Anvil by Vestratto

coolbreeze

I'll try a one-hit later with the regular bowl and the half bowl, on the USA and a WPA.
I did this and everything seemed more or less just like the OG oven, to be honest. I tried the half and whole bowl, got nice roasts and killed the bowl in one hit each.
Thank you all for your time. It wasn’t clear to me before but now I believe the thermocore can sip AND rip..
It seems to do both well. For me the obvious strength is being able to stretch out the 2x bowl for a joint-like experience. Well, that and the induction-friendliness for the inductors among us.
Is the heat up time longer? I need to go back and read peoples opinions, but from everything I THOUGHT I’ve seen everyone say, is the thermocore is an upgrade in terms of heat retention and huge hits, and that is regardless or IH or torch no?
If the heatup's longer it's only seconds. I'm not sure how the hits could get huger but the heat will last long enough for a somewhat leisurely double bowl session.

Whiff

Vestratto Brand Ambassador
Company Rep
Is the heat up time longer? I need to go back and read peoples opinions, but from everything I THOUGHT I’ve seen everyone say, is the thermocore is an upgrade in terms of heat retention and huge hits, and that is regardless or IH or torch no?
It only takes a few seconds longer to heat via torch and imo is definitely an upgrade.

I made a quick little video showing the cold start method using the thermoCore and Forge. Now the ThermoCore was never made to do this but it does it fairly well. The forge has definitely opened up the door to more possibilities. I cant wait for you guys to see what's in store for the future

Anyways here's the cold start method introduction video

Cold start demo 💨💨💨

Jojofernz

IMG-4597.jpg

Received the USA today and been running some bowls through it on this MVS, makes the vapor really comfortable from the anvil and also been putting it on glass, working wonderfully so far.

If anything I’m still just trying to dial it in with my wand, it does work but I think I need to adjust where in the wand I’m heating it to push it further. Works fantastic with torch and the few trials with the wand were just lighter and I could do another heat but flavor was gone. I’m sure with the forge it works easily but I also was testing it with an insert. I bet without and from below could yield better results.

More experiments are needed but it slaps!

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Hello! Received the Thermocore yesterday and I love it!

The longer heat retention helps a lot when there is coughing involved in the middle of the hit, and a better thermal design makes it more suitable for sustained lower temp extraction. There are also slight improvements when fully extracting which is incredible because the Anvil was already the most efficient vaporizer I own.

Using the wand was magnificent: 315ºC until timeout made it work wonderfully. I had the Anvil alligned which depends on the placement of the coil in your wand, you want to center the coil with the wider part of the thermocore. The vapor was thick and strong and the same temperature and time works for both the anvil and the tempest which makes the wand even more versatile.

It may seem a marginal gain compared to the original core but we are talking about improving an almost perfect design and making it viable with current induction heaters. In fact, besides heating time, i have no need for a forge or another overpowered inductor as it works really well with the wand.

As a sidenote, it is my impression that when heating with induction the vapor is a little more dense but also the effects are a little less powerful. Is it my imagination? Or could it be that torch temps help with gasification when vapor exits the chamber?

Jojofernz

Hello! Received the Thermocore yesterday and I love it!

The longer heat retention helps a lot when there is coughing involved in the middle of the hit, and a better thermal design makes it more suitable for sustained lower temp extraction. There are also slight improvements when fully extracting which is incredible because the Anvil was already the most efficient vaporizer I own.

Using the wand was magnificent: 315ºC until timeout made it work wonderfully. I had the Anvil alligned which depends on the placement of the coil in your wand, you want to center the coil with the wider part of the thermocore. The vapor was thick and strong and the same temperature and time works for both the anvil and the tempest which makes the wand even more versatile.

It may seem a marginal gain compared to the original core but we are talking about improving an almost perfect design and making it viable with current induction heaters. In fact, besides heating time, i have no need for a forge or another overpowered inductor as it works really well with the wand.

As a sidenote, it is my impression that when heating with induction the vapor is a little more dense but also the effects are a little less powerful. Is it my imagination? Or could it be that torch temps help with gasification when vapor exits the chamber?
Just curious, you using the insert for the tempest when using anvil in the wand or no insert?

Jojofernz,
Reactions: jardri

Jojofernz

No insert. The Tempest is not mine, i had it some time for testing purposes but i had to send it back to its owner (@kokolokokolokon )

Brilliant vaporizer and a perfect sidekick for the Anvil, but the Anvil kicks harder.
Cool are you inserting the anvil from below on the wand when heating? Dialing mine in with the wand trying to find best results. For sure kicks up clouds thicker and easier! But I still like tempest in terms of flavor more, but you’re right they go great together!

Last edited:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Cool are you inserting the anvil from below on the wand when heating? Dialing mine in with the wand trying to find best results. For sure kicks up clouds thicker and easier! But I still like tempest in terms of flavor more, but you’re right they go great together!
Can you say which retains heat longer with the same time in the Wand? For example, if you took time in between hits with a full bowl, say 10s in between hits... would you be able to finish with one heat cycle for both?

Jojofernz

Can you say which retains heat longer with the same time in the Wand? For example, if you took time in between hits with a full bowl, say 10s in between hits... would you be able to finish with one heat cycle for both?
I’ll have to do more thorough testing and try that specific one later! But comparing torch thermocore vs wand tempest(with my dialed in setting at 590f til timeout), tempest seems to hold heat a bit longer than the thermocore, like I can still puff on the tempest after several hits, anvil felt like 2-3 strong ones then it faded off a couple more. And this is tempest half bowl vs. XL bowl.

Could be the anvil is extracting most the stuff in those first couple hits so not much is left? Dunno I’ll have to play around more but I don’t wanna clutter this thread so I’ll post more of those findings in the comparison one!

Thermocore is a beast though, put it in the Tempest stem which did an exceptional job of cooling but I still had to take breaks on it cause the sheer amount of vapor coming through it was intense. Very happy with my purchase!

BreadStick

I’ll have to do more thorough testing and try that specific one later! But comparing torch thermocore vs wand tempest(with my dialed in setting at 590f til timeout), tempest seems to hold heat a bit longer than the thermocore, like I can still puff on the tempest after several hits, anvil felt like 2-3 strong ones then it faded off a couple more. And this is tempest half bowl vs. XL bowl.

Could be the anvil is extracting most the stuff in those first couple hits so not much is left? Dunno I’ll have to play around more but I don’t wanna clutter this thread so I’ll post more of those findings in the comparison one!

Thermocore is a beast though, put it in the Tempest stem which did an exceptional job of cooling but I still had to take breaks on it cause the sheer amount of vapor coming through it was intense. Very happy with my purchase!
I think the anvil will always struggle to match the Tempest's joint style session of spacing out your puffs because of the conduction heating? I'm guessing when you're waiting between puffs on the anvil a bunch of vapor is building in the bowl where as the tempest has that convection magic to let you produce vapor on demand.
Maybe a lower temp session on the anvil would have less conduction heating letting you get more hits out of your bowl?

jardri

Vapor Dreams
100% agree with you! I will pick a Tempest once the final model comes out!

Yes, I insert the Anvil from below in the wand

About heat retention, I think both Anvil and Tempest retain enough to clear a load in one heating cycle. The Anvil clears it faster so it seems like it stops producing vapor abruptly when in reality it has extracted everything so nothing was left. The tempest is more gradual in this process (maybe because it doesn´t have a thermal battery recycling heat and mantaining thermal equilibrium)

Smknbud

Couldn’t resist getting an Anvil despite my best attempt to convince myself that the Tempest is all I would need or want. I concur with the sentiment that they compliment each other. I made the right decision. Got it this past Monday.

I went with the universal stem adapter kit w/ xl bowl (that’s all that was in stock at Simrell) and a Simrell Bog Oak wood Vortex stem, XL size and XL cooling.

I used the Tempest insert in the wand with it protruding enough where I guesstimated where the Anvil ‘battery’ would be with the middle of wand as the goal area. With where I have the insert I just heat it like my Tempest at 625 F and get the click right at the point of time-out on the wand. Thick vapor, intense actually. I can’t do the xl bowl in a single hit, no way, takes at least two or three successive hits till the bowl is spent. Bud is evenly and fully extracted.

174330927.jpg

174330928.jpg

174330931.jpg

Beansuppa

Well lads and lasses, VAS has struck again, and my thermocore Anvil arrives this afternoon! Very much looking forward to putting it through the ringer tonight. And for more fun, the USA and XL mouthpiece are coming in next week.

I've got a couple of questions:
1) I have a basic cheapo eagle torch, is this sufficient for the Anvil or is it a bit too underpowered? I know a lot of folks use heavier duty torches for this vape

2) Wand settings: alternatively, I do have a Wand. The functionality is similar to dynavaps in that the temp doesn't matter right? I have it set to specific temps for Tempest use (basically becomes a timer) but I'm assuming I can just set it to whatever for the Anvil and listen for clicks

3) cleaning: The whole entire vape is safe for ISO, including the o-rings, correct? For vapcaps it was always recommended to not dunk the caps but my understanding is that's not really an issue for the Anvil because of the cap design

Thanks all!

Beansuppa,

coolbreeze

Well lads and lasses, VAS has struck again, and my thermocore Anvil arrives this afternoon! Very much looking forward to putting it through the ringer tonight. And for more fun, the USA and XL mouthpiece are coming in next week.

I've got a couple of questions:
1) I have a basic cheapo eagle torch, is this sufficient for the Anvil or is it a bit too underpowered? I know a lot of folks use heavier duty torches for this vape
If it's working well and capable of a full-sized flame, it'll be perfect. I use one most of the time, along with a couple other stalwarts (PB207, etc). For me this is the big advantage the Anvil has over the other heavy pens, that you can heat it with a pocket torch rather than a kitchen torch.

Ariwe

Mine arrived on Monday – been using it for 2x days.
Wow. Just wow!
I've been using it with the Wand exclusively (to try to keep the beautiful metal look!)
I have it set to the max time – it clicks, and clicks again before timeout though.
Emptied the bowl the first couple of times and could of sworn it would be dark black ABV, but it's a perfectly even coffee ground color.
Out of all my vapes, I think this one has the most even cooking – not essential but man it feels like its incredibly efficient.
Planning to get another couple of bowl sizes for variation but I am in love!

isaar91

I use the Wand with the Ispire Dynavap adapter inserting the glass tube(flange end up) from bottom into the silicone grommet so the glass sits at the bottom. You adjust how deep the Anvil sits with the glass and even pull the silicone out a bit for more depth. Max temp 800*F on the Wand. Wand has no power settings, same power all the time and the setting is just a timer. The way I have set up for the Anvil usually 50-55sec to 1st click, second click takes another 5sec. Reheat is 35-45sec to 1st click. The heat is applied slow and I sometimes go past 2nd click 3 sec for herb and 5-8 sec for hash. I double click for auto setting flashes red until Anvil inserted then yellow, red again when removed. Click once for standby again. The Anvil doesn’t fit in the Dynavap adapter glass and will sit on the flange part.

some pics for reference

Thanks for this breakdown. Overall did you find this technique with the wand was able to get you comparable or worthwhile results that a torch achieves?

isaar91,
Reactions: Petetbay

Petetbay

Overall did you find this technique with the wand was able to get you comparable or worthwhile results that a torch achieves?
Yes, but you don’t have quite the same results as a torch as you can pick the area to heat up with a torch. With the Wand the more you heat towards the bottom(deeper) the clicks are less pronounced and the 1st click is barely audible so if you miss it and think the 2nd click is the 1st click you overheat and combust. Using the Wand the heating is slower and heating past the click works good herb is like 3 flashes and hash 5-8 flashes. Practicing on a empty bowl helps you figure out the clicks.

isaar91

Yes, but you don’t have quite the same results as a torch as you can pick the area to heat up with a torch. With the Wand the more you heat towards the bottom(deeper) the clicks are less pronounced and the 1st click is barely audible so if you miss it and think the 2nd click is the 1st click you overheat and combust. Using the Wand the heating is slower and heating past the click works good herb is like 3 flashes and hash 5-8 flashes. Practicing on a empty bowl helps you figure out the clicks.
Thanks! Would you say it's worth purchasing a wand specifically for using the anvil or just paying more and getting a VHB 3D 3S which is designed for it? I've got a deal on a wand for like 50 bucks but am wondering if it's worth spending that to potentially not get the greatest results. I know the torch is better but if you're saying that the wand is able to pretty much do the job w/ the right technique then I'll just go with the wand.

isaar91,
Reactions: Petetbay

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Thanks! Would you say it's worth purchasing a wand specifically for using the anvil or just paying more and getting a VHB 3D 3S which is designed for it? I've got a deal on a wand for like 50 bucks but am wondering if it's worth spending that to potentially not get the greatest results. I know the torch is better but if you're saying that the wand is able to pretty much do the job w/ the right technique then I'll just go with the wand.
I have a thermocore and a wand, while it works it is not fast and it is not powerful enough. The VHB 3D is a better option for the anvil but im waiting for the bfg flare because it seems to be better calibrated for heavy hitters. As it has not released yet it is just speculation.

Top Bottom