Pen Boundless Technology TERP Pen

I just took mine apart. The picture makes it look worse than it really is. It's a tiny teeny singe. At almost 70 years old, growing up in a Midwestern manufacturing city breathing sulfur, rubber and steel and smoking dope and cigarettes for 50+ years.... this amount of melting plastic in not concerning me.

2j5kk1h.jpg

I just got back from 2 weeks in San Diego and I must say to anyone who lives there that you have the nicest, most polite, friendliest people I have ever met. Looking forward to moving there.

Last edited:

Rasputin

Bobcat @ VLife. Le__Bobcat @ IG
I just took mine apart. The picture makes it look worse than it really is. It's a tiny teeny singe.
Thanks for taking the time to post. It's disconcerting though. Maybe more members will post their pens. ✌

This design does appear flawed IMO. I would put a ceramic disk(or similar ex. PEEK) above the insulate with 2 small holes to run the bare wire to the coil, or encase the top part in ceramic/PEEK. My 2 cents. EDIT: high temp shrink wrap or insulate are also feasible.

Last edited:

ohmygodimsohigh

I just took mine apart. The picture makes it look worse than it really is. It's a tiny teeny singe. At almost 70 years old, growing up in a Midwestern manufacturing city breathing sulfur, rubber and steel and smoking dope and cigarettes for 50+ years.... this amount of melting plastic in not concerning me.

2j5kk1h.jpg

I just got back from 2 weeks in San Diego and I must say to anyone who lives there that you have the nicest, most polite, friendliest people I have ever met. Looking forward to moving there.

Well that's terrible news for the Terp Pen, but I'm glad we have another data point.

When you took the coil apart, were the two ceramic rods still sitting parallel to eachother?

San Diego weather, and burritos, are legit.

If you mean the ceramic rods inside the coil, then yes. Everything was pretty intact and well assembled. I beat it up taking it apart but beforehand, everything looked fine. Just dirty.

I am a heavy hitter. Any vape in my hands gets chain use. If it's going to overheat or burn off something, it will do it in my hands. So, most users probably won't see this in their coils. Perhaps the other poster who had this problem was also a very heavy hitter.

And, I do repeat, the picture is real real close-up. I could not see the melting with my naked eye. It looked like dirt or grit. The miracle of digital photography brought this to view.

I am still using my Terp Pen with the replacement coils that I bought and I'm not a bit concerned.

Rasputin

A forum member from Vapecritic's site shared this Instagram conversation with Boundless.

When asked if the pen was currently safe to use, Boundless answered:

Rasputin,
Reactions: Summer

Boundless Vape Technology

Manufacturer
Hi everyone,

At the moment we have two reported cases of a defective Terp Pen coil. One from the OP of the /r/waxpen post and another from this forum. We would like to thank the OPs for bringing this to the communities attention and for the further discussion. It appears that with heavy usage and time, the coil wire insulation comes in contact with the coil itself. This defect will be evaluated and the internals will be redesigned followed by manufacturing changes implemented to further prevent this from occurring.

In our tests and our engineer's tests, this did not occur in any coil. The images convey that the insulation slides down and contacts the element. We are still researching to see if this was a manufacturing glitch during mass production or if this was caused by forcibly pushing the coil into a glass dish or other surface, heavy use, or time. We do see this as something that needs to be reassessed and will do so promptly. From the coils we have opened and have been testing at our office, there have been none found to have this same defect. We have also been working with colleagues who have also expressed that their coils did not show this degradation.

Here are some tips to prevent this from occurring. Firstly, do not forcibly press the coil onto any surface as this can cause the coils to be pushed into the internals. We recommend to lightly dab the coil with concentrate by using a dab tool or pre-load the coil and proceed to use. Also, please take caution to leave some time for the coil to cool down between draws as this can cause the device to get hot.

Feel free to reach out via email to Eric@bndlstech.com with any questions and if you would like to help us understand the situation with first-hand user data please reach out and we can either create a return label for your coil so we can inspect or we can take a look at a photo of your coil to give us a reference on actual user experience. Thank you for the continued support and please let me know if you have any questions.

Rasputin

@Boundless Vape Technology Thank you. Your prompt attention is appreciated.

It appears that with heavy usage and time, the coil wire insulation comes in contact with the coil itself.
F.Y.I There is a another example on vapelife.com, and he states the pen was used for one week.

VLife comment with pic:
"Looks like I have burns on both wires... only had it a week..."

btka

@Boundless Vape Technology

any news regarding the burned insulator...
have heared there should not be plastic used as insulation but the manufacturer from china did change yourndesign without letting you know.. is that true?
I have ordered replacement coils do they have plastic insulation... if yes will the new ones also have plastic insulation? and if not can I return my replacment coils for new replacment coils without plastic insulation?
I am not a big fan of plastic in my vapor path so are there some news..
I am vaping because of my health...
I do not understand why you use plastic as insulation for coils...

I did like the concept of terp pen a lot as a lot of other people I think... but this plastic in vapor path is really a no go for me...
would be great if you could change this if not already done!

caseball2051

This has been my only concentrate device since 420.

I have really enjoyed using it.

One thing I discovered recently that enhanced my usage was loading the unit cold and then at the beginning of my hit putting the cap on and continuing the hit.

Idk if this makes sense but I think it changes the air to vape ratio quite a bit and I am having a much better experience this way.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I want to get a few bits including this from Boundless, is there a discount code floating around?

LesPlenty,

caseball2051

I emailed them passively hoping they'd offer to send me the v2 coils but they did not bite and since I haven't had any issues I didn't press further.

caseball2051,
Reactions: LesPlenty

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Bringing this thread back from the depths of hell.

As previously mentioned, Boundless has corrected the insulated wire issue and the terp pens (v2) have been out again. Troy @ 420vapezone just put out another review about 2 weeks ago showing the changes made.

For a mere $25 at PIU I decided to give 'er a try. I am now learning that a few others here are also giving Boundless and this pen another chance. I was close to picking one up a couple months ago but then Insulation-Gate struck.

Mine should arrive tomorrow so I'll post back after trying it out a few times, although a chest cold might impede my vaping for a short while. I have been intrigued by the ease of loading the coils, the small amount needed, and the compact pen overall. Troy also speaks of decent flavor.

A new toy to play with. I've been looking for a quicker, compact way to vape rosin.

Last edited:

btka

Bringing this thread back from the depths of hell.

I have been intrigued by the ease of loading the coils, the small amount needed, and the compact pen overall. Troy also speaks of decent flavor.

I've been looking for a quicker, compact way to vape rosin.

Your expaectations will be met... I ordered today my second terp pen... I am happy that they fixed the insulation problem...

It is in my opinion really easy to load (funny that other vape pen producers did not do it before)...

For this price the pen is a steal...

btka

Would a 0.02g dab be too small to apply to the coil and then rip it? What's the temp like?

I think I am using less then that... only dip the coil in your concentrate that is enough... (draw on the pen to get coils hot then dip in your rosin for example (you then can put the cap on or not and draw on you pen (for me that is one hit)...

I tried to meassure with scale I have an 0.00 scale and it was so small the amount that my scale did not show me a change...

LesPlenty

Company Rep
It is great for cleaning up rosin straight off the collection tools (and the edge of pressed pucks, just load like @btka suggests so you don't fry the nylon bag).:tup:
img_20190906_172838-jpg.12840

I was preheating and then dipping on the tool above but in the end, was just drawing straight off the chisel surface for some pretty big rips, just keep the draw speed slow and steady so you do not overwhelm the little coils.:tup:

Top Bottom