Arizer Solo

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
charliedontsurf said:
I like my Solo, Tstat. It stinks just a weeee bit, and I still ponder trying to get another replacement based on other people saying new units have no smell... But it's a little power house. Big medicine in a little package, with very little learning curve. It's great for all kinds of concentrates, and is a relatively robust unit overall. The stems harvest goo which is its own bit of fun as well.

If Arizer had gone with a more pure airpath and sorted out all these problems in the beginning, it really would be a world-class design at the price point it's now plummeted to.

Maybe get the Solo as a portable and wait impatiently for the VXC to be the heavy hitter at home.

wow you described it perfectly. i wish i can write this well, normally when i try to explain stuff it would take me forever and in the end i always sound half retarded. lolz

ilovebOObs,

MrNorml

chris said:
Hi everyone,
thanks for your help & advice!
To keep you updated, the shop wrote me back saying he hadn't understood the tube wasn't getting in, and confirms it's not normal and apologized.
(merci la centralevapeur pour l'offre d'aide!)

The upper joint must have retracted itself under the heat as the tubes are now getting in, it's very tight, but you get a bit of air from the 4 holes at the bottom of the SS cup (don't know how you call that), it's quite hard to breath in.
I get proper clouds now and no burning smell by not going above 5. I still feel the high is not as strong and as long as when smoking, I get headaches right after a few hits which I never got when smoking, that's a bummer.
I hope I'm not inhaling stuff coming from the electronics below, as the air is coming from the only hole in the unit which is the power plug at the very bottom, so the air travels all through the machine, would have been better to get air from the top IMO.
Also I'm using more herbs, like twice as much, to be high.

Question: do you just breath in the vapor cloud and stop (like one second or less) or breath long hits (like 3 to 5 sec) ?

I don't understand the conduction/convection thing. On the volcano site, it says conduction is for old models and is proved to be not efficient, the solo is sold as a convection unit, but the vape is created by a metal plate warming up the herbs that touch it, that's conduction, where is the convection ?

EDIT: oh yes and the battery is dead after 5x 12 min ! :(

5 sessions sounds pretty good to me honsetly. I usually just plug mine in between uses.
The Solo is hard for some to get a good draw off. You may be one of those. Some have suggested putting a small > notch into the bottom where the 'cup' or 'bowl' meet the chamber. I sort of lift up on mine. So far, my biggest issue with the Solo is the hard draw. Maybe the headache is associated with the hard inhaling.
As for 'using more' if you can't suck it in, it's dissipated somewhere. Also, many say there is a difference in how the affects come on in smoking vs vaporizing, so you may not realize the effects. I had that with my Extreme Q - it wasn't doing anything, but I then walked sideways. So, figure out how to get the bowl seated so it can get some air in it somehow. I think the 4 very tiny holes in the chamber keep material out of the inside but don't give enough airflow for comfort. This is where the notch thing arizers. You mention air getting in only from the bottom. Not really so. There are tiny holes in the brass chamber. Those get air from essentially underneath the metal top of the unit. If you disassemble or (better) check out some pictures of the thing, you'll see what I mean. Or simply unscrew the top and look. Maybe a little gets into the area the 4 small holes are from the bottom but it's probably miniscule compared to the free-flowing air from the top.
Conduction/convection is misleading - it all works from temperature being raised to a certain point. What does it matter if it is because it is on hot metal or next to the hot metal getting hot air sucked through it? In this vein, the more packed the bowl, seems to me the less convection and the more conduction. Hot herb conducts heat to other herb, since air can't get in anyway.
As for breathing, many take lots of short 'sips' and then take that in a deep inhale, hold depending on comfort and release when you want. I have a theory that many small hits gets more product to the lung but I don't know that.
As for getting clouds, a good session vaporizing doesn't have to mean huge clouds. Sometimes it is barely visible.
So, turn it up to 4-5, place stem/bowl in, and when it gets to your temp, start sipping or taking smaller hits. It isn't a '3-hits' experience like e.g. a bong. More like as many hits as you comfortably get in the 8-10 minute session you will get. Keep trying, find what works for you. Unless your unit is defective (not many units reported as defective on arrival) you should be able to find a sweet spot with it. When you do you may really enjoy it.

MrNorml,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
@Dorkus_Molorkus

Sorry, haven't been keeping up with this thread the past few days. To add a photo to your signature, go to profile, then personality. Click the location in the compose your signature block where you would like to add the photo and click the add picture icon. Cut and paste the direct URL of the picture into the box and click OK.

Hope that helps. If you want to add multiple pictures, cut and paste the other URL's next to the original photo.

Gonzo,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
FLskwat said:
Damn yes those M105 are running mos def on lower temps! It's a pitty IMO as that was one of the pro's of the solo: extraction capacity...

BTW, AceTK, have you received my last mails? ;)

-
Hi yes thanks. Just caught up after having an internet blackout for 2 days, please see your email :D . Still rocking my stinky solo (inbetween heating it up on 7 just to cook the smell off) but after email to Arizer confirming batch they asked for it back to swap for a possible M106 right away and vaposhop said they may have to pull their entire M105-81XXX batch and order the new hotter and non-stinky M106's in. Gonna feel weird not having it for a while even after having it for a short time. Tiz real nice to have a vape that runs so long on batteries and is small and handheld. I do feel slightly narked that I have to pay money to post it to Arizer now to get my M106 after only buying it new a week ago. I just hope my new one isnt stinky....

AceTK,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Insist they pay for the return shipping Ace. I had no problem getting mine refunded.

If they are being difficult about it just point out that it's not your fault they are recalling a bad batch, or tell them you want to ship it to Vaposhop instead (cheaper for you ifthey don't give in) and let them deal with it.

I found that stubborn yet reasonable works best with them ;)

OhTheAgony,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I have been using my M106 for nearly 3 weeks now. No smell and great battery life. I use it exclusively at 3 and will only stray to 4 if I am in a real hurry.

Gonzo,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
Yeah if it looks that way I might just refund the whole thing from vaposhop. Perhaps I should just order a confirmed M106 from somewhere else... we'l see anyhow when I get the emails back. Besides vaposhop said they only have black M105-SS's left now so id only get a swap for like. Just ordered the power adapter today too and hope it was not a waste of money.

On a lighter note my new IR thermometer arrived so I can begin testing all my vapes for accuracy. Although I have to be honest my other vapes have not been touched since I got my solo. How is your M105-SS btw?

edit: Ah Gonzo can you confirm it runs hotter than M105 please?

AceTK,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I have not tried an M105. I can confirm that it runs hotter and has a better battery life than my original M103 ceramic.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
AceTK said:
How is your M105-SS btw?

If this was addressed to me, I just sold it yesterday.

I love my ceramic one but loathed the two M105's I received. The second M105 was a lot better then the first one, but the smell never disappeared fully in the short time I had it, and it is simply of no use to me if it can't darken my ABV like my ceramic one. My ceramic one gets the ABV darker at 5 than the SS one on 7.

Personally I'm done with the new versions of this vape. Especially after reading that email from Arizer in that link to that French website that was posted a day or two ago where they now claim all SS Solo's smell initially. I'll use my M102 till it dies but I'm moving on to another vape as a daily driver since the revisions, I'm so sorry they ruined what was a totally awesome portable extractor.

I think getting a refund from Vaposhop is the quickest and most painless way to go as well. It's still kinda shitty you have to go through this hassle when all you want is to enjoy your new vape, but the extra wait of oversees shipping probably only adds to that more, and you might get slapped with a custom fee to boot like I did (such a pain to get my money back!).

Does http://lacentralevapeur stock the M106 already?

OhTheAgony,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
Yeah shipping it back to vaposhop certainly would be the easiest I bought from vaposhop to avoid the fees. I'm going to explore that tomorrow pending outcome from emails. Not sure if lacentralevapeur stock the M106 but im sure we'l hear soon. I have to say your story does make me wonder if I should just abandon the solo but then hearing Gonzo makes me think the M106 is potentially the new champ. I think I may take a chance on the M106 then if that fails then il have to find/make something to replace it.

AceTK,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, I haven't tried a M106 but I've heard it runs hotter than a M105. I still don't like the smelly SS bowls so I don't consider them as an option for me, but if you can get past that I see no reason not to give it a shot.

I hope it all works out for you eventually man!

OhTheAgony,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
Haha, thanks Agony. Yeah hopefully it will. Kinda curious as to how the M106 battery life is better and yet it is hotter though. Gonzo have you stripped the unit to see if it uses a better battery? Perhaps going from a 2200mah to a 2600/3100mah?

AceTK,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Hey, I taught you something didn't I?

I personally think it is very fulfilling to educate others as well as myself, and this one didn't even cost me more then a second or two. You're welcome by the way.

OhTheAgony,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
OhTheAgony said:
Does http://lacentralevapeur stock the M106 already?

Did you receive a mail as I told you I would do? No... so Nop, :D
More seriously, I don't know where da f*** they are as they left like a week ago from Canada... :uhoh:

BTW I personally have a M102...and I'm "happy" with it too! :uhoh:

FLskwat,

ilovebOObs

my first attempt at an all glass gong adapter for the solo. looks ugly as hell but the seal is good and works like a champ. i kept the solo stem long so i can use it as a regular stem when on the go. left my camera at work but here it is.
imag0414s.jpg

its made from a broken mouth piece from my sheldon black. its much thicker then the solo stem which made everything harder.

imag0413q.jpg

MrNorml

ilovebOObs said:
my first attempt at an all glass gong adapter for the solo. looks ugly as hell but the seal is good and works like a champ. i kept the solo stem long so i can use it as a regular stem when on the go. left my camera at work but here it is.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3650/imag0414s.jpg

its made from a broken mouth piece from my sheldon black. its much thicker then the solo stem which made everything harder.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/6508/imag0413q.jpg
Doesn't using the angled stem risk either breaking at the angle or tipping whatever it's going to over?

I did this http://s1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj584/MrNormlAZ/?action=view&current=IMG_0550-1.jpg which let me put it into the downstem on a Flawless bubbler like this http://s1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj584/MrNormlAZ/?action=view&current=solo-glass.jpg

Hope images come thru.

MrNorml,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Did you just melt those together Boobsman?

I thought you forgot to email me FLsk, or realized you were already talking to the guy I was informing for ;)

M102s rock!!

OhTheAgony,

ilovebOObs

@MrNorml I like the angled stem, i prefer to hold the solo like that. i also picked that stem because its the snuggiest fit there is no chance of that sucker accidentally popping out. i hope my weld will hold up but its my first attempt hopefully if it break it will just break off at the weld.

@OTA its ugly as hell, but i did manage and air tight weld.

ilovebOObs,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Cool, I was always wondering if it was hard to fuse two pieces together like that. How long did you have to heat before it took?

OhTheAgony,

ilovebOObs

wasn't that long at all, i work at a sign shop so i have access to the neon torch. took me about 1 min, coulda ask the neon guy for help but i wanted to gave it a try, lolz

i will take a pic of the neon station if u want.

ilovebOObs,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I always enjoy pictures!

I'm kinda bummed out though, I thought you just did that at home with a simple torch lighter, haha.

How hot does one of those neon-thingies get?

OhTheAgony,

ilovebOObs

i'm not to sure on temps. but i know it runs on natural gas which burns cooler then propane and butane. i'm sure a regular torch light has enough heat to melt the glass but the point is too concentrated, you will need a wider flame like from this: with that and a few other supplies i'm sure you can meld the glass together and a regular bernzomatic with a big tank cost cheaper then most decent torch lighters.
Propane-torch2-500.jpg

ilovebOObs,
Top Bottom