**Ball vape comparison megathread** Compare your balls.

Which ball vape do you prefer?

• Flowerpot B0

Votes: 47 18.9%
  • Flowerpot B1

Votes: 70 28.1%
  • Flowerpot B2

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Old Head freight train

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Pinky

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • Qaroma Ceroma \ Quartz

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Qaroma Taroma 2 \ XL

Votes: 29 11.6%
  • DC ELEV8R with Rubies.

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • Cloud connoisseur Halo \ Atlas

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • DDave Extraction Contraption

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Hey Baller heads, (I humbly include myself in that description)
Meet Ball-less Head.
Saw a thread on 'the Thermal Twist'. Looks interesting , although it has NO BALLS !
MODS forgive me for this transgression, for daring to mention this Heretical devise surley imagined by someone with evil intent who wants all the rubies and Sic Balls for themselves!!! First the blasphemy of the cut gems, now this? Not even oddly shaped balls? wHY IS RUGBY LEFT OUT ?????

rn-image_picker_lib_temp_2670d0b2-8163-4298-bb32-6a3eda279e7d_1024x1024@2x.jpg

So that the mods do not beat me too badly for mentioning non baller injectors in a Ball Vape thread (please Mods not the stick with the nail in it and the Comfy Chair......)
if you are interested.....
I wonder what makes this different from the old vrod.

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
V rod looks like it has very free flowing air flow ? I presume thats why they added balls in the first place, also to increase thermal mass.
I've made a variety of Boro' baller heads, and tried a bunch of different things inside them(other than balls) I find too much airflow makes for a harsh hit. A spiral shaped airpath should help airflow restriction inside the head, possibly negating the need for balls whilst still allowing high air flow speed which can increase extraction speed and temps.
The use of vortexes with airflow is always interesting, if they got the fluid dynamics right it should kick baller arse. Or at the very least stand toe to toe.
And save fortunes spent on tiny balls.

shroomi

This is an interesting option! Could be they'll release a 16mm/20mm option as well, a baller mounted on a self-sustaining coil would be handy!

shroomi,
Reactions: Timps27

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
This is an interesting option! Could be they'll release a 16mm/20mm option as well, a baller mounted on a self-sustaining coil would be handy!

Looks like a budget DabReady/TerpHammer. Thinking you could use a coffee mug, shape/tie the bendy bit up the mug handle and center the coil in the mug. Cord freedom for all!

Timps27,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Looks like a budget DabReady/TerpHammer. Thinking you could use a coffee mug, shape/tie the bendy bit up the mug handle and center the coil in the mug. Cord freedom for all!
I would say it's a direct copy of the DC Cobra coil but also inevitable.

Is there a consensus on which ball vape handles small amounts most efficiently?
I would think one of the 14mm injectors, but is suppose it depends on what you mean by efficiently. I suspect any ball vape would easily 1-hit a small (< 0.05g) amount of flower.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

How does the B-0 rank for this?
Phase 3 ZX is built for this. The B0 will work with a screenload but at a higher temp with some flavor loss comparatively. The ZX will roast a >.05 load with great flavor. It can go bigger, but the B0 has the advantage there.

My experience is limited to CH F22. I found the shovelhead too large. @Ed's TnT, microdose bowl and 450-520d / .05g a sufficient low temp extraction (current target). 580d will leave dark roast ABV. This is w/ CH pid & coil.

edit: One and done model.

Last edited:

howie105

I suspect there are many ball vape candidates for small load efficiency, but I only know the Elev8r and the ZX. With the Elev8r I was able to get efficient extraction of .036 g, but it took modifications and lots of management during use to get it done. The ZX works almost as well at .043, but with far less muss and fuss. I think it has as much to do with user (expectation, style of use, etc.) as well as the device. Left out the temperature ranges, for both vapes 340 f to 440 f if stepped or 375 f to 380 f for a one hitter approach.

Last edited:

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
You could Pick the one You like , You can Microdose (sub 0.05grams) with any of them......!
With a standard 18mm joint adaptor/bowl.
Just need to set the bowl and screen up right.
Less free flowing(smaller Balls) Seems to help with my setup, but drawing slightly harder on it.
For Injector Heads with an 18mm Long Male Joint - set an 18mm screen - 2mm down - from the bottom of the injector tip in the female glass joint.
Using a full length male 18mm joint to push the screen in place makes this easier.
Arrange 0.05g in the middle of the screen leaving a small gap between the Herb and the edge of the bowl, about 1mm.
Adjust temps to taste....
Hit the Glass, down in one. Reload. Repeat. Not fade away.......

ZX and matching bowl look nice. Zeal too.

Axel_420

I have a ZX with which I am very comfortable, and I was thinking of buying a Zirconia Zeal. What are the differences between the two, and what advantages might the latter bring me? Is it worth it? I am interested in convection, power and flavor.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I have a ZX with which I am very comfortable, and I was thinking of buying a Zirconia Zeal. What are the differences between the two, and what advantages might the latter bring me? Is it worth it? I am interested in convection, power and flavor.
I have both and I like them both. They are similar in the sense that all coil driven ruby vapes are similar. But in that category they are pretty different. I have a slight preference for the Zeal. I find I just like using it most days more. It can run at a lower temp on my coil too, even though that probably doesn't matter all that much.

I don't know that you need to get a Zeal too if you already have a ZX. I'd probably recommend the Omega as it has a lot of different features and can open up a whole new style of vaping. But if you want to get the Zirc Zeal, I think it is a winner.

Last edited:

Texus

From a design perspective, I'd think the Zirc Zeal advantage would be that it is a diffuser style. Which means flower closer to coil and balls (a reason it can run at lower temps). While I haven't tried the ZX, I am a diffuser style convert over injector ballers, with the exception of the Couchlog which is more of a baller/log hybrid and has heatsoaked balls closer to the bowl than other injector designs.

But folks who have used both can better speak specifically to if there are meaningful differences between the 2.

fraktal

I love the ZX but I have a preference for the Zeal zirc for flavor and the cession are more longer with the glass bowl screen, with the ZX glass bowl or zirconia it’s more quickly, however on the same PID I run the ZX at lower temp 420 and the Zeal at 430.

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Fwiw I found the zBowl to be a major step up from a 14/14 glass joint as bowl. The load is closer to the heat, there's less draw resistance because the id is constant, it tastes *markedly* better (that surprised me), and both stays cleaner longer and is easier to maintain.
I also have a b1/22mm diffuser and a b2 w injector. The b2 never gets used and I like the Zpair (ZX plus Zbowl) better than the CH stuff by a lot.

Texus

Returned to my TKO recently after putting it aside so I could get to know my new Couchlog and amazing Inductor IH. Man, kinda like returning to a VapBong after some time away, one good TKO sesh really reminds you how badass it is. Between diffusion design and the Infinity Bowl seal, it hits like a Mack Truck. Without the bud getting near combustion or even dark brown. Just powerful delivery with even vaporization. And got me so much higher than even multiple small doses of Couchlog that was showing a lil layer of combustion on top and some hot spotting (full disclosure I am still getting to know that lighter core baller/log hybrid, still love the CL, and I do hang out over on OWW's Discord).

Tonight TKO hit me really hard when I needed that knockout punch. Diffuser, flower close to balls and great bowl seal is a helluva combo. And sometimes there's no replacement for displacement. TKO is a muscle car.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I’m still trying to fully wrap my head around ball vapes, they seem to have kind of sprung up over the last couple of years when I haven’t been following the scene too closely.

From what I can gather they are basically an enail kind of heater thing that’s used to heat up some thermal mass (the “balls”?) which is then just placed over a bowl/WPA that holds the flower?

On the whole it seems like a relatively similar concept to what the sublimator used to be going for?

What are the kind of specs n whatnot that are important?

From what I can tell so far

Ball material - ruby seems to be coming up as one of the better options?

Heater size - I vaguely understand that the heater coils can be different sizes, but I’ve never owned an enail so I have no idea of the specifics beyond that

Some kind of base/control unit that is the “brains” that controls the heater.

I’m interested in picking one up, and I’m kind of looking for a “best bang for your buck” kind of option.

I don’t necessarily want to go for the ultra high end, but I’m willing to pay for a quality unit, and I’m willing to splurge a bit on “nice to have” features if they offer a good enough value proposition.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I’m interested in picking one up, and I’m kind of looking for a “best bang for your buck” kind of option.

I don’t necessarily want to go for the ultra high end, but I’m willing to pay for a quality unit, and I’m willing to splurge a bit on “nice to have” features if they offer a good enough value proposition.
Like with any vape, it's probably best to consider what you want out of it first. Are you looking for the fastest extraction? The purest flavor? Maximum flower consumption? Or maybe the smallest microdose?

"Ball vapes", on the whole tend towards large hit, fast extractions. But as you can tell from this thread there are vapes that fall into this category that can be quite different. Many people consider the REFC Highlighter to be a ball vape, although I do not for pedantic reasons.

You'll of course need all the things you mentioned and a bowl that matches the type of head you choose.

If you are looking at strictly enail-driven flower vapes, I would probably say that Cloud Connoisseur is your best bet. They are relatively inexpensive but also have the most cutting-edge features.

I have several different ball vapes and I've pretty much switched to using the CC Omega most days. It performs perfectly every time. I am completely converted to cordless. I thought it was a fun gimmick at first but now I will never go back.

I also like to switch between the different modules. Sometimes I feel like a 22mm diffuser hit, other times I want that 14mm injector.

Anyway this thread has lots of recommendations, maybe some that are better for your needs. But that is what I like best today.

2pumpchump

I’m still trying to fully wrap my head around ball vapes, they seem to have kind of sprung up over the last couple of years when I haven’t been following the scene too closely.

From what I can gather they are basically an enail kind of heater thing that’s used to heat up some thermal mass (the “balls”?) which is then just placed over a bowl/WPA that holds the flower?

On the whole it seems like a relatively similar concept to what the sublimator used to be going for?

What are the kind of specs n whatnot that are important?

From what I can tell so far

Ball material - ruby seems to be coming up as one of the better options?

Heater size - I vaguely understand that the heater coils can be different sizes, but I’ve never owned an enail so I have no idea of the specifics beyond that

Some kind of base/control unit that is the “brains” that controls the heater.

They are torch and IH based options ball vapes as well but yes you seam to have the general concept...
In coil based setup you are correct on the major difference although balls are something that is easy to change.... the difference is going to be in stands Handel's defuseers/injector. Aka the bowl! things like this also the brain/ power temp control unit/ pid you go with can make a difference for future or other things it can be used with .. injector type ball vapes usually requires more heat in the balls than diffuser style ball vapes.. the Omega does both . I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them check around find with one's look best to you

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thanks for all the kind words on the ZX!

The ZX bowl effectively acts as a cross between a diffuser and an injector as it has a tapered fitting of an injector for a proper hands-free seal, but the air path retains a consistent cross-section throughout the entire vaporization pathway like a diffuser for even heating.

:2c:

coolbreeze

How do we get the Silver and Super Surfer up there for Ball Vapes? I think the Super Surfer is the only commercially available ball vape that fills a bag. Love to see that up to date>
Make me a DBV cover and I will review it hither and yon! ; )

In the meantime, your ball vape works hard, gets you through the year. Take it on a vacation!
IMG-1608.jpg

Top Bottom