18650 Battery Safety

Adobewan

Hi All,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know where I can get a manual for this charger,
"Snado Universal Smart Charger LCD Display D4"?
I'm hoping to test my batteries but don't know how to.
Thanks.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Just put a battery in and let it charge automatically. When finished try pressing any button to scroll through different parameters, a C button usually means channel (which battery) and the other will change readouts... you can't hurt anything.
To test capacity you must fully drain a battery first but if you just want the internal resistance (in milli ohms shown on the meter somewhere as mΩ) this is usually shown when charging or you can scroll to find it. A great battery will be around 50mΩ, a bad battery is anything over 300 and is usually on the way out.

Last edited:

Adobewan

Just put a battery in and let it charge automatically. When finished try pressing any button to scroll through different parameters, a C button usually means channel (which battery) and the other will change readouts... you can't hurt anything.
To test capacity you must fully drain a battery first but if you just want the internal resistance (in milli ohms shown on the meter somewhere as mΩ) this is usually shown when charging or you can scroll to find it. A great battery will be around 50mΩ, a bad battery is anything over 300 and is usually on the way out.
Thank you, thank you, thank you Les!

Adobewan,
Reactions: LesPlenty

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi my not entertaining a friendly relationship with the FC Search Engine.:bang:.. and I gave a look at severals pages here without to find the reply to my question, the same on Google and I'm starting to be a bit nervous with my computer, I don't like to have to scroll and clic and back and again... especially when it's Sunday morning!
So i'm asking a question many have probably answered before... sorry to be so lazy so here my story and question(s):

Yesterday evening I put my Uwell Mod with M22 under charge, I usually charge the battery on an external charger but I was already lazy and said "why not?"... 2 hours later the device and battery was very, very hot to the touch, nothing I noticed before even with the old Thermovape gear...
I immmediatly stopped the charge and opened the battery compartment to let the device and battery to colden, I didn't noticed any bump on the battery and it coldened in 15-20mn. The charger was a classic 5v-1.5A and it's usb-a. Could you explain me what happened? There was still 1/2 bar on the battery jauge (20-30% battery level I suppose).

I'm glad I didn't let this one on the charger overnight like it happens sometime... Do you think it's still safe to use the battery? The charging process wasn't finished when I stopped it but I don't remenber the numbers though....

PPN

Volute of Vapor
How old is the cell? Was it allowed to under-discharge at some point? (i.e get below 3V or even 2.5V?) Was it left fully charged for a long time? Was it left fully charged in high temperature?
Cell is 3/4 years old I believe, never got below 3.4v, never set fully charged and unusued for more than a week, never sit in high t° place like a car for long... Forgotten to say it's a Sony VTC6.
I would finish charging the battery in your external charger and let the charger tell you if it is OK.
Charger said the battery was 4.14v... I suppose this is means the battery to be still good although I'll check the battery again in a few days in order to know if battery keep the level of charge or if a self-discharge happen, I put another quasi-new vtc6 in the Uwell for now.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Sony cells have more punch but at the expense of lower cycle life. Being 3/4 years old it might be toasted already.

If it's resting only at 4.14V, and the charge inside the device was taking ages, I suspect the charge parameters were such that it entered some kind of endless loop, never reaching the termination condition due to the voltage dropping and never settling. I've seen it happen a few times (and hence why good chargers should also have a timer cutoff) I wish I could provide you with a better explanation.

But charging directly inside devices, where all heat is confined, can make everything appear quite hot after a few hours. So if it was taking longer than usual because it was not able to reach termination, that could be the culprit.

Last edited:

MDude

Can someone recommend a reputable seller for batteries in EU.
I am deciding between LgHg2 and VTC6. Is there a better battery than those ?

Already have 6 lg and one VTC6 but I see them losing power after 2 years maybe a little longer.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Being 3000mAh and high drain capable equals a shorter max performance life, the price of being safe IMO even if you are just using them in an OG Arizer Air.
I have VTC6 and LG HG2 that are both around 2600mAh after 4+ years of use....not bad for about $10ea when purchased(I think I had to get 4 at a time though:hmm:).
I have heard the Molicel suffers from the same shorter top-end performance life.
The Efest 3000mAh 20a CDR are supposed to be good but is made in China so the Japanese Sony or South Korean LG HG2 is probably still one of the best options...the biggest thing is to get from a reputable seller so hopefully, you get some EU options linked here soon.
Edit...These guys are supposed to be alright,

Last edited:

MDude

Being 3000mAh and high drain capable equals a shorter max performance life, the price of being safe IMO even if you are just using them in an OG Arizer Air.
I have VTC6 and LG HG2 that are both around 2600mAh after 4+ years of use....not bad for about $10ea when purchased(I think I had to get 4 at a time though:hmm:).
I have heard the Molicel suffers from the same shorter top-end performance life.
The Efest 3000mAh 20a CDR are supposed to be good but is made in China so the Japanese Sony or South Korean LG HG2 is probably still one of the best options...the biggest thing is to get from a reputable seller so hopefully, you get some EU options linked here soon.
Thank you for your answer. It looks like I will try to get LG HG2 or Sony.

badbee

Thank you for your answer. It looks like I will try to get LG HG2 or Sony.
The Molicel P26A and newer P28A are the recommended brand from "Mooch" who is a well respected battery reviewer from the ecig world with an elaborate test setup. Many high power vape users swear by them, the make of TinyMight switched to them last year based on customer feedback. They are made under a license from Samsung using their technology.

The LG and Sony cells are also excellent.

MDude

I was just about to ask which cells come with the TM now. Mine came with a VTC6.
Good to know there are alternatives.

MDude,

Notcoded419

I picked up https://www.18650batterystore.com/collections/opus-charger/products/opus-btc3100-v2-2 because it had 2 smilies (lol) on some pretty famous charger guide you've likely seen floating around the internet, and because 18650 recommended it. It can discharge batteries for me, but just down to a preset level (2.8V). I'm not really planning to monkey w/ that except maybe to try refresh mode if a battery seems notably short and I think I can eke another couple of months of use out of it or something. I mostly meant are there any advantages or disadvantages to e.g. pulling a battery out of my vape at 90% and popping it onto the charger, which automagically stops at 4.2V as you said?

Reaching way back, after long term use, how do you feel about this charger? I was just looking at it (same store too), and trying to decide between that and the $30 cheaper 2-bay Nitecore they suggest that has decent reviews. I figured rotating 2 in and out wouldn't be so bad, but I'm willing to pay a little extra for more convenience/reliability.

Notcoded419,

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Reaching way back, after long term use, how do you feel about this charger? I was just looking at it (same store too), and trying to decide between that and the $30 cheaper 2-bay Nitecore they suggest that has decent reviews. I figured rotating 2 in and out wouldn't be so bad, but I'm willing to pay a little extra for more convenience/reliability.
I’m still using it, and it’s been great! I don’t know if I need 4 bays all the time, but it’s nice having them when I need to charge a pair of double a’s for my mouse and an 18650 or two. Having independent channels is nice, and the time to full at 2a is absurd (under 40 mins, but as I have so a handful of batteries to rotate through I usually charge at 200ma to keep the heat down and theoretically ever so slightly increase the life). The testing features are also nice to validate the mah of your batter and that the internal resistance is still within normal operating params.

It’s possible a 2-slot would do all those extra things as well. Those are where I find most of the value comes from.

Last edited:

Notcoded419

garett

It's an excellent question that I asked myself as well. I did research the photos but could not find anything definite. More than likely, it was not just the heat but a combination of intense heat and faulty batteries. Bottom line is that intense heat is definitely damaging to the batteries and could be dangerous as well. I never leave my mods in my car (summer or winter) to protect the batteries and to avoid any possible dangers. Awareness + precaution = safety.
Sorry to bring this old Topic up, but i habe a question to that statement. If a batterie blow up in a hot car, why cant it blow up in a vaporizer where the heater is way hotter and next to the batteries.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Sorry to bring this old Topic up, but i habe a question to that statement. If a batterie blow up in a hot car, why cant it blow up in a vaporizer where the heater is way hotter and next to the batteries.

You're talking about a specific situation, the batteries didn't blow up because of the hot car, for one thing you don't know the condition of the batteries, the exact type of the batteries, how they were maintained, or the conditions within the car and what location when? There are so many variables, you can find many cases and situations where batteries have exploded when you're searching online, the thing is there are much more cases of them being perfectly safe without issue... It's easy to have proper battery care, just read up in these threads :tup:

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
I bought some vape-related stuff and they threw in a free battery.
Which is nice!
But on the wrapping of the battery it says:

'Fire hazard! Not for vape! Never install, carry or handle!"

So what do i do now? It's in my house but somehow I have to carefully dispose it, without carrying or handling it?
:lol:

I only have (or buy) Molicel and they don't have that statement. I'm sure it's fine to use it in a vape (or to handle it, with due care) but it's kinda strange to me that a vapeshop hands out batteries that specifically state they can't be used for vaping. Or is that a standard message on most batteries?
I'm gonna live dangerous i reckon and am preparing this battery to be vaped anyhow! ;):rockon:

XMAXVAPORIZER

Manufacturer
Hi, I believe it's a statment made in order to protect the brand if the customer misuse the battery, and they are aware it's pretty hazardous to use in a mechanical Mod in example... that's why the mention I believe.
This battery is pretty similar the one POTV selected for the Xmax/POTV V3Pro (samsung 32E), I have no doubts they are experienced enough to choose a good battery... for the v3pro, don't forget the 35E isn't a high discharge rate battery, so it's designed to fit a conduction based vaporizer, and not most convection vaporizers but it can fit our Xmax V3Pro since it's a 8A discharge rate battery and we designed our heater to be less hungry with power. So no worries if you use the battery for the purpose it's designed for.

Best regards!

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
This battery is pretty similar the one POTV selected for the Xmax/POTV V3Pro (samsung 32E), I have no doubts they are experienced enough to choose a good battery... for the v3pro, don't forget the 35E isn't a high discharge rate battery, so it's designed to fit a conduction based vaporizer, and not most convection vaporizers but it can fit our Xmax V3Pro since it's a 8A discharge rate battery and we designed our heater to be less hungry with power. So no worries if you use the battery for the purpose it's designed for.

Thanks for your reply!
So, if i understand correctly when i use this battery in my TP80 (or similar devices like say TM) the device won't work properly?
I do also have a V3pro but i find it strange they send me a battery without knowing which battery operated device i have (didn't buy the V3Pro there). Maybe it was send out by mistake as there was no reference of any "free gift" included...
Anyway, i'll use it as a spare for my V3Pro.

GoldenBud

I bought some vape-related stuff and they threw in a free battery.
Which is nice!
But on the wrapping of the battery it says:

'Fire hazard! Not for vape! Never install, carry or handle!"

So what do i do now? It's in my house but somehow I have to carefully dispose it, without carrying or handling it?
:lol:

I only have (or buy) Molicel and they don't have that statement. I'm sure it's fine to use it in a vape (or to handle it, with due care) but it's kinda strange to me that a vapeshop hands out batteries that specifically state they can't be used for vaping. Or is that a standard message on most batteries?
I'm gonna live dangerous i reckon and am preparing this battery to be vaped anyhow! ;):rockon:
Yeah don't use it for vapes
Citation :
15A is definitly too high current for this cell. The cell temperature is above 75°C (25°C ambient + 50°C temperature raise). Logfile says 87°C for A cell.

Buy molicels or Sony vtc6

The tetra p80 rocks.

ScyOne

Hi, I believe it's a statment made in order to protect the brand if the customer misuse the battery
Yup, I use batteries with those warnings in vapes all the time. As long as you know what you're doing is fine. Just some people may not know and do something dangerous.

So now if something was to happen the company can just say, it was on the label not to do that.

Top Bottom