Any Downsides to the Vapcap? Anything you would change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biohacker

I've witnessed some incredible momentum in the VapCap thread, and see that there is a major cult following, which is the case for many lower priced vapes out there. The more expensive the vape, the less its popularity.

I know that those who like it, love it and I respect that. I've dabbled with it a while back, and didn't think anything special of it, and neither did my friend who owned the woody and glass (broke it). That was over a year ago I think now, and realize that there are others now like the M and omni i think.

What I want to know, since i'm such an optimist, is what you don't like about it, or perhaps why you sold it, and what you prefer instead. Myself I am a huge fan of the supreme, because I feel it's the best heat exchanger technology in the industry, and nothing has remotely come close to it in vapour output and quality IME.

The VC intrigues me, especially as I transition to micro dosing (or at least NOT macro dosing!) but I still am not sure if it's for me. I like the digital temp precision of the supreme, and for a torch vape i'm concerned about over cooking loads, combusting, having to be too mindful, listening for a click that may or may not happen (i remember they break or something?).

I just want to know about member's experiences where they tried it and decided it wasn't for them. Thanks!

biohacker

Thanks @duff! I know how much you love the VC, so I so totally respect your honest unbiased feedback. Wish this forum had more like you!

So draw restriction is something I read about even in the last page of the thread I think by @Winegums and does concern me. I just cancelled my order for the Solo 2 due to this reason, I just HATE the restriction.

How would you say the restriction is in comparison to some of your other vapes? I realize that the GH is wide open, so bad comparison, but what about the Solo?

How easy is it to master the VC as to not combust or char? How mindful do you really have to be? Is the click really "fool proof"?

Has there been alot of RMA's with the VC? I do realize that DynaVaps customer service is on another level, but what have people generally reported go wrong with them? I thought the click was a big issue, but perhaps has been perfected?

Huge thanks for your response bro!:rockon:

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Think I'll probably be getting rid of mine
The draw restriction means mouth inhales but I knew this before buying and just treated it kinda like a joint
What I dislike is like having to pay close attention to avoid combustion and I don't like having to use a butane lighter, especially when outdoors.

duff

Well worn
Is the click really "fool proof"?
In my experience, yes it is foolproof (I should know!).

I haven't heard of ANY RMAs with them aside from the occasional broken glass on the og.

With the carb closed, restriction is tight. Much more than any other vape I own.
Typically I keep the carb closed 90% of the hit and then feather it a bit and finish with it closed. My draw pretty consistently goes click to click.

I ordered a VONG from @Winegums and requested one without a carb. I love it.

Edit:
My buddy uses his with the carb open the whole time. It works but the clouds are smaller.
Haven't tried an Omni, which let's you dial in the restriction.

biohacker

Think I'll probably be getting rid of mine
The draw restriction means mouth inhales but I knew this before buying and just treated it kinda like a joint
What I dislike is like having to pay close attention to avoid combustion and I don't like having to use a butane lighter, especially when outdoors.

Thanks for your input! I think I know what you mean about "mouth inhales", this reminds me of conduction vapes like the Solo and pax, and I simply could not use the pax for that very reason. I have massive lungs, and like the big freeflowing hits of the crafty/mighty. My supreme has a slight restriction, but it's more contingent on the actual load, grind, etc. so can be easily manipulated and managed.

I would only use the VC with a water tool indoors, but use a creme brule style torch lighter which I assume would be way overkill for the VC.

I honestly didn't even know about the carb! Is vapour diluted significantly when it's open? Must make for a more freeflowing easier hit though.

Thanks @PPN! I value your input!

biohacker

But still pyro even with the carb cracked open you're not happy with the airflow?

biohacker,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Thanks @duff! I know how much you love the VC, so I so totally respect your honest unbiased feedback. Wish this forum had more like you!

So draw restriction is something I read about even in the last page of the thread I think by @Winegums and does concern me. I just cancelled my order for the Solo 2 due to this reason, I just HATE the restriction.

How would you say the restriction is in comparison to some of your other vapes? I realize that the GH is wide open, so bad comparison, but what about the Solo?

How easy is it to master the VC as to not combust or char? How mindful do you really have to be? Is the click really "fool proof"?

Has there been alot of RMA's with the VC? I do realize that DynaVaps customer service is on another level, but what have people generally reported go wrong with them? I thought the click was a big issue, but perhaps has been perfected?

Huge thanks for your response bro!:rockon:
The draw resistance of a Ti vapcap is proportionate to the density of vapour. Meaning that it has high resistance but you're getting VERY dense vapour. The high resistance takes some getting used to but it seems worth it in the end. Using a VC through a water piece with a wide mouth can make it easier and more pleasant to use. My latest post was about the M model which is a stainless tip and lacked the grooves in the tip making for abnormally high draw resistance.

As far as the clicking goes, it's hard to combust as long as you heat in the middle of the cap around the "DY"NAVAP area. My advice is to start at the tip of the cap for your first few loads to get the feel for how much it's getting toasted per heat cycle. Then move down the cap as you get more comfortable using the piece. As you move down the cap you get hotter temperatures and thicker vapour.

I typically heat my cap in the DY"N"AVAP area and can toast the load in two heats but it gets close to combustion. As time goes on I get more tuned to the heating time and know when to stop if I feel like it's taking too long to click.

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Just got my M and love it so far. Omni should be here tomorrow. The draw is restrictive, like no joke probably up there with the most restrictive I have used with carb fully closed. That being said the vapor production I get out of it and the short length of the hit needed for that great extraction is a trade off I have been happy with so far.

I don't see it replacing my supreme or my Evo when I want those effortless face melting hits, but it's a very effective tool in a small pretty package imo.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Compared to the GH the Omni with carb fully closed is way more restrictive. The more you open up the carb the less resistance but also the less vapor density.

My fears are:
  • Losing the cap, feels like I could lose this thing very easily
  • Putting the hot end in my mouth by mistake - Others have
The rate of updates is quite high with this vape, George is constantly refining the design. This is both great and also the greatest cause of VAS as one constantly wants the latest components. The plus side here is that the device is modular so you can often upgrade which ever component you like.

Overall though I'm very happy with this vape and the style of vaping it produces.

C No Ego

I've got one I break out every now and then when my stash gets low... the usage looks suspicious though and would not want someone seeing me use it thinking I'm, on crack lol... my little metal tip pops off after it heats and cools then clicks... once it clicks it clicks hard and pops the cap off... I use a little piece of napkin now to keep the tip on until the click happens.... I've been told I could return it but have not done so

edit... mine is the cheaper $30 glass bodied version...

Last edited:

biohacker

Great replies guys thanks so much.... I'm glad I asked! I'm quite certain that this one isn't for me. I actually was ultra resistant to even getting the supreme due to the torch, but that temp control and heat exchanger make it my all time fave.

Do many of you not grind with the VC? And are there videos with bong usage? :brow:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I posted about this recently in the Vapcap thread, carb use is very much a measure of torch technique. I rarely carb when hitting the Vapcap dry, and only use it initially when running through water. You absolutely do not have to carb it for thick dense vapor... The Vapcap extracts massive clouds considering its bowl size.

This Helix tube vortexes up top so you can only milk the bottom part of the beaker, but it would milk this whole water piece if it was a regular straight tube. I don't have any other glass right now.

To me the Vapcap carb is like flying "although the mask may not appear to inflate it is delivering air" type of thing. Holding the carb is restrictive, but not in a way you have to pace your breath or you outrun the heater like an Arizer Air sort of way. I only have the $35 glass one so I can't speak for any of the other devices but it's replaced my Volcano Classic so go figure. It's definitely not being held back by its price range. Wish I had the vong though.

What do I not like about it? As someone else mentioned, torch vapes can be hard to operate in bright sunlight. A trade off is you don't have to deal with batteries though so still incredibly useful as an "off grid" vape. The bowl is small so could be annoying for someone with really high tolerance. It does take some technique and motor skills to operate, could be an issue for those with injury and impairment in those areas. Lack of precise temperature control, but this is a problem with most vaporizers currently on the market. Not that you can't get consistent hits because you can, but I think by design it's not the kind of device where you can just select a steady stream of 350F vapor.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
I had an arizer Solo and THAT was restriction, the vapcap has a good airflow once mastered heating because you dont need to tap the carb (1 month old Ti Woody XLS). I think it compliments really good a Plenty/Mighty because they have totally opposite vapor and high profiles while being top notch flavour both. I like the Vap´s vapor because density and effects are very similar to smoking.

I am concerned because it may have little terpenes combustion to achieve such efficiency and burnt taste while my Plenty will never go that further because it was made thinking in a medical use. Anyways its healthier than smoking and takes me to Andromeda and back real quick.

biohacker

This has been a concern of mine, when you say it's similar to smoking, and terpene combustion, I just feel like this vape (and other conduction vapes) aren't the healthiest due to the pyrolysis and potentially releasing nasty chemicals. I prefer a "clean" vapour that can FULLY extract, but leave a lighter ABV as I don't want the herb fully caramelized.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
This has been a concern of mine, when you say it's similar to smoking, and terpene combustion, I just feel like this vape (and other conduction vapes) aren't the healthiest due to the pyrolysis and potentially releasing nasty chemicals. I prefer a "clean" vapour that can FULLY extract, but leave a lighter ABV as I don't want the herb fully caramelized.

It makes a lot of sense in a medical way, but if you want the most "highness" out of your bud I think those benzenes and nasty chemicals make it so pleasurable for an ex-smoker like me.

The way it extracts in big dense molecules makes it less harsh than my Plenty which releases thinner molecules, and that is the reason you can go one step further with the vapcap temperature and effects wise but for this same reason I think its more harmful even though my lungs are less irritated

biohacker

Great points man! It's benzene, toluene, and the others I want to avoid, and feel they are partially responsible for my horrible withdrawals when I cease usage. Higher temps have their advantages, but disadvantages as well. Then there is my girlfriend, ultra low temp....just enough to boil off THC at 155-160, and she gets greatly medicated. It's weird isn't it, sometimes i'm not sure how much temp matters, although I know it does, but you can get uber high even without visible vapour?

I agree on the Plenty, I found it quite harsh, and I find the mighty similar at times....i don't know if it's the conduction portion or the convective vapour, but i do know that "stale vapour" from a conduction vape can irritate me. The Solo is an example. The smoothest vape at any temp i've ever experienced is the supreme, which is why i use it exclusively, and the ABV can be near yellow so I feel it's getting alot of radiate heat and convection, but not conduction. It's the easiest on my airways, I feel like I can hold it in forever.

@invertedisdead just got your PM, awesome man, i'll get to it later forsure! You always spark such awesome questions dude!!! You really make me think! lol

MrMonss

For me the biggest defect is not directly related to the VapCap but in the little confidence that can be placed in torches lighters (purlins, gas level/filling, etc. ..). Maybe I have not yet found the perfect lighter, I had to use a dozen between Vaponic and VapCap. I do not like at all those meant for "crème brûlée", cooking, far too big and not discreet to carry, and they make a typical sound once spotted.
The smallest cons also is the possibility of swallowing fine particles of herbs. I wait for my next order to make the sandwich filter to test.

Baron23

So, I like my VC's very much, my glass cheap OGs more than my Ti Woody.

What don't I like. Draw restriction and I don't care how dense the vapor, some VC's will have you sucking your eyeballs inward (and please don't reply with 'mouth pulls'...to me, this is just a compromise process to compensate for a very tight draw).

With that said, I do find the OG very usable with its restriction but the Ti Woody have been way more of an adventure.

Also, with the newer Ti tips, its very easy to char the top lay of herb in your oven. The Ti heats up very fast and cools very fast (well, compared to the boro). I think this tends to retard the evenness of the heating resulting in a bit of char but I'm not sure. Just don't like that.

I still use my OG frequently. It will extract from .05 - .07 as good as any vape I have experience.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I got a very early OG back from the crowdfunding campaign. I knew it would be just a backup for whenever I got no access to electricity (and with solar chargers and power banks, it means practically never) as I pretty much dislike anything flame powered (it's not something culturally acceptable in my social circle, unless you want to be called a crack-head... and after having fucked combustion completely it feels like two steps backwards)

But it's almost unusable for me: if I let the carb open I get no vapor. I tried feathering it or partly covering it but it never worked. The only time I got any vapor was with the carb fully closed, and with the OG cap with no grooves, it's like sucking a golf ball through a soda straw. So much that it's painful for my lungs and requires too much effort... effort I'm not allowed to do after having had two medical interventions involving my lungs.

So I tried to like it but it's clearly not for me. :rip:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom