Athlete Vaporists?

GetLeft

@CANtalk I agree with you on everything :tup:

I was perfectly fine with my Shimano SLX 2x8 (just now counted the rings on the cluster) set up, even though I hardly ever used the upper chainring. It was easy, smooth, quiet shifiting and riding. The XTR and XT must be sublime especially in the 1x12 design. I've only had one ride on my new SRAM NX Eagle drive train and it was a little clunky in places due to things not being entirely settled. I need to get it in for an adjustment before I take it out again. But I liked the simplicity of the design. When I inquired about the 1x12 design and decided to opt in, I assumed my bike guy would slap on Shimano SLX just like I had. He prefers SRAM by a mile and I trust him so I didn't say anything. Time will tell.

As far as my new bike, the fat tire bike, man what a freaking game changer. Such a delight to ride. I had tested one around 6 or 7 years ago and was not impressed with the ride at all. But things have come a long way. Like @Knewt I'm thinking I might end up riding the fat bike as much as if not more than my traditional mtb. I've only ridden it once and immediately upgraded the seat post to a dropper (freaking expensive upgrades the industry is evil!). Next up will be to get forks with a suspension. All I need atm are a few more degrees of warmth to get back out there. I'm a wuss. My brain just keeps saying no to these mid-30s temps, especially when there's an arctic breeze attached to them. I'm sure @VapeEscapist just rolls his eyes at the lack of studliness : ) Tomorrow says 40 degrees so no excuses!

Regarding my maiden voyage on my Salsa: tires are glued to the trail, the geometry is perfect for me (handles like a piece of cake). Curiously, the ride, which was almost identical in time and distance (if not the exact same trails) to the rides I posted about a couple of pages ago, never had me in zone 5 while I typically spend at least half my ride in that zone. Is the carbon frame and geometry responsible for such efficiency that I worked less? Was I taking it easier 'cause it was my first ride on the bike (time and miles indicate otherwise)? Was my garmin device wonky? Hopefully tomorrow will answer some of these questions...

Question for flat pedalers: do you have specially designed footwear for the flat pedal? I went with flat pedals on the fat bike and rode in my regular merrell trail sneakers. Not terrible but use-specific flat pedal shoes are showing $100+. Not sure if it's worth it. What a racket.

Dustin McKief

Question for flat pedalers: do you have specially designed footwear for the flat pedal?
I just picked up some Five Ten Freeriders and really like them. I chose them because they fit my wide feet really well. If you have a narrower foot, there are a ton of nice options out there.

Dustin McKief,
Reactions: MinnBobber

Knewt

@CANtalk I agree with you on everything :tup:

I was perfectly fine with my Shimano SLX 2x8 (just now counted the rings on the cluster) set up, even though I hardly ever used the upper chainring. It was easy, smooth, quiet shifiting and riding. The XTR and XT must be sublime especially in the 1x12 design. I've only had one ride on my new SRAM NX Eagle drive train and it was a little clunky in places due to things not being entirely settled. I need to get it in for an adjustment before I take it out again. But I liked the simplicity of the design. When I inquired about the 1x12 design and decided to opt in, I assumed my bike guy would slap on Shimano SLX just like I had. He prefers SRAM by a mile and I trust him so I didn't say anything. Time will tell.

As far as my new bike, the fat tire bike, man what a freaking game changer. Such a delight to ride. I had tested one around 6 or 7 years ago and was not impressed with the ride at all. But things have come a long way. Like @Knewt I'm thinking I might end up riding the fat bike as much as if not more than my traditional mtb. I've only ridden it once and immediately upgraded the seat post to a dropper (freaking expensive upgrades the industry is evil!). Next up will be to get forks with a suspension. All I need atm are a few more degrees of warmth to get back out there. I'm a wuss. My brain just keeps saying no to these mid-30s temps, especially when there's an arctic breeze attached to them. I'm sure @VapeEscapist just rolls his eyes at the lack of studliness : ) Tomorrow says 40 degrees so no excuses!

Regarding my maiden voyage on my Salsa: tires are glued to the trail, the geometry is perfect for me (handles like a piece of cake). Curiously, the ride, which was almost identical in time and distance (if not the exact same trails) to the rides I posted about a couple of pages ago, never had me in zone 5 while I typically spend at least half my ride in that zone. Is the carbon frame and geometry responsible for such efficiency that I worked less? Was I taking it easier 'cause it was my first ride on the bike (time and miles indicate otherwise)? Was my garmin device wonky? Hopefully tomorrow will answer some of these questions...

Question for flat pedalers: do you have specially designed footwear for the flat pedal? I went with flat pedals on the fat bike and rode in my regular merrell trail sneakers. Not terrible but use-specific flat pedal shoes are showing $100+. Not sure if it's worth it. What a racket.
I used Crank Bros clipless pedals for many years, but my riding preferences changed and I became much less agile as I aged, so I moved to flats. I never use bike specific shoes with flats. Another benefit of flats is the ability to wear insulated shoes or boots, helps a lot in the cold.

Knewt,

MinnBobber

@GetLeft : flat pedal bike shoes?
I invested in flat pedal shoes and use them for doing longer ( 25–75 mile) rides.
I find them more efficient and more comfortable.
- Freerider Pro and
- Shimano ET3 E bike shoes.
Their stiffer insole helps transfer power better.
For short rides, I just wear whatever…

MinnBobber,
Reactions: vapirtoo

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Heatmap-2022.png

2022 → 230 runs, 3802 km / 2362 miles, 300 hours

Happy 2023 everybody!

DonMarteng

Hey fellas,
Just wanting to let you know that after a solid year of fucking combustion I have never felt in a better shape in my adult life.
Working out, Yoga, running and riding the mountains on my bike feels amazing and Im still blazed most of the time :)
When I was still a smoker and mixing my precious with tobacco all I would do was wasting months in front of the PC eating and drinking things I wouldnt even feed to my worst enemy.
Now I get really annoying if I dont have at least some 30 minutes of exercise every day, and life feels great.

(Also hello Siebter! Nice to meet you again in a different subforum. You have sent me some Tinymight parts in the past and Im still happily using them daily! I still hope to repay the favour one day, when I get to Berlin :D Sorry for offtopic, but hes a really good guy :)

GetLeft

I'm thinking I enjoy riding my mtb in 35 degree temps more than riding in 80+ degree temps. And I might be mistaken but I believe I'm seeing more people out and about on the trails in the cold weather than I was seeing in the warm weather. Not every day around here this time of year is a 'let's get out there' kind of day but when the decent (dryish) days roll around, more people than I thought appear to be outdoors and not intimidated by the lower temps. What do they say in Maine? No such thing as bad weather just bad clothing?

GetLeft

My ability to keep at my mtb riding this winter (thanks to not having to spend my daylight hours in an office) has had the perk of keeping my legs conditioned for when I hit the slopes. No stopping in the middle of fantastic runs due to my legs not being in skiing shape (that burning 'stop now or you're gonna die' feeling). Felt great but it also led to a spill one afternoon that wouldn't have happened if I had been more mindful of how much my legs had left to give that day whether they were hurting or not. Brain said 'turn now skis' and skis said 'say what?' then I said 'No no no nooooo...' Yardsale! But it was late in the day on a Monday. No one saw it so it didn't happen. One thing's for sure: can't afford to do that kind of stupid shit on a mtb!

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
I've taken a break from running the last couple months, partly because of some ankle pain, but also coinciding with holiday busy-ness and some nasty winter weather. However, Since the start of the year, I've been weight training with a friend a couple times a week, and that has been a nice change of pace, despite the fact that every muscle in my body is screaming at me right now. Hope everyone is staying more active than this thread!
move it comedy central GIF by The Other Two

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
The weather has been pretty cold here in north Florida but I've managed to stay the course training for the annual Gate River Run 15k on March 4th. Best beer run in the country.....

Thousands of runners attend this race along with the pro's .... you can tell who the pro's are...the pro's are the people made of grizzle-negative body fat that look like grasshoppers to me because they're all legs.

Anyone else running the Gate?

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
The weather has been pretty cold here in north Florida but I've managed to stay the course training for the annual Gate River Run 15k on March 4th. Best beer run in the country.....

Thousands of runners attend this race along with the pro's .... you can tell who the pro's are...the pro's are the people made of grizzle-negative body fat that look like grasshoppers to me because they're all legs.

Anyone else running the Gate?
nah havent heard of that race but ill look it up, cant wait for it to get warmer consistently so i can run outside again, only a couple weeks

GetLeft

Due to having unrelenting cold symptoms I've missed some primo riding days around here over the past few weeks but I finally got out today. Balmy 45 degrees, overcast but no wind. Went out on my fat tire bike. Starting to get comfortable with flat pedals. The thought came to me while riding today (thank you sour diesel) that when you ride clipless pedals, the sense as you're riding is that you're attached to the bike, you and the bike are a single vehicle. This affects balance, how you take turns, pedal stroke etc. Using flat pedals and having the bike unattached requires the rider to develop techniques for keeping the feet on the pedals and the bike under control. Requires using some different muscles. Makes you feel a little like you did when you rode bikes around the neighborhood as a kid. Fun stuff :tup:

mephisto

The weather has been getting better for riding around these parts. I have not ridden my 29 since getting a fat tire bike. I am having a lot of trouble with pain in my wrists. I attribute most of this to my field of work (hvac install), but I am going to try bar ends to see if that will provide some relief. I enjoy riding so much, but I will run if I have to. I need to get busy training for a triathlon in NH in June.

Knewt

The weather has been getting better for riding around these parts. I have not ridden my 29 since getting a fat tire bike. I am having a lot of trouble with pain in my wrists. I attribute most of this to my field of work (hvac install), but I am going to try bar ends to see if that will provide some relief. I enjoy riding so much, but I will run if I have to. I need to get busy training for a triathlon in NH in June.
I fought with wrist issues since my first mountain bike in 1988. Bar ends always helped for me. I finally went with a Jones H bar and most of my issues went away.

Knewt,
Reactions: mephisto

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
RE: Wrist pain on bicycles: I have major arthritis in my hands(I'm 74). The hand and wrist pain was making me wonder if I could keep riding, one of my great and near daily joys in warmer weather. I have found that Ergon handgrips are quite effective at eliminating or minimizing any pain. There are now cheap knock-offs of the Ergon grips, so a worthy inexpensive experiment. I've also found that moving one's seat a bit forward or back so you're not putting as much weight on the handlebars can significantly reduce pressure on one's hands and wrists. Hope you get this figured out.

Knewt

RE: Wrist pain on bicycles: I have major arthritis in my hands(I'm 74). The hand and wrist pain was making me wonder if I could keep riding, one of my great and near daily joys in warmer weather. I have found that Ergon handgrips are quite effective at eliminating or minimizing any pain. There are now cheap knock-offs of the Ergon grips, so a worthy inexpensive experiment. I've also found that moving one's seat a bit forward or back so you're not putting as much weight on the handlebars can significantly reduce pressure on one's hands and wrists. Hope you get this figured out.
I agree with the Ergons, very comfortable. I hate wearing gloves and with the cork Ergons, there isn't a need for me. Plus that make a version for the Jones H bar.

Helios

Fucking leg Day.
We ( Ice Coast ) actually got over 4/10'ths of an inch this season, I see you California, Tahoe man, Tahoe!!!... lmfao! jokes aside, for you skiers it was a wet heavy snow, lots of work, skiing was great, even with all the BS flat light, fortunately we made lots of time at the bar lol. still recovering (DOMS) cheers mutha fletchaZ!

GetLeft

Wow what a fun learning curve the flat pedals have been. My rigid fat tire bike came with them. I'm now considering swapping out the clipless pedals on my full suspension mtb for flats. I'll have to get in a few good rides on the clipless before making that decision. But one comparison that is pretty clear to me now (duh) is that clipless lock you into a certain riding style/position while flats kind of make you use body position and foot position and other things beyond what clipless require you to do. You have to be more versatile on flats. And even change your riding position on the bike to a fair degree. Substantive style changes. I still have lots of practice to do (and a decent pair of flat pedal shoes to buy) but I'm loving the learning curve so far. I'd go so far as to suggest all mtb riders give both pedals a try. Lots of folks suggest that the ability to use flats on the trails improves your all-around skill set. You can pick up stuff riding flats that you can then carry back to the clipless.

So what's up with all you year-round riders? It's been the most mild Feb I've ever experienced in northeastern PA. In terms of weather anyway. Still got waylaid by colds but otherwise a great riding season here.

Fatties and flatties. Life is good :tup:

GetLeft

Beatuiful Spring day here in NEPA. 60 degrees, sunny, light breeze. First warm weather ride of the season. A two layer ride day instead of a four or five layer day.

Went out on my fat tire bike. First time it's seen such nice conditions. Dry trails make a difference. Rode for the first time with some flat pedal specific shoes (five ten) and man what a difference. They attach like glue compared to my regular banger sneakers I was using. Tomorrow's another nice day. I'll be taking my full suspension bike out but first it's going to the bike shop to get some flat pedals slapped on. Goodbye clipless!

Helios

Goodbye clipless!
haven't ridden flats in so long be weird to ride without clipless, i guess for full suspension its needed ey?
its getting to be that season again here too, just need a few tune ups and chain cleaning to do before we go.

Helios,
Reactions: GetLeft

Cannabiker

Beatuiful Spring day here in NEPA. 60 degrees, sunny, light breeze. First warm weather ride of the season. A two layer ride day instead of a four or five layer day.

Went out on my fat tire bike. First time it's seen such nice conditions. Dry trails make a difference. Rode for the first time with some flat pedal specific shoes (five ten) and man what a difference. They attach like glue compared to my regular banger sneakers I was using. Tomorrow's another nice day. I'll be taking my full suspension bike out but first it's going to the bike shop to get some flat pedals slapped on. Goodbye clipless!
Oh, yeah, if you don't have sticky rubber, you're not getting the flat pedal experience. When people tell me they tried flats but didn't like them, I always ask when shoes they were wearing. Usually, they're mountain biking in their New Balances, which just won't give you the locked-in traction you get with Five Tens or other sticky rubber. If they're still willing to explore further, I point them toward this: https://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/The-Flat-Pedal-Revolution-Manifesto-2017.pdf. The Flat-Pedal Manifesto has tons of evidence to explain how flats are nearly as efficient while offering so many advantages. As someone put it, "Flat pedals are one percent less efficient, and 100 percent more fun."

There are also some eye-opening videos from Global Cycling Network (Google "GCN flat pedals"), who mostly focus on roadie stuff. They were really surprised by the results of their science-based testing (I wasn't).

Sadly, my year-round riding this season has been interrupted by some acute back pain, but I'll be back on schedule soon. Thanks for keeping up the inspiration.

Top Bottom