Anyone water cure for edibles?

Pcloudy

I ended up with a 5oz bag of larf and trimmings and am thinking about water curing an ounce or two for edibles to see if it makes my butter/oil a little less fragrant. Anyone try this technique for edibles before?

shredder

I ended up with a 5oz bag of larf and trimmings and am thinking about water curing an ounce or two for edibles to see if it makes my butter/oil a little less fragrant. Anyone try this technique for edibles before?

I've water cured outside grown plants by dipping them in clean water.

I know that the dirty water shows it does work, but since I made concentrates it's hard to say how much difference it made.

shredder,

hoptimum

100%
I always (except this latest time) do a water cure before I cook with it. I use a french press and change the water daily until it runs clear.
Sandwich the buds between 2 coffee filters and tape it to a fan to dry it out.

WCing is the answer to eliminate the taste.
You don’t need to wait a day between plunges. I simply plunge, wait an hour, and plunge again. Repeat until nearly clear. You can do it in a few hours

840_divided_by_two

Nope because I once added water to my decarbed bud, coconut oil, and soy lecithin mixture and destroyed a whole batch once... also I don't mind the taste of terpy edibles :) Reminds me that it's infused if I forget lol

840_divided_by_two,

tgvp

I do that with my ABV and rosin pucks. The first wash after an hour, next one a little bit longer (just check the color of the water) then 1 a day for about 4 days then I dry the batch in the open oven with door open at 80°c max for 1 or 2 hours before cooking it in coconut oil for hours. I really enjoy the improved taste

Old Moderate

Any one try water curing after de-carbing? It might help too, but I’ve never tried it. Thinking it would be a bit like water curing ABV.

Old Moderate,
Reactions: shredder

tgvp

Any one try water curing after de-carbing? It might help too, but I’ve never tried it. Thinking it would be a bit like water curing ABV.
When you dry it in the oven after water curing, it believe it does the decarb at the same time, so I don't think doing a decarb before is needed

Old Moderate

When you dry it in the oven after water curing, it believe it does the decarb at the same time, so I don't think doing a decarb before is needed
I was wondering though if it would further decrease the taste to water cure after decarbing as well. I guess I can give it a try next time and see…

Old Moderate,
Reactions: tgvp

Hookahhead_MD

Accessory Maker
I don’t have any experience with water curing. However, I “wash” my butter. I typically make butter with the crock pot method. After refrigerating and collecting the butter, I remelt the chunk of butter in a fresh batch of hot water give it a good stir. This cleans a lot of the green color and taste from the butter.

RxPlorer

I don’t have any experience with water curing. However, I “wash” my butter. I typically make butter with the crock pot method. After refrigerating and collecting the butter, I remelt the chunk of butter in a fresh batch of hot water give it a good stir. This cleans a lot of the green color and taste from the butter.
That's a method I've never heard of before. Do you skim the chlorophyll off the top or something?

RxPlorer,

Hookahhead_MD

Accessory Maker
That's a method I've never heard of before. Do you skim the chlorophyll off the top or something?
The chlorophyll goes into the water.

I use my large crock pot. Typically add like 1.75 liter of water, 2 sticks of butter and an oz of shake/trim/abv. Turn it on high and let it cook for an hour or 2, turn it off and let it cool. I strain this through a metal mesh strainer and try to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. This goes into a 2L plastic pitcher and into the fridge. The butter floats and the sediment settles to the bottom. The next day I run a butter knife around the outside edge of the butter and lift out the chunk of green solidified butter. The nasty water goes into the garden or compost. Melt the butter with a fresh 1.5L of hot water. I typically do this step on the stove because it only takes a few minutes. Allow it to cool and refrigerate again to solidify. Now the butter is much less green, and cookies made from the butter taste great.

kendon

Beeswax is cleared similarly. In general you'd want your stuff to solidify as slowly as pssible, this way all the stuff has more time to settle to the bottom. When clearing beeswax the crockpot is often packed in insulating material (like old blankets), to slow down the cooling/solidifying process).

kendon,

Legitchase

I was wondering though if it would further decrease the taste to water cure after decarbing as well. I guess I can give it a try next time and see…
Hey did you try water curing your decarbed weed? I came to Google to find out and stumbled across this post haha.

Legitchase,
Top Bottom