewt,
Reactions: macbill
Top Bottom