Athlete Vaporists?

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
^Did my 50 mile route down to the Rockaways today.

Difference was.... I met with @vapirtoo along the way! I gave him one of my infused sugar cookies and he ate half without blinking an eye. We climbed the Marine Parkway Bridge, rode the Rockaways, and ground through the headwind on the Jamaica causeway until we reached the famous New Park Pizza in Howard Beach.

Very nice time; gorgeous weather and awesome company. We kept a good pace and had some nice conversation on the way as well. We parted ways and I rode home in the headwind but still felt pretty strong. Looking forward to next time as well. Thanks for meeting up!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I love that you guys did this so much!! It's awesome!!!

Put a fuckin smile on my face today - thank you 😃

Another run today, and another nasal breathing experience, the first mile+ completely snot free - then I turned into the wind and it started again, but nothing like the first day. Just a couple of moments of losing control and resorting to mouth breathing, literally four mouth breaths in 4 miles?

I am being schooled in the structure of my ass muscles, they are doing the rounds, every day it is progressing through another part of my right ass, I am putting this down to new shoes adjustment, I am clearly running differently and that muscle group is not working in quite that specific way and there's pressures that need to be resolved, this is a good thing, it's growing pains, nothing more serious! The specific parts of the muscle group that were hurting 2 days ago are no longer hurting. Another week maybe and I will have adjusted and added another angle of tolerance.

Some rather nice cbg and cbd pollen putting that inflation to rest pretty damn fast :tup:

Weather wise it has turned grey and wet here, the bogs are wet again, lots of puddles to splash through, some parts of the track turned into mini streams, previously solid ground giving way 4-5 inches in places, here we go... over the next few weeks it will get progressively more challenging to run over. I love this transition period, it's autumn, the colours of the leaves and the ground foliage started to change!

Hope everyone is doing well!

EverythingsHazy

I love that you guys did this so much!! It's awesome!!!

Put a fuckin smile on my face today - thank you 😃
Right? How cool!
Another run today, and another nasal breathing experience, the first mile+ completely snot free - then I turned into the wind and it started again, but nothing like the first day. Just a couple of moments of losing control and resorting to mouth breathing, literally four mouth breaths in 4 miles?
Woooo!!! That's awesome! I'm glad to hear that you're doing well, with the nasal breathing.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
It's not just my running, I am noticing small differences in daily life too, I am not generally a highly strung person anyway, but I feel calmer somehow, which is very interesting.

Recovery time when I stop running is ridiculously fast, and the end of runs, which I usually turned into a 'put as much energy as I can into the last few hundred yards' have become calmer even though I am still putting a lot more energy out.

I am trying to remember what I was told about breathing in the past and for some reason I keep coming back to this idea that it is wrong somehow to breathe out through the nose. I can't pinpoint where I first got this idea from, but it is probably from yoga, which is generally in through the nose, out through the mouth.

Last note, the breathing pattern in relation to steps taken seems to be setting on 4 steps for a breath in and then three steps for a breath out with a pause at the end for the fourth step. At first I sounded a bit like a steam train hehehe, but I have started controlling the release a bit more so it's not quite so explosive. Still more progress to be made here I think.

I need to read about it. I wish this book would turn up, might have to investigate, it's been over a week.

vapirtoo

Hey Kel,
Great rhythm with 4 in and 3 out.
You can always breathe through your mouth
when the need arrives.
Keep this up and your sense of smell should increase.
I think I can say this for all members," You live in
fuckin paradise!"
I can hear the jets at Kennedy airport as I type this.
Ocean breezes keep the air kind of acceptable.
But to just suck in some of your air off the moor
Heaven!
Your book is overdue WTF!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I agree, it is literally Paradise here! I feel very lucky and blessed!

We pay for it in the winter, it can be very challenging at times, but there are still beautiful days all year round and yes, the air is clear, lots of lichens and mosses grow here that won't down in the valley!

Haha, just sent an enquiry re. the book, looked at the tracking and the seller lied about which delivery service they used, this means it is lost because the delivery company they actually used just lie, take a random photo of the parcel and say things have been delivered when they haven't. So they will have to send another one - silly fools - only themselves to blame!

EverythingsHazy

It's not just my running, I am noticing small differences in daily life too, I am not generally a highly strung person anyway, but I feel calmer somehow, which is very interesting.
I'm not surprised! Nasal breathing does a few tings that can make us feel less anxious:

1. Increased levels of CO2 & nitric oxide help improve circulation and oxygenation, which means out hearts don't need to be pounding away to keep us sufficiently oxygenated, and we don't feel the need to "over breathe" (essentially chronic hyperventilation), both of which can trigger anxiety, which results in a feedback loop (breath too much, heart rate goes up, feel anxious, start breathing more, heart rate rises, feel more anxous, repeat).

2. Diaphragmatic breathing (when your belly moves more than your upper chest/shoulders, has a relaxing effect, due to stimulation of the vagus nerve, and nasal breathing tends to lead to more belly breathing vs chest breathing.

3. When we are breathing through out mouths into our chests, we tend to use our upper torso and neck muslces far more than we need to, so they can end up being tense and exhausted, after a while.

4. If you are consistent, your BOLT score is likely improving, which is supposed to be correlated with overall health improvement.

5. Lastly, making yourself more aware of how you are breathing, by itself, should help produce a sense of calmness, as it is basically a form of meditation that gives your mind a break from the constant stream of thoughts many of us tend to have flowing through our heads, all day.

It's a good thing you messaged them about the book. In the meantime, Patrick McKeown has a lot of videos on YouTube, if you want a bit more info.

CANtalk

Been three days off for me... I burned out physically :shrug:. It was needed after >100 miles in the previous week. Slept hard and a lot. Still, end of season beckons for outdoor exercise here... so I got out today again :tup:. I've never regretted going out on a single MTB ride yet this year :luv:. Went for ~17 miles and incorporated the top two hardcore trails in the local area 👍. I wasn't at full strength, but had good strength :). It was an excellent fun ride... and in warm fall weather ☀️ 🚵‍♂️. Vaped some Maui Wowie after getting home (it's a potent wake-n-bake sativa), and am now on some Acapulco Gold in the vape... feeling goooood :science::science:.

Who else is getting out and burning off some energy? Have a great weekend.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Been alternating my exercise days by running easy 5k's one day and easy MTB with strength training the next day. I laid off way to long this time so I'm working my way back slower than past years. I think being in my 60's is also dictating how quickly I progress. Its been around 2 weeks and I'm finally beyond the new-start-soreness. I'm finding that the muscle memory from decades past of exercise investment is paying off ... just not as fast.

Love this time of year in Florida....cool nights for running and plenty of sun during the day....

CANtalk

The Trans Cascadia MTB race just ended. Looks awesome. Check it out and enjoy.

CANtalk

Another nice day & Sunday meant another MTB ride here 🚵‍♂️ 👍. I kept it easy today, ~10 miles on the local trails, exploring a little, as well as enjoying the fall colors and leaf cover (still rode one part to cardio exhaustion :razz:) . Great fun, mucho enjoyable & very very scenic. Been practicing nose breathing for a number of rides now too, with some success :). Cheers.

Have a great Sunday night.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Wow... full on wind and rain today, no nasal breathing for me once I got up onto the tops and was completely exposed to the elements!

It's simply not possible. At least not for me at my current levels of fitness.

I tried, oh yes... but the reality is that the wind takes your breath away, with limited air from trying to breathe through my nose and trying to run head first into ~40mph winds while being battered with horizontal rain and the insane amount of energy that requires, nope... I failed!!!

Hell, even running down hill into the wind was hard heheh

😂

I have also noticed that my lungs seem to want to open less. Not sure what that is about, but I ended up stopping and concentrating on expanding my stomach, abdomen and chest out as much as possible with very deep breaths to get it all to open up again. A few of those and I was away again, snatching gulps of air in defiance of the howling wind!

Otherwise absolutely fantastic, the paths turn into streams at certain points, so much splashing water, bogs back to their full levels of treacherousness - feet sinking into inky black mud - pulling them out again against the resistance suction, not a soul to be seen, no one else is daft enough to go out in this weather it would seem... absolutely wild!

I love it.

This is what makes me strong, if I can run in this... I can run in anything and running on dry sunny days becomes trivial!

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I love it.

This is what makes me strong, if I can run in this... I can run in anything and running on dry sunny days becomes trivial!
Yes sir.

The exposure makes us even more rugged than exercise alone. I ride in -20 - 100+ degrees, almost 12 years now. I greatly enjoy the empty bike lanes when the weather is a little damp/hot/cold.

From now until January, every 10 degrees colder is 25% less bikes on the road until we reach mid January and it's me, the food delivery guys, and maybe 2 other intrepid souls I might see, willing to gut it out through the slush and ice. I have what I call degrees of protection. A system of layering and insulation that I modify depending on conditions. In NYC, knowing the bike friendly stores on any route can be a life saving hot cocoa stop. Made the difference for me a few times. I often pack a Thermos of tea on the real cold days but sometimes you get caught under prepared.

Ever read those survival stories where someone has to swim to shore after a shipwreck and one by one people people went under until maybe one person made it? I feel like this sort of conditioning makes one more likely to be the one left telling the story....

His_Highness

Yes sir.

The exposure makes us even more rugged than exercise alone. I ride in -20 - 100+ degrees, almost 12 years now. I greatly enjoy the empty bike lanes when the weather is a little damp/hot/cold.

From now until January, every 10 degrees colder is 25% less bikes on the road until we reach mid January and it's me, the food delivery guys, and maybe 2 other intrepid souls I might see, willing to gut it out through the slush and ice. I have what I call degrees of protection. A system of layering and insulation that I modify depending on conditions. In NYC, knowing the bike friendly stores on any route can be a life saving hot cocoa stop. Made the difference for me a few times. I often pack a Thermos of tea on the real cold days but sometimes you get caught under prepared.

Ever read those survival stories where someone has to swim to shore after a shipwreck and one by one people people went under until maybe one person made it? I feel like this sort of conditioning makes one more likely to be the one left telling the story....

I've tried things just to see how my body would react. Some exercise related and some not...like not eating for days, staying up as long as I can, etc. Training is sometimes about overall conditioning....

I've purposely gone out on days where the temp is in the upper 90's or even in the 100's to condition myself for running in the daytime heat. I love a good sweat except when it causes my running shoes to get soaked. I don't run more than a 5k on those days and I'm super careful about heat stroke, heat exhaustion, dehydration and even hyponatremia (Drinking too much water on super hot days along with a good sweat, causing too much loss of sodium). I've completed normal runs on those warmer days and was covered in body sodium that looks like someone threw table salt all over me. There is a downside to heat conditioning....body becomes sensitive to heat so I react to cold more and can break out in a serious sweat when everyone else is just fine. We went to a Chilli's once where the AC had gone out and it was warm but not uncomfortable for others where I immediately started to sweat through my cloths. Very uncomfortable....when I complained about the lack of AC Chilli's management gave me $50 in Chilli Bucks.

And while we're on the topic of weather related considerations....anyone run during the winter months and caused, er um, nipple chafing? When the weather is between 30F to 40F I wear a long sleeve t-shirt/shorts and upwards of 40F I wear a normal t-shirt/shorts. About 15 minutes in I start to sweat. The cold air hits the sweat soaked upper shirt and starts to swing back and forth against the nips. I've taken to using band-aids on them when its cold like that which makes my family laugh hysterically. If I'm running with someone new to running they'll show up with sweat pants and a sweat shirt and I tell them....I'll be wishing I was dressed like you for the first 10 minutes but you'll be wishing you were dressed like me for the rest of the run.

His_Highness,
Reactions: kel

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I can't stress this highly enough...

Merino wool is your friend!!

But hey, don't just take my word for it, have a read:

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
We went to a Chilli's once where the AC had gone out and it was warm but not uncomfortable for others where I immediately started to sweat through my cloths.
Oh yeah, happens to me all the time. Just being a cardio addict will do this. People who exercise regularly have a faster more intense sweat response. I did a half hour hike to a local wholesale store today and sweat through my shirt by the time I got there. Was cool but just a little humid, that's all it took.

winter months and caused, er um, nipple chafing?
https://tv.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4bb05f68-032e-43d4-a5fb-7ea50e745cd3

It's usually summer months that give me this and I need to do like a 4 hour ride before it's a problem. If you just cut the adhesive off the side of a good fabric band-aid, that'll stick through most anything.

Merino wool is your friend!!
Yeah man, love my Smartwool socks. I actually go so far as to have neoprene layers for the worst days. You can buy inexpensive neoprene shirt, belly wrap, and shorts, on amazon. The belly wrap is super important as the wind cuts right into that area on a bike. Neoprene retains 90% of it's heat trapping qualities even when wet. My best ski masks are neoprene as well. My rain/snow boots are also lined with neoprene.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Interesting, I am not sure I need neoprene, although I do have some neoprene socks I find when they become really wet they become a bit of a problem in terms of stability. My feet seem to start sliding about in them, it's not pleasant or safe.

Otherwise the merino and a windproof layer are more than enough, even in sub zero (°C here in the UK) temps and crazy winds! I do tend to run hot though!

I think this is possibly more of an issue for cycling. Even running in the depths of winter I haven't found the need for much insulation while running.

Exposure time is probably a big factor too, I am never out running for more than an hour and a half.

One thing I do do when it is cold is warm up inside before going out, this can include rubbing Tiger Balm into any muscular areas I am struggling with to help avoid further injury. It really works amazingly well. I go through about 3 or 4 tubs of that a year haha!

Pain Relief Workout GIF by TigerBalmUS

edit: and YES merino socks are the best! I fully intend investing in some of those DarnTough Lifetime guarantee socks when I have some cash again and can afford some!

edit 2: think lightweight, check out the OMM stuff,

p.s. the guy doing the seemingly insane drop is Ellis Bland, I don't do crazy shit like that! If you visit the home page there's a rather alarming photo of him in the carousel at the top!

Last edited:

Hawaii Johnny

A dolphin
And while we're on the topic of weather related considerations....anyone run during the winter months and caused, er um, nipple chafing?

I use vaseline on all my creases especially when the exercise is long, monotonous, and wet!
Actually, my favorite body lubricant is called Body Glide and I really like it because it goes on easy like roll-on deodorant. This keeps my hands less lubricated and ready for action!
I hope this helps.
I really enjoy this thread and appreciate everyone sharing!
Movement is awesome to me!

His_Highness

You're all my peeps...for sure...

@VapeEscapist - When I mentioned band-aids I was really talking about cutting the adhesive sections off and using them over the nipple. As you mentioned...it works great. You failed to mention the joy of pulling them suckers off though :o

@Hawaii Johnny - For years Body Glide was my go to for things like feet/toes issues. Then someone gave me Gold Bond Friction Defense as a stocking stuffer and it became my favorite. I think Gold Bond is cheaper as well. Unfortunately neither product can withstand the nip friction for some reason. Maybe its because the nip chafing is caused by a thoroughly wet cloth rubbing back and forth till I feel the need to yell FIRE! The cloth and moisture is probably washing/rubbing it off.

@kel - I'll have to check out Merino. I've got all manor of socks that call themselves "moisture wicking" but once I get to my steady sweating point it's like my legs have a faucet on them. During the hotter season I fold paper towels and wrap them under the tops of the socks to stop the sweat from pouring past my ankles. Thanks for the reminder...forgot about Tiger Balm.

Geez! Its starting to sound like a miracle that I'm not carried downstream by my own sweat.....

kel

FuckMisogynists!
You're all my peeps...for sure...

@kel - I'll have to check out Merino. I've got all manor of socks that call themselves "moisture wicking" but once I get to my steady sweating point it's like my legs have a faucet on them. During the hotter season I fold paper towels and wrap them under the tops of the socks to stop the sweat from pouring past my ankles. Thanks for the reminder...forgot about Tiger Balm.

Geez! Its starting to sound like a miracle that I'm not carried downstream by my own sweat.....

Hehe, I wear a merino hoody too!

Seriously it is incredible stuff, I sometimes go out in the rain in just that (and shorts and shoes too silly!), even if it is stormy, even when it is sopping wet, no chaffing! and I still feel warm and comfortable.

The one downside to it is that it is expensive, especially if you source clothing made from non-muelsed sheep.

Absolutely worth it though, it's tough wearing and long lasting.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I think this is possibly more of an issue for cycling.
Yup, definitely. The wind chill is probably more than double on a bike, plus I'm only moving my lower half.

I have a real Irish Cord sweater my father brought home from Ireland and a dressy wool sweater thing my step mom gave me. But they are way too nice to ride in. Otherwise it's microfiber layers for the most part.

Another trick for cyclists is to wear the layer rather baggy but sealed and use the Native Arctic peoples method of warm air layer between you and the surface layers. I use my rain gear this way when it's very cold.

I'll have to check out Merino.
It's truly incredible. Like near 80% heat retention when wet?

Wool has been the go to protection for millennia, and for good reason.

Sorry, bud. I'm guilty of skimming the last paragraph there and not reading you posted about band-aids. Should try not to do that.... https://www.mannapro.com/cattle-swine-other/supplements/udder-butter < lol, could try this? My sister is a pediatric nurse/former la leche league leader, pretty sure she recommends this for nipple recovery.

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Completely different day today, beautiful sunshine 15°C warm feeling, ground still wet but most of the little streams gone again!

I am running but got a nagging discomfort in my right hip, all part of the ass problems noted earlier. It's meant to be 20°C here tomorrow so thinking of having a day off and a cold bath to see if I can shake it.

I had some time to think about merino last night, I think you are going to be so shocked and wonder why you never had it before @His_Highness

The wicking properties are unsurpassed, even when wet it still feels dry, well certainly drier than literally anything else I have ever tried anyway - it's just comfortable! I think for this reason alone you are going to love it!

Insulation, well yes, but think cool in summer and warm in winter, it really is the perfect all year round material as it seems to help regulate temperature, not just keep you warm. I think the word 'wool' can be really misleading as we tend to associate wool with warmth, but it also works to cool as well.

Smell... we all have bacteria and other stuff in our microbiome, when it gets out of control this is what makes our clothes smell, but not with Merino, the structure is such that bacteria simply can not live in/on it. Weird huh.

vapirtoo

Hey Kel
I really stress nose breathing when I'm at rest.
I never breath through my mouth unless I'm sick,
or at maximum exertion.
Try to habituate yourself to nasal and abdominal
breathing.
Old coaching developmental:
Unconscious incompetence leads to conscious incompetence leads to conscious competence
and finally unconscious competence. WHEW
When you are exercising, you should breathe any and all the ways you can. IMHO

Top Bottom