Athlete Vaporists?

GetLeft

Thanks for that link!

"Flat pedals are one percent less efficient, and 100 percent more fun." I can't speak to efficiency but the fun part is spot on. And these days for me riding is all about fun.

Hope the back pain goes away soon!

GetLeft,

GetLeft

Riding opportunities have been plentiful around here for the past week or so. Getting used to my flats. Weather's warming up. Trails drying up. More and more folks out there. Good to see. Although I'm not wanting a warm up. Was out today in sunny, mid-60 temps. A tad to too warm for me and it's only getting warmer from here on out. I have some adapting to do!

I finally looked into setting up the heart rate zones correctly on the device I use to record my rides. I knew nothing about them other than my device recorded them. Turns out there are a number of different heart rate zone models out there, depending on the level of seriousness the athlete lends to their training. Some models are based on 3 zones, others 5, others 6, 7, etc. The more zones, the more nuance to the training. My device uses a basic 5 zone recording that's based upon your max heart rate.

So being in zone 5 for a while, as I tend to be when I ride the trails I most commonly ride, isn't anything extraordinary. Just means you're riding within 10% of your max heart rate. I plug in 180 as my max HR, so anything162 bpm or higher is conisdered zone 5. Today that was for 35% of my ride. Other models have zone 5 at at (or beyond?) your max making it impossible to maintain for long stretches. Anyway, I don't use the info for training, just post ride entertainment :tup:

Dustin McKief

Lately, I've been doing more HIIT (high intensity interval training) during my exercise (walk, run, bike, ski, skate). I hesitate to use the term 'training' to describe it since I rarely compete (unless a friend asks me to). I see it as having fun with the bonus of staying in better shape (history of CAD in my family). It keeps me engaged into my form, and keeps things fresh and interesting.:leaf:

Once you're over the initial hump (I did find that I had some minor, initial soreness in the muscle groups that hadn't been engaged with LSD), the variety of it is a strong motivator for me. I try and keep it simple, like 4 mins at 80-95% of max HR (Zone 4 -5 in the @GetLeft table above), 3 mins easy, repeat X4, but I'll mix it up with pyramids, etc. You don't even need to use a timer if you choose arbitrary start/stop points along your usual routes. This article is a nice, concise guide to pros, cons, age-related HR adjustments, etc.

And, if you are into racing, the research backs it up as a good approach to increase your VO2 max. I can say that after I added it to my runs I did see my race times come down significantly.

CANtalk

Thx for sharing al the stories this winter through spring so far :tup:

Hey, I'm back on the MTB :tup:. It's been >6 months since I last posted here iirc :o :rolleyes:. As mentioned earlier, I was planning to take a (forced) winter break from the MTB & all planned exercise over the winter... though I still moved a lot of snow :argh:. I wanted to take an exercise break until January, then ended up delaying that, Same for first of Feb, and March too :argh:. I did begin exercising again in early March on the treadmill & happily saw very good residual fitness memory 🥇. Especially after 4 months off exercise. It's like there was muscle memory but with good cardio fitness retention as well ✨. I guess I shouldn't be surprised being ~5 years into a big exercise & fitness routine 🌠

I've progressed quickly in the last ~2 months to new significant highs / gains in treadmill cardio fitness. I started jogging again on the treadmill for the first time in a few decades or so :clap: :bowdown:. It's awesome to see & the treadmill regularly reports over >500 calories in a 60 minutes routine for the first year ever 🌟. I event recently went over 600 calories as well :rockon:.

And today was the first day I got back on the MTB 🥳. We've had an atrocious winter here & spring is late late 🥶. I didn't think I was going to get out today, so I did my 60 minute exercise routine on the treadmill early in the morning. Ended up a big big exercise day doing both. The MTB had the annual spring service (I do some myself) & it performed flawlessly. Like a new bike, amazing quick perfect shifting early into the lever stroke (full XT drivetrain), no squeaks anywhere, smooth smooth overall ride & experience, steady, uber-predictable ride :love: :nod:. Strong brakes as well (in all the best ways). It all felt very familiar & great :luv:.. I rode an ~11 mile loop & took the easier single track option since I already worked out earlier. Nice ride stats too, 60 min w/ a little more than 10 mph average. There were >35 mph wind gusts so the first mile was a real headwind pita until I changed directions & got into more reasonable cover. The MTB ride felt very comfortable after a long winter break 😍.

After getting home & cleaning up, I vaped some cannabis & am still vibing later now :science: :luv:. Love the combo of a cannabis & runners high :science: :evil:

For those interested, the MTB service included a new chain (& for the third time on the cassette / chainrings), break bleed, a front fork service, dropper post bleed, bolt check, gear shifting adjustment, new front tire, move the previous front tire to the rear (I wore out the previous new rear tire in two seasons), tubeless & tire sealant setup and that's about it. My previous posts detail a major service ~2 years ago, and most things are still good even after ~2500 miles. I need to do the annual rear shock service myself shortly (seals & oil) when I get my hands n the seal kit & I checked / adjusted the wheel spoke tensions out before the ride. I also had to add some air to the rear shock & tires as well & readjusted the seat position. It's a lot of work getting setup for a MTB ride again after a long time off.

I have a ways to go to catch up to end-of-last-year MTB shape but I already really like what I see 💫. I hope it's a great year & best wishes to y'all too. And I hope to hear lots of stories 👍.

TGIF haf so sorry for any spelling / grammar issues :razz:. Have an excellent weekend

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Thx for sharing al the stories this winter through spring so far :tup:

Hey, I'm back on the MTB :tup:. It's been >6 months since I last posted here iirc :o :rolleyes:. As mentioned earlier, I was planning to take a (forced) winter break from the MTB & all planned exercise over the winter... though I still moved a lot of snow :argh:. I wanted to take an exercise break until January, then ended up delaying that, Same for first of Feb, and March too :argh:. I did begin exercising again in early March on the treadmill & happily saw very good residual fitness memory 🥇. Especially after 4 months off exercise. It's like there was muscle memory but with good cardio fitness retention as well ✨. I guess I shouldn't be surprised being ~5 years into a big exercise & fitness routine 🌠

I've progressed quickly in the last ~2 months to new significant highs / gains in treadmill cardio fitness. I started jogging again on the treadmill for the first time in a few decades or so :clap: :bowdown:. It's awesome to see & the treadmill regularly reports over >500 calories in a 60 minutes routine for the first year ever 🌟. I event recently went over 600 calories as well :rockon:.

And today was the first day I got back on the MTB 🥳. We've had an atrocious winter here & spring is late late 🥶. I didn't think I was going to get out today, so I did my 60 minute exercise routine on the treadmill early in the morning. Ended up a big big exercise day doing both. The MTB had the annual spring service (I do some myself) & it performed flawlessly. Like a new bike, amazing quick perfect shifting early into the lever stroke (full XT drivetrain), no squeaks anywhere, smooth smooth overall ride & experience, steady, uber-predictable ride :love: :nod:. Strong brakes as well (in all the best ways). It all felt very familiar & great :luv:.. I rode an ~11 mile loop & took the easier single track option since I already worked out earlier. Nice ride stats too, 60 min w/ a little more than 10 mph average. There were >35 mph wind gusts so the first mile was a real headwind pita until I changed directions & got into more reasonable cover. The MTB ride felt very comfortable after a long winter break 😍.

After getting home & cleaning up, I vaped some cannabis & am still vibing later now :science: :luv:. Love the combo of a cannabis & runners high :science: :evil:

For those interested, the MTB service included a new chain (& for the third time on the cassette / chainrings), break bleed, a front fork service, dropper post bleed, bolt check, gear shifting adjustment, new front tire, move the previous front tire to the rear (I wore out the previous new rear tire in two seasons), tubeless & tire sealant setup and that's about it. My previous posts detail a major service ~2 years ago, and most things are still good even after ~2500 miles. I need to do the annual rear shock service myself shortly (seals & oil) when I get my hands n the seal kit & I checked / adjusted the wheel spoke tensions out before the ride. I also had to add some air to the rear shock & tires as well & readjusted the seat position. It's a lot of work getting setup for a MTB ride again after a long time off.

I have a ways to go to catch up to end-of-last-year MTB shape but I already really like what I see 💫. I hope it's a great year & best wishes to y'all too. And I hope to hear lots of stories 👍.

TGIF haf so sorry for any spelling / grammar issues :razz:. Have an excellent weekend

Yesterday was a gorgeous day here in northern New England, north of the White Mtns. I've taken short rides a couple of times over the last few weeks on my mtn/hybrid ebike(I'm 75 and live in the heart of the mountains), that's always on the lowest assist level. Thought I'd go out for an hour on a still gated hilly dirt road loop that nestles way into a range of 4,000 footers(what passes for mountains here!). Ended up riding for 2 1/2 hours. Had a couple of tokes at the start and a couple more at the mid-point. First wildflowers of the year, with spring beauties opening for the season during the ride and trout lilies and trilliums popping up everywhere. Great fun and made me feel great.

CANtalk

Sounds awesome @Polarbearboy :tup:. While I'm no spring chicken, at your age I hope I'm still out there like you 🥳.

@Siebter, haven't heard from you in a while? Still getting out big time? Hope so :clap::rockon:.

Pretty quiet in the thread, hope everyone is out enjoying some exercise & relaxation, keep sharing stories.

I'm a week in so far & already stoked 🌠. In six days on the MTB, I managed >85 miles & it's been excellent :luv:! My second trip this year was a similar ~17 mile loop I took for the first ride each of the last two years (& reported here). Last year, I had to stop 12 or so times to catch my breath & lower my heartrate from max, this year I only stopped to take a few pics at nice spots :nod:. Way way way better & similar to my trip report from two years ago when I exercised over winter. And after that, my trip reports include a ~23 mile loop, ~17 mile loop with the top two hardcore cardio / technical trails in the area & another >17 mile loop w/ hardcore singletrack (while also enjoying a downtown pub craft beer :)). Add in the ~11 mile loop I first posted & so far I've started off with a big bang :freak:. Wish me luck & cheers

TGIF haf so sorry for and spelling / grammar awkwardness :razz:

Keep on keep on, enjoy & share. Have a great weekend

Last edited:

fangorn

hello sports team!

I had resumed running a bit between August and October... and then I discovered the Canadian winter 🤣
I've seen athletes running in almost all temperatures... Canadians running in t-shirts at 5 degrees, or bare-chested at 10 degrees... but it's not yet for me!

I resumed in April and have done 5 sessions since.
beyond my not too bad physical abilities, my real victory is to have really rediscovered the desire to run!
there are mornings when I get up with this idea in mind and it follows me all day!

I haven't bought myself any running shoes yet, so to avoid hurting my heels, I tried running on a path in the undergrowth or on the grass rather than on the road... and it's been quite a difference! it's not the same effort either...

and I started push-ups and abs after my races... but I need to find "a program"...

there you go!!

happy sport and happy vape to all!!!

CANtalk

I managed a 17 mile MTB ride on Sunday here, including the top two difficult trails in the area. I then showered & vaped to enjoy the combo sativa & runners high :clap:. Invigorated me after a sleepy morning 🌠.

Hope everyone is out enjoying some exercise this weekend, have a great Sunday & cheers!

CANtalk

Hey, hope everyone is enjoying some exercise. It was a beautiful day here :luv: & I got out earlier before the heat of the day for an ~24 mile MTB loop including the top two cardio killer trails. It went great :love:. ATM, I'm >60 miles in so far the last 4 days. Am also seeing significant improvements in everything (speed, strength, stamina, times, skills, etc). Having a blast 🥳.

Trying to eat eat eat too

Get out, enjoy & have a nice weekend

CANtalk

Quiet here, hope everyone is out enjoying some exercise. It's been quiet for me as well, the long weekend was spent working around the house & yard & the weather turned after that. I did get out this morning for ~24 miles on the MTB, which included the top two cardio killer / technical trails in the area & back to back. Felt like I had good power & endurance. It was very enjoyable & rewarding, setting up the rest of the day beautifully :nod:. I vaped after the trip & combined the runners high with some excellent sativa flower :clap:. It will be getting wet and that means 2-3 more days before I'll get out again. Hope to do more soon :luv:.

Pretty high atm so sorry for any spelling / grammar awkwardness :razz:.

Cheers & have a great weekend

vapirtoo

Yo people!
I've been biking and walking to keep my blood pressure in check.
My usual route is around Jamaica bay ( I also canoe in the bay ) which is a 20+ mile ride.
Everything I read points to physical activity as a Godsend, so I'm trying to keep moving.
At 70 years old the passion for things is beginning to wane, and getting out is more of a
mental-spiritual challenge than it used to be.
I find mental imaging of me on the bike or out on a trail helps.
My 80 year old friend says if its difficult now wait another 10 years.
I hope I'm still around to experience it. LOL

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Yo people!
I've been biking and walking to keep my blood pressure in check.
My usual route is around Jamaica bay ( I also canoe in the bay ) which is a 20+ mile ride.
Everything I read points to physical activity as a Godsend, so I'm trying to keep moving.
At 70 years old the passion for things is beginning to wane, and getting out is more of a
mental-spiritual challenge than it used to be.
I find mental imaging of me on the bike or out on a trail helps.
My 80 year old friend says if its difficult now wait another 10 years.
I hope I'm still around to experience it. LOL
I'm 75. This past winter I had my most motivated workout on the basement bike routine ever, 4-6 times a week, every week, moderate to intense most days. It felt great this spring when I could get back on my pedal-assist-nearly-always-on-lowest-mode ebike in the mountains where I mostly live. I got in a few beautiful rides in the shelter of our 4,000 footers. Then got an out-of-the-blue health issue. They tell me not to exercise, especially on any bike-type seat.

Now I'm at my other place on the northern tip of Newfoundland. I brought my bike with me, as I always do. There's icebergs and sea ice out the window as I sit here now. Its cold and windy. I would ride. I've got the gear and I'm used to it. I love gettin' high and climbing on my bike, now ebike, and riding. The terrain is already hilly, and the wind blows and blows and blows, but the scenery is stunning, tiny fishing villages, Raven Head and Beak Point, the islands of Sacred Bay, and the people, my friends and acquaintances. I know the rides intimately and get an hour or two's workout and feel great. But not this year:huh:, at least not for at least a couple of more weeks, hopefully not months..

Well, at least I have some stunner weed, resin, and rosin that I got in the govt. stores in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I've gotten a lot of excellent stuff in Mass. and Maine and up here over the years: the products,from Nova Scotia are absolutely up there with the very best I've ever had in 50 plus years of imbibing. I love the women-owned company that has 3000 koi and used their "byproducts" to become the first certified organic grower in Canada. Their High Seas rosin is the the finest cannabis product I've ever had. Now the wind is howlin', the temp 34, the woodstove is cookin'. There really are Greenland icebergs and sea ice from the Arctic outside my window. I just vaped some lovely Nova Scotia live resin. After twenty-five years here, even without riding, I still can't believe how fortunate I am in so many ways.

Last edited:

vapirtoo

Wow
Your writing put me right out there with you, the bergs and the cold!!!
Keeping away from the madness of city life is indeed a blessing.
Thanks for sharing and taking me away from NYC for a while.
I also love the outdoors and try to escape, but you are living the dream!
Great motivation !

Choices

It is a bit warmer today in the Midwest but I still got a 6.5 mile (10.5 km) hike at 17:30 a mile pace. It is slower than I should be at 62 but I’m trending up in terms of fitness. I really enjoy vaping a single bowl in my Dynavap M just before heading out. It and an Honest torch get put in my Camelback and off I go. I have midpoint where I can get things out and enjoy a moment before finishing the second half. Feel quite fortunate to be surrounded by so many wonderful things to view…

CANtalk

After the break I mentioned last weekend, I put the pedal to the metal on the MTB :nod:. Dodged a bunch of rain & still had to avoid a few trails that were too wet, but got out for 5 day trips in a week :luv:. And I decided to push the mileage more with longer trips. It went great & at first, I thought I hit ~95 miles in one week, but I missed a trip :brow:. Turns out I hit a new high point & managed ~115 miles 🌠 ✨. Really happy. And I'm still finding, trying & doing new things with the outdoor MTB exercise many years on now:clap:. I've never pushed this mileage this early into the riding season either :tup:.

Just yesterday, I enjoyed the farthest MTB trip this season so far @ 31 miles. I skipped the first the #1 cardio killer trail because of wetness (muddy), but took up the aggressive single track trails everywhere else. Longer mileage riding locally means more easy riding, but my body still needs to adapt, and it's quite rewarding changing the routine up.. I did the 50 km trip in ~3 hrs & only stopped to take pics. I saw some new trail work too 👍👍. After the trip, a slurpee/slush & protein drink plus steamed basmati rice (& a shower) were enjoyed. Then I vaped some Durban Poison landrace sativa & it was another glorious cannabis & runners high combo :love: :science: :evil:. Celebration time 🥳

I'm really excited & wanted to share new milestones :cheers:, I hope everyone is out enjoying some exercise.

HAF so sorry for any spelling / grammar awkwardness :razz:

Have a great weekend

Last edited:

CANtalk

Sounds great @WisePenny :tup:. I hope everyone is getting out & enjoying some exercise.

I'm dodging smoke & it's still wet here, while getting out on the MTB 🚵‍♂️ :tup:. Feels like summer so far :love:. I recently got out for a 7 am ☀️ warm ride & did 28 miles in 3 hrs, with a mid-ride scenic view break & energy bar. It was excellent :clap:. Slept like a baby that night :rockon:. In the last week, I also managed to complete the #1 cardio killer trail again but this time with only two rest stops. The best I've done includes two rest stops & those trips began late in the season, end of September. To do two rest stops in early June is excellent for me & means I'm still progressing in this hobby :luv:. Looking forward to more MTB rides this week. And I've been making a slurpee / slush pick up a regular event after a MTB ride... need moar calories :rockon:

TGIF & have a great weekend

Last edited:

PeteyS

Ive been vaping for 3 years, mostly every day. I have noticed that my lung capacity would suffer while doing cardio.
So much so, that leading up to my half marathon, I stopped vaping and used edibles/tinctures instead.
I think this helped, but it could all be placebo and i have no scientific data to back this up, but using "bro science" it just seems natural that inhaling vapour that contains sticky particles can't be productive for your throat and lungs. For example, just take a look at how sticky your vape or bong gets after a few weeks of usage.

Now.....using marihuana as a post work out tool for recovery is a totally amazing benefit.

Ganjora

wow, the VO2 Max test was intense.
start at 7km/h on the treadmill for 3 minutes, then hop off for bout 5 seconds for blood to be taken, then back on for another 3 mins at 8km/h, then off for 5 seconds for blood, then 9km/h, etc etc.
I quit the test at 16km/h when i knew i would not be able to maintain the speed for the full 3 mins. still had a bit left in the tank, but not much and definitely not enough for another 3 mins.
lots of incredibly interesting info, so well worth the money spent.

sex: male
VO2Max: 53

what's quite interesting is that my garmin forerunner 955 has my VO2Max at 54,
my stryd power meter has my critical power at 253 watts or 3.90W/kg, which is around the 54-55 range.
good news that both the devices are pretty accurate, but i rate stryd a million times better/more accurate than garmin. strange thing to say when the numbers appear so close, but there are a number of reasons for that.
very satisfied with the results, and basically they confirm what i always 'knew'/prayed for the reality to be: very good, but not brilliant.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i calculated my VO2Max from the formula: 15 * (MaxHR / Resting HR), mine is 150/53, so about 42 and age 75. i hit theoretical max HR or 5% above on the Nordic Track and maintain for 20 minutes for 5 days a week. been doing it for 40 years. it has worked for me.

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
Ive been vaping for 3 years, mostly every day. I have noticed that my lung capacity would suffer while doing cardio.
So much so, that leading up to my half marathon, I stopped vaping and used edibles/tinctures instead.
I think this helped, but it could all be placebo and i have no scientific data to back this up, but using "bro science" it just seems natural that inhaling vapour that contains sticky particles can't be productive for your throat and lungs. For example, just take a look at how sticky your vape or bong gets after a few weeks of usage.

Now.....using marihuana as a post work out tool for recovery is a totally amazing benefit.
Interesting... going on 5 years of daily vaping, and I have not experienced the same thing. In fact, I vape before my runs, including my 21k last summer. As well, I do believe the "sticky particles" are absorbed...they don't stay, building up and coating your lungs as they do your glass.

Maschine

30 something here, formerly heavy smoker and bong addict but always loved most sports. Always happy to read and share stories about that topic!
I did bodybuilding while I was smoking tobacco and weed and it affected my over all performance and health very bad. I did bodybuilding while only combusting weed and still had some minor negative effects but I was able to walks stairs without breathing heavy. I switched to vaporizing and it was a game changer because I felt no adverse effects at all. Had my best shape and was even thinking about competing at amatuer contests. My cardio system was also top. I did a freaking score in the EKG tests and my blood works looked always pretty good. But just being able to ride my bike for hours without feeling near dead is such an improvement for me!

Top Bottom