Athlete Vaporists?

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I did 3 hours, so probably at least 35-40 miles total. Went to Central Park via Randalls and back. Just a big ol' loop incorporating uptown Manhattan and Central Park.

I haven't cared to track my rides in years, but google does it now anyway, don't you google. Speaking of tracking, there's a couple NYPD cameras that I always give the peace sign to when I climb the Triboro and 103rd St bridges. I started doing this in December 2019 and do it every time I pass those cameras. Assuming all CCTV is saved forever, they will eventually have a long record of me flashing peace signs. That would be a montage I would love to see but sadly likely never will...

Returning on the Triboro for the final stretch to the foot of the bridge, you are riding right next to all the oncoming traffic with only a low concrete wall between you and them, and you can clearly see all the motorists and they you. So also since December 2019 I will do a peace sign at all the cars and trucks as I pass them to see how many people give one back or honk or flash lights.... Almost every time I've gotten a peace sign back, or a truck honking, etc. When there is traffic I get a lot of responses for obvious reasons. Thankfully I haven't been pelted with anything for it yet?

Gorgeous conditions. Some of the best NYC cycling weather is upon us. Looking to do 50 miles Tuesday.

🚲

kel

FuckMisogynists!
The last few days have been a bit of a mix, long walk on Friday, left me feeling quite tired on Saturday, but I went fruit picking in the hedgerows up the valley. Today I have just been for the second run trying the nose breathing, a more difficult route this time but still quite short because my ass is still not right it would seem. This is annoying because I am enjoying the nasal breathing, it is helping; I generally breathed in through my nose and out through my mouth before, resorting to mouth when I felt I needed more oxygen, but this is generally keeping me more oxygenated it would seem. Also, there was considerably less snot this time, it was still a bit runny, but almost nothing compared to the first time. My mouth seems to remain feeling 'wet' and the back of my nasal passage seems to be drying out and getting used to it very quickly.

I mean, I am not doing anything remotely scientific, this is just feeling and experience, but generally I think I am going to stick with it.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Been a good week of getting back at it. Been alternating an easy 5k run and strength training as planned. Today I've got some strenuous honey-do's to deal with. Strenuous enough to easily qualify as strength training so I'm going to treat myself to a MTB ride instead of running.

I'll be riding throughout the residential community I live in. The community encompasses approximately 4,120 acres that includes over 100 lakes, 1,200 acres of nature preserve, and seven miles of community developed bike and jogging trails. Kinda looks like a Disney park. The area is surrounded by conservation land/forests/lakes/ponds that can't be developed (but probably will be at some point). Some of the wooded areas have had MTB trails added by community management and others were created naturally and minimally enhanced by people who live here. Hasn't rained hard for a few days so the trails will be nice and dry. Great way to get back to it without over doing it. Riding along the sidewalk and feeling strong....turn off onto a trail. Trail wearing you down...back to the sidewalks. There are more serious trails around here but I think I'll work on my physicality before hitting them since I normally go alone.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
That's awesome, good work 😃

I forgot to say that I try to have a 'peak' in my runs where I ease off a bit after warming up for a period of active recovery before a nice technical section then, if I can, really go for it!

Today's peak started a little early, there were a couple of people hanging around right at the point where I would normally ease off and I just thought fuck it - I'm not going to slow down! Instead I doubled down to push through to the beginning of the technical section, a few meters I usually walk because it is just a treacherous random pile of rocks, and I bounced over it like it was nothing 😲

I didn't complete the technical section, I ran out of steam and had to really ease off and walk a few steps, but the first bit was the best I have ever done it and it felt really good, I hope I can repeat it.

If this nasal breathing thing is going to give me that kind of energy that far out on a run, I will be very happy :tup:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
@His_Highness - I appreciate the diversity in your workouts/recreation. A lot of people gravitating to the Strength and Conditioning regiments, like my brother. I'm really happy to have a resting heart rate of 50 but I need to balance my fitness.

I'm a big baby and really need my athletic pursuits to be entertaining or utilitarian to stick with them. Swimming and cycling have that component for me. Muay Thai has the utilitarian component.

I am starting to wonder how swole I would get if I started to lift or do S&C training. Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!! 💪

TooSwoleToControl

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I have an acquaintance / friend that I call Beefcake Jake!

He doesn't work out, the work he does is very demanding and he is just phenomenally strong, I have worked with him and something I would carry two of, he will pick four up like it's nothing!

His_Highness

@His_Highness - I appreciate the diversity in your workouts/recreation. A lot of people gravitating to the Strength and Conditioning regiments, like my brother. I'm really happy to have a resting heart rate of 50 but I need to balance my fitness.

I'm a big baby and really need my athletic pursuits to be entertaining or utilitarian to stick with them. Swimming and cycling have that component for me. Muay Thai has the utilitarian component.

I am starting to wonder how swole I would get if I started to lift or do S&C training. Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!! 💪

TooSwoleToControl
I don't have any personal records to chase so I try to keep exercise to an enjoyable and mostly stress fee level. I think being in my 60's is making more decisions for me than anything else. Before finding the martial arts I used to be all about weight training and trying to bulk up. Then the martial arts covered the majority of aerobic and anaerobic requirements and I eventually gave up the weights and started using my own body for strength training (Pull ups, push-ups, core work). Didn't need to worry about flexibility because I was younger and the martial arts includes a bunch of stretching/flexibility. Now that I'm older and no longer train in the martial arts I prioritize the aerobic side and have adapted the strength training to be even more about using my own body. I try and use my honey-do's when I can. Climb a tree to cut the limbs off my house, get my heart rate into the 80% zone by "rushing" to get the lawn work done. Now that I'm older I'm more about being able to climb that tree than looking like I can.

I told the wife that when I finish my chores today I'm going for a MTB ride. She said that sounds like a good idea and that I should put air in the bicycle built for two and then we could both go. Wife can't ride a bike by herself. I'd prefer not to use that two seater....hurts my ass something fierce. Happy wife, happy life.....

EDIT: Thanks again to FC and the wonderful folks who frequent it.....got me AND my wife off our asses starting last week after allowing ourselves to slack far too long.....

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Yo, Yo
VapeEscapist
that is you and me this tues.
50 miles plus!???? HaHa
I'll stay in your draft as long as possible.
No worries
50 miles for me, probably a bunch less for you.

I have to ride nearly 20 miles just to get to you! 😅

No worries pace wise. We'll do what's comfortable.👍

Edit: Rain looking more and more likely for Tuesday. May be wise to push back to Wednesday.

Last edited:

CANtalk

Beautiful day again and I made it out this morning on the MTB 🚵‍♂️. Thought I was going to get out for 10 miles and ended up doing ~20... things were awesome and I just kept going :clap:. I took the local cardio killer hardcore trail again and what is usually a ride that includes one bike walk and 3-4 rest breaks, this time was the same one bike walk, but zero breaks. First time eva, and the closest I've been to riding that trail non-stop over the last 20 years or so 🎆 ✨. It's a big achievement for me :luv:... and I'm knocking on non-stop. I initially didn't feel like I had big power on the two hardcore trails today but rode them back to back without stopping and I just felt better as I kept going. Was very strong on the other trails over the last half of the ride, and finished in just under two hours, another new benchmark. It was all much fun and time flew by.

Vaped some Trainwreck strong sativa after & it's a great day here! Buzzed on that, the ride and an energy drink. Highly recommended.

Hope you're all well. Have a great Sunday

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

CANtalk

Got out today in continued excellent local fall weather for some more exercise. It was a nice ~17 mile MTB ride over a good mix of trails 🚵‍♂️. And I'm over 100 miles on the MTB in the last week. Cheers and hope you're all enjoying the fall.

What is everyone else doing?

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Got out today in continued excellent local fall weather for some more exercise. It was a nice ~17 mile MTB ride over a good mix of trails 🚵‍♂️. And I'm over 100 miles on the MTB in the last week. Cheers and hope you're all enjoying the fall.

What is everyone else doing?

More night miles around Randalls. Only 1.5 hours. So convenient and relatively safe for me. I used to train here a lot when I was first starting out.

In a perfect world, this green charging station would dispense sandwiches for cyclists. 🥪

kel

FuckMisogynists!
It's stupid o'clock but earlier I went for a run again, just as it was going dark, while it was beautiful, it wasn't a great idea for an effective run, things got tricky as the light started to fade, I also had a sense of urgency to try and beat the light!

I really should have taken a torch, but this would have spoiled what was beautiful about it... has anyone invented a torch that just lights the ground in front of you without spoiling your peripheral and night vision?

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
It's stupid o'clock but earlier I went for a run again, just as it was going dark, while it was beautiful, it wasn't a great idea for an effective run, things got tricky as the light started to fade, I also had a sense of urgency to try and beat the light!

I really should have taken a torch, but this would have spoiled what was beautiful about it... has anyone invented a torch that just lights the ground in front of you without spoiling your peripheral and night vision?
Magic hour, good for photos, tricky for sport.

I found myself in the middle of a "manhattanhenge" event one morning commuting to midtown.

Completely unaware, I was awestruck when everything turned gold!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattanhenge

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Oh yes!!! I love running at that time :love:

Alas, it was even later than that, I was struggling to see the ground between the limited light and my watering eyes - it was really windy and the temperature was dropping! I am starting to know these places well enough I am confident even in the semi-dark!

What are the chances I could run this on a dark moonless night one day? 😲

EverythingsHazy

Red light won't ruin your night vision.
"Rods don't work on their own; they are inert. Their type of nerve cell need a chemical to enable their function. The body does not produce this chemical in daytime. It takes a very low light level sensed by the eyes to produce this chemical called rhodopsin, or visual purple. When the light is detected at a low level for 20 minutes or so, the body starts producing rhodopsin and night vision starts setting in.

The other contributor to night vision is the pupil opening, but that goes to maximum within a few minutes of dark exposure.

The big player in night vision is rhodopsin, and that takes from 20 to 40 minutes for humans to start benefiting from it. A key trait of this feature is that rhodopsin is photoreactive. It only takes a few seconds of bright light to cause the rhodopsin to decay into two parts with a photosensitive reaction, and the rods stop working. Then the cycle starts again.

It is an interesting trait that deep red lights do not trigger the neutralization of the rhodopsin, so astronomers and safety officials use red lights for night lighting to allow night vision to continue. Since, unless the light is monochromatic like a laser, even red light has elements from other colors, even a bright red light can reduce the rhodopsin so a dim red light is best for maximizing after-dark eye behavior."

EverythingsHazy,
  • Love
Reactions: kel

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Me too!!

It's a total fantasy, I am never going to do this... but it does remind me of a period in time where I swam every day in the sea, I had found a place that was perfect for jumping from, studied the rock formations until they were engrained in my brain, then at high tide - take a leap!

On the beautiful sunny days this was absolutely glorious, crystal blue water, gentle waves and a clear view to the bottom but being erm, dedicated... I did it on the stormy days too, one or two of them were so dark and brooding that they turned the water a dark inky black colour, waves crashing, zero visibility

// that took everything I had to overcome the visceral fear that was internally screaming "nooooooooooooooo!"

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Me too!!

It's a total fantasy, I am never going to do this... but it does remind me of a period in time where I swam every day in the sea, I had found a place that was perfect for jumping from, studied the rock formations until they were engrained in my brain, then at high tide - take a leap!

On the beautiful sunny days this was absolutely glorious, crystal blue water, gentle waves and a clear view to the bottom but being erm, dedicated... I did it on the stormy days too, one or two of them were so dark and brooding that they turned the water a dark inky black colour, waves crashing, zero visibility

// that took everything I had to overcome the visceral fear that was internally screaming "nooooooooooooooo!"
My family had a beach house for 30 years.

I used to boogie board a fair amount and am a pretty strong swimmer.

I used to boogie board in calm sea's on LSD. :love:There were times I went boogie boarding in hurricanes after doing massive bonghits. :rockon:

One day the fog was so thick that once you got out to where the waves were breaking you could no longer see the shore and the direction of the waves is the only way to know where the beach was! No lifeguard, no buddy, no brains! :doh:

His_Highness

I run primarily at night so I have 2 light related approaches. 1 for being seen and 1 for seeing. I wear a blinking light on the backside of my arm band facing backwards (Cheap clip light that can be found for under a dollar) and if I wear a hat I have another light attached to the back of the hat (Another cheap clip light). These are for being seen from the back.

My armband is for keeping my cell phone handy for music and emergencies but it also is used to place finger lights in it so the lights can shine downward and slightly in front of my feet. I place about 5 to 10 of those lights in the pocket of the see-thru armband on top of the cell phone so they shine outward and downward through the clear front of the pocket. The lights are aimed a foot or 2 just in front of my feet. This allows me to see what is going on just in front of my feet and also allows people to see me coming. Finger lights are those cheap lights that are used at raves and can be found for like $10 dollars for 50 to a 100 lights on Amazon.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I run primarily at night so I have 2 light related approaches. 1 for being seen and 1 for seeing. I wear a blinking light on the backside of my arm band facing backwards (Cheap clip light that can be found for under a dollar) and if I wear a hat I have another light attached to the back of the hat (Another cheap clip light). These are for being seen from the back.

My armband is for keeping my cell phone handy for music and emergencies but it also is used to place finger lights in it so the lights can shine downward and slightly in front of my feet. I place about 5 to 10 of those lights in the pocket of the see-thru armband on top of the cell phone so they shine outward and downward through the clear front of the pocket. The lights are aimed a foot or 2 just in front of my feet. This allows me to see what is going on just in front of my feet and also allows people to see me coming. Finger lights are those cheap lights that are used at raves and can be found for like $10 dollars for 50 to a 100 lights on Amazon.
Yup, there's lights to see and to be seen.

I have used finger lights before but don't currently. For cyclists the oft neglected side visibility is really very important.

I use lights that screw into my tire valves and light up with centripetal force.

I also do something that I don't believe I've seen any other rider do.... I always have a rain cover over my backpack and realized some years ago that placing a strong blinkie on my backpack with the rain cover over it creates a firefly/lightning bug effect that makes my whole back a bulb.

CANtalk

Today was the last really warm day in the current local forecast, so I got out on the MTB again for ~10 miles 🚵‍♂️. Beautiful fall weather & colors, very enjoyable 👍. It was my fourth day in a row on the MTB and I hit the big cardio killer trail for the third day in a row. Rode it in the other direction this time... and the trail most definitely lived up to its description this time. Will sleep well tonight!

Enjoy getting out and exercising everyone!

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Huh... well who would have thought it, a short ~3 mile run - not one single mouth breath, nope... not even going up the hills!

Snot - yes, but no where near as much as that first day and quite tolerable, anticipating that this will continue to improve and possibly end up not being a problem.

I did have about 4 little internal 'bursts' where I either tripped or miscalculated (these mishaps are entirely normal) and landed a little heavy and that would have been where I would normally had 'the wind knocked out of me' in the mildest possible manner, but I contained it. I should have probably let that breath out through my mouth, but I was really concentrating on keeping my mouth shut haha. 😁

So far, really impressed... the book hasn't turned up yet, was expecting it on Saturday 🙄

vapirtoo

Finally met up with VapeEscapist and we had a really great ride!
First he gave me a cookie, then we took off with me in the draft.
At first I thought that I was riding behind the Hulk; his calf muscles
swelled and he takes this jump and..... I felt like Wily Coyote. LOL
We hung together for 20 plus miles, with great conversation.
( Did he push the pace to shut me up, nah).
Great day, weather, company and edibles!
Looking forward to our next session!

Top Bottom