Anvil by Vestratto

seki

I don’t know if anyone else has tried this or if I’m baked and it’s super obvious but if your using the magnet cap from the case on the off centered side (which I prefer) you can attach extra ovens sticking off the side of it and flick them to the top or off the side, it makes hot swapping multiple bowls easy, to make the flick part easier just insert the stem without threading it and move it over, it stays stuck to the magnet shifting off the side.
I know a video was posted over on the Vestratto IG page about using the inner magnet, but I found it to be a little awkward to use particularly for reloading. I use the outer magnet too, much easier to reload and empty. I found with using the inner magnet, I can't avoid getting some material in the cap particularly when trying to load.

Oddly enough, I found the magnet on the Founders Edition tubes to be just a touch weaker than the newer fixed tubes and it's a little easier to use. I came up with a method to get a centred fit relatively consistently:
chamber-removal.jpg

Basically I make contact with the magnet at a roughly 45° angle, then drag it over to the edge of the cap and lower it down to set it in place. You don't need to make contact right in the middle, you can go right up to the edge to start, but I found placing the Anvil at some point on the magnet and dragging it helps me for some reason. For illustrative purposes I took images with the magnet sitting on a mat, but ideally two hands are required for this to be effective.

Here's a video of the method in action. It's still a little awkward looking as I had to position myself for a good filming angle, it's much easier to do when you're not trying to record it:

Anyone have issues with no airflow? I'm using the ronks torch and trying to heat the band at the top, not the base "battery" even with the airflow open all the way there is no airflow it stops up. When cool I can feel air pass through again. Also I've been through about 7 cycles and am not hearing any cool down click, no matter how long I've waited.
Are you still having difficulty?

Not sure if this is related, but I've found the airflow mechanism works better if you manually set it. In the video below, John explains that adjusting airflow is achieved by adjusting the position of the airflow valve between the oven and main stem. You adjust by holding the oven and twisting the main body. The oven "grips" the airflow control via the o-rings and turning the main stem unscrews or screws it in to adjust position. Personally I found it to be a little un-intuitive and for me, it's easier and less frustrating to figure out how far I need to screw or unscrew the airflow control valve manually then just install the oven on top of that. It might take a couple of adjustments and it makes dynamic airflow adjustment kind of a pain to do, but I find I generally don't mess with airflow once I've got it where I like it and that's usually set on re-assembly after cleaning anyway.

Anvil in transit. Wondering how long you adjust the inner blue flame on the Firefox for predictable results? Any additional techniques, tricks that will flatten the leaning curve are appreciated. Thanks.

BLACK-best.png
I set my Firefox flame so that the inner cone is between 1-1.5cm, I heat with the tip of the inner flame cone on the battery and get a consistent 40 second-ish heat up.

blueanvil2.jpg

User Edition #2 landed this morning. Gonna have to get my FE back from my buddy to do a proper family pic at some point. Looking at this pic though, I'm realizing that having multiple units is giving me a "VapCap collector"-like tingle in my vape nether regions.

Anvil pro tip
Want more flavor? More power? Take the little twisty metal insert (restricter plate) out and give it a whirl:tup: after a few hits it becomes a shit collector unless taken apart and cleaned. The myth that a twisted metal piece in a tube that size is a cooling apparatus is just that, a myth:D

The twisted metal is there to catch particles not cool

I've been using my silver unit without the flytrap since my last cleaning cycle a few days ago. It could be a in my head, but I'm finding without it, I'm getting more discomfort in my chest. It feels sort of similar to how dabs hurt my chest only not as intense. Now that I have a 2nd unit in hand I'll have to do some more side by side testing.

Last edited:

My_50p_worth

So my blazer Firefox finally got here from the US..

It does run out of fuel at some point right? :o

The flame is also perfect for anvil, really nice and pointed. A 30 second heatup on the thermal battery has been getting me thick smoke like hits for noticeably longer than the same heatup with the outgoing kitchen torch - perhaps a result of that more focused flame?

Comfortably Numb

I had frustrations over the diff in the 2 magnets in the 2 cases...never used inner magnet....the users cap I dont try to center the bowl in the well..it sits at a slight angle but works well for loading.....never had issues centering bowl in founders case cap

Comfortably Numb,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yes and no I guess? What I mean is that any desktop vapes that warm up can't be adjusted from hit to hit. The Anvil offers a different kind of control because you can pop the bowl out after a dark hit and then do a lighter one less than a minute later (or vice versa).

I think I got some desktops you would like 😁😁

I’m most excited to put the Anvil up against me SCVW! 😎

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I think I got some desktops you would like 😁😁

I’m most excited to put the Anvil up against me SCVW! 😎
You get my point though right? It's got heavy hitter capability without waiting ten or twenty minutes to warm up or like making a vvps adjustment and then waiting some more to extract faster or slower the next bowl.

I don't know what scvw stands for 🤔

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
This is why I keep mine in, less nasty shit chillin in the bong 🙏🙏
Exactly. It is acting like an internal drop down. All the shit that a drop down collects is now collecting in your anvil. It keeps getting reheated every cycle until cleaned, that's why the taste is imparted. I'll use a regular drop down, keep the shit out of my vape and my bong. :tup:

Falconflys

Anvil pro tip
Want more flavor? More power? Take the little twisty metal insert (restricter plate) out and give it a whirl:tup: after a few hits it becomes a shit collector unless taken apart and cleaned. The myth that a twisted metal piece in a tube that size is a cooling apparatus is just that, a myth:D
I totally disagree. All my stems with intercoolers are definitely cooler with than without. I was using my shomni without and simrells intercooler fit it, and could not belive the difference. That's my experience with them, and wouldn't do without in a dyna device. I'm new to the anvil so I really don't know if it has the benefit of cooling like in a dyna. But I have an Anvil on the way and it will be fun finding out!

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Oh, and in case anyone isn’t aware, the battery gets very hot! :razz:
I‘ve already branded my thumb with with a distinctive double line. The sizzling sound was pretty disturbing!!
Yeah I've done that dropping my Anvil into the downstem because I forgot to put the reducer in. That was a sad walk to the kitchen sink on a number of levels

Exactly. It is acting like an internal drop down. All the shit that a drop down collects is now collecting in your anvil. It keeps getting reheated every cycle until cleaned, that's why the taste is imparted. I'll use a regular drop down, keep the shit out of my vape and my bong. :tup:
You reminded me to try the Dhgate dropdowns that finally arrived

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I totally disagree. All my stems with intercoolers are definitely cooler with than without. I was using my shomni without and simrells intercooler fit it, and could not belive the difference. That's my experience with them, and wouldn't do without in a dyna device. I'm new to the anvil so I really don't know if it has the benefit of cooling like in a dyna. But I have an Anvil on the way and it will be fun finding out!
Native maybe but this thing is made to RIP!!!
Native maybe..but this was made to RIP:tup:

seki

herb-chamber2.jpg

I don't recall reading about any changes made to the herb chamber, but noticed some with the new unit I got today. I probably missed a blog post or something, so I was a little surprised to see some pretty interesting changes.

The actual chamber itself is pretty much the same diameter comparing with the chamber that came with the Users Edition I got as a replacement for my Founders Edition. I measured 10.34mm for the old and 10.33mm for the new. The posts connecting the herb chamber to the clicker section are reduced even further and look to be about 1mm or less. I couldn't get my calipers in there for an accurate measurement. I guess this is for even more airflow? I assume this also reduces the rate of heat passing through to the chamber itself, but I couldn't guess what that would do to the over all session.

It also seems like the amount of threading has been reduced a bit. It might require a little less of a turn to open and close, but I'm not 100% sure. It doesn't feel like a significant difference in that regard. There also seems to be some geometry changes to the section just below the chamber above the aforementioned posts and the clicker section looks to be a touch thicker.

I haven't been able to give this unit a spin yet, so no impressions on how it functions unfortunately.

BeeSawd

herb-chamber2.jpg

I don't recall reading about any changes made to the herb chamber, but noticed some with the new unit I got today. I probably missed a blog post or something, so I was a little surprised to see some pretty interesting changes.

The actual chamber itself is pretty much the same diameter comparing with the chamber that came with the Users Edition I got as a replacement for my Founders Edition. I measured 10.34mm for the old and 10.33mm for the new. The posts connecting the herb chamber to the clicker section are reduced even further and look to be about 1mm or less. I couldn't get my calipers in there for an accurate measurement. I guess this is for even more airflow? I assume this also reduces the rate of heat passing through to the chamber itself, but I couldn't guess what that would do to the over all session.

It also seems like the amount of threading has been reduced a bit. It might require a little less of a turn to open and close, but I'm not 100% sure. It doesn't feel like a significant difference in that regard. There also seems to be some geometry changes to the section just below the chamber above the aforementioned posts and the clicker section looks to be a touch thicker.

I haven't been able to give this unit a spin yet, so no impressions on how it functions unfortunately.
Weird, mine looks like the left one and is a user edition that I just bought.

jasp3r

herb-chamber2.jpg

Yup this was something that initially confused me also. User editions that shipped in tandem with the founders got the left chamber, and right most chambers the most updated iterations shipping with all current user editions. Since John has more control over tooling and machining the one on the right is better milled to isolate the convection signature. The only difference I've discovered between the two bowls is the left has more conduction, other is much closer to pure convection IMO. I believe this iteration is called the 'Stanley Cup' chamber, but I could be wrong.

VincentTheHealer

Just received my Anvil and wow! Even though I've been following its development since last October, I was on the fence about it after reading a few lukewarm reviews, but when I received my email last Thursday, FOMO got the best of me and I ordered. And maybe it's the novelty of the new toy, but I'm very glad I did.

Kind of a fan of the bigger brand of butane powered steel rods, but was tired of a few things about it, this definitely scratches a few of those itches.
I love not having to rotate the thing and that it mostly fully extracts in one heat cycle effortlessly. Bought it to hit natively, wanted something I could take a few small pulls without constantly heat it and I'm happy about that as well. I still have to do more "testing", notably through glass and with my induction heater, but so far so good. I was also afraid that my cheap torch wouldn't be enough, but alas it does the job splendidly.

I'm sure as I use it more I will see more of its cons as I'm sure there are, but imo the Anvil is still somewhat a small-scale production and appeal product and therefore has the usual niche device compromises. And as such, I will brag about having one. :cool:

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++

Thanks for the photos and update. Looks like John's quest for a heavier leaning convection Anvil continues. Very interested to know if this changes the vape signature or times to click on different oven locations. The new 0.2 gram bowl follows the same construction template.

bowl2-0.png

In the The Vestratto Sunday Post John said the following:

"The XL Mouthpiece with internal 2nd stage Flytrap filter for smoother native hits. In addition to a second cooling and filtration stage the extended mouthpiece provides a bit more balanced feel for those hitting their Anvil natively."

In a recent com with RWW he said he was just waiting for Anvil to arrive and will be creating a intercooler for it. His prices are very reasonable for his DV collection. The Anvil Universe is growing!

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Thanks for the photos and update. Looks like John's quest for a heavier leaning convection Anvil continues. Very interested to know if this changes the vape signature or times to click on different oven locations. The new 0.2 gram bowl follows the same construction template.

bowl2-0.png

In the The Vestratto Sunday Post John said the following:

"The XL Mouthpiece with internal 2nd stage Flytrap filter for smoother native hits. In addition to a second cooling and filtration stage the extended mouthpiece provides a bit more balanced feel for those hitting their Anvil natively."

In a recent com with RWW he said he was just waiting for Anvil to arrive and will be creating a intercooler for it. His prices are very reasonable for his DV collection. The Anvil Universe is growing!
That's a long heat up with butane for a casual hit here and there like my dynas can provide. That was a triple torch lighter in that vid straight on 30 seconds. Dynas are thinner and thus heat up with induction or torch quickly. But if there are 2 shit catchers in there instead of 1 that should help. Shit I mean flytraps.:rolleyes:
This is an intercooler that cools..

Last edited:

fogbank

Are you still having difficulty?

Not sure if this is related, but I've found the airflow mechanism works better if you manually set it. In the video below, John explains that adjusting airflow is achieved by adjusting the position of the airflow valve between the oven and main stem. You adjust by holding the oven and twisting the main body. The oven "grips" the airflow control via the o-rings and turning the main stem unscrews or screws it in to adjust position. Personally I found it to be a little un-intuitive and for me, it's easier and less frustrating to figure out how far I need to screw or unscrew the airflow control valve manually then just install the oven on top of that. It might take a couple of adjustments and it makes dynamic airflow adjustment kind of a pain to do, but I find I generally don't mess with airflow once I've got it where I like it and that's usually set on re-assembly after cleaning anyway.
WTF is the "Primo"? Did I miss something? :hmm:

seki

WTF is the "Primo"? Did I miss something? :hmm:
I could be wrong, but I assume it's just a superlative. There's been no reference to anything like that since I think. I just take it to mean "excellent" or "top-notch", something along those lines.

Sounds like @seki has a hat trick of chambers.
lol! Technically. I would definitely have included one in the pic, but my Founders Edition has been loaned out to a friend since late January.

seki,

TeaCup

Does anyone own one of these? It's really hard to find a shippable torch to where I live and this one will. There's pictures at the bottom of the page of the flame size, not really sure if that will tell you anything or not.

Even if it's not good for the Anvil and someone does have it, can you let me know how you like it. I've always had this bookmarked for a future Brick, it's supposed to have a fire button that's like butter and I don't really like the pen style ones, my wrist seems like it wouldn't like holding it in that position style. Thanks.

TeaCup,

Texus

I just got the one that stands on its own. But have had other design for a while. Great torches overall. And can do a good job with the Anvil. Just don't expect Firefox results. Some of my favorite lighters. For pockets, I'm about either that or the BT4000 Pencil torch (nice long tube pocket combo with Anvil case and Zam grinder).

@TeaCup

Top Bottom