• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Brilliant Cut Grinder

CurryLeafTreehugger

Well *I* certainly care about the color! Especially at those prices! OBVIOUSLY if it didn't already function in a superior fashion I wouldn't even be considering it. Look at all the thousands of different grinders out there that I am NOT CONSIDERING.

So I'll just toodle along, enjoying thoughts of jewel-toned grinder goodness, smellfungi notwithstanding.

EDIT: But while we are at it, consider that these are ALL anodized, and the color comes from dye added at that time. So waiting for jewel tones takes exactly as long as waiting for a plain grey anodized grinder

Last edited:

RiskyRaccoon

this might sound dumb, but it's a surprisingly easy way to clean stuff, so I thought I'd ask: Can the BCG be safely cleaned using a torch? You'd have to remove the plastic buffer at the least, but I'm curious how the aluminum would take it. Hoping that someday BCG makes a titanium model

RiskyRaccoon,

sirwalter

Anyone else who has had their grinder for a while showing signs of wear? Mines about a year old- there are a few spots where there has obviously been metal on metal contact and the anodizing is wearing away. Mostly where the center pin on the middle piece meets the magnet lid. Kind of surprised/disappointed it happened that quickly.

TheBlackLodge

this might sound dumb, but it's a surprisingly easy way to clean stuff, so I thought I'd ask: Can the BCG be safely cleaned using a torch? You'd have to remove the plastic buffer at the least, but I'm curious how the aluminum would take it. Hoping that someday BCG makes a titanium model
I'd think the anodization might not take well to the heat and you might end up degaussing the magnets.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

In addition to the above, torching it is just going to leave a lot of burnt black herbal residue, like I don't see why that would help clean it, I think it's going to make it much much harder to clean! So yeah I would suggest definitely not doing that lol just rinse each piece individually in a ziploc filled with iso, scrub under hot water with a toothbrush. Pretty quick and easy to do really! Although I've never done it with mine, coming up on 2-year anniversary with aquamarine fine, starting to seem like I should clean it finally though!

Anyone else who has had their grinder for a while showing signs of wear? Mines about a year old- there are a few spots where there has obviously been metal on metal contact and the anodizing is wearing away. Mostly where the center pin on the middle piece meets the magnet lid. Kind of surprised/disappointed it happened that quickly.

Yeah this is normal, that is the spot most people see it, I try to be careful with how I put it together, when herb is loaded, for that first turn, sometimes you can feel how it could happen... Still modest wear compared to other grinders with lower quality aluminum, but yeah you are not alone in your surprised disappointment, nothing's perfect!

sirwalter

Yeah this is normal, that is the spot most people see it, I try to be careful with how I put it together, when herb is loaded, for that first turn, sometimes you can feel how it could happen... Still modest wear compared to other grinders with lower quality aluminum, but yeah you are not alone in your surprised disappointment, nothing's perfect!
Thanks- I wasn't sure if this was typical or not. I've tried to be careful with it, but I do use it quite a bit.

SquirrelMaster

Yes I have some wear on my small. It also happened quickly for me and I agree it is dissapointing. I don't like it from an aesthetics point of view but I'm not worried about it health wise as I think there are much more dangerous things I encounter in my day to day life PLUS the BCG is just that good of a grinder when it comes to effortless grinding (if you can grip it that is). I don't believe that any aluminum grinder will ever not show wear if it's making repeated contact.

I'm hoping on the large it's better especially because of the loading zones which should hopefully help limit center pin contact if the teeth line up correctly. I'm always very gentle with mine which I'm sure helps but I goofed and dropped it from counter height a few months back and took anodizing off the rim of the bottom piece. Broke my heart :( .

RiskyRaccoon

In addition to the above, torching it is just going to leave a lot of burnt black herbal residue, like I don't see why that would help clean it, I think it's going to make it much much harder to clean! So yeah I would suggest definitely not doing that lol just rinse each piece individually in a ziploc filled with iso, scrub under hot water with a toothbrush. Pretty quick and easy to do really! Although I've never done it with mine, coming up on 2-year anniversary with aquamarine fine, starting to seem like I should clean it finally though!
I completely disagree, once you torch stuff like this you can rinse away the rest w/ water. I am worried I'd screw up the magnet if I torched it, but otherwise I wish I could.

RiskyRaccoon,

Shit Snacks

I completely disagree, once you torch stuff like this you can rinse away the rest w/ water. I am worried I'd screw up the magnet if I torched it, but otherwise I wish I could.

Yeah I'm someone who never wanted to torch my screens to clean them, prefer to use iso personally, so definitely different perspective! But if you think it would be okay why don't you try and control the flame to not hit the magnet somehow, maybe? I think it would be more effective to dunk it in boiling water if anything, I don't know if that could affect the magnets either...?

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Siebter

RiskyRaccoon

Yeah I'm someone who never wanted to torch my screens to clean them, prefer to use iso personally, so definitely different perspective! But if you think it would be okay why don't you try and control the flame to not hit the magnet somehow, maybe? I think it would be more effective to dunk it in boiling water if anything, I don't know if that could affect the magnets either...?
ISO is very tough to get a hold of right now, due to the pandemic. If you're using ISO, there's a decent chance it's not food grade, in which case there are impurities in the ISO that I would never want up in my grinder, even after rinsing. Boiling it does an ok job if I also boil w/ dish soap, but then I have to boil it again afterwards to mitigate the dish soap smell. The nice thing about torching is that it's relatively clean, the only impurities are potentially from the butane. I might try torching it, but I'll start with the piece that doesn't contain a magnet

Shit Snacks

ISO is very tough to get a hold of right now, due to the pandemic. If you're using ISO, there's a decent chance it's not food grade, in which case there are impurities in the ISO that I would never want up in my grinder, even after rinsing. Boiling it does an ok job if I also boil w/ dish soap, but then I have to boil it again afterwards to mitigate the dish soap smell. The nice thing about torching is that it's relatively clean, the only impurities are potentially from the butane. I might try torching it, but I'll start with the piece that doesn't contain a magnet

Actually spent a lot on some fancy iso 99.9% online, but normally it's a medical 91% drugstore kind... I think now I don't want to clean mine even more so lol fortunately I don't really have to! Let us know how it goes

Shit Snacks,

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
GFL recommends iso or dish soap and water. I recently bought a gallon of 99% off Amazon.

https://grindersforlife.com/faq/

I ordered a large on 2/7. I'm trying to be patient but I'm hoping to get a shipping notice soon. I'm tired of my S&B plastic grinder.

edit to add - A quick google search on torching anodized aluminum says don't do it.

https://www.ganoksin.com/article/he...e the oxide layer is,will be much weaker also.

"Based on an examination of the samples, the following concept was developed. The coefficient of thermal expansion of aluminum oxide is less than that of aluminum. Upon heating, the aluminum will expand more rapidly than the oxide layer developed by the anodizing treatment. This causes the surface oxide layer to be pulled into tension. The oxide film breaks along the lines perpendicular to the direction of maximum expansion. At the point where the oxide layer fractures, fresh aluminum is exposed. It oxidizes immediately, but its freshly oxidized area will be thinner than the surrounding electrochemical anodized oxide layer. It will also be colorless.

Upon cooling, the aluminum inner structure will shrink more than the oxide layer and this will cause the oxide layer to compress. Because the oxide layer is much thinner along the cracked lines, the layer will be much weaker also. In areas away from the cracks, the thick oxide layer will exert a stronger restraint on the inner aluminum during cooling than right at the cracked regions where the oxide is quite thin. In the cracked region the restraining force of the oxide is weaker and the inner aluminum structure bulges outward, possibly producing further cracking in thin layers along the previously cracked locations. In cross section, the tips of the protrusions have a jagged appearance similar to that of a volcano crater, and this is typical of all samples examined and provides evidence for the above explanation."

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

Still shows some as AVAILABLE, clicking from US. There was a bunch of other ones as well, I just picked the cheapest one, knowing the audience. I happily paid $50 for a gallon, months ago, when everyone said it was unavailable...
At least in my area, you couldn't find a bottle of iso at any drug or large box store for months. But from day one, I've been able to find 99% iso in gallon sizes for $30 at hardware stores all over town. I bought two fearing they would disappear soon too, but they've always been available and price has held at most stores.

I've always soaked my grinders after removing any friction disks or such that can be. 20 minutes of soak and a toothbrush to loosen anything still around with a great rinse has been my routine. My BCG has had the magnet come loose from this, but a dot of Gorilla Super Glue fixed that.....so far.

NimChimpsky

YMMV but I would never torch my grinder to clean it... Especially a non-SS one (I have a BCG due in a couple weeks and can't imagine torching would be good for it or as effective as an iso dunk/scrub.). I also don't torch my screens as I find just ISO preferable. Torching always seems to make things black and harder to clean for me...

Top Bottom