AirVape legacy

mulciber

Not sure how to respond to those up appear to be up-in-arms about Airvape's consumer practices, but I contacted CS about the problem with the discount and they got back to me _immediately and courteously_.

For the record, I think the Legacy is one of the best devices I've ever used, and I've been using them since vaporization first became a thing (I'm that old). Yeah, their first attempt at this had some problems (spotty haptic, micro-doser that didn't fit right) but the device excels nonetheless. I use it almost exclusively lately.

And their customer service has been just superb from my POV. Just my USD 0.02, but I remain a huge fan, and will continue to praise the company until I'm given a solid reason not to. Don't see that happening.

Breaking Bud

That is pretty shady, so we messed up and because you pre-ordered and supported a new product of ours then screw you. On principal I won't order anything else from them. There are a lot of vape companies out there and I was happy so support them because I liked the way they did business (solid vapes at fair prices) but this whole episode really makes me feel like I was not treated fairly.

Yep, not only vape companies but other companies do such dumb stuff that send their businesses into free-fall.
Couldn't agree more. I just sent them a polite note letting them know that. Just ridiculous to charge anything to anybody who pre-ordered due to design flaws on their end. I get that they're not a big business and don't want to absorb any losses but they'd be smart to remember the angst they caused many people due to poor communication regarding their production delays. On a customer service level I've found that they do aim to please but they are hampered by a "penny-wise pound-foolish mentality." That's an old school adage for short term versus long term thinking (customer retention in this case) , for those who don't know the proverb.

mulciber

Here's the full email from Airvape that I just got...
Legacy Update Email

That's the mail that I received, but when I first responded, the wrong promo code was activated. I wrote to CS and they fixed it. However, note that although the two update parts are supposed to be included with the accessory at 50% off (I got a spare battery) it won't mention it on the invoice. That's a flaw in their fulfillment system that I brought to their attention. It's confusing.

Xclerk

The Universe is our endless supply
I had the same issue myself after an email to cs they were able to clear it up. Seems like you dont have to add the micro basket/ screen to the cart. just the 50pecent off accessory and they should include them w your order. I ordered the bubbler and wpa. Guess this is how they prevent paying the shipping on the new micro bowl ans screen. Kinda meh for those expecting "a future fix". Kinda thing they should have just sent these out to pre order customers, but I digress.On a side note, with all the varried reveiws on temp I questioned if my unit ran cooler while others ran hot so I decided to buy a second one from someone complaining of combustion on any temp. Seems thats not the case. Not noticing any varrience from my original unit. I'm now summing it up to people just packing differently. I think people combusting are over filling these and that's why some people need an added screen for an air gap. On both units I get no combustion and visible vapor at 360. I'm tempted to intentionally over fill to see if I combust. Some key things ive learned so far. Is the rim around the bowl should be kept clear for a good seal. Also its key to keep that tiny screen clean for good vapor production. After a cleaning I noticed a drastic performance increase. This vape is def for those experienced w convection but also for those who are ok w tinkering a bit to get the vapor the way they like it. Still want to play more w on demand mode but I like this vape ....I think....even if loading is a bit of a pain. Need one of those 3d printed funnels. I think these may be some strong words but I think this had potential to be a mighty killer or atleast close to but I tend to agree w some that the CS practices have been a little less than acceptable

mulciber

Also its key to keep that tiny screen clean for good vapor production. After a cleaning I noticed a drastic performance increase. This vape is def for those experienced w convection but also for those who are ok w tinkering a bit to get the vapor the way they like it. Still want to play more w on demand mode but I like this vape ....I think....even if loading is a bit of a pain. Need one of those 3d printed funnels

I'm fanatical about cleaning, and I've got that, as well as filling, down to a dead easy system. Couldn't be happier with performance at all temperatures. You're correct that a lot comes down to cleaning and packing.

jbm

Still want to play more w on demand mode but I like this vape ....I think....even if loading is a bit of a pain. Need one of those 3d printed funnels.
Perhaps Airvape can produce one and include it for “free” if we just buy some more junk we don’t need. I don’t need or want any of the “accessories” they’re trying to unload. I own an X. The thing I liked least about it was that there was no way to micro dose with it. One of the main reasons I preordered the Legacy was the micro dosing basket. So after all the michegas with the Legacy preorder, Airvape now expects me to give them more money to get the very thing I gave them money for in the first place that they fucked up? I don’t think so. Their trying to make more money off me to avoid paying the small amount it would cost them to ship the basket shows they learned nothing from the preorder situation.

mulciber

I understand the feelings expressed about something being wrong here. People bought a 1.0 version device — there's always some risk in that — and found some design shortcomings. The company tried to address those and spent money doing it. Many companies would just let it ride until the next version number (coming from a tech background, I know how IT organizations would handle it, and for them, distribution costs next to nothing). So they take money out of their "pocket" to produce a fix, and they want to get it out to people, which will also cost money. Assuming they don't have Apple's bank account, they seek to defray the impact of the outlay. Their solution — obviously not completely satisfactory — is to offer useful items (I was actually waiting for some sort of promo to pick up a spare battery) at 50%, which is cost. Three things:

1. For the record, my Legacy has performed spectacularly and I'm a fan, clearly. The micro basket was obviously a huge fail, and the uneven heating was a minor fail, but other than that, the overall design is pretty triumphant in my opinion.

2. I was an early Grasshopper adopter. Nothing equals the absolutely BATSHIT way they handle their business. It is an affront to every legitimate businessperson's conscience. I really can't emphasize that enough. That company pushes pure crap and toxicity out the door to rake in enough cash to get through the next month of pushing crap out the door, and it's been doing that for years now. Because they had a minor success with a design that's magnificent when it works, which is about a quarter of the time, people still lap it up. I'm not saying they're evil, but they're living on peoples' good will, and not acknowledging it. At least Airvape has enough respect for its customers to offer prompt, courteous customer service.

3. Complaining is healthy, and worthwhile, and I respect all who do it, because that's how change happens. But at a certain point you can weigh the merits and demerits, and if you find yourself generally on the positive side of the ledger, you suck up the bad stuff and look forward to tomorrow.

I thought it might be useful to hear someone come, at least provisionally, to the company's defense.

Apologies for the long read!

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
Even with a 3d printed funnel the risk of making a mess is still there. I use the funnel for the Hopper since it's the one that cover the oven the best and prevent the herb from spilling on the sides but it's really easy to knock it off and send weed everywhere, also the hole is too small compared to the oven. The others funnels I have are too big to do a good job. The best solution would be to produce a funnel made for the Legacy so it can fit perfectly, it could also double as a containment chamber if you want to stir the herb in the oven without making a mess..

I ordered the new screen and basket to see if they are worth it. So far I really like this vape and I want to see exactly what it can do.

Toivarita

999 Forever
Even with a 3d printed funnel the risk of making a mess is still there. I use the funnel for the Hopper since it's the one that cover the oven the best and prevent the herb from spilling on the sides but it's really easy to knock it off and send weed everywhere, also the hole is too small compared to the oven. The others funnels I have are too big to do a good job. The best solution would be to produce a funnel made for the Legacy so it can fit perfectly, it could also double as a containment chamber if you want to stir the herb in the oven without making a mess..

I ordered the new screen and basket to see if they are worth it. So far I really like this vape and I want to see exactly what it can do.
I’m also getting screens and the new basket. I’d like to bring out the potential of the device.

mulciber

Did you preorder?

I had pre-ordered, yes. I'm not sure whether you're referring to the Legacy or the Grasshopper. I did in both cases (always interested in technologically innovative convection devices). In the case of the Legacy I remember not liking that it was taking a long time to come to market, but there were periodic, apologetic messages from the manufacturer, which was not my experience with the GH. I do think that the discounted price benefit from pre-ordering contributed to my favorable feeling toward both devices. I still have one GH that works, btw. The other is likely lost forever, as it's been about 2.5 years since I sent it to them to be repaired.

floribud

Overall I don't mind paying for this correction. The Legacy does work very well, you just have to get past the learning curve on how not to char. But once I got past that point, it worked well for me in OnDemand mode at 290º, I knew the number seemed low but the vapor production and taste was just right so eventually I settled in there. I thought session mode would never work, but then I dropped in a screen and it does work well, Takes a little while to get going but it doesn't char and is pretty evenly toasted.
So basically I'm willing to give Airvape the benefit of the doubt. For that $99 pre-order, this is my favorite vape in-a-box type device. I wanted to get the WPA anyway so I'm glad I waited. I was ready to pay $14.99 for just the WPA, but with this sale I basically got the matching hydrotube for $5, then I was like wth $39 for the wireless charger was a bit steep but $19 hit the sweet spot and I had to get that too. Even if you're not interested in more expensive accessories, I like that Airvape is giving the opportunity to get a spare battery for 50% off as well. Yeah the sale price is the same as the regular price of a Sony VT5A from the 18650batterstore, but you get that nice Legacy wrap in it and your not risking any warranty issues .... So I guess I'm just saying I'm pretty happy with the way Airvape is handling this. Most of us got a great vape at a phenomenal deal but with a broken microdosing basket. If all they did was send out was just another weaved screen basket, and made you buy and accessory to get it, I might be kind of mad. But for the price of that $7.49 battery you can get a redesigned basket, not just a shorter one. And you also get a new type of screen that is custom made for the Legacy. Yes I would have liked to get both for free, but after the great deal on the Legacy, I'm happy to help them "keep the lights on". Airvape has come up with several interesting and innovative product over the years, and I don't want to see them go the way of Ghost. The Legacy is so unique, it seems like Airvape took a lot of risks in the design, and I'm glad they did. It's mostly successful, and I want to see what they come up with in the future... they clearly listened to the online forums in terms of what people want: 1) no bluetooth gimmicks, 2) on-demand convection, 3) nice internal cooling, 4) removable standard 18650, 5) USB C charging, 6) super easy old school temp changing... Anyway I'm just looking forward to the new toys

Last edited:

lauri melissa

Happy Fairy
Well Airvape/Apollo has me a bit miffed. I had to buy a water piece from at half price in order to get the items that would remedy the basket problem. Not a very good way to do business. I had called them last week about these coupons they gave me for my reviews on Facebook and their site. I have one for $80 and one for $40. Alas, there is a catch.....you have to buy a Airvape X to get the discounts!! I have an X and a pre-ordered Legacy. They told me I cannot apply it to any accessories. What is this bonus when you have this strange caveat? Not very pleased with them. Plus I was supposed to receive a discount because I am signed up for their NINJA program. The kicker is this.....they are using my review on their web site and on Facebook. And they will not honor their so-called gift, unless I buy another vape? 😡🤬☹️

arb

Semi shaved ape
Well Airvape/Apollo has me a bit miffed. I had to buy a water piece from at half price in order to get the items that would remedy the basket problem. Not a very good way to do business. I had called them last week about these coupons they gave me for my reviews on Facebook and their site. I have one for $80 and one for $40. Alas, there is a catch.....you have to buy a Airvape X to get the discounts!! I have an X and a pre-ordered Legacy. They told me I cannot apply it to any accessories. What is this bonus when you have this strange caveat? Not very pleased with them. Plus I was supposed to receive a discount because I am signed up for their NINJA program. The kicker is this.....they are using my review on their web site and on Facebook. And they will not honor their so-called gift, unless I buy another vape? 😡🤬☹️
That is some bullshit right there,fuck them!

hi_there

Change you review and notify them.

lauri melissa

Happy Fairy
Change you review and notify them.
I think that will be my next action. I am giving them one more chance. I intend to write a letter to them and see what evokes. And the saga continues...... Funny thing...I love the Legacy. I use it everyday. 😕

lauri melissa,
Reactions: arb

jbm

And the saga continues...... Funny thing...I love the Legacy. I use it everyday. 😕
I don’t use mine all that much. It’s not so much better than other vapes I own that it mitigates the quirks. I get equal if not better flavor and clouds from my RBT vapes and even my Tinymight. They’re easier to fill and maintain.

Your coupon experience is typical of what I have come to expect from Airvape at this point. There’s no real excuse for messing up on the basket. The way to not have to spend more money on correcting the mistake was not to have made the mistake. Once that’s happened, you really shouldn’t expect your customers to bail you out. Worse yet, give you more money on top of having screwed up. Airvape wants to sell me a 18650 that at 50% off still costs more than what I can get from Lion. Or a wireless charging mat that is probably not as good as an Anker mat I can get for less. I see no need to reward poor customer service. Even if they had said, “We’ll send you the basket and screen for the cost of shipping,” that would have been better. Instead they’re trying to profit on their having fucked up. Sorry, but I don’t exempt vape companies from providing good CS. That doesn’t grow the market, it harms it. Supporting Airvape in this just tells them that you’ll accept any shit they pull because “bitchin’ vape, man.”

I also pre ordered, and there weren’t “polite, apologetic messages.” There was silence unless you pestered them, and then you got excuses. I actually liked them before this and they have lost me as a customer for good. The device for me is not so good that it overcomes their really poor service.

Last edited:

hi_there

Still not having much luck with my legacy. Don’t see any vapor in the 300-400f range. I once had it at 450f then reduced to 350f and got some good clouds but I am afraid to combust.

hi_there,
  • Sad
Reactions: arb

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, I want to say I'm pretty satisfied with my Legacy despite I need to apply some pressure on the top lid to avoid air leaks, too bad they didn't mentionned a redesigned silicon gasket to get rid of that leaks!

I didn't noticed we need to order something to get our replacement micro-dosing basket... that's shaddy, even with a 50% discount... do you had to pay for shipping also? Yes it looks like we still have to pay, so no new basket for me.

Last edited:
PPN,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Still not having much luck with my legacy. Don’t see any vapor in the 300-400f range. I once had it at 450f then reduced to 350f and got some good clouds but I am afraid to combust.
Did you tried to apply some pressure on the lid while hitting the device? Take long and slow draw until you feel the heat/vapor, at this time I increase my drawing rate alternatively with short pauses (like with a smoking pipe) and got good vapor, stirring is needed in order to get an evenly roasted abv and it helps for vapor production, at least once per bowl but twice is better. Are you sure of the quality of your flowers? I have some low THC strains and they don't vape very well in most convection vaporizers. I use only session mode cause I haven'tany luck in on-demand mode.

PPN,
Top Bottom