Any serious beer drinkers in forum?

ginolicious

I had a regular Budweiser last night instead of my usual craft beer. Boy did it taste like piss. And I use to drink it the time. Guess my pallet has changed eh?

GinoLicious,
Reactions: GetLeft

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I am not a beer drinker. I did try and like specialities like Gueuze, or mort subite with fruit flavours etc.
Nowadays I rarely drink any beer.
But in summertime I love a little beer mixed with elderberry flower sirup and sparkling water.
It is so tasty, kills the thirst because the beer takes the sweetness of the sirup away and it is anti-covid because of the antiviral properties of the elderberry flowers.

I might want to buy a Corona extra, to remember the special times we go through.:clap:18567_459846025386_2307270_n.jpg

Thick Vape,

ginolicious

Just picked up some craft brew double IPA. Not sure how I feel about it. Usually not a double ipa. I’m indecisive at this point to be honest.

GinoLicious,

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Horizontal-logo-inline-white-01-1.png

Still in Virginia but this time from Norfolk, I'm trying out an agave IPA by O'Connor Brewing Co. called El Gaupo. And, VA clearly don't play - once again weighing in at 7.5% ABV, this bittersweet little number went down almost too easily . . .
El-Guapo.jpg

Cheers!
:peace:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Just picked up some craft brew double IPA. Not sure how I feel about it. Usually not a double ipa. I’m indecisive at this point to be honest.

I mean...If I am going in that bitter direction, I would generally prefer a Double or even a Triple, to a single IPA. I dunno what to say. If I'm already going in that direction, my taste-buds say: "Why not go all the way, or go home?" It is what it is.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Hey guys, fellow beer enthusiast here, so much so I brew from grain. I love a good IPA, American or English style, it's all good with me. We don't have a great selection of American hop forward beer in the UK but it's improving each year. The trouble here is our macro breweries have the industry sewn up.

I wonder if I can get a suggestion from some of our American members. My dad, who is based in mass, loves a dipa or neipa also, I'd like to send him some for father's Day. Where (online) does the American beer enthusiast buy a selection of micro brews for delivery? Thanks in advance

ginolicious

I’m taking a break. I over did it drinking Sunday. I got the worst burn all over my body too. Get a head ache that comes and goes. And my stomach has been off. They comes and goes too. Haven’t drank since then. Totally over did it with the heat, sun, and beer.

GinoLicious,
Reactions: Vitolo

GetLeft

I'm out of my go-to brews and am tapping intot beer I bought at different times in the past but didn't like enough to dring the entire 12 pack. I've had this Yard's Pale Ale for at least a year. Not sure why! It's a fine pale ale and hits the spot perfectly this cold and hazy PA sunday. Spring time is coming!

Vapor Loop

Has anyone figured the key to regulating a Zombie dust in the fridge so it taste like it should in the can? I flat out can't it just tastes bad now that i can't find it bottled. The bottles didn't taste rite unless i had them stored in a specific fridge on a specific shelf for a good week.

I really wish the craft beer ind would just stop canning it ruins so many great beers. I have a kegerator and pressurized mini kegs but it's a bit of a hassle getting either growler fills or keg's. I have even had people laugh when asking for certain beers i can find locally in kegs.

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
Has anyone figured the key to regulating a Zombie dust in the fridge so it taste like it should in the can? I flat out can't it just tastes bad now that i can't find it bottled. The bottles didn't taste rite unless i had them stored in a specific fridge on a specific shelf for a good week.

I really wish the craft beer ind would just stop canning it ruins so many great beers. I have a kegerator and pressurized mini kegs but it's a bit of a hassle getting either growler fills or keg's. I have even had people laugh when asking for certain beers i can find locally in kegs.
As someone who is currently canning beer for a living, I resent this!!!

LOL, but in all honesty neither the can nor the canning process affects the flavor of the beer whatsoever. That said, I am not accusing you of falling prey to bottle placebo.

3Floyds started canning last year and at the same time they widened their distribution. If not for Covid I would automatically assume this shift coincided with an increase in production. Larger batches or dialing in a new system will lead to quality inconsistencies, even if they aren't cutting any corners! I'd give them another few batches to dial it in. But then an ice cold can poured into a glass should be indistinguishable from a bottle. If not, they better fire their canning operator!

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I haven't had a beer since the pandemic started and I really don't know why...probably because I didn't need to drink at home, I would just go to World of Beer close by since some of my friends worked there. At that time though, my go to was Sweet Water's 420 Strain G13 IPA( Ihave a 6 pack sitting on the kitchen counter for over a year). One of my all time favorites is New Belgium's Hemperor HPA...I remember when World of Beer near me first got it, when they tapped it, the GM thought all his employees were smoking weed inside, lol! You could open a bottle of it and instantly within a 8-10 foot circle, people would be looking around like they thought someone was smoking weed...so damn funny. I also had it at the source, at New Belgium's Asheville North Carolina brewery...the Sierra Nevada brewery there is real sight to behold as well, really beautiful brewery...and dayum, the Asheville area is stunning to me.

So ya, I was/am a hop-head...love IPA's, Imperial IPA's, Specialty IPA's....any IPA. Also love Belgian dubbels tripels, and quads...some of the most flavorful beers you can have.

If you want the easiest break in to craft beers, start with Belgian tripels, then Belgian golden ales, then mellow pale ales, steadily increase the hop count of the pale ales, and before you know it, you will have your first IPA and enjoy it. That's what I did and I hated IPA's before that; if you try an IPA from the get go, you will hate them I guarantee, lol.

Vapor Loop

As someone who is currently canning beer for a living, I resent this!!!

LOL, but in all honesty neither the can nor the canning process affects the flavor of the beer whatsoever. That said, I am not accusing you of falling prey to bottle placebo.

3Floyds started canning last year and at the same time they widened their distribution. If not for Covid I would automatically assume this shift coincided with an increase in production. Larger batches or dialing in a new system will lead to quality inconsistencies, even if they aren't cutting any corners! I'd give them another few batches to dial it in. But then an ice cold can poured into a glass should be indistinguishable from a bottle. If not, they better fire their canning operator!

Part of the problem is i mostly stopped using glasses in favor of double walled metal koozies. I drink too slow most of the time. I mean really slow five plus hours sometimes on a 12oz beer. A serious koozie is normally a must for me.

I have seen studies that say both it's real and ones like you mention saying placebo.

CANtalk

I'll take quality world class beer in whatever it comes in 👍. Most of my premium cellared beer collection is in glass fwiw (so I tend to prefer glass). And there's some long term aging going on as well, corked bottles, etc.

Big Belgian beer fan here, not an IPA fan so much (though I still have a number of them). I'm in North America (Canada) and deep dived sourcing world class beer for a few decades now, including engaging individual importers, cross-country sources, etc. I've sourced (and enjoyed) all of the original 7 recognized Trappist beer breweries, and have bottles of most all of them currently cellaring. There's a bottle of WVXII in my basement beer fridge right now.

There are sooo many different styles/types of Belgian beer as well, with much much excellence :love:. There's so much to deep dive from Belgium alone, it's crazy good.

I've sought out and patronized the best bar pubs I can find, including ones that have hosted Zwanze days :bowdown:. Any Zwanze day and related-beer fans here? I'm up for beer talk any time. Cheers :cheers:

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I'll take quality world class beer in whatever it comes in 👍. Most of my premium cellared beer collection is in glass fwiw. I do prefer glass. And there's some long term aging going on as well, corked bottles, etc.

Big Belgian beer fan here, not an IPA fan so much (though I still have a number of them). I'm in North America (Canada) and deep dived sourcing world class beer for a few decades now, including engaging individual importers, cross-country sources, etc. I've sourced (and enjoyed) all of the original 7 recognized Trappist beer brewers, and have bottles of most all of them currently cellaring. There's a bottle of WVXII in my basement beer fridge right now. There are sooo many different types of Belgian beer :love:.

I've enjoyed bar pubs that have hosted Zwanze days :bowdown:. Any Zwanze day and related-beer fans here?

I'm up for beer talk any time. Cheers :cheers:

I'm not a big IPA fan either, although there are some I enjoy which are low on the bittering hops.

I don't have a particular style that I would call a favorite, my tastes tend to change with the change in seasons. I tend to favor my British ales, and I get excited if a pub has a beer engine with a cask ale.

I do enjoy several Belgians, but I tend to like the milder styles. I have made a few Hoegaarden wit-style clones, but right now I'm working through a six pack of Leffe.

CANtalk

I'm not a big IPA fan either, although there are some I enjoy which are low on the bittering hops.

I don't have a particular style that I would call a favorite, my tastes tend to change with the change in seasons. I tend to favor my British ales, and I get excited if a pub has a beer engine with a cask ale.

I do enjoy several Belgians, but I tend to like the milder styles. I have made a few Hoegaarden wit-style clones, but right now I'm working through a six pack of Leffe.
For IPAs, I really enjoy grapefruit style hops. I regularly enjoy Red Racer IPA (pint cans), and have chased down stuff like the Dogfish Head IPA offerings. No Pliny yet.

While I love Belgian beer first, it's a huge palette of beer alone ;). This naturally quickly includes not just Belgium but Belgian style beer as well.

I very much love variety in beer and have a broad palette, so there's lots of favorites out there across many styles. I seek out and enjoy ales, porters, stouts, Black & Tan, lambics, geuezes, doppelbocks, sours, oud bruins, weizens/wheat beers (love the clove in Hoegaarden, plus the stronger Konig Ludwig), barley wines, strong versions of everything, etc. My overall deep beer dive ends up with a mix of premium Canadian and US craft beer, plus the best of Britain, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, etc. Great beer on tap is next level and worth seeking out as well. Beer is such a big hobby!

Cheers to the cask ales :cheers:. I've been lucky enough to have sought out a number of beer pub bars that specialize in cask ales. It's a small but very enthusiastic community, with lots of beer history. Cask ales are not my favorite, but still very good. I tend to seek out a little more carbonation than cask ales typically bring.

You make your own beer :cheers:. Nice! I haven't gone there. Has it been worth it? (I haven't read back in this thread yet either for historical contributions so I really am just introducing myself here). My homemade beer and wine experience (always from others) is limited, but has not been very good. In this hobby (one of many), I'm more of an imbiber than cultivator :clap:.

Cool on the Leffe :cheers:, good Belgian beer and shared experience 👍. I now tend to skip over them; Delerium Nocturnum and Tremens is in regular use here, with excellent access over the last decade... but at a premium price :uhoh:.

And there are lots of excellent US and Canada craft Belgian style beers available as well. I enjoy Unibroue (Canada) often and last night was Fin Du Monde, a Belgian style tripel (using Belgian sourced yeast); and it's rated 97% on Beer Advocate. US craft beer hunting delivers much of the best stuff in the world as well. With some work, there's a lot of world class beer access in much of the first world now, 4 sure 🌠.

It's getting late and I'm deep into enjoying the vape and beer (a Canadian craft vanilla stout atm), so sorry for any spelling and grammar issues :razz:.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
All the Belgians everyone has mentioned I've pretty much had, @CANtalk mentioned some favs for sure...don't forget St. Bernardus ABT 12...so many. One of the best quads I've ever had believe it or not is made right in Florida...Infinite Ale Works, if you find their Belgian Quad, give it a go.
Pictured below are some of the IPA's I have, two are Imperial IPA's so heavier on the ABV%, hehe. The Dogfish Head 120 Minute is one of the highest in ABV in the world if I'm not mistaken (18%) and I've had that bottle for two years, waiting for the right time, lol.
aaqoWYB.jpg

CANtalk

Looks great @CrazyDiamond and thx for sharing. IPA is the most popular craft style in the US... and that's a monster craft beer market. I'm more in the minority here in North America as a Belgian beer fan. I love how so many in the beer enthusiast community have sampled the same world class beers; it's great to share the same experiences and talk shop. Beer truly is available to the masses compared to deep diving spirits and wine (which are much more expensive endeavors). St. Bernardus ABT 12 is nice 4 sure; I have a few in the cellar but availability has been spotty. Interestingly, they're technically not recognized as a Trappist brewery or beer. I'm a Quad man; thx for all Quad or Belgian strong beer suggestions 4 sure 👍. For high ABV beer I recommend barley wines, they can go to >25% ABV in Samuel Adams Utopias.

@BabyFacedFinster, have you tried Belgian farmhouse ales? That style blew me away and it's milder. I'm seasonal in my beer habits as well. With ur enjoyment of the wit style, have you tried/enjoyed Unibroue's Blanche De Chambly? It's a very nice North American (Canada) beer option fairly widely available. Even more enjoyable on tap.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
@BabyFacedFinster, have you tried Belgian farmhouse ales? That style blew me away and it's milder. I'm seasonal in my beer habits as well. With ur enjoyment of the wit style, have you tried/enjoyed Unibroue's Blanche De Chambly? It's a very nice North American (Canada) beer option fairly widely available. Even more enjoyable on tap.

I looked over the other wits mentioned and didn't recognize any. It is a fun beer to brew with all the wheat malt to give it that haze. I like that light citrus coriander flavor you get in a good wit.

I don't have a taste for the wild fermented lambics and sours. Farmhouses and anything more than a dubbel have too much funk for me. There is something in those phenols and esters that tastes good to me but only in small amounts. Same goes for the German Hefe yeast flavor.

When in a pub, I will first gravitate towards a porter or any british ale. I like an oatmeal stout over a dry Irish stout. I don't like all those extra things they add to ales these days like peanut butter, coconut, vanilla-maple, chocolate cherry. I tend to be more of a purest.

I don't mind the low carbonation in a cask ale, but I do like it to be a bit colder than others prefer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom