18650 Battery Safety

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I actually had a Samsung battery swell up a few years ago but not as bad as the one in the photo that @cybrguy shared. I noticed that the battery cover on my phone was bulging (remember the days of removeable batteries) and promptly got rid of it. It really scared me and I imagine that it would have been very dangerous to keep on using it or recharging it..

I've had some sessions with the new Sony/Murata VT5As and these are my observations so far. They stay cooler than the Samsung 26 JM that came with the Ace but still get warm. I think this is down to the amount of heat the Ace generates--the vape gets pretty hot after using for 10 mins or so (even at 185C) and some of that heat gets transferred to the battery. The battery chamber itself seems to be made of steel with some kind of silicone on one side and metal on the other, so it could easily transfer heat to the battery. This doesn't seem to be the best design and I also worry that the metal chamber could cause the cell to somehow short circuit...

I must say that I don't really feel that comfortable using it with all my newly acquired knowledge about 18650s and think my mind played some tricks on me during my last sesh. I usually start at 175C and have 5-7 min sessions and then work my way up to about 200C (5C increase between sessions). Anyway, I took the battery out during sessions to see how warm it got and I'm a bit embarassed to say this but I *think* I saw a kind of spark/flash as I was reinserting the battery into the chamber. 😨 Is that even possible? This most likely was the reflection of candle light or my blue LED chillout lights but the paranoid mind sees what it wants to see. ;) I took that battery out and inspected it and put it outside on the balcony overnight in its case and continued with the other one. Nothing happened to the first battery and it's a completely brand new battery but I'm kind of afraid to use it again...

I'm starting to think that I need to look for different solutions as it's hard to fully enjoy my sessions with these kind of things on the back of my mind. Is there any way to power a portable vape via usb cable or connect it to the mains? If not, I might end up having to look for a desktop unit...

Only you can decide what’s comfortable for you to use. There are of course many vapes that don’t require batteries.

As far as using 18650 battery devices on wall power. Besides being limited by the cord length, MOST devices require a battery to still be INSIDE the device to function. That “feature” is usually called “PASS-THROUGH”.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Anyway, I took the battery out during sessions to see how warm it got and I'm a bit embarassed to say this but I *think* I saw a kind of spark/flash as I was reinserting the battery into the chamber. 😨
While I would like to say it is unlikely, I have never seen the Ace and don't know anything about it, so I can't say it is impossible. A spark is most likely to occur if there is a short, on the battery or in the device, and that would be bad. I don't know how to advise you other than if there really was a spark I think you should do the safe thing and stop using it, or at least try to ascertain what caused it. Certainly inspect your wrap very well.

If you are struggling with the whole battery thing you may want to check out a butane vape. They come with their own issues of course.

Only you can decide what’s comfortable for you to use. There are of course many vapes that don’t require batteries.

As far as using 18650 battery devices on wall power. Besides being limited by the cord length, MOST devices require a battery to still be INSIDE the device to function. That “feature” is usually called “PASS-THROUGH”.
Thanks for clearing that up. :) I'll have to see if this is possible with the Ace and/or look into other options.

While I would like to say it is unlikely, I have never seen the Ace and don't know anything about it, so I can't say it is impossible. A spark is most likely to occur if there is a short, on the battery or in the device, and that would be bad.
The battery itself and the wrapper is fine and there's absolutely no sign of damage, so I probably imagined it and that "spark/flash" was probably the reflection of the lights but it did freak me out for awhile. Having said that, it doesn't seem that safe to have a steel/metal battery chamber but maybe it's made of Zircon which I think is also some kind of metal composite too. :(

If you are struggling with the whole battery thing you may want to check out a butane vape. They come with their own issues of course.
Yeah, I should probably look into different options but using a butane torch does carry certain risks too... I'm starting to think that a "plug in" desktop unit might be the best choice for me.

badbee

Yeah, I should probably look into different options
Note that it's easy to get carried away with some of these precautions. Don't agonize over every detail (not that you are, I'm just sayin').

All those tips to extend cell life, if I'm paying $10 - $20 a year on cells those tips might save me $2. Who cares. All commercial electronics will automatically cut off within the safe range of the cells, you don't need to worry about when they reach 20%. It's only the niche unregulated craft vapes like the Milaana where you really need to care about that stuff.

The core precautions are just common sense. Buy from known legitimate sellers. Keep cells in proper containers, don't throw them into a basket with your spare change and keys (yes idiots really do this). Don't let them age forever in a drawer, if they are a few years old and have been neglected, not holding charge, or look beat up scrap them. Otherwise you are good to go.

For home use it's the only way to go.
Ditanium, Underdog log, Silver Surfer...
I just built my own with the Highlighter kit.
Thx for your suggestions! :)

Note that it's easy to get carried away with some of these precautions. Don't agonize over every detail (not that you are, I'm just sayin').
It's a bit hard not to with those horror stories in the news and all the valuable information that I've learned in this thread. Having said that, I feel relatively comfortable using my cell phone even though it sometimes gets warm while charging. I had a Sony Xperia a few years ago that got hot while charging and even sometimes while talking which had me worried but I didn't know at the time how dangerous these batteries can be. Maybe it's because phone batteries are enclosed which makes me feel safer than these "unprotected" 18650s and the manufacturer warnings not to use them in vapes...

I read on another thread that almost all batteries get warm while in use and when charging but I think that depends on how quickly one charges (I've been charging them slowly at .5A). I'm not trying to get the maximum number of cycles from the batteries but am concerned about the battery short circuiting or venting due to the heat. Has anyone else noticed batteries getting too warm while vaping and how much of a danger is it?

fifty_shades_of_green,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Is anyone using both the Molicel P26 and the P28? How noticable is the difference between them? The P26s are much more available...

cybrguy,

RustyOldNail

Is anyone using both the Molicel P26 and the P28? How noticable is the difference between them? The P26s are much more available...

Doubt anyone would be able to quantify any difference between them, as it’s ONLY 200mAh of runtime difference. Get the 26 if that’s what’s available.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: cybrguy

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Safety and efficiency question that I'm sure has been asked before, but searching didn't readily turn up--with 18650s is it better to run them most of the way down before charging, or to charge earlier? For example, Apple describes battery wear as the cumulative effect of several discharge/charge cycles, e.g. using 50%, 30%, and 20% (and charging to full after each use) is 1 battery cycle. Are 18650s similar? E.g. would it be better to charge early and often or run them as low as I can? I think this is mostly related to battery life (mah) and lifetime (e.g. still being 90% after 6 months of use), but if there's a safety concern obviously that would be priority number 1.

gordontreeman,

RustyOldNail

Safety and efficiency question that I'm sure has been asked before, but searching didn't readily turn up--with 18650s is it better to run them most of the way down before charging, or to charge earlier? For example, Apple describes battery wear as the cumulative effect of several discharge/charge cycles, e.g. using 50%, 30%, and 20% (and charging to full after each use) is 1 battery cycle. Are 18650s similar? E.g. would it be better to charge early and often or run them as low as I can? I think this is mostly related to battery life (mah) and lifetime (e.g. still being 90% after 6 months of use), but if there's a safety concern obviously that would be priority number 1.

As the batteries are essentially “consumables”, and affordable, I don’t bother attempting to monitor their current SOC (state of charge). As there is NO memory effect on lithium’s, I charge them to FULL = 4.2 volts, and most devices will shut down when the preprogrammed set CUTOFF voltage is met, usually 3.0-3.3 volts. On a quality charger, you can set the cutoff voltage manually, 2.5 volts is the low end that battery manufacturers test to, getting a higher mAh rating for their specifications sheets, and advertising. No safety concerns if the batteries are used and charged as designed.

My battery philosophy is; if you buy enough batteries, you rotate them, and this way they last longer. Like rotating ones sneakers!

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
In terms of safety I don't think it matters, it is more of a battery lifetime thing. I personally usually allow my batteries to get down to the point the device cuts off and then swap them.

What he said.

Last edited:
cybrguy,
Reactions: KeroZen

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
As the batteries are essentially “consumables”, and affordable, I don’t bother attempting to monitor their current SOC (state of charge). As there is NO memory effect on lithium’s, I charge them to FULL = 4.2 volts, and most devices will shut down when the preprogrammed set CUTOFF voltage is met, usually 3.0-3.3 volts. On a quality charger, you can set the cutoff voltage manually, 2.5 volts is the low end that battery manufacturers test to, getting a higher mAh rating for their specifications sheets, and advertising. No safety concerns if the batteries are used and charged as designed.

My battery philosophy is; if you buy enough batteries, you rotate them, and this way they last longer. Like rotating ones sneakers!

I picked up https://www.18650batterystore.com/collections/opus-charger/products/opus-btc3100-v2-2 because it had 2 smilies (lol) on some pretty famous charger guide you've likely seen floating around the internet, and because 18650 recommended it. It can discharge batteries for me, but just down to a preset level (2.8V). I'm not really planning to monkey w/ that except maybe to try refresh mode if a battery seems notably short and I think I can eke another couple of months of use out of it or something. I mostly meant are there any advantages or disadvantages to e.g. pulling a battery out of my vape at 90% and popping it onto the charger, which automagically stops at 4.2V as you said?

RustyOldNail

I picked up https://www.18650batterystore.com/collections/opus-charger/products/opus-btc3100-v2-2 because it had 2 smilies (lol) on some pretty famous charger guide you've likely seen floating around the internet, and because 18650 recommended it. It can discharge batteries for me, but just down to a preset level (2.8V). I'm not really planning to monkey w/ that except maybe to try refresh mode if a battery seems notably short and I think I can eke another couple of months of use out of it or something. I mostly meant are there any advantages or disadvantages to e.g. pulling a battery out of my vape at 90% and popping it onto the charger, which automagically stops at 4.2V as you said?

I’ve seen that charger, it’s supposed to be good, though I’m not familiar with it’s features.

I’m using the SkyRC MC3000 Charger/analyzer. The “refresh” mode for lithium batteries is a CHARGE-DISCHARGE-CHARGE cycle. This gets me the actual mAh of the batteries. There is NO charger mode that is going to give any extended life to a lithium battery! There is a NiMH “refresh” mode, that can help those batteries.

To answer you last question: NO ADVANTAGE
How will you know the battery is at 90% discharged?

As the batteries are essentially “consumables”, and affordable, I don’t bother attempting to monitor their current SOC (state of charge). As there is NO memory effect on lithium’s, I charge them to FULL = 4.2 volts, and most devices will shut down when the preprogrammed set CUTOFF voltage is met, usually 3.0-3.3 volts.
This makes sense to me but I've read on a number of websites that fully charging the battery "stresses" the cell and keeping it at high voltage shortens its lifespan. I'm more interested in safety rather than getting the absolute maximum number of charges and have read that a fully charged cell could be more volatile than one that is only charged between 4.0-4.1 volts. Maybe this isn't so important if one has original cells that have a high enough CDR for the device you're using and you take good care of your batteries but I'm kinda paranoid in this regard and feel a bit safer only charging my batteries to a maximum of 4.1 volts. Btw, I can definitely say now that the Sony/Murata VTC5A cells stay cooler than the Samsung 26 JM after a session but I'm still looking into desktop options for more peace of mind...

@gordontreeman: the Battery University is an excellent resource which some FC members in this thread recommended to me earlier and it's a great way to learn about battery safety and ways to care for your cells. The link below describes various charging strategies and how many cycles one can expect using these different approaches:

I'm still looking for a fireproof box to store my cells and it seems that you can actually charge your batteries while in the box which seems like a good idea for extra safety. Has anyone tried the "bat safe"?

RustyOldNail

This makes sense to me but I've read on a number of websites that fully charging the battery "stresses" the cell and keeping it at high voltage shortens its lifespan. I'm more interested in safety rather than getting the absolute maximum number of charges and have read that a fully charged cell could be more volatile than one that is only charged between 4.0-4.1 volts. Maybe this isn't so important if one has original cells that have a high enough CDR for the device you're using and you take good care of your batteries but I'm kinda paranoid in this regard and feel a bit safer only charging my batteries to a maximum of 4.1 volts. Btw, I can definitely say now that the Sony/Murata VTC5A cells stay cooler than the Samsung 26 JM after a session but I'm still looking into desktop options for more peace of mind...

@gordontreeman: the Battery University is an excellent resource which some FC members in this thread recommended to me earlier and it's a great way to learn about battery safety and ways to care for your cells. The link below describes various charging strategies and how many cycles one can expect using these different approaches:

I'm still looking for a fireproof box to store my cells and it seems that you can actually charge your batteries while in the box which seems like a good idea for extra safety. Has anyone tried the "bat safe"?

I just received the BAT-SAFE. Bought the medium sized box on sale for $59. It’s designed to charge LIPO packs inside the box, with charger outside the box. My charger has a fan, and like most single cell bay chargers NEEDS airflow to dissipate heat, I would NOT use a charger inside the box!
I bought it just to store my spare lithium batteries. Peace of mind purchase.....

@fifty_shades_of_green
Still around..... ?

I just received the BAT-SAFE. Bought the medium sized box on sale for $59. It’s designed to charge LIPO packs inside the box, with charger outside the box. My charger has a fan, and like most single cell bay chargers NEEDS airflow to dissipate heat, I would NOT use a charger inside the box!
I bought it just to store my spare lithium batteries. Peace of mind purchase....
How do you like it so far? Is it better constructed than most fireproof steel boxes? I can see the sense in charging LIPO packs inside and having the charger outside but this doesn't apply to the kind of 18650 cells we're using and could be really dangerous without heat dissipation as you mentioned...

Speaking of heat and airflow, I came across some articles that mentioned that Li-ion batteries can "off-gas" while in use or when charging and that's a good reason for vapes to have vents in the bottom of the battery chamber. Do most portable vapes have tiny air vents on the bottom of the battery chamber for the battery to breathe or to off-gas? (the Ace doesn't).

I came across something called the "Li-ion tamer" which is a rack monitor system for lithium batteries that alerts you before cells are going to fail but I think it's geared to much larger industrial scale usage of lithium cells than your average vaper. Still, it would be great if something similar to this exists for our community to check cells before something goes wrong...

I don't want to sound alarmist but FWIW, I think vape manufacturers need to do a better job of informing the public about the importance of handling portable vapes with care and taking precautions while using vapes on the go as is intended. I've read some articles which mentioned that "vibrations or some kind of shaking" unprotected 18650 cells inside a vape could make them unstable or cause the electrolyte separator inside the cell to be damaged--in other words, putting a vape into a backpack and going for a vigorous walk/bike ride or letting it slide around inside a bag/suitcase could all be a potential recipe for disaster...

I've been doing a lot of research into desktop solutions lately and think this is the way for me to go ahead. I hope that some safer types of Li-ion batteries or other alternatives to 18650s will be available to consumers in the near future...

fifty_shades_of_green,

RustyOldNail

How do you like it so far? Is it better constructed than most fireproof steel boxes? I can see the sense in charging LIPO packs inside and having the charger outside but this doesn't apply to the kind of 18650 cells we're using and could be really dangerous without heat dissipation as you mentioned...

Speaking of heat and airflow, I came across some articles that mentioned that Li-ion batteries can "off-gas" while in use or when charging and that's a good reason for vapes to have vents in the bottom of the battery chamber. Do most portable vapes have tiny air vents on the bottom of the battery chamber for the battery to breathe or to off-gas? (the Ace doesn't).

I came across something called the "Li-ion tamer" which is a rack monitor system for lithium batteries that alerts you before cells are going to fail but I think it's geared to much larger industrial scale usage of lithium cells than your average vaper. Still, it would be great if something similar to this exists for our community to check cells before something goes wrong...

I don't want to sound alarmist but FWIW, I think vape manufacturers need to do a better job of informing the public about the importance of handling portable vapes with care and taking precautions while using vapes on the go as is intended. I've read some articles which mentioned that "vibrations or some kind of shaking" unprotected 18650 cells inside a vape could make them unstable or cause the electrolyte separator inside the cell to be damaged--in other words, putting a vape into a backpack and going for a vigorous walk/bike ride or letting it slide around inside a bag/suitcase could all be a potential recipe for disaster...

I've been doing a lot of research into desktop solutions lately and think this is the way for me to go ahead. I hope that some safer types of Li-ion batteries or other alternatives to 18650s will be available to consumers in the near future...

My understanding is while any battery can “vent”, the main concern is if the battery is contained in a SEALED device, with no vents. That’s why the BAT-SAFE has the top hole vents. Every ECig mod I’ve ever owned has VENTS in the device in case. Try blowing into your devices battery compartment with NO battery, and you will probably find there is some airflow.

Seeing as these batteries are used in electric cars, like 5,000-7,000 individual batteries in sleds, I’m not concerned with them vibrating. They are pretty solidly made, but like anything, if abused they become news.

The BAT-SAFE seems ok, the “steel”, is very thin. I’m only using it for cell storage, and as I don’t expect any spontaneous combustion, it’s just added piece of mind. If one had the time and desire, you could make something similar. Thanks for posting that product.

Green Kiwi

I've read some articles which mentioned that "vibrations or some kind of shaking" unprotected 18650 cells inside a vape could make them unstable or cause the electrolyte separator inside the cell to be damaged--in other words, putting a vape into a backpack and going for a vigorous walk/bike ride or letting it slide around inside a bag/suitcase could all be a potential recipe for disaster...
MMM, but who want's unprotected cells anyway?
But to give you some examples how I use my S&B portables, yes in the backpack and I go for day long bush rides on a motorbike,Laying in the back of my car on a hard floor while I'm playing 'rallydriver on our corrugated metal shite back roads.(NZ).taking with us when going fishing in a dingy offshore and I can tell you that's bone crushing shit ;crossing the bar to get out., or when the wind picks up on sea.
So in my humble opinion those vibrations don't hurt that bad, (how about electrical steps?....)

The only thing I have learned since 2014 is that they do not like being, charged in low temps, say bellow 0'C. which is also mentioned in the manual. and if you use it in those cold temps it also better to try to heat the device a little up in your warm hands before using:2c::peace:.

not attacking you at all, just sharing my thought's and experiences .

My understanding is while any battery can “vent”, the main concern is if the battery is contained in a SEALED device, with no vents. That’s why the BAT-SAFE has the top hole vents. Every ECig mod I’ve ever owned has VENTS in the device in case. Try blowing into your devices battery compartment with NO battery, and you will probably find there is some airflow.
I tried that but couldn't see/hear any air come out of the sides or anyplace else but there seems to be a small space between the latch on the bottom of the battery which might allow some airflow. I try to take the battery out after a 5-7 min sesh and let it breathe/cool a bit before increasing the temp and repeating for another round and repeat... Do vapes with built-in batteries like the Crafty, Mighty or Pax have visible vents? Just for comparison, the phones that I've owned with non-removable batteries and an electric toothbrush all seem fully sealed but I assume the Li-ion cells that they use all come with some kind of integrated protection and they also don't have a tiny oven that produces a lot of heat....

The BAT-SAFE seems ok, the “steel”, is very thin. I’m only using it for cell storage, and as I don’t expect any spontaneous combustion, it’s just added piece of mind. If one had the time and desire, you could make something similar. Thanks for posting that product.
Glad that you like it. :) Anything that gives one more peace of mind is a good investment.

MMM, but who want's unprotected cells anyway?
But to give you some examples how I use my S&B portables, yes in the backpack and I go for day long bush rides on a motorbike,Laying in the back of my car on a hard floor while I'm playing 'rallydriver on our corrugated metal shite back roads.
AFAIK, all portable vapes with removable batteries use unprotected cells and that's why manufacturers say they shouldn't be used outside of battery packs. I wasn't aware of all the potential dangers of removable 18650s when I was looking for a portable vape to buy last summer--I thought not being able to replace batteries was a reason to avoid vapes with built-in batteries but having that integrated protection gives one greater peace of mind... Having said that, does anyone know if any portable vapes with removable batteries have any sort of protection apart from switching off if the cell drops below 3V? It would be great if some vapes/battery chargers had the ability to detect a bad cell that was about to fail like the "Li-ion tamer" monitoring system link that I sent earlier...

It's good to know that your S&B portables can withstand all that shaking and moving around on those back roads rides but I think the fact they're non-removable batteries gives one an extra layer of protection. It might also be worth mentioning that most of the newer cells tend to be INR which are supposedly "safer" than the older ICR kind of batteries from a few years ago. The Samsung 26 JM battery which came with my vape was ICR and had a relatively low CDR of 5.2 and that sucker got far too warm after a 10 minute sesh for my level of comfort and that was before I knew what I know now. 😨

Stay safe everyone!

oldfool

Scary moment last week. A 30 cell 18650 pack caught fire on me.
It was caused by a loose connection and only the wires and connector were burning, not the cells. Whew.

Scary moment last week. A 30 cell 18650 pack caught fire on me.
It was caused by a loose connection and only the wires and connector were burning, not the cells. Whew.
Wow, that sounds really scary! Glad you're ok! Did it happen while charging? Was there any warning or did the wires and connectors immediately catch on fire?

Your frightening experience shows what can and does go wrong with Li-ion batteries and is a good reminder that we all need to be prepared for such scenarios and play it safe as much as possible with these cells...

fifty_shades_of_green,
Reactions: Green Kiwi

oldfool

No, I was riding my e-scooter.
Loose connection caused some arcing that heated up enough to melt/catch fire to the
connector and wires. I yanked it out and threw it and caught the grass on fire. Stomped it out quickly.
Defective part, scooter already replaced.

No, I was riding my e-scooter.
Loose connection caused some arcing that heated up enough to melt/catch fire to the
connector and wires. I yanked it out and threw it and caught the grass on fire. Stomped it out quickly.
Defective part, scooter already replaced.
Sounds like a close call but it's great that you could get rid of it before anything bad happened. I've read about some e-scooters' battery packs exploding while being charged on a balcony in an apartment building and the strength of the explosion caused significant damage to the building and blew out some windows. Having said that, it's amazing that there aren't more explosions given the way people treat and dump e-scooters like Bird and Lime on sidewalks--they're exposed to the elements; everything from extreme heat to the sun and thunderstorms... They must be pretty robust to withstand that type of abuse and AFAIK they don't have any ventilation holes to let the cells breathe or off-gas.

I don't know if it makes sense to compare battery packs used on e-scooters to the 18650 cells used in vapes but it seems like they generally aren't subjected to such abuse (I hope people don't throw their vapes and batteries around) and they're also not used for such prolonged periods like the ones used in scooters and cars...

fifty_shades_of_green,

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
I am into e bikes and read about far too many battery accidents.

The problem is a lot of people want cheap and don't realize cheap also mean cutting corners on certain aspects concerning safety.

Their is even a problem with them catching fire while being shipped now.

scy123,

pjp-222

What are some reliable battery vendors in EU (apart from NKON - button tops sold out)?

pjp-222,
Top Bottom