Athlete Vaporists?

GetLeft

Anyway, I do get into a state where I feel oxygen deprived powering up steep hills

Caution: Riding up long steep hills may lead to oxygen deprivation. Hypoxia: elite endurance athletes' daily bread. We might as well enjoy a little of it too from time to time, no?

Cyclists who race breath through any passage they can find to get oxygen to their lungs, including their eyelids (Bull Durham reference :)). Definitely lots of mouth breathing going on in cycling. And lots of expelling mucus from nose and mouth. That stuff gets in the way and has to be expelled by any means necessary. If you don't let any out of the mouth it would make sense that you're gonna get more through the nose. Btw don't ever shake hands with a cyclist who's wearing golves.

i just wondered...

I actually believe that I control my breathing better (less cramps) when I vape before a ride (which is always). Probably has more to do with being in a good mental place and feeling my body better when buzzed than it does with affects on the lung from vapor. Or who knows? Maybe the vaping opens something up in my lungs that make me better able to oxygenate. Either way, I'm able to manage my oxygen better on rides when I vape before hand.

Great thread y'all!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
For me the whole point is to reach that state so I get used to it and a little bit more resilient each time... and hell yes, I enjoy it! Haha :D

I just had an epiphany about how good this thread is, :love:

... imagine having this conversation on a runners forum... can you imagine!!?? I can't!! edit: < don't mean to be mean, maybe that's changing now?

==

I noticed a massive difference in my ability to 'use oxygen' after going to high altitude for a bit, when you come back down the oxygen high is fucking mental! You feel like superman! That extreme feeling subsides of course, but there's a permanent change - I think so anyway!

And another doh moment; I just remembered part of the training for the last high altitude climb I did was minimal breathing to get used to operating at low oxygen levels. I never thought about using the same techniques for low altitude gains - but now it's obvious!! How could I not see this... looking forward to reading the book, Cheers :tup:

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

I just seem to instantly start with a runny nose whenever I run, period. I usually have to clear it maybe one of twice a mile in the manner His_Highness so eloquently described :)

The reason I only need to clear that much is because breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth seems to keep it in place enough, breathing out through my nose just turned it into a near constant stream running from my nose onto my upper lip. Every time I breathed out, a little bit more.

Good to know this is something that it does settle somewhat...

I don't have any allergies. At least none I am aware of.

Saline rinse is a good idea... I might give it a try, I will need a neti pot I guess.

The towel is a good idea, but again, I am not sure I am explaining just how much there was hehehehe

Oh... I might have it, it was like instead of sweating normally 80% of my sweat decided to leave via my nose 😂

I can imagine getting 1/4 of the way around my run and just having a heavy cloth full of snot to carry.... eeeeeewwwww!

No idea re. air pressure.

Thank you for your thoughts - I did notice enough of a difference to keep trying it!!

p.s. keeping your mouth closed is necessary when running/breathing this way, just to not be constantly eating snot!
This is the spray that I use, and I like it a lot. Given how little you have to use, it's pretty cheap, per day, and easier than a Netti Pot, which didn't work for me, when my nasal passages were swollen shut. The water wouldn't run through. Within 2-3 minutes after rinsing and blowing my nose, using this spray, I can usually breathe pretty clearly.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Oh, interesting, thanks @EverythingsHazy

My nose is clear most of the time, I am not usually congested. It's just when I start running hehe so weird I know!

@Vape_ninja I do hope you have some peace of mind, but ultimately ingesting anything this way has it's risks, like anything. Everyone is different. and as for crashing your bike - yikes!! Don't do that!!! I think most of us here are not 'getting stoned', we're micro-dosing for a little lift, or relaxation. I don't mean to speak for anyone, I am sure others will speak up, but that's there impression I have got anyway. Be careful out there, you really should have your wits about you especially if you are riding in traffic :tup:

Vape_ninja

Oh, interesting, thanks @EverythingsHazy

My nose is clear most of the time, I am not usually congested. It's just when I start running hehe so weird I know!

@Vape_ninja I do hope you have some peace of mind, but ultimately ingesting anything this way has it's risks, like anything. Everyone is different. and as for crashing your bike - yikes!! Don't do that!!! I think most of us here are not 'getting stoned', we're micro-dosing for a little lift, or relaxation. I don't mean to speak for anyone, I am sure others will speak up, but that's there impression I have got anyway. Be careful out there, you really should have your wits about you especially if you are riding in traffic :tup:
This was off road i wouldnt ingest THC when near roads , maybe i should use CBD like you do
ye it was all going great actually microdosing but that was the 1st time i think where id not ate much that day either so lol
Live and Learn!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I am very glad to hear it!

CBD changed everything for me, all the bits I like without any of the downsides, there's still loads of different strains with different effects, some energising and creative, others relaxing and soporific.

I generally believe the THC strains are just too strong these days, someone mentioned 1 part thc bud to 6 parts cbd - that makes loads of sense to me - that's gonna be like old school weed, super relaxing with just a little bit of an edge! nice!

==

My legs are a little achy today, more so than they would be after that particular run I did yesterday. I also seem to have a slightly sore throat. I have been making sure I am breathing through my nose the entire time since I started, not sure how I am doing during sleep, but in waking hours... I am wondering if it is triggering a detox reaction, that's what it feels like to me right now.

edit: I forgot every time to include my BOLT score, this has gone from 13 when I first checked into this, to 16 yesterday evening and 20 just now, this is quite a significant change in a very short space of time. Is this to be expected? Just checked again and got 20 seconds again.

Last edited:

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
A couple things:

I've had allergies my whole life, of varying severity depending on season, environment, and as I have only learned in the last few years - my diet.

Usually when I run, it is a combination of nose and mouth breathing - esp. if I start getting too winded or start getting a cramp, it is in nose out mouth. Some times, if my sinuses are already stuffed, it's all mouth breathing. Most of the time, I find my sinuses start to clear out during a run, in that I start to breath more freely as the run progresses.

However, occasionally I do get some snot as well, but more interestingly, the odd time this happens: a couple of minutes after my run, I'll start sneezing and filling up, blowing my nose, sneezing again, just continuously cycling through that, sometimes for the rest of the day.

This is an actual thing - after it happen a number of times over a period of a couple years, I finally started searching and found that Exercise-induced Rhinitis is a thing (hahaha - "I'm allergic to exercise I swear...look it up!"). For some it is similar to Exercise-induced Asthma, in that it may only happen after a particularly strenuous workout, even if you don't otherwise have allergies (or asthma).

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
This is the spray that I use, and I like it a lot. Given how little you have to use, it's pretty cheap, per day, and easier than a Netti Pot, which didn't work for me, when my nasal passages were swollen shut. The water wouldn't run through. Within 2-3 minutes after rinsing and blowing my nose, using this spray, I can usually breathe pretty clearly.

That's usually been my experience with the netti Pot as well, that nothing gets through, then afterwards I feel full of salt water, that throughout the rest of the day, slowly (and annoyingly) drips out.

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
I am very glad to hear it!

CBD changed everything for me, all the bits I like without any of the downsides, there's still loads of different strains with different effects, some energising and creative, others relaxing and soporific.

I generally believe the THC strains are just too strong these days, someone mentioned 1 part thc bud to 6 parts cbd - that makes loads of sense to me - that's gonna be like old school weed, super relaxing with just a little bit of an edge! nice!

Sorry for the multi-post, I don't know how to add a quote when simply 'editing' a post

This is generally me as well - CBD has been a life-saver. I usually like to have a ratio of much higher CBD to THC in my system as well, with usually somewhere between 3:1 and 6:1 being the most effective.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Oh yeah, finger on nostril exhale was great for the
assholes trying to pass me, YUMMM
Snot rocket!

I'm always wary of this if I'm drafting someone.
I think most of us here are not 'getting stoned', we're micro-dosing for a little lift, or relaxation.
Speak for yourself lol!

I dab at least 10 clouds before most rides and I dose strong edibles before any ride 30+ miles.

I do tend to function better than average on cannabis due to massive tolerance.

My dabs mostly have CBD, CBG, CBDV, and CBN, added to them as well. I don't measure how much I put in typically, though in the past I have premixed cannabinoids with BHO controlling the ratio.

Btw don't ever shake hands with a cyclist who's wearing golves.
Yup, fist bumps mostly. First time I tried to shake a hand of a fellow cyclists wearing my gloves and they switched to fist bump, I realized why.

Typically on longer rides I sweat through my gloves as well, not pleasant for handshakes either.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Speak for yourself lol!

I dab at least 10 clouds before most rides and I dose strong edibles before any ride 30+ miles.

I do tend to function better than average on cannabis due to massive tolerance.

My dabs mostly have CBD, CBG, CBDV, and CBN, added to them as well. I don't measure how much I put in typically, though in the past I have premixed cannabinoids with BHO controlling the ratio.

Hehe, wow!! And my apologies, that was just an impression I got, I stand corrected 😂

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
how many years have you consistently consume cannabis products for?
Over 30 years of mostly heavy use. And I believe adding cannabinoids in the last year+ has improved it's effects for me.

I absolutely abuse cannabis and tell everyone NOT to use cannabis to the extreme that I do.

My lifestyle and tolerance make me uniquely suited to being high most of the time.

As far as cycling, in NYC, high on any drug.... please do not follow my example. I am a skilled pilot and rider and the traffic algorithms of this city are in my DNA. I have always been a talented racer and have very fast reflexes and have grown eyes in the back of my head. If you don't have these qualities, please don't ride in dense urban conditions high. 🙏

vapirtoo

What a trove of personal stoned athletes info!
Exercise induced Rhinitis for the remainder of the day! Whew!

The herb is now too strong and needs to be mixed with CBD!
HaHa, after a lifetime of trying to find that super weed, we now
have it and cannot deal with it. Sort of like reaching your goal
and looking around and thinking, "now what".

I've been swallowing about a gram of whatever I vaped the
night before and going for a twenty mile ride. The ABV hits
really hard in about 15min. By that time I'm out of traffic and on
paved bike paths.
I still enjoy getting super ripped and riding my MTB around this
huge park right by my house. I use the grass as a super hard
work out with no obstacles. (flat pedals)
VapeEscapist
I could hang with you, kind of a great adventure thing,
but I probably would not enjoy the drama.
Reminds me of white water Kayaking-
Yeah I could run the class 4 rapid, but there
is a class 1 sneak route.
Thanks for pointing out the dangers of riding whilst high!

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
VapeEscapist
I could hang with you, kind of a great adventure thing,
but I probably would not enjoy the drama.
I definitely think you could. The drama is decidedly the worst part....

I live on the forehead of the fish that is Long Island and you live on the upper lip (I believe), relatively far apart (about 1.5 hours by bike), and inconvenient.

You're welcome to join me anytime I'm passing through though! Are you familiar with a route to the Marine Park bridge from where you are?

When I do my 50 mile loop you could meet me somewhere in South BK and follow me over the Marine Park bridge to the Rockaways/Riis Park, and then turn around before the Crossbay bridge takes me to Woodhaven and beyond... You could even do the stretch over the Crossbay leading to Howard Beach and turn around where the bike lane ends at the end of the Jamaica Bay Preserve. It's the most flat out section where there's few lights and obstructions and your speed is almost only limited to how hard you ride. A rare thing in NYC.

That would avoid most of the drama and be a lot of bike lane and isolated paths. I do hate that strip along the marina though, leading to the Rollin' Roaster; no shoulder, aggressive drivers, awkwardly parked vehicles. I try to get through there ASAP.

VapeEscapist,
  • Love
Reactions: kel

vapirtoo

Wow those are my rides around Shirley Chisholm park and Jamaica bay exactly!
OK I have to stop bullshitting and get off the pot!
Lets PM each other and hang out!
Flatbush and the belt pkwy.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I can't wait to hear how this turns out... hope you guys can make this adventure work somehow :tup:

I had a rest day today, had to do some fairly physical things anyway and I had a couple of little twinges... also tomorrow I have a ten mile walk planned.

I have been continuing with the nose breathing, at the moment I am completely clear, earlier outside I had another 'detox' experience, but much milder and it feels like the back of my nose/throat is very quickly becoming accustomed to being my main airway and it already feels less sensitive. The very mild soreness has completely gone.

It sounds a bit silly, maybe it's not, but it's like my body is trying to work out the correct level of moisture to maintain there. I mean our bodies must do this right? It just feels odd that it is happening so very quickly.

I have caught myself breathing through my mouth a few times and kept correcting myself with no detrimental effects at all.

I am curious to see how I do on the walk tomorrow.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Cardio makes everything better/easier.

"From cleaning the house to sex." - Is my usual quote. Before I had cardio, my libido would outlast my fitness. With the combination of cardio and cannabis, I'm a very healthy 40+ year old.

I was recently accused of using performance enhancing drugs in the bedroom. :shrug: :lol:

"Ma'am, it's just cardio, cannabis, and maybe that bit of warm blooded French mediterranean genetics I got." :love:

EverythingsHazy

My legs are a little achy today, more so than they would be after that particular run I did yesterday. I also seem to have a slightly sore throat. I have been making sure I am breathing through my nose the entire time since I started, not sure how I am doing during sleep, but in waking hours... I am wondering if it is triggering a detox reaction, that's what it feels like to me right now.

edit: I forgot every time to include my BOLT score, this has gone from 13 when I first checked into this, to 16 yesterday evening and 20 just now, this is quite a significant change in a very short space of time. Is this to be expected? Just checked again and got 20 seconds again.
I'm not 100% sure about the speed of a BOLT score improvement, but according to Patrick McKeown, we can reset our blood CO2 monitoring receptors, with two 5 minute sessions of maintaining a slight air hunger (breathing slightly less than the amount your body is demanding). This is supposed to get the receptors adapted to not triggering the urge to breathe until your blood CO2 levels are a bit higher than the pre-air hunger session threshold.

This kind of reset can affect the BOLT score, for sure, because it's not the need for oxygen that causes us to feel the urge to breathe, but rather the level of CO2 in our blood. If our bodies get used to higher CO2 levels, we feel the urge to breathe less quickly after our last breath.

I can't wait to hear how this turns out... hope you guys can make this adventure work somehow :tup:

I had a rest day today, had to do some fairly physical things anyway and I had a couple of little twinges... also tomorrow I have a ten mile walk planned.

I have been continuing with the nose breathing, at the moment I am completely clear, earlier outside I had another 'detox' experience, but much milder and it feels like the back of my nose/throat is very quickly becoming accustomed to being my main airway and it already feels less sensitive. The very mild soreness has completely gone.

It sounds a bit silly, maybe it's not, but it's like my body is trying to work out the correct level of moisture to maintain there. I mean our bodies must do this right? It just feels odd that it is happening so very quickly.

I have caught myself breathing through my mouth a few times and kept correcting myself with no detrimental effects at all.

I am curious to see how I do on the walk tomorrow.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear that you're already making some physical progress with the nasal breathing!

These are some of the benefits of nasal breathing, aside form possible reduction of asthma symptoms:
1. Increased ability to utilize inhaled oxygen via the Bohr effect (we need CO2 in order for our tissues to use the Oxygen in our blood)
2. Increased Nitric Oxide, which is a vasodilator and antimicrobial agent produced in our sinuses. This helps with circulation and supposedly helps with killing microbes in the air.
3.Less front tooth protrusion (your lips should be closed, so that they are constantly exerting mild pressure on your teeth, opposite to the force exerted on them by your tongue.
4.Less tooth damage, due to pH and dry mouth.
5. Slower breath rate and lower breath volume, which should help reduce anxiety and resulting tension.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I try to make sure I ride every 3 days at least. If I go a whole week without a ride I get grumpier and sluggish... I tell people they should just plop me in the saddle and push me out the door at that point.

Just a short lunch time ride.

Just outside Carl Schurtz park on the East River Esplanade looking towards my return route on the Triboro.

Looking back towards where the first pic was taken from on the Triboro.

I was thinking about going through some photos and creating a spread that shows the evolution of the current skyline over 11 years.

CANtalk

Nice @VapeEscapist :tup:. Who else is getting out there?

I'm still making it out on the MTB at the end of the season here with some regularity... recently did another two rides in two consecutive days totaling near 60 miles, which was great. It was over lots of challenging and interesting single track ❤️ as well. The ~40 mile MTB ride really got me out there and I saw some awesome fall colors. I had so much energy for 60% of that trip, fun fun... then I hit the wall, hard. Still fun :). I need to take more food.... only had some raisins for that entire trip :razz:.

I've really enjoyed challenging myself to continuously increase my fitness this season with the MTB (~ last 5 months). And it's been great... I've come so far fitness-wise. One particularly rewarding feeling :luv: I've gotten on some of my rides in the last month or two comes from having excellent power and endurance in some hardcore trail sections. Places where climbs would previously have me surviving it methodically and more slowly, now at times have me surging the bike through them with strength ✨✨. I feel the surging too... it comes from a combination of things including being fit enough to ride 3-4 gears up from what I used to do early in the year, as well from putting the hammer down (big power) in certain trail sections (climbing aggressive terrain). That higher gearing and strength combines to make the bike literally surge/leap forward when doing do a hard pedal stroke or three... and it's such an awesome feeling when it happens. It's almost like I have to brace my head from swinging back when I feel it. And it makes that part of the climb feels like child's play... as if I could easily bring the front wheel up at the same time. These things and experiences really resonate with me :love:. And there aren't many places or people I can share this with who can relate or understand 👍.

Here's a picture from my recent long MTB trip. Lots of fall colors. Enjoy.
tr5.jpg

Still recovering from that long trip...

TGIF and have a great weekend everyone

:peace: :leaf:
[Edit] - :science: & fixed some language

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

I actually believe that I control my breathing better (less cramps) when I vape before a ride (which is always). Probably has more to do with being in a good mental place and feeling my body better when buzzed than it does with affects on the lung from vapor. Or who knows? Maybe the vaping opens something up in my lungs that make me better able to oxygenate. Either way, I'm able to manage my oxygen better on rides when I vape before hand.

Great thread y'all!
Cannabis vapor has expectorant and bronchodilator properties, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Top Bottom