• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Athlete Vaporists?

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Just some random thoughts:

I have been told in Germany the normal healthy blood pressure is considered to be what we here in the UK call high.

That Fitbit Sense looks amazing, I still don't think I could wear a watch, but I can fully appreciate that it does a lot. Does it track altitude?

I don't do any tracking.

Heart rate at 40-60 is considered super healthy here in the UK! Or in fact, if you go to the GP with a heart rate below 60 they are *concerned*, until you tell them you do a lot of exercise, then they seem to calm down a bit. Definitely in a minority to have strong hearts in later life. Many people I know have problems, I lost a lot of friends over the last few years, just dropping dead from one thing or another.

In the peak of my anxiety attacks (thankfully a thing of the past) my heart rate would randomly shoot up to 80, 90, 100bpm for no apparent reason at all while sitting and resting! Deeply unpleasant!

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
That Fitbit Sense looks amazing, I still don't think I could wear a watch, but I can fully appreciate that it does a lot. Does it track altitude?
It can track when I'm doing stairs (running or walking) but to track altitude I believe you need to install a free add-on app.

His_Highness,
Reactions: kel

CANtalk

Wow, excellent physical shape (both of u). Big tip of the hat 🎩. Ah @His_Highness, makes more sense now 💡... interesting and nice smart watch fitness tracker feedback.

Here are some more MTB vids 4 those interested here, enjoy.

POV MTB racing. Wow & mad skillz

I was vaping a strong sativa and it's pretty intense lol.

These too

Have a great weekend.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Thanks for these videos, one of them led me to this. Yes, he's just walking, but he's carrying a lot of gear and in the most remote and difficult area of the UK. I have climbed some of these mountains. Many years ago, in the winter rather than the glorious summer weather he is enjoying here; they are brutal, they look amazing, but they are not to be underestimated... enjoy!!

p.s. also appreciate the self documentation... impressive! And also, weather changes come hard and fast up there... harder and faster than you can imagine!

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Just got back from my 7th trip to Amsterdam and boy are my legs tired (of riding an awful bike). I thought I would "tough it out" on the bikes at the hotel for convenience sake (18 euro a day including insurance) and regretted the choice. I've used these 50+ pound (no exaggeration) Sherman tank of a bike cruiser they use in Amsterdam before and I hated it the first time. Not sure why I thought I would be ok with it this time. :lol:

In 2012 I rented a touring bike for an obscene amount of money and did the 50 mile round trip to Zandvort, which was fantastic.

I should have bought a bike or laid out the near 150-200 euro (yes you read right) for a hybrid rental for the week. It's about that much to ship my bike over as well, and then I'm worried it will be damaged in transit. For years locals have told me, "Just buy a bike and leave it somewhere/give it away when you go!". Next time, almost certainly.

I know the town is all relatively short trips for the average rider, but I like to cover a lot of ground and I'm not good at cruising around so slow when I'm so used to and capable of being fast and nimble. I'm super safe, the rare tourist who can average higher speeds in that town and not be a danger to himself and others.

The bright side was that my hotel in Sloterdijk was situated in a way that a ride to Barney's Breakfast Bar was mostly through Westerpark, making for some idyllic morning rides to an idyllic locale.

CANtalk

More mad MTB skillz here 🚵‍♂️... and amazing scenery/views. EMTB content too.. is this how you EMTB'rs here are getting out :o:brow:?

Enjoy and have a great weekend.

:peace: :leaf:

CANtalk,
Reactions: kel

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
EMTB content too..
*Electric dirt bike.

Just like regular e-bikes are mopeds.

Why make a distinction between gas powered and electric?

They both have motors..... And if it has a motor, I shouldn't share a lane with it. Sorry, extremely not sorry. It was sad to see how many Amsterdamers were on e-bikes for what is likely -3 mile commute for the majority.

For anything with a motor to be lumped in with cycling culture, is kind of insulting, to me.

Edit: to be clear, it's not the vehicles or the people who ride them that I take exception with. It's the corporations who have branded them as "bikes" and also have the gall to promote them as equal exercise.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I run three times a week, 10 to ~12.5 kilometers. Used to be strictly 10 when I was still smoking (and yeah, I used to smoke a J right before a run...), now I'm much more able to extend a running session spontaneously and enjoy it much more too. Less heavy breathing, better stamina. Vaping makes a huge difference to me.

I live in Berlin, pretty much in the center of it – and I *so* enjoyed running when we had the hard lockdown when almost all the shops were closed and nobody was on the streets. Usually my tracks are full of party people, heavy traffic and tourists, but during the lockdown I sometimes met only a handful of people and three or four cars in a fifty minute run. Had some magic to it.

That was my first post here a little over a year ago. Around that time I started taking running more serious than I used to, slowly increased my mileage and runs per week, now I'm at about 50 miles / 80km per week and 5 runs. It seems like me fucking combustion (which I started in 2018) now really takes effect and unlocks a potential I never believed I could use. These days I run a half marathon every weekend, a distance I planned to maybe give a try only a year ago. My best pace used to be at 5:10/km for 10k, maybe 5:00/km when I felt really good, yesterday I ran an average pace of 4:30/km on a 22.5km course and it felt fantastic. I don't follow training plans, just run for fun (basically) and try to train smart and listen to my body.

Just a little side note because I see heart rates and zones discussed: note that wrist based heart rate monitoring works fine during the day or when we are asleep, but when it comes to exercises, this approach fails to deliver the precision needed to work with the numbers. I recommend a chest strap or, if you are like me and find them to be uncomfortable, an arm based optical monitor (for example the Polar Verity Sense) which you can wear on your biceps or forearm and pair with a watch. Otherwise the numbers will most likely be way off, at least during harder efforts with lots of movement.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Lovely vape n run today through a pretty intense storm, bogs deep full of water, paths become streams, the wind and the rain... injury and bad pain free! Still lots of good pain, but that's cool... super buzzing after a hot shower!!!

The weather here has been very varied the last few days, black brooding clouds punctuated with epic sunshine, huge double rainbow yesterday... the trees are turning colour, if the wind doesn't blow all the leaves off it is going to be incredible here in a few days time when the sun returns for the week. It already looks like autumn... but it truly blazes when the sun shines on it!

I hope all the athlete vaporists are doing good and having a good weekend 😃

His_Highness

Took several weeks to get past the "starting back up" aches, pains and breathing/stamina. Schedule has become running Monday, Wednesday and Friday and strength training Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Sunday is either a cross-train with the bike or a physical honey-do like the lawn. I aim for negative splits (running the back half faster than the front half) but I'm not consistently there yet. I can't quite get that last quarter mile kick where I want it due to a lack of leg strength ..... I'm getting that runner's high combined with a cannabis high the way I like it so motivation to keep it up is firmly in place.

Didn't realize how long I had slacked off before this. Been running into forgotten parts of the exercise ritual like a half cup of black coffee a half hour before running. It was harder off the line and it took longer to get to the runner's high until I remembered the coffee. My heart rate and aggression (I'm super sensitive to caffeine) are halfway there before I take off.....

Now the dispensary isn't the only run I make ;)

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
All the fair weather riders have already abandoned the lanes. :lol:
Same here, I see fewer and fewer runners on the streets these days.

Here's what the course looked like on my run yesterday, it was this seasons first real test of my outdoor durability:

resized_IMG_20211104_185012.jpg
Not *that* cold (~ 7°C / 45°F), but heavy rain and super windy. It's that time of the year again. 🏃‍♂️⛈️

His_Highness

Same here, I see fewer and fewer runners on the streets these days.

Here's what the course looked like on my run yesterday, it was this seasons first real test of my outdoor durability:

View attachment 14095
Not *that* cold (~ 7°C / 45°F), but heavy rain and super windy. It's that time of the year again. 🏃‍♂️⛈️
Good on ya!!!!!

I love running in the cold and if you can add some light rain/drizzle its even better. Freezing temps without rain is also good. Most of the time (in Florida) I avoid torrential downpours. When I would train for marathons and half's or a personal record (PR), I would run outside no matter the weather.

I haven't chased a PR in quite awhile and probably won't do another marathon till I'm 70 (7 more years). Marathons require a good amount of training time and mental and physical dedication/conditioning for me. The family hates that I may not attend/do something because I have to do a long run or am too worn out to do anything but sit in a hot tub. I don't set out for PRs anymore so my goal for a marathon is now about running the marathon without stopping or walking. If I walk or stop ... I failed.

I have a really good basic dreadmill that I've had for over a decade. Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but has a good, long deck, strong incline and strong motor. I hate it. Haven't used it for years but it was raining hard last night and will continue throughout the weekend so I missed last night's run. Going to lube it up, make a couple deck adjustments and use it today. Good to have a backup plan but using the dreadmill makes me feel like I'm a big ol' baby. The good side is I can watch some TV when I run......still sucks....

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
it dawned on me the other day that i have been doing aerobics for 40 years - started with 20 min/day, now 30 min/day, 5 days/week. added strength training 8 years ago for 3 to 4 times per week for an additional 30 minutes those days. i find it hard to believe i have been this committed to aerobics, but i have come to believe it is vital for life: must pump oxygen to the mitochondria. the trigger for me was having a child.

On my 5th NordicTrack - they only last me 7 years each. Typically hit just above my theoretical max heart rate (220-age) after about 5 minutes and maintain until the end of the session.

Bowflex Xtreme2 for resistance training, and 4x25 pushups, situps, squats for body weight exercise. still struggling to do pull-ups - but i am ever hopeful.

i have been maintaining a low carb/high fat omnivore nutrition plan - actually, just no sugar and no processed foods - since sept 2018. burning ketones for cellular fuel. recently found a great nutrition/fitness diary program - cronometer.com - and investing some time to get it configured for my typical meals and workouts. wonderful displays of vitamins, macro nutrients, micro nutrients, rations of nutrients - still have a lot to explore. i love finally knowing how to feed myself. god bless youtube.

all these pieces just seem to dovetail together so well. i have never been healthier and i have the energy to work on all my projects. i'm 73 now and i plan to ride this lifestyle to the end. which i hope is before the oncoming dystopia.

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
I've been working on improving my running pace - I hate to admit that I am chasing a 'me' from 25 years ago. And while I am nowhere near that pace yet, I did get a post-40 Personal record on my 10 k this weekend, which felt great.

Besides that, I am focused on improving the consistency of my pace, which is quite a different challenge - this 10k, I had a 34 second spread between my slowest and fastest kilometre, which is not bad, but isn't great. A couple weeks ago I did a 6 or 8 km run with only a 13 second spread.

Why does it matter? I doesn't at all, but It's good to have goals, and it helps to push myself. As well, I am only competing against myself, which is great for my confidence hahaha.

His_Highness

it dawned on me the other day that i have been doing aerobics for 40 years - started with 20 min/day, now 30 min/day, 5 days/week. added strength training 8 years ago for 3 to 4 times per week for an additional 30 minutes those days. i find it hard to believe i have been this committed to aerobics, but i have come to believe it is vital for life: must pump oxygen to the mitochondria. the trigger for me was having a child.

On my 5th NordicTrack - they only last me 7 years each. Typically hit just above my theoretical max heart rate (220-age) after about 5 minutes and maintain until the end of the session.

Bowflex Xtreme2 for resistance training, and 4x25 pushups, situps, squats for body weight exercise. still struggling to do pull-ups - but i am ever hopeful.

i have been maintaining a low carb/high fat omnivore nutrition plan - actually, just no sugar and no processed foods - since sept 2018. burning ketones for cellular fuel. recently found a great nutrition/fitness diary program - cronometer.com - and investing some time to get it configured for my typical meals and workouts. wonderful displays of vitamins, macro nutrients, micro nutrients, rations of nutrients - still have a lot to explore. i love finally knowing how to feed myself. god bless youtube.

all these pieces just seem to dovetail together so well. i have never been healthier and i have the energy to work on all my projects. i'm 73 now and i plan to ride this lifestyle to the end. which i hope is before the oncoming dystopia.
Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!!! How are your feet?? There was a study done about people over 60 and the biggest complaint was that their feet hurt. Half the time different areas of my feet can be sensitive before a run, stop hurting after a couple minutes into the run and sting the next morning. Rinse and repeat. It's not really a joke to say I do an inventory each morning my feet hit the floor. Haven't been stopped yet!

I didn't have much luck with dreadmills until I found Sole dreadmills a bunch of years ago. Sole is not big on bells and whistles but the important stuff like the deck, deck length, incline, rollers and motor are well above average, made to last, less expensive than the big names and I believe the deck and motor have a lifetime warranty.

While we're on the subject of exercise equipment....I've had good luck experimenting with interest in different machines by waiting 2-3 months after Christmas to start looking for exercise equipment that have become clothing hangers. Picked up a expensive Schwinn elliptical for half and then after we decided it wasn't for us sold it for a profit.

Good points on the nutritional aspect.....I do a very high protein, low fat, lower carb approach - basically lean protein and whatever man hasn't messed with. Fruit and veggies ....no grain. I do take a break from eating this way if I get too lean, for special occasions and also for holidays like Thanksturkey and Kwanzahannarismus.

I lost pull-ups when I injured my left shoulder doing pull-ups and the doctor suggested I leave it be since I could still do curls and because at my age the extended recuperation and physical therapy time wasn't going to be worth it unless it got much worse. I seriously miss those pull ups...great shoulder and lat work....

vapirtoo

My buddy and I spin indoors on Zwift which makes a huge difference
while in the pain cave! I simply cannot do dreadmills. I can run a 5k
in 22 min. outside with hills and scenery, but that boring ass indoor
shit!? NOOOO!
I still have a sprinters mind set. Get it done quickly and violently. LOL
I used to do very slow pullups x 10 for maximum effect.
Have to check those out. Power to weight is still pretty good at 69 yrs. old,
127lbs at 5'6," so I checked it; only could do 3 pullups easily and
3 was more than enough. LOL
Diet is key.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-1b46.jpg

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
How are your feet?? There was a study done about people over 60 and the biggest complaint was that their feet hurt. Half the time different areas of my feet can be sensitive before a run, stop hurting after a couple minutes into the run and sting the next morning. Rinse and repeat. It's not really a joke to say I do an inventory each morning my feet hit the floor. Haven't been stopped yet!
Ha - this doesn't bode well for me. . . mid-40's and my feet already hurt.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Sorry for the radio silence, been out working doing a lot of hard labour, so no running, but lots of all body workout lifting heavy shit moving large sheets of material around and smashing buildings up haha! I do like a good bit of crowbar action, all day workouts day after day, yep! Especially good smashing stuff up, see that crowbar smash through old plasterboard - very satisfying!! Even more satisfying to see the new stuff go up... very good!

My feet have hurt since day one, as long as I can remember... all of me has to one degree or another, it never goes away, if it's not one thing it's another, it never gets any better, the best I can hope for is days of less pain.

Hope you are all doing well and good to see some new voices in the athlete vaporists thread :tup:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
My feet have hurt since day one, as long as I can remember... all of me has to one degree or another, it never goes away, if it's not one thing it's another, it never gets any better, the best I can hope for is days of less pain.

Huh. I think it's pretty much the norm to have issues every now and then, we do put quite some strain in our bodies and they need time to adapt. However, nowadays there's so much good information out there referring to plantar fasciitis, runners knee, how different type of shoes affect our running physics, how to stretch before and after a run etc. etc. that I think we shouldn't have to accept our exercises to be painful. Certain pain issues can easily lead to serious injuries in the long run (*this* pun is intended) when we accept (=ignore) them – I love to run long & fast and test my limits, but my ultimate goal is to still run when I'm 70 or 80. Running makes me fitter, but I also have to be fit to run. *Everyone* has some kind of issue like some bones growing all wrong or certain muscle groups we have to consider more than others, and sports is also about being mindful of our shortcomings. Just saying, hope it doesn't sound precocious.

His_Highness

Huh. I think it's pretty much the norm to have issues every now and then, we do put quite some strain in our bodies and they need time to adapt. However, nowadays there's so much good information out there referring to plantar fasciitis, runners knee, how different type of shoes affect our running physics, how to stretch before and after a run etc. etc. that I think we shouldn't have to accept our exercises to be painful. Certain pain issues can easily lead to serious injuries in the long run (*this* pun is intended) when we accept (=ignore) them – I love to run long & fast and test my limits, but my ultimate goal is to still run when I'm 70 or 80. Running makes me fitter, but I also have to be fit to run. *Everyone* has some kind of issue like some bones growing all wrong or certain muscle groups we have to consider more than others, and sports is also about being mindful of our shortcomings. Just saying, hope it doesn't sound precocious.
Sounds about right to me.....

My older brother (by 12 years) started getting gout (Arthritis) in his 50's. Genetically we're pretty similar so when he gets something like that so do I around the same age he did. My brother does not exercise or eat right and gout has left him with severe, permanent damage in his feet/toes.

I started getting gout attacks around the same age as my brother. My primary care doctor said the running might cause more painful/debilitating gout attacks since running stresses the feet/ankles and gout attacks the stressed/weakened areas of the feet. Turns out my doctor was wrong...the running has conditioned me and my feet. Almost all of my gout attacks occur when I've stopped running for a period of time.

There are times where I've felt the start of an attack and literally ran it off before it became too intense to run. As long as I'm running regularly I rarely get a serious attack. I don't think avoiding gout is just due to just my feet being strengthened by running....gout attacks tend to occur when you're not eating right and/or you feel mentally stressed. Basically anything that can adversely affect your immune system is giving gout an extra push and since exercise reduces stress, enhances sleep and enforces good eating habits...its helping me stay gout free more.

According to the study the most common complaint for all people over 60 is that their feet hurt....I know the difference between sore feet and an attack (for me sore feet is kind of a dull ache while gout is like a 100 hot needles with electricity running through them).

His_Highness,
Reactions: Siebter
Top Bottom