• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Athlete Vaporists?

fangorn

then...
I went out to run 3 times since the last race mentioned here...

my body took a long time to recover from my overly strenuous recovery.

I had talked about pains worse than aches...I think my stretching sessions were just too violent...and I really hurt myself...maybe mini tears in several places.
but the worst was the heel pain!!

I had to wait 3 weeks before resorting!!!

and so... since then, I've been out 3 times.

3 outings of less than 30 min. 3.8km, 4.2 and... 5km!!
I don't feel any aches, tears or anything.
I have to be careful not to push too hard on my heels for a day or two after my sessions, but after that it's fine!

I took a closer look at my shoes...addidas a bit old...but new...the soles weren't even attacked!!
but hey, I'll invest in a good pair soon!

and so, on the last outing, I had slept 3 hours at night, eaten a piece of bread in the morning, a few seeds before leaving... I was not well on the first hectometres... the worst feelings since my reprise ! moreover at the level of the breath, whereas it was easy the times before, this time, I had to concentrate on it... it was more difficult and less natural...

but finally I hung on and I did 5km in 28 or 29 minutes...
when I started running again, I was aiming for the short term, 10km in 1 hour... but I'm super happy to have kept up the pace for 5 km! and apart from the next 15 minutes (walking, stretching, 30 push-ups, 50 sit-ups) I was great the rest of the day!

very cool...can't wait to go back!!!

Good sport and good vape to all!

fangorn

Are you one of those folks who think, " If a little felt good than alot must feel better"?
Take your time getting back out there! Another injury is not needed. IMHO

I don't think I belong to this group...
in what sense are you saying that?

I agree that injury is not desirable...!
I'm looking for my new "young old" limits... but I have the impression that aiming for 30 min at 10 km/h is correct...

on the other hand, I am part of the group "when thc is not enough to reduce tension, hurting myself a little makes me feel good..."
and I'm too tense right now, I have to look for solutions!
I understood after my first two sessions that hurting myself too much... is certainly good in terms of tension, but that I am a loser in the medium term...

so unless you really think that aiming for 30min at 10km/h is contraindicated in my case, and that I understand why... that will be my goal... and I won't blame myself if I don't achieve it not !
but I would like to stabilize myself at this level for a while... so that it is "acquired"!

tell me if i missed something...

DrJynx86

It's never late to start, I see the examples of 70 year old grandmothers that start doing fitness with a ripped body or 80 year old body builders and even when I wasted my earlier 34 years being lazy, next week I'm 36 and I'm on the second year of pushing my limits, I only compare and compete with myself, and it feels better every day.

Hat's off to people with natural will to pursue the same, I'm still very lazy but getting better :D

fangorn

Hat's off to people with natural will to pursue the same, I'm still very lazy but getting better :D

in my last session, i thought to myself... "what if i tried to vaporize a micro amount just before leaving...?"
and then I remembered that thc had more than once led me to prefer my sofa to my running shoes!

so I visualized my vaping session after a good shower... and I put my shoes on before I had time to think!

CANtalk

A half marathon is really impressive @WisePenny :luv:.

Get out there @VapeEscapist and enjoy! Nice to hear from you again :nod:. I did 40 miles on the MTB just recently... that's gotta be like 70 miles on the road (the ride info below)

An interesting thing about riding mtb in my experience: comfort on the bike, (balance, control, steering) can be random, fitness aside. Sometimes I feel 100% in control after a long layoff, like the bike is an extension of my body. Others I feel like I've never ridden when I just rode a day ago... It's all relative cause I don't ride recklessly and stay in control but feel varies for one reason or another.
Same thing happens to me :sherlock:. Sometimes it feels like I'm in uber control on the MTB, other times I feel like I'm hanging on for dear life. I find rest helps. And lots of seat time :).

5 km in <30 min is no joke @fangorn :tup:. As for pushing exercise, a number of members here discussed over-exercising a while back. I suffer from it and didn't even know over-exercising was a thing. In many ways, most all of us like to push ourselves in some way or ways. And some more than others.

Nice to see all the contributions! I've made it out a few more times riding MTB trails this week, and with fall colors here on the dirt trail system, I felt propelled to do a big MTB ride, ~40 miles out and back... and in >82 F heat. 3 hr 45 min of moving time and a ~1/2 hr of rest/picture time. It was a great ride for 2/3rds, lots of power, energy and easy to get into a nice enjoyable rhythm/pace. Passed a few ebikes lol. Did a lot of rugged single track, I included the #2 cardio killer trail in the area and sought out the adventurous trails. Ate two energy bars half the distance in. Then I ran began to run out of gas in the tank :razz:. And much earlier in the trip than I was expecting. Late in the trip, I even felt like I could tell when the muscles switched over to metabolizing proteins after using up glycogen. Some muscle pain around that :evil:. I did not enjoy the last few km, lol. Still, after some food and a rest, this 40 mile MTB ride is settling in as an excellent and top memorable experience for the year. I've recovered quickly. Eating more really helps!

I'm coming up to ~1000 miles soon 🚀, and MTB season is almost done. Cheers!

HAF so sorry for any grammar/ spelling issues :haw:

Have a great weekend and enjoy ur outdoor exercise.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

CANtalk

Today was so nice, I went out again :clap:. Sunny, very low wind, 70 F... beautiful. And I felt so good, I ended up doing a ~17 mile MTB trail ride :luv: (including the #1 and #2 cardio trails in the area back to back). I had pretty good strength, power and endurance (99 minutes moving time). Only one stop on the #1 difficult cardio trail... and I didn't really stop after that for the rest of the ride. Didn't run out of gas either 👍.

That half pizza and large slush earlier in the day must have helped :brow:. I need big calories with so much exercise. After today's ride, I had a bowl of basmati rice and a protein drink. Yesterday morning, I enjoyed a stack of blueberry buttermilk pancakes with butter pads and maple syrup :drool:.

I hope everyone is out there enjoying some good weather. I'd be surprised if I can get 5 more rides in before the season ends here (weather gets too cold). Really had a great time today. After getting home, showering and eating, I recently vaped the first cannabis of the day :leaf:. Went with a strong sativa, Sour Tangie. And yet again on a weekend, I'm enjoying the combination of a runners high with a cannabis high :love:. Most recommended and cheers to all of you combining cannabis & exercise :tup:.

Keep the stories coming, they're very inspiring. And have a great Sunday

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
tell me if i missed something...

So there are some things that could be handled more ideally, but first of all: kudos for hanging on to it!

I think my stretching sessions were just too violent...

I would recommend to avoid at least static stretching; science shows that for runners static stretching exercises offer no benefits at all and on the other hand represent an injury risk (as you have experienced). Instead look into dynamic stretching, which is very helpful as a warm up routine.

and so, on the last outing, I had slept 3 hours at night

Exercising actually has two parts: the exercise itself and recovering from that exercise. Our bodies do not adapt to increased volumes of exercise while we doing them, but rather while we are resting, especially when we sleep. So if you don't give yourself enough rest, you will have to cope with a body that is still beaten up from your last session and at some point will stop to adapt to the new tasks you give him.

I took a closer look at my shoes...addidas a bit old...but new...the soles weren't even attacked!!

The outsole of a (running?) shoe is not a good metric for how beaten up a shoe is, usually the midsole is the first piece to loose its capabilities and thus causing pains and injuries. Also keep in mind that some midsole materials degrade over time even when you don't use them, so pulling out a shoe after four years or whatever is not always a good idea. It's the one item we should really invest in (not necessarily by throwing money in the air, but rather by doing some good research and rely on a good running shop). I see that you plan to buy new shoes, just wanted to mention it because it is crucial.

In general: take it slow. Consistency is much more important and beneficial than some time or distance goal.

---

Still running my usual 80 to 90km per week, weather is perfect for running these days, no wonder the marathon world record was broken in my home city last weekend. :-)

Dustin McKief

Hey, new member checking in :)

I've always enjoyed running and have done it since the age of 10 (in my mid-50s now). I don't compete, but have done some races to join friends, fund raisers, etc. I run about a half hour at medium tempo 4-5x per week on roads. It makes for a great break from work where I gain aerobic/muscle strength as well as maintaining my weight in a healthy range.

I also bike, but mainly for fun. It definitely adds variety and strengthens different muscles which I appreciate.

I'm a microdoser, although I'm still trying to figure out how to do that most effectively with vapor (1.25-1.5mg edibles is ideal for me). If I overdo my dose, I find that I often talk myself out of getting out there, find other stuff to do or overeat (not sure if anyone else can relate?). I find that the correct dose for me results in a great 'flow' that's meditative and energizing.

MrBaked.co

I'm a runner. Love to run most days and have for a while but only started taking it more seriously recently as I approach 40.

Ran my first race in August and got another booked for November.

Currently nursing a recurring knee issue though and not sure I'm gonna get over it by then 👎

DrJynx86

I have crystal ankles, once I sprained playing football (soccer), a friend had the cold anesthetic spray and we used it like it was a novelty, everybody happy, and then I sprained the same ankle again just by walking :( that was a really bad sprain because of the double lesion, only felt it after the match when got cold.

hinglemccringleberry

This may have already been talked about in this thread, but does anyone notice a difference in cardio stamina being sober vs having a THC buzz?

I'm not talking about smokers vs non smokers (we know the answer to that) ...I'm asking specifically about vapers who don't smoke at all, and your cardio performance sober vs high.

I don't have anything except anecdotes, but I sure feel like the size of my gas tank increases a little bit when doing cardio whilst enjoying THC effects via a small dose / microdose, versus doing cardio sober. I have noticed the difference both when I do jiu jitsu and when I go for runs. It's not a giant difference but it is enough of a difference to be noticeable..

Last edited:

GoldenBud

I don't have anything except anecdotes, but I sure feel like the size of my gas tank increases a little bit when doing cardio whilst enjoying THC effects via a small dose / microdose,
I think it's because a session before training will raise the dopamine levels, and then it'll be easier for the brain to release more seratonin/dopamine during the cardio. like, once the floodgate is opened, more water will flow :brow:

fangorn

@Siebter

Thank you very much for the time you take to answer, it is greatly appreciated here!

Instead look into dynamic stretching, which is very helpful as a warm up routine.

I will look at it...
I practiced such exercises for many years in handball training...
I'll check to make sure we're talking about the same thing...
but if so, I couldn't imagine doing this before a 30-minute race!
I would rather have put the 30-minute run before these dynamic stretches haha!

but why not, I'll take a look!

So if you don't give yourself enough rest, you will have to cope with a body that is still beaten up from your last session and at some point will stop to adapt to the new tasks you give him.

yeah...it's a fucking vicious circle...

Cannabis has been helping me regulate emotions and tension... and sleep for 20 years. and for a few months it is no longer enough. even while vaping a lot more.
hence the resumption of Athletic activity. the other reasons are also valid but that was the trigger...
but therefore tensions, stoned all day... an average of 4 hours of sleep per night... and the lack of sleep reinforces the nervousness, which prevents me from sleeping afterwards...
a vicious circle, in short.

after my first two sessions where I hurt myself, I fell asleep on the sofa and I slept for 8 hours!
after my 25-30 min sessions... I almost had more energy!
at this stage, getting back to sleep is an exercise in itself, just like a running session!

short, I know it's part of the game ... but for now I have to deal with this parameter. and I do hope that regularity will help me make it a virtuous circle!

The outsole of a (running?)

yes yes, running shoes... with which I probably had to run 10 times and play football 3 times...

In general: take it slow. Consistency is much more important and beneficial than some time or distance goal.

yes thank you, thanks to your reminder, I aimed much lower... (twice lower!)
in any case I do not feel disappointed or failed!

maybe 30 minutes at 8--10 km/h still seems too high in my case...
honestly, I haven't "studied" this... I'm going to try to make it a goal of regularity and stabilize myself at this level for a while. (to see how winter goes here...)

I noticed that regularity was more valuable than goals... I can't run without a goal... I don't know if it can be learned at my young age!

(I feel like I say "yes but" to everything... I'm not that stubborn and I noted all the good advice, huh! thanks again!)

Happy vaping to everybody!

vctr

I had talked about pains worse than aches...I think my stretching sessions were just too violent...and I really hurt myself...maybe mini tears in several places.
but the worst was the heel pain!!

Hey, this is not how to strech! It should feel good. The point is to relax the muscle. Strech it and relax into it. Breath slow and deep to make your mind understand that it is a safe position to be in.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
in my last session, i thought to myself... "what if i tried to vaporize a micro amount just before leaving...?"
and then I remembered that thc had more than once led me to prefer my sofa to my running shoes!

so I visualized my vaping session after a good shower... and I put my shoes on before I had time to think!

Yeah being high before training weakens me considerably.. and kills my motivation...
Im only 36... maybe when im older and full of aches and pains, a vape before workout might be just what i need.. but not yet..

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I will look at it...
I practiced such exercises for many years in handball training...
I'll check to make sure we're talking about the same thing...
but if so, I couldn't imagine doing this before a 30-minute race!
I would rather have put the 30-minute run before these dynamic stretches haha!

Haha, no, I think we're not talking about the same – I'm referring to very gentle stretching exercises to, as @vctr explained, relax the muscles. If you google „dynamic stretching for runners“ you will see tons of routines. Take the easiest / shortest / low-keyest of them. :-)

but for now I have to deal with this parameter. and I do hope that regularity will help me make it a virtuous circle!

For me running was a huge motivation factor to control my sleep – it makes a big difference to run with eight hours of sleep in your bag or only six (...or four). *Big* difference. Not only in performance, but also when it comes to how much we enjoy a run. For the same reason I started eating more healthy at some point, because that too makes a big difference. Good habits are much easier to follow when they point to a specific goal.

maybe 30 minutes at 8--10 km/h still seems too high in my case...
honestly, I haven't "studied" this... I'm going to try to make it a goal of regularity and stabilize myself at this level for a while. (to see how winter goes here...)

You could at some point introduce the idea of „easy runs“ in your plan, that way you will have runs with different mind sets, which is always a good idea (variety is a key element when it comes to intelligent training). Anyway, I always go by feel and often have no idea how fast a run will be until I finished it. To regulate my easy runs (because it is surprisingly hard to run slow sometimes) I use a heart rate monitor and try to stay in a specific heart rate zone, but going by feel should work well enough. It's important to know that there's no „too slow” if it feels good.

This may have already been talked about in this thread, but does anyone notice a difference in cardio stamina being sober vs having a THC buzz?

Um good question. Because I pretty much always have a Dynavap before hitting the road to be perfectly honest. The are some cases where I don't have a session prior to a run and I could compare the numbers, but there are so many parameters that affect our heart rate & endurance that I think it wouldn't be very useful to do so – for example I also have a coffee with my pre run Dynavap, sometimes I'll have a caffeinated gel during my long runs, then there's also for example the weather (the current fall temperatures here in Germany let my heart rate drop by at least 5 bpm at the same effort level), how well I slept that day etc. etc.¹

¹I use heart rates as a way to estimate my stamina, because usually when the tank goes empty, the HR goes up.

Yeah being high before training weakens me considerably.. and kills my motivation...
Im only 36... maybe when im older and full of aches and pains, a vape before workout might be just what i need.. but not yet..

Sure, there's a risk of sticking to the sofa and I wouldn't recommend to have some kinda heavy indica strain right before a run, but for me it actually helps to stay focused. It's a great combo (when it works).

Last edited:

el sargantano

You could at some point introduce the idea of „easy runs“ in your plan, that way you will have runs with different mind sets, which is always a good idea (variety is a key element when it comes to intelligent training).
I normally go up to a hill pass with some different paths to choose to come back.
These are 9, 13 & 16 km routes and I choose it according to how I feel when I get the spot. Sometimes I expected one training and switch plan at the top, not always adding mileage.
A cheap gps with bpm data keeps me slow enough to get the distances, I tend to run faster if forget at home and need to go by feel (maybe a sativa-related issue).

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I normally go up to a hill pass with some different paths to choose to come back.
These are 9, 13 & 16 km routes and I choose it according to how I feel when I get the spot. Sometimes I expected one training and switch plan at the top, not always adding mileage.

That sounds like a great hill! :-) I am pretty sure training by feel is a good thing because it makes us avoid overtraining, it also just feels much more natural. Most of the times I only know the first few kilometers before starting a run and find my way according to the flow I experience during the run. I also love to „accidentally lose my way“, which usually does not cause any issues because I have a breadcrumb navigation on my watch that shows me where I am relative to where I started. Keeps things fresh and exciting.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
That sounds like a great hill! :-) I am pretty sure training by feel is a good thing because it makes us avoid overtraining, it also just feels much more natural. Most of the times I only know the first few kilometers before starting a run and find my way according to the flow I experience during the run. I also love to „accidentally lose my way“, which usually does not cause any issues because I have a breadcrumb navigation on my watch that shows me where I am relative to where I started. Keeps things fresh and exciting.

I use my Fitbit Sense to avoid the wildlife when encountered unexpectedly. I don't run for time. I run for a specific distance. Mostly 5K with some additional miles at times. As of late....We have a good group of coyote, the occasional bobcat and of course deer. Since I run at night I sometimes run into these guys. I normally see them from a slight distance and when I do I change up the track I planned on running to avoid them. I refer to the Fitbit GPS tracking to make sure I cover the distance I set out to do.

I feel pretty confident that these critters won't get aggressive unless I corner them but I have also almost been run over by deer flying out of the woods in a group as I ran by. I've also had deer freeze while staring at me (I wear a bright light to illuminate me and what's in front of me) until I get close to them and then they bolt...sometimes into the road and I'd feel like crap if I caused a deer to get run over. I had a bobcat come out of the woods right in front of me by about 20 feet while I was running on the sidewalk. The damn thing just kept trotting in front of me without a care in the world until I clapped my hands and shined the light on it. It casually slipped back into the woods. I decided to turn around rather than continue running and come back the same way. As for the coyotes...Seen them crossing the street at the 4 way intersection near the woods. I didn't think they were supposed to be this big but some are weighing in over 50 pounds and I'm pretty sure they hunt in packs. I've heard them wailing as a pack a few times and suspect they caught something. Outdoor cats are disappearing in droves around here.

Top Bottom