Anvil by Vestratto

hoyo77

Hi Guys

John here! Back at work after - well after taking no time off! This launch business is harder than it looks. My sincere apologies for thinking we were ready - when in actual fact we were only mostly ready. That said we are sorting things out and momentum is increasing. We hope one day to be one of those large Thermal Extraction Conglomerates everyone talks about but today its just a family startup. We promise to do right by each and every one of you so please bear with our learning curve.

Before I get into details I do want to wish Whiff and his wife all the best. They are having a launch of their own today and we look forward to meeting their new addition as soon as its sensible to do so.

Shipping update

Last Wednesday we shipped 5, Thursday 10, Friday 10 and today 30. We anticipate shipping 30/day until the launch orders are finished this week.

Quality has improved on each shipment as we noticed things. I will be sending each of you an email detailing what we will be be sending each of you in a follow up package to make your unit as up to date as possible. It may take us a bit to sort every detail out but we want the Anvils in your hands to be up to your standards.

An update on what we found as we have ramped up so far.

The first five units shipped will have the magnetic cap on their utility tubes replaced. We found they don't fit well. When they came back from the anodizers the o-rings no longer slide. Last week we re-machined 225 of them. When you receive the re-worked caps you will notice a crescent shaped bare aluminum zone where the anodize is machined away. The crescent is because when they re-chucked for machining they can be off concentric by a few thousands of an inch. The units are shipped assembled so we know they fit now. 5 units are affected. Future generation tubes will be threaded on both sections so this problem will disappear.

The first 15 units shipped should wash their herb chambers before use. I will be sending you an email. When we got the first batch laser drilled/welded delivered they were ultrasonically cleaned by the vendor. The second much larger production batch was not. Small soot particles are visible under magnification. In our enthusiasm, rush, we missed this. We are tightening our process controls as we go. This soot readily washes and rinses off. We know. We washed 400 herb chambers by hand. Sorry for this embarrassing revelation.

I believe the airflow is too tight on the first 25 units we shipped. The combination of production ovens and valves seem much tighter than the BETA units and so we opened the design up. The units shipped work fine, albeit tight, so I suggest opening the airflow up fully. A faster cooler draw is on the way when we ship the newly designed airflow valve to you once they are machined.

I took it upon myself to re-machine ALL of the airflow valves for the balance of the launch and we need to machine net new parts to replace the 25 . As part of this "airflow" initiative I actually significantly increased the airflow through the valve to give you a lot more control. Airflow volume is inverse to temperature so we are all going to be doing a bit of learning here. The valves will now function from effectively full open to fully shut so dialing in your sweet spot should be possible. Adjusting the airflow valve to open and close easily takes a bit of getting used to so five minutes of practice is worth it. Just look at the line moving in the airflow slot and you'll master it easily. If you pull the screen tube and herb chamber out of the unit, hold them together and draw, you will experience the maximum air throughput possible. This is gated by the 8 input holes on the herb chamber.

New airflow valves will be sent to each of you in the first 25 without you having to do anything. Units 26 and beyond have the new valves already installed. The replacement valves for the first 25 and Thursdays shipment are being machined today and tomorrow. The replacements will ship early next week.

Discounts. We have gone through the list carefully and given the discount to 100% of you who have ordered an Anvil before midnight December 19th.

During the coming weeks our highest priority is to get your feedback and stabilize the Anvil in a production environment. I appreciate your patience and your help.
This attention to detail has me all moist and giggly inside or it could be the medication. I got my shipping notice today. Be here next week. Now I just need Alabama to do their part Friday

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
Pretty excited that it’s looking like I’ll have two different airflow valves to play with.

I hate to ask 😬 has any one done a table top type review? I’ve seen the break down picture towards the beginning of the thread but would love to see a video of someone disassembling, reassembling, loading, etcetera. I don’t recall Sneaky going over anything like that in his video. I guess I want a POV video. I’m dying to get this thing in my hands.

Vestratto

Manufacturer
Pretty excited that it’s looking like I’ll have two different airflow valves to play with.

I hate to ask 😬 has any one done a table top type review? I’ve seen the break down picture towards the beginning of the thread but would love to see a video of someone disassembling, reassembling, loading, etcetera. I don’t recall Sneaky going over anything like that in his video. I guess I want a POV video. I’m dying to get this thing in my hands.
Hi - Its John here.

If you can bear with us for a day or two we'll get the shipment out of the way and then put something together.

Texus

Hi Guys

John here! Back at work after - well after taking no time off! This launch business is harder than it looks. My sincere apologies for thinking we were ready - when in actual fact we were only mostly ready. That said we are sorting things out and momentum is increasing. We hope one day to be one of those large Thermal Extraction Conglomerates everyone talks about but today its just a family startup. We promise to do right by each and every one of you so please bear with our learning curve.

Before I get into details I do want to wish Whiff and his wife all the best. They are having a launch of their own today and we look forward to meeting their new addition as soon as its sensible to do so.

Shipping update

Last Wednesday we shipped 5, Thursday 10, Friday 10 and today 30. We anticipate shipping 30/day until the launch orders are finished this week.

Quality has improved on each shipment as we noticed things. I will be sending each of you an email detailing what we will be be sending each of you in a follow up package to make your unit as up to date as possible. It may take us a bit to sort every detail out but we want the Anvils in your hands to be up to your standards.

An update on what we found as we have ramped up so far.

The first five units shipped will have the magnetic cap on their utility tubes replaced. We found they don't fit well. When they came back from the anodizers the o-rings no longer slide. Last week we re-machined 225 of them. When you receive the re-worked caps you will notice a crescent shaped bare aluminum zone where the anodize is machined away. The crescent is because when they re-chucked for machining they can be off concentric by a few thousands of an inch. The units are shipped assembled so we know they fit now. 5 units are affected. Future generation tubes will be threaded on both sections so this problem will disappear.

The first 15 units shipped should wash their herb chambers before use. I will be sending you an email. When we got the first batch laser drilled/welded delivered they were ultrasonically cleaned by the vendor. The second much larger production batch was not. Small soot particles are visible under magnification. In our enthusiasm, rush, we missed this. We are tightening our process controls as we go. This soot readily washes and rinses off. We know. We washed 400 herb chambers by hand. Sorry for this embarrassing revelation.

I believe the airflow is too tight on the first 25 units we shipped. The combination of production ovens and valves seem much tighter than the BETA units and so we opened the design up. The units shipped work fine, albeit tight, so I suggest opening the airflow up fully. A faster cooler draw is on the way when we ship the newly designed airflow valve to you once they are machined.

I took it upon myself to re-machine ALL of the airflow valves for the balance of the launch and we need to machine net new parts to replace the 25 . As part of this "airflow" initiative I actually significantly increased the airflow through the valve to give you a lot more control. Airflow volume is inverse to temperature so we are all going to be doing a bit of learning here. The valves will now function from effectively full open to fully shut so dialing in your sweet spot should be possible. Adjusting the airflow valve to open and close easily takes a bit of getting used to so five minutes of practice is worth it. Just look at the line moving in the airflow slot and you'll master it easily. If you pull the screen tube and herb chamber out of the unit, hold them together and draw, you will experience the maximum air throughput possible. This is gated by the 8 input holes on the herb chamber.

New airflow valves will be sent to each of you in the first 25 without you having to do anything. Units 26 and beyond have the new valves already installed. The replacement valves for the first 25 and Thursdays shipment are being machined today and tomorrow. The replacements will ship early next week.

Discounts. We have gone through the list carefully and given the discount to 100% of you who have ordered an Anvil before midnight December 19th.

During the coming weeks our highest priority is to get your feedback and stabilize the Anvil in a production environment. I appreciate your patience and your help.
I know there has been some friction and conflict here, and relationships in need of repair. But l want to also applaud @Vestratto for this level of transparency. As long as not revealed to be stalling tactics....

Vestratto

Manufacturer
I know there has been some friction and conflict here, and relationships in need of repair. But l want to also applaud @Vestratto for this level of transparency. As long as not revealed to be stalling tactics....
Hi there Texus - I'm not stalling.

When I took my First Company public the investment bankers taught me the value of "full, clear, plain and true disclosure". If I tell you something its going to meet those criteria. You may not always like the information but at least both of us can deal with it if its in the Public domain. I have found there is a tendency on this Board for folks to draw their swords and start flailing about before the facts are on the table. Its counter-productive because people here besides myself have good information to share but are staying on the sidelines for fear of overtly personal rebukes.

Vestratto, including me and my team, are obviously going to make mistakes. Just like you - and everyone else on this board. When a mistake is pointed out to us we will endeavour to fix it and not hide under a rock.

mephisto

Thanks again John for taking the time to walk us through your qc and production standards. It is a refreshing insight into the process which yields a device as innovative as the Anvil appears to be.
You called it right about the drawn swords, we can be a prickly, demanding bunch of vapeheads. All the best for scaling up and mass production.
I will be gifting away most of my DV
gear as I believe the Anvil offers the heavy punch I desire.

ejackyou

Hamilton

When I took my First Company public the investment bankers taught me the value of "full, clear, plain and true disclosure". If I tell you something its going to meet those criteria. You may not always like the information but at least both of us can deal with it if its in the Public domain. I have found there is a tendency on this Board for folks to draw their swords and start flailing about before the facts are on the table. Its counter-productive because people here besides myself have good information to share but are staying on the sidelines for fear of overtly personal rebukes.

Vestratto, including me and my team, are obviously going to make mistakes. Just like you - and everyone else on this board. When a mistake is pointed out to us we will endeavour to fix it and not hide under a rock.
Wow, talk about, teething problems, complicated by timing as to the season, glad your keeping Your head above water. I just hope for Your sake, and ours, that this crazy concept of yours regarding the use of 'true disclosure', (honesty), and giving priority to R&D, Quality control and production over marketing and sales seems like new style business model, Refreshing! Can't wait to get mine! :tup:

Vestratto

Manufacturer
Wow, talk about, teething problems, complicated by timing as to the season, glad your keeping Your head above water. I just hope for Your sake, and ours, that this crazy concept of yours regarding the use of 'true disclosure', (honesty), and giving priority to R&D, Quality control and production over marketing and sales seems like new style business model, Refreshing! Can't wait to get mine! :tup:
Here is my twisted (?) logic.

Right now I spend 99% of my effort trying to make Anvil one of the best TEDs for the money.
As I make more of them I am learning how to make them better. (I'm making Anvils right now as a matter of fact :)
As you point out deficiencies I know exactly where to FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS my attention.
Why work on issues that don't matter to you? You're the Customer. That means my BOSS!
Once more Anvils are in the field and you guys are using them I will get more more feedback.
Provided the feedback isn't just "hey man you suck!" which is useless because I already know I suck.
Which in turn allows me to make Anvils better.
The communication works both ways because workarounds and fixes take pressure off both sides as engineering gets sorted out.

In order for me to make Anvils extract better, more easily and more reliably listening is more important than talking.

Anvil will do the talking.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

You have been asked not to discuss this issue, yet here you are. Just because you're using general terms doesn't get you off the hook, everyone knows what you are referring to. If you bring this up again—even sideways like this—you will get a warning point. Thank you for your cooperation.

On a different note, some of you ignored the request from @Stu to stop cluttering the thread with ordering and shipping posts. Please take your excitement to https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/anvil-ordering-shipping.52060/. Again, thank you for your cooperation.

Vestratto

Manufacturer
OK

I should begin with another Sorry. So frickin' Canadian I'm about to jump off a bridge on this one.

The Utility tubes that have shipped with 100% of the Anvils so far were not drilled deep enough. You cannot close the tube with the Anvil inside.

I have verified that the entire batch is needing rework. I am going to have to send 100% of you a new tube next week.

My machine ( the only one I can access this weekend) is not even big enough to fixture the tubes in a collet so I am having to manually sort this out. It is taking about 5 minutes per tube to re-work so I am going to defer this job until next week and stay focused on Anvils.

I will fix today's shipment manually. I will have the shop that made the tubes under contract re-drill them and then I will post them out to you once they are ready.

For the folks that I am sending new caps, and new airflow valves - I will likely modify your tubes this weekend so we get all the housekeeping done in one batch.

Here in Canada when something this screwed up happens we say "give your head a shake!" This is worse than that. This is "give your balls a tug!" bad.

seki

Mine landed this morning, and I've taken it for a spin. Quick and dirty review: It's great. Closest thing to a Supreme 3.5 that I've tried is my initial impression. I'm finding it very effective. My session was well over 90 minutes ago, but certainly feels like it was much more recent than that.

I was surprised to see my unit turn purple after just one session. I hadn't noticed that in any of the demo vids so far, is this normal or am I going to die?
photo-2021-12-30-11-31-19.jpg

Function aside, I did have some dirty chamber issues as mentioned, but oddly enough, I had one that was clean, and one that looked like it had been previously used:
photo-2021-12-30-11-11-42.jpg

Not a huge deal, but they were slightly rough looking on the top too, but it seems to be cosmetic-only based on function:
photo-2021-12-30-11-13-14.jpg

Also, I obviously haven't been paying enough attention, because I thought for some reason the airflow was adjusted by twisting the unit horizontally, but it turns out it seems that you pull the unit apart slightly to open it up:
photo-2021-12-30-11-48-15-3.jpg

photo-2021-12-30-11-48-15-2.jpg

photo-2021-12-30-11-48-15.jpg

This one's a winner IMO, folks. Already planning on ordering my backup unit.

edit: AVB pics
photo-2021-12-30-11-33-52.jpg

photo-2021-12-30-11-42-46.jpg

Last edited:

seki

Wide open airflow? have you played with it?
Only 2 sessions so far, and to be honest, I probably shouldn't have had the 2nd, couldn't resist though. I haven't really fiddled with the airflow based on @Vestratto's comments earlier in the thread:
Given that my order number was 1017 and it seems like I'm among the first 25 to receive their units, I assumed my unit was affected as mentioned. I'll definitely be trying different configurations though.

Top Bottom