Arizer Solo

mlo4sho

Damn. My Solo is now doing the "3 light dance" when I put it on the charger. I think I'll have to go back a few pages to see what I can do. Unfortunate. I hadn't used it for a few days, used it once last night and decided to charge it today when I woke up and I discovered this little problem. Bummer.

mlo4sho,

clouded vision

Damn. My Solo is now doing the "3 light dance" when I put it on the charger. I think I'll have to go back a few pages to see what I can do. Unfortunate. I hadn't used it for a few days, used it once last night and decided to charge it today when I woke up and I discovered this little problem. Bummer.
this has been coming up a lot recently and based on responses looks like there was a faulty batch of chargers. first try plugging it in, wait for the light show to start then press both buttons for about 4 seconds ( the constant beep should stop) then wait 10 seconds, unplug it and it should start working fine again. if that doesn't work there are other suggestions and links to replace the charger within the last ten pages

mlo4sho

this has been coming up a lot recently and based on responses looks like there was a faulty batch of chargers. first try plugging it in, wait for the light show to start then press both buttons for about 4 seconds ( the constant beep should stop) then wait 10 seconds, unplug it and it should start working fine again. if that doesn't work there are other suggestions and links to replace the charger within the last ten pages
Good stuff. I did what you suggested and it looks like the Solo is charging and working as intended (fingers crossed). Thanks for the tip & quick response.

clouded vision

Good stuff. I did what you suggested and it looks like the Solo is charging and working as intended (fingers crossed). Thanks for the tip & quick response.
glad. to help, mine does the same thing from time to time, others have had charging problems that this hasn't helped, if that happens to you ( usually identified by the 3 lights blinking instead of solid) try a different charger first because from what I have read here that seems to be the problem. Also your best source for advice for any sort of electrical problem with the solo is OF, who I'm sure will add his 2 cents shortly as well.

OF

Also your best source for advice for any sort of electrical problem with the solo is OF, who I'm sure will add his 2 cents shortly as well.

Not so sure about that best part, but I guess I'm handy?

No need to say much, others have nailed it down. Not doubt a low voltage supply. My tests on mine show over 11 Volts is no issue, just under that is seen as 'too low to charge'. Then again anything over about 8.5 is seen as 'too high to run the heater in PA mode'. Anything between 8.5 and 11 is a light show.

If you didn't fix your supply (meaning replaced), you haven't done anything. It's going to fail again when it wants to. Replacement is the call, either through warranty or Radio Shack. Guys have reported RS carries a one amp 12 VDC supply with interchangeable tips (you want number 2 IIRC). Taking your factory unit in should make that happen for mere money?

Perhaps someone can point to a link?

OF

clouded vision

Not so sure about that best part, but I guess I'm handy?

No need to say much, others have nailed it down. Not doubt a low voltage supply. My tests on mine show over 11 Volts is no issue, just under that is seen as 'too low to charge'. Then again anything over about 8.5 is seen as 'too high to run the heater in PA mode'. Anything between 8.5 and 11 is a light show.

If you didn't fix your supply (meaning replaced), you haven't done anything. It's going to fail again when it wants to. Replacement is the call, either through warranty or Radio Shack. Guys have reported RS carries a one amp 12 VDC supply with interchangeable tips (you want number 2 IIRC). Taking your factory unit in should make that happen for mere money?

Perhaps someone can point to a link?

OF
if you won't accept the title of best then how about best available to us here? I'm just going to keep saying best though. I am the type to " drive it till the wheels fall off then put them back on with duct tape for a few more miles" so until my charger fails catastrophically I will keep using it. having to reset it every few weeks really isn't that bad but I know if / when it fails I will be frantically running to RS to replace it

OF

if you won't accept the title of best then how about best available to us here?

You mean as in 'I'm the slowest of the bunch, everyone else had the good sense to head for higher ground and leave me holding the proverbial bag'? I can live with that.

I understand you're wanting full service out of it. Perhaps this is a good time to try to get a replacement from the maker? Otherwise I suggest making it a habit to charge before the bitter end? That way if it suddenly goes South on you you can still get a session or two in on the last of the charge before giving your money to the nice minimum wage guy at 'the Shack'?

Regards.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Got some new glass for SOLO MEDICATION:
Normally level 4 is enough however level 5 for this set up!
photo2_zps35b724ac.jpg

vman

Damn, serves me right for tearing into my battery pack before checking around to see that it's the charger that's likely the culprit. My recently purchased solo worked for about 4 days before refusing to charge with the light-show. I was convinced that it was the battery, and am now running on a couple of trustfires jury-rigged into an external pack while I await my 3400mah batteries.

Seeing the info here today, I metered my solo's wall-wart and it wavers from 10.x - 12 volts, which seems to indicate that it was the problem all along. Oh well, lesson learned.

A question for those folks that have replaced their batteries: Are you running unprotected cells with or without a 2-cell protection circuit? The stock pack was unprotected cells with a 2-cell protection circuit, that's why I ask. I ordered a protection circuit, but if folks are having good success without one, then I'll skip it.

vman,
Reactions: OF

clouded vision

A question for those folks that have replaced their batteries: Are you running unprotected cells with or without a 2-cell protection circuit? The stock pack was unprotected cells with a 2-cell protection circuit, that's why I ask. I ordered a protection circuit, but if folks are having good success without one, then I'll skip it.
there is an entire thread on a replacement battery project in the vaporizer equipment section where you will find a ton on that exact subject

clouded vision,

barry1309

Just received my Solo and it's GREAT. The model # on the bottom is M1A4909857. Is this model coming after the M106 & 7's? I can see that getting one of Ed's wooden Tote n Toke stems would be ideal for safe portability. The stem is very snug in the SS heating chamber.There does not seem to be a gasket. Your thoughts? Thanks.

barry1309,
Reactions: unpro1

unpro1

Psych
Awesome barry, I'm glad you like it. Your model is current, which is a good thing. Have fun man.

unpro1,

poonman

Just received my Solo and it's GREAT. The model # on the bottom is M1A4909857. Is this model coming after the M106 & 7's? I can see that getting one of Ed's wooden Tote n Toke stems would be ideal for safe portability. The stem is very snug in the SS heating chamber.There does not seem to be a gasket. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Good choice ,
Yes the M1A's is after the M107's, M108's .
The stem will loosen up after it's heated and some usage .
Post a pic of the chamber , about the gasket .
There's one in mine ( M107 ), just below the lip of the heating chamber .

Welcome to FC .

vman

there is an entire thread on a replacement battery project in the vaporizer equipment section where you will find a ton on that exact subject

Thanks, I've read that and I've posted there but it seems to not be getting very many eyeballs. In any case, the 2-cell protection circuit issue doesn't seem to have been definitively resolved.

vman,

GoGreen

Hey, thread moves so fast-but caught up today. Like the idea of O rings, maybe I might get some as my curved stems swivel, so now i use the straight and they dont do this! A nice advantage of the straight stem over the bent. Plus a little easier oil reclaim.

One thing about 50 pages back or something that intrigued me, was this http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005NGKR54/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

Monsoon posted that they bought this - did it work? Has anyone tried anything else similar? would be great to have a power pack to plug it in during downtime to extend the time till it runs out as i can be away from a plug for a while.

If someone had something like it i would like to know
- Does it work? (solo gets funny without a "proper" power source, right?)
- Does it charge so slow its not worth it?
- How long plugged in to get say an extra 12min cycle going from 4-7?

GoGreen,

UnixRasta

Awesome barry, I'm glad you like it. Your model is current, which is a good thing. Have fun man.

I got my Solo a few weeks ago from vapeworld and it is an M1B...
I have no idea what changes have been made between models.

UnixRasta,

OF

Seeing the info here today, I metered my solo's wall-wart and it wavers from 10.x - 12 volts, which seems to indicate that it was the problem all along. Oh well, lesson learned.

I ordered a protection circuit, but if folks are having good success without one, then I'll skip it.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know.

I wouldn't build a replacement pack without protection or a cell level charge controller like DaVinnci uses. Otherwise the strong one will kill the weak.....just like on Walt Disney.

OF

OF,
Reactions: ataxian

vman

I wouldn't build a replacement pack without protection or a cell level charge controller like DaVinnci uses. Otherwise the strong one will kill the weak.....just like on Walt Disney.

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. The solo's amperage draw number(s) wouldn't be floating around here somewhere, would it?

vman,

OF

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. The solo's amperage draw number(s) wouldn't be floating around here somewhere, would it?

Only in my head. And that's more like rattling than floating......

Actually I've posted my readings a time or two in this thread.

Charging current is in the 3/4 to .8 Amp range, depending a bit on input voltage. PA current is something like 2.5 Amps at 8.5 Volts, obviously voltage dependent, so at battery voltage it's going to be about two Amps. Given the 2200 mAh rating on the battery this is roughly one hour of total heater on time which seems about right from that end. I'd say planning on 2C would be plenty safe?

OF

OF,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Many disagree however I had a bad cell in one of my battery packs on my new SOLO.
After I replaced the battery pack with the same rating it is now a work horse and now I have two useful vaporizer for FLOWERS. http://www.batteryjunction.com/tenergy-18650-2200-pk.html
Took a couple of minutes to change out.

ataxian,

OF

Many disagree however I had a bad cell in one of my battery pack on my new SOLO.
After I replaced the battery pack with the same rating it is now a work horse and now I have two useful vaporizer for FLOWERS. http://www.batteryjunction.com/tenergy-18650-2200-pk.html
Took a couple of minutes to change out.

Those are, of course, protected batteries. Exactly the question the OP was getting to. I think we're all 3 on the same page here, a protection PCB belongs in the system somewhere? Either in the battery pack itself as the original and the above replacement, or externally as in the DaVinci. Putting unprotected cells in series is asking for trouble?

So, use the above package, or rebuild the one from the factory with appropriate cells, but a protection circuit should be part of it somewhere?

OF

OF,

vman

Yeah, I've got a some unprotected cells coming, as well as a 2-cell protection circuit. I've also got that same tenergy pack coming as a back-up plan if things go tango-uniform.

OF, thanks for the draw numbers. The protection circuit I've got coming is rated for 3.5A, protection kicks in at 5A, so it should work...

Top Bottom