Athlete Vaporists?

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
Hey all - been a bit since I've been around, summer's a busy time!

An update on my running for any who may be interested:
I've been training since June for a half marathon (21km/13.1mi). I really pushed myself to improve - alternating between working on distance and working on speed, then when I was seeing significant improvements, working on improving my pace with distance.

Just had the race this weekend and I had a blast with it. It was a sunny but crisp autumn morning. The run began and everything just clicked: my pace felt quick but comfortable, my breathing controlled, and endurance was unwavering. I was aiming for a 5:00 min per km average (though I had trained at quicker speeds for many runs) to complete the 1/2 in 1 hr 45 min. However, I ended up with a 4:40/km pace and finished the race in 1 hr 39 minutes (a personal record).

It was rewarding to have worked so hard, and to feel that work really payoff during the run. I just completely enjoyed the hell out of it.

vapirtoo

I ingested about a hand full of ABV and went for a bike ride because the weather was so awesome!
It has been about a month since I rode , and I felt really weak for the first 10 miles.
As I warmed up the edibles started kicking in and the whole ride flipped into, everything
looks fucking amazing. I started feeling like Conan, and it was off to the races for 28 miles in
2 hrs. and 8min.
Now the real test is can I do it tomorrow?

vapirtoo

I rode 14 miles on Wed. and another 14 miles back and forth from
track practice on Thursday.
Thursday was the mountain bike through traffic and NYC potholes.
I really try to keep my old ass bones away from traffic, so my road bike is used
exclusively on bike paths as much as possible.

fangorn

it's curious/amusing, how from one time to the next, my body doesn't allow me the same performances. This is obviously not a revelation. I clearly need to consolidate my progress.
Fatigue and diet are important factors...
but while I ran 10km "easily" a week ago, yesterday I had a lot of trouble running 7km... with a much slower pace than during my last outing! and it was just impossible to run any faster or longer.
I ran on the same day of the week, at the same time. I have the same amount of nighttime sleep (4h30-5h)...

But hey... in the end, it was my performance over 10km that was extraordinary...
I still have work to do!

I can't wait to see my possibilities on my next outing!

vapirtoo

Hey fangorn
Diet and rest 5hrs? of sleep, are always concerns, but how about some cross training,
a little bit of muscle confusion.
With that sleep range I'm guessing you are not a teenager. LOL
Ya know running is actually a kind of violent activity.
Just ask your knees.

vapirtoo,
Reactions: CANtalk

Varden

@fangorn do you sleep only 5 hours a day regularly?

I'm curious because if I sleep 5 hours I'm not a person. I need minimum 8 hours, and I sleep longer in a good day. Not young either.

Varden,
Reactions: vapirtoo

fangorn

hey @vapirtoo and @Varden!

no, I'm no longer a teenager actually... haha! I am 36 years old and have two young children aged 2 and 4.
And I'm not on a diet... although I'm trying to reduce the amount of sugar I ingest per day!!
(Google translate error!)

But yeah, I probably slept twice as long 20 years ago...
Although I always liked living at night. I love the calm and solitude of the night!
I need a lot of time to be alone, do nothing and let my brain do its work... (even though I know it also works while I sleep...)

In short... yes I can manage my day with 5 hours of sleep.
If I sleep less, I'm irritable, but it's okay until 3 hours 45 minutes of sleep.

And once I'm around 6 weeks, I need 2-3 nights in a row of between 8 and 10 hours of sleep to recover!

When I want to exercise, I aim for 6 hours of sleep the day before... but my willpower is not enough.
So if I sleep 3 hours I'm obviously not going to run.

I looked at a bit of cross training and muscle confusion. It could actually suit my lifestyle better, thank you very much for the advice I will think about it.

I'm going to have to adapt to the Canadian winter anyway... and figure out how to replace running in a few months. Last year was my first year here, and I just put my return to sport on hold for 5-6 months. But I don't want to lose what I've gained this year!

I need an exercise companion or a good app, I'll look into it.
Or find a handball team. But it's not very popular around here!

CANtalk

I managed to get out again in some beautiful fall weather for another 17 miles on the MTB :clap:. It included the two most difficult trails in the area again & was great. I vaped a strong sativa right after & it was awesome... big f/x & gave me lots of energy :science::luv:

I hope to get out once or twice more, we'll see

Cheers & have a great weekend

:peace: :leaf:

CANtalk

Sorry about the awkward grammar in my last post, I was vaped :lol:

With a bit more nice weather, I got out again on the MTB for ~18 miles on the local singletrack trails, it was very enjoyable & I had lots of strength & endurance :clap:. Very rewarding & reinforcing. The long term forecast shows a potential ride day next week, hope so :buzz:

May everyone find some time & weather to enjoy the outdoors, cheers

And a heads up, RedBull Rampage is a great watch & begins tomorrow morning, Friday 09:15 MDT, riders drop 10:00 am!

CANtalk,

vapirtoo

Grammar!?
HaHa
We was all vaped and didn't catch nothing!!
Yeah I've ridden 5 days in a row, and my form
and cardio are getting better.
Today, I did 6 miles to track practice and back in
sketchy traffic, about 30 min. each way.
Oh yeah, very light vape at the start;
two pulls on the Vapbong.

CANtalk

All quiet here, I hope everyone is getting out & enjoying some exercise :tup:. Any stories? Everything is inspirational :luv:.

I got out on the MTB & trails today 👍

And the last nice day of the year afaict :bowdown::bowdown: , worthy of celebrating

200.gif

(sharing this GIF again b/c it makes me :rofl:)

It was sunny, low wind & 72 F when I went out for 105 minutes and 16 miles, while hitting the single track everywhere I could & looping the top two difficult trails in the area 🚵‍♂️ :luv:. It was challenging, I did well overall but can tell I'm going to be a bit soar from a lack of riding at the end of the season here. Even my thumb got soar from all the shifting :lol:

And I gotta say it's great to not crash at the end of the year (did that once since I've been here :rolleyes:)

Since October 1st I've managed 100 miles, adding up to 1100 miles total this year (May-Oct 20). At this point, it looks to be another ~6 months before I get back out :cry:

It's great to share but it's just a number. @Siebter was a machine a few years ago sharing his runs & accumulating 1900 miles that year :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Best Gif Wow GIF

@His_Highness, still vaping after cycling :nod:?
Old School Reaction GIF

Feeling great while vaping a strong sativa atm, cheers :science::science:

Hence all the gifs :lol:

TGIF & have a great weekend

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@His_Highness, still vaping after cycling :nod:?
Thanks for asking!!!

I haven't changed my herbal workout routines when it comes down to running, biking or strength training .... get a buzz while warming up (Take a Hit, do a stretch, take a hit, jumping jacks, etc.), get a warm down buzz after the workout.

Covid fucked up my immune system a couple months ago which opened me up to several new medical issues. I've been to more doctors in the last couple months than I have in my previous 65 years.

Enough with the boo-hoos though....I can feel those physical deposits I made over the years giving me a leg up on the comeback. Won't be long now......

In the meantime I'll just live vicariously through you herbal athletes.........

fangorn

hello team!

I'm breaking records at the moment 😉
last week it was 10 degrees during my 10km.
today it was 6 degrees with rain for my 7km!
For the moment it's okay... but I'm going to equip myself a little better... a hat instead of the hood will be better when we approach zero degrees!

I beat my record (since my resumption) over 5km as well, with 25 minutes and a few seconds.

And last week I ate, vaped (a lot), took a nap then ran.
this week I ran, vaped, ate, vaped again and took a nap...
My first 3 kilometers were much easier!!!

I hope you are adjusting to the fall temperatures at home!

Have a good week !!

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Been an iffy fall here in northern New Hampshire, showers or rain nearly every day. First time in at least ten years that my firewood isn't thoroughly dried out. Only two decent days for riding last week. I forced myself to get on the basement exercise bike two additional days. But three or four sunny days in a row coming. Gonna shoot for at least three of my favorite 1-3 hour rides. There's still some reds, oranges and yellows in the trees with first hard frost expected tonight.

My big problem this year is that I was too disciplined about riding in the basement last winter and over the hills and into the wind this summer and I've gotten myself into quite good shape for a 75 year old dude who inhales strong dope nearly every day. That is, even though its very hilly here in the mountains, its hard for me to either elevate my heart rate or work up a sweat, which are always my goals. I end up doing my version of interval training, peddling furiously as fast as I can uphill. I must admit that at 75, I ride the brakes going down the hills. If I don't ride hard, I start to get wheezy from my evening toking added on top of fifty plus years of smoking cigs and joints. (Now more than ten years since I've smoked either.) So vigorous exercise may be the only thing allowing me to keep my lungs fit for all the amazing strong flower and concentrates we have these days.

GetLeft

Getting new bindings slapped on, ready for the upcoming snow blast in da beast coast, can't wait! @GetLeft u ready Viejo? I'll see u at Whiteface. :rockon:
Always looking forward to skiing even if I do it only a few days a year. Maybe a little more this year. We'll see. WF for sure at some point. No one should listen to the naysayers (WF gets trashed by some folks). It's a great place to ski. Unless it's just absolutely shitty conditions (which would also affect all the ski areas in the Beast) there are always fun and challenging runs at WF! I've had my share of shitty skiing conditions at places like Sugarbush too but I've never had a bad ski day! From the last time I strap on the boots in March to the first time the next season (February) I'm thinking snow. Keep in touch regarding your outings, @Helios. Maybe I'll strap up earlier this year. It would be fun to share a session on the Cloudsplitter gondola! Or the Little Whiteface lift which provides the most beautiful lift ride I've had, right up the side of the mountain overlooking the entirety of the Adirondacks. Absolutely spectacular, then you get to ski down! :tup:

fangorn

yes, she is two years old... and a big brother who takes up a lot of space, so when I put on my shoes and she asked me for the stroller, I was happy!

I'm trying to get her used to the Canadian cold... because her big brother is not a fan of the cold!! he didn't really like his first winter...

she was nice and warm under the rain shelter, so I guess it was reasonable!

--------------------------------------------

the first snows shouldn't be long...
Do you have any advice for shoes? I'll get some gore tex, that's for sure. but, I'm going to run along the river on a tarmac path... do I need huge crampons? I have the impression that it’s for trekking??!

and if I use huge crampons... is it stable on a patch of ice??
it's a total discovery for me...

Thanks in advance...!

fangorn

Hello athletes!

OK, well, last year I completed my last race before stopping due to winter, on October 29, 2022.

I have already done 3 additional outings this year!

I'm really happy... and I hope I can continue going out in December!

me against me... and the Canadian winter 😁

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Damn. Snowed last night and more coming on Tuesday night and Weds here in the White Mtns of New Hampshire. I like to ride my bike until the road becomes slippery, regardless of temperature. I was hoping for a couple more rides. At this point in my life--I'm 75 damn it--riding the old logging roads far out into the mountains after a couple of tokes is one of my greatest joys. I don't want it to end just yet. Ah well.

Ganjora

recently bought a book.
it's on calisthenics.
am enjoying my running hugely, just like when i was 16, but want to get stronger throughout my body.
if i even drive slowly past a gym i start putting on muscle, which is extra weight to carry when running, so not wanted.
it looks like this can deliver what i want.

fangorn

temperatures stay around zero degrees celsius here!
It was grey most of the day... except when I went for a run.
Very cool, this little Sun... once warmed up, it brought back memories of May...

I went out for 45 minutes for 8km. Perfect! Although I was a little more tired in the afternoon. Which didn't stop me from enjoying the "Christmas decoration activity" with the children!

Have a good week everyone and happy vaping!

Top Bottom