Anvil by Vestratto

seki

usa.jpg

Got my adapter kit and WPA in today.

Adapter doesn't seem to work properly when used in conjunction with condensers. All stems pictured except the v2 Omni (2nd from left) and phattpiggie stem (wood stem on far right) have no condenser installed. For the v2 and pp stem, you can see the adjustment that was necessary to make it fit. On the v2, I wasn't able to push the condenser/mouthpiece all the way in, and because of the fixed condenser in the phattpiggie stem, I had to adjust the way the adapter connected to the stem and oven. You can see the gaps that I had to leave when putting it together to make it fit:
usa-pp-gaps.jpg

The phattpiggie stem has an inline stainless steel condenser:
pp-stem.jpg

Unfortunate as this was the one I was looking forward to trying the most. Also just to clarify, I don't have any VapCaps purchased post 2019, so I don't know how much things have changed. I assume not much given their interoperability between generations.

I also have not yet had a chance to try it out and won't be able to until later this evening. Considering it, I think I like the novelty of being able to use it with my VapCap stems but given how almost all of my Anvil usage is through water, I don't see this getting frequent use if I'm being honest. I do reserve the right to change my mind until I've actually tried it though.

Edit: This is what I think the issue with the condenser is:

If it were just a few mm shorter, I think it would cover most VCs with condensers. Maybe cut somewhere around the red line?
usa-condenser.jpg

Last edited:

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Yeah I have the same (almost always through water) but I'm hoping with the (unreleased) larger oven and its expected better heat retention it will make a nice device to toke from.

Texus

usa.jpg

Got my adapter kit and WPA in today.

Adapter doesn't seem to work properly when used in conjunction with condensers. All stems pictured except the v2 Omni (2nd from left) and phattpiggie stem (wood stem on far right) have no condenser installed. For the v2 and pp stem, you can see the adjustment that was necessary to make it fit. On the v2, I wasn't able to push the condenser/mouthpiece all the way in, and because of the fixed condenser in the phattpiggie stem, I had to adjust the way the adapter connected to the stem and oven. You can see the gaps that I had to leave when putting it together to make it fit:
usa-pp-gaps.jpg

The phattpiggie stem has an inline stainless steel condenser:
pp-stem.jpg

Unfortunate as this was the one I was looking forward to trying the most. Also just to clarify, I don't have any VapCaps purchased post 2019, so I don't know how much things have changed. I assume not much given their interoperability between generations.

I also have not yet had a chance to try it out and won't be able to until later this evening. Considering it, I think I like the novelty of being able to use it with my VapCap stems but given how almost all of my Anvil usage is through water, I don't see this getting frequent use if I'm being honest. I do reserve the right to change my mind until I've actually tried it though.
I know you may not be feeling buying another adaptor, but I wonder if the little extension with fins that came with the Jet Pack designed for the Tectonic stems might help here.

But certainly a disappointing report on something many of us were very excited about.

How is the heat transfer from Anvil to these stems? I think that has been my biggest concern considering how much more heat is being pumped into the Anvil.

Admin at Vestratto

Company Rep
When the 8mm USA was designed it was to work with many of the 3rd party makers who use the standard 8mm size - in particular glass and wood makers. If you have a particular stem that is not working with the USA, we'd love to know and if you could send john the particulars at info@vestratto.com Subject Line USA Interface [Insert Stem Here] we will see if a modification can be made to the USA to accommodate the extended condensers.

Admin at Vestratto

seki

I know you may not be feeling buying another adaptor, but I wonder if the little extension with fins that came with the Jet Pack designed for the Tectonic stems might help here.

But certainly a disappointing report on something many of us were very excited about.

How is the heat transfer from Anvil to these stems? I think that has been my biggest concern considering how much more heat is being pumped into the Anvil.
I caved and ended up trying it with the double crown @mrb titanium stem (3rd from the right in the pic from my previous post). No condenser and a v3 Omni mouthpiece. Seems apparent now why John went with the heatshield option, the stem gets very hot. Manageable but uncomfortable, particularly beyond the mid-point of the stem. I've not tried a wood one yet.

It doesn't get hot at all while heating up. I can hold the stem one millimetre below the adapter comfortably with very minimal heat transfer happening until, and well beyond the click. It's only when you start to pull the heated vapour through the device that it really starts to warm up. If memory serves, I'd say after the 2nd or 3rd pull is when it started to get uncomfortable.

Beyond handling, it was actually a pretty nice experience to be honest, the vapour was still comfortably cooled and the familiarity of the Omni mouthpiece is a plus for me.

The Jet Pack adapter looks like a good solution, but I'd probably just go without a condenser before spending any more money.

I've tried it with a few DV stems (with condenser & cooling unit) and haven't had any issues yet.

Maybe I'm just being picky, but it seems like yours has the same issue mine does:
ibngap.jpg

ibngap1.jpg

Shouldn't that gap be closed completely like in the 2nd pic? It still works, but it doesn't feel right to me, and looks a little off.

When the 8mm USA was designed it was to work with many of the 3rd party makers who use the standard 8mm size - in particular glass and wood makers. If you have a particular stem that is not working with the USA, we'd love to know and if you could send john the particulars at info@vestratto.com Subject Line USA Interface [Insert Stem Here] we will see if a modification can be made to the USA to accommodate the extended condensers.

Admin at Vestratto

It's not a current generation model, but here's what happens with my v3 Omni with the condenser installed in the shortest possible configuration:

I get that the condenser function of the Omni is redundant with the airflow control on the adapter, but if you just wanted to run it through a condenser for some added restriction or cooling you still run into this fit issue.

Edit: I just tried it with my 2017m stem. I realize it's 5 years old at this point, but there still seems to be some definite fit issues:
usa-m3.jpg

usa-m4.jpg

The top image is the standard M with Dynavap Tip installed. The bottom image is the M with the USA and Copper core oven. You can definitely see it pushing up against the condenser significantly more.

Edit: Taking a look at what was written on the discord channel it seems what I'm pointing out here is by design?
Vestratto on Discord said:
The airflow control on the Omni is DynaVap proprietary, if you want the USA to work with an Omni or similar stem you will need to pull the mouthpiece back approx 1mm. This will still provide a perfect seal (based on the Omni John owns). When the 8mm USA was designed it was to work with many of the 3rd party makers who use the standard 8mm size. If you have a particular stem that is not working with the USA, we'd love to know and if you could send john the particulars at info@vestratto.com Subject Line USA Interface [Insert Stem Here] we will see if a modification can be made to the USA to accommodate the extended condensers
I think this is what's being described here. Maybe it's just me, but it I think looks a little strange.
usa-omniv2.jpg

Last edited:

Alligator427

Adapt the anvil head to the omni stem and others is nice, but airflow and cooling is enough compare the anvil stem ?

Alligator427,

cptofnthng

As someone that has never used any special third party stem for the DV, i somehow doubt the benefits of cooling are big compared to the original stem. What do you think?

Alligator427

I have some doubt. The mad heaters stem become very hot at the end of a session with the FMJ. I don't imagine with the anvil head.
But the best people that could answer this question is the people who have the stuff.

Alligator427,
Reactions: jasp3r

jasp3r

I have some doubt. The mad heaters stem become very hot at the end of a session with the FMJ. I don't imagine with the anvil head.
But the best people that could answer this question is the people who have the stuff.
Exactly. I was under the impression the USA was mostly for Glass/Wood stems. But I must say I am sad to see it doesn't work with any of PP's offerings

cptofnthng

The Anvil is not a Dynavap!
The difference is night and day

Its going to take some time and innovation to achieve what you guys want....you know what the issue is...
What are you talking about? What do we guys want?
Its different in some ways but shares similiarities, one of which is a need for a cooling stem.

someTooL

Finally people receiving and giving feedback regarding the condenser. That was my biggest question of how it would or wouldn’t match up. If not using a condenser in your stem I see a lot of cleaning. My experience with the WPA is that it produces a ton of honey drip. Needs a wipe down every 3-4 ovens.

edit: Have you ever seen a floating Anvil? Tada.

Last edited:

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Adapting stems made for Dynavap to work for Anvil...yes...we need stems designed for a Anvil...to handle the heat...
So why isn't this a priority, or at least acknowledged that a cooling stem for native use specifically designed for the Anvil oven is an item on the @Vestratto future to do list? :hmm:

The Anvil kicks ass, but I've been consistently reaching for my two Dani's just because the cooling stem functions as it should with out having to bother with water or a J hook.

Come on John, it's time to direct some of your focus and engineering abilities toward a cooling stem worthy of the great extraction oven you created. This shouldn't be left to third party developers who may not feel they would be able to recoup their investment of time and resources building one. We are over all a patient lot, spring would be a good time to introduce it.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Ngl would love to see what kinda stem he would come up with. It sucks that the USA seems less compatible than hoped. For me it's not that much of a problem since DV never really enticed me to invest in stems. But with PhatPiggie's Thermal Accumulator coming, which also has the 8mm compatibility, it will be nice to have something custom made that can be used with both. With the discounts it was a great offer especially as I still needed the WPA as well, so could grab it all in one shipment.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
Reactions: Old_muel

Greenleaf88

Do you all really find it too hot native with a xl mouthpiece?

I find I can take huge hits without it being too hot so a adapter stem doesn't really intrest me seeing as dyna stems get hot with it usual setup.

Now I would be open to a stem dedicated to a anvil.

Edit: what i would love to see Is that Induction heater to make it Portable without a torch.

I find we are missing the induction and add on for taking dabs. I believe those 2 are the most important for myself.

Texus

Finally people receiving and giving feedback regarding the condenser. That was my biggest question of how it would or wouldn’t match up. If not using a condenser in your stem I see a lot of cleaning. My experience with the WPA is that it produces a ton of honey drip. Needs a wipe down every 3-4 ovens.

edit: Have you ever seen a floating Anvil? Tada.
With the drip issues I'd prob add a dropdown or easy to clean ash catcher to that sweet looking setup. Love that Orbiter sphere as well.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Do you all really find it too hot native with a xl mouthpiece?
I really don't like the aesthetics of the xl mp though. I think the temp is fine with the regular mp except for big hits. And I do like Anvil for its big hits :lol:

I have asked Alex Leo on (his awesome) IG to make me a sleeve and matching mouthpiece which will add some length to the vapor path.

It's padauk

68-A0850-A-9710-48-CD-9629-D559-FE075463.jpg

(The mp is not mine)

Edit to add I have changed my opinion since I saw this sleeve. This I think is the one design that I find appealing with the xl mp

DC9-D65-DC-ED0-F-42-AD-8-D57-0-B5-E319-B1-F6-A.png

Top Bottom