• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

100% Decarb With The NOVA

MasterShake420

Alright everybody, I've received this little machine before the big Fourth of July weekend. For the Fourth, I decided to make some coconut oil and some chocolates from the oil. I weigh out 14 grabs of really top grade weed and pop it into the machine. Push the button and wait, unfortunately, I didn't make note of the time and had no idea when the cycle would be finished. As advertised, it had very little smell during the process. But, when it was finished I opened the unit to retrieve the decarbed goodies inside, the odor escaped and stunk up the house a bit. I need to remember to open it outside the next time I do it.

On to the next step, I grab 2 cups of virgin coconut oil, two teaspoons of lecithin and the decarbed bubs. Pop it all into the Magic Butter 2, hit 2 hours for butter and 160 degrees and off it goes. When it's finished, I pour out the beautiful green oil into some mason jars and do some cleanup. The oil is a nice green color with very few particulates. I seal up the three jars and pop them in the freezer.

The next day, I whip up some cocoa/coconut chocolates. 3/4 cup coconut oil , 3/4 cup of cocoa powder, 1/4 cup of honey and a pinch of salt. I pour the mix into three chocolate molds and freeze, when done I have about 96 pieces of chocolate.

Now I've made this before and know the proper dosage, so on the Fourth, I go into the freezer and pull out 4 pieces of chocolate and eat them all. An hour later I start to feel the buzz, and feeling quite happy with the batch. Two hours later I was wrecked, I so underestimated the strength of the batch that I had total couch lock. It would seem that the Nova machine did an excellent job of maximizing the THC in the bud!.

So I would definitely recommend the machine to all on this sub.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I wonder if you could decarb concentrate in a shot glass with the Nova? That would be cool.

macbill,

Monsoon

Thank you, I appreciate the recommendation. In my case, that isn't possible. Discretion is a necessity, and cooking random things at the stovetop provides little discretion.
I'm talking about one of these not the behemoth in your kitchen, you can proably operate it under your bed or on your desk as the case may be. The dimensions are listed as "13 x 11.5 x 2.5 inches", so that combined with a small steel vessel can be pretty discreet. Depending on your situation it may actually be more discreet since neither is commonly used for weed related purposes and you can easily explain them.

Monsoon,
Reactions: Throg

Throg

I'm talking about one of these not the behemoth in your kitchen, you can proably operate it under your bed or on your desk as the case may be. The dimensions are listed as "13 x 11.5 x 2.5 inches", so that combined with a small steel vessel can be pretty discreet. Depending on your situation it may actually be more discreet since neither is commonly used for weed related purposes and you can easily explain them.

Thanks for the clarification.
My misunderstanding sometimes wears my ignorance as a badge.

Krazy

Update, I am decarbing while taking the following pictures and posting this:

Shipping, packaging for shipping, and on the shelf packaging are very cool in my opinion and 5 stars from both a non enthusiast, mainstream and a technophile POV. Lightly padded FedX envelope with bubble wrap around the package inside. Round cardboard on the shelf packaging with inner padding. Nothing to indicate contents! The packaging as well as the size is generic and non descriptor. The item is the same dimensions as a 6lbs Costco Peanut Butter container.

edit: it is no longer letting my post picks. Even the pics I posted before that, to me, showed up as pics are no longer viewable as such.

Last edited:

Krazy

My new Nova is running as I type. It has exactly 2oz of kief and fine ground medical KB in it. It is idiot operated which is exactly what I was looking for. Fill it up, screw on the top, push the power button. It gets warm but not hot and would feel good in the winter.

Part of my interest in this thing is something that looks and feels like a super easy appliance rather than being science-e. I want to engage my family member that medicates in the process as well as being able to pimp the Nova to friends I help with cooking. Unless you have some state of the art kitchen gear (or use only AVB) you are loosing THC in the decarb process.

Sous-vide method.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CNT3M2/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018SBD65S?psc=1&smid=A3AIH167BY5FIS

90 minutes in and the red light is still on but the Nova is almost cooled dow... Just turned green! Full disclosure: I freaked out a bit when it wasn't done at exactly 75 minutes, lol. makes sense that 2oz of powder takes longer than 1/2oz of bud. Inner metal container is quite warm but not hot removed less than 1 minute after completion. Very faint amount of mist droplets on the inner silicone lid when removed.

Keep in mind I'm using water cured bud harvested less than one month ago in a high altitude <10% humidity environment. 56.7g starting weight, after weight of 53.3g. Zero smell with the Nova and myself in a small enclosed environment with me unscrewing the lid to take a whiff at the 1 hour mark. I expect that the weight drop would be higher if your flowers were over 50% humidity to start with. And while water cured removes much of the smell I have a freaky sensitive nose. Strong enough that I tracked by scent under the right conditions in the military. So I do believe the Nova is odorless while running to a normal sense of smell even with stinky bud.

A light "whack" on the edge of my 1/2L Miron glass jar got most my powder out. I didn't want to be in the habit of whacking it harder and eventually denting the metal so I used a small whisk to remove the powder from the bottom. No smell detectable at any time.

Throg

Krazy, thank you for the updates!
I'm anxious to get me Lift. I ordered it last Thursday. I know they say 2-3 weeks, but I'm hoping to be lucky and it arrives within a week. Either way, excited to get it!

wootze

Progress report. My Nova so impressed a fellow disabled vet that he bought one. they both run the same time and temperature and produce the same result. I'm moving soon, my friend stays here so we needed two of these jobs.

After several runs, the result is consistently the same. This result has not been duplicated in an oven by me, ever.
For me at the moment the main benefit is lack of odor.

In the event you missed the information, the Nova can be shipped to a non medical state if you order the 'herbal' variant . Same machine, same color, same result. As far as cost, the device pays for itself in a few runs. The lack of odor could be the icing if it avoids a nosy (literally) neighbor diming you. How fucking expensive could that get?

Krazy

I am conducting 3 different test on my freshly decarbed powder:
  1. made a small oil batch in my stove top expresso maker and am now wrecked.
  2. will do a MB machine batch to match exact amounts of last non Nova oil.
  3. friend tests their grow with a local lab and I'v given them before/after bud to include.

It isn't for everyone.
  • If you vape a lot and only cook occasionally just use AVB.
  • If you have a pimped out kitchen Sous-vide works. But if you have a pimped kitchen you may well want one because gear!

But for for anyone that intends to cook a fair bit more than their AVB supply and doesn't have a Chef grade tech kitchen? I very much think it worth the $.

sickmanfraud

I love mine. I've made edibles (brownies) again with the same herb, same amount (one batch was decarbed by Nova, one batch no decarb) and people commented they liked the decarbed batch better. The butter was both made with Magicalbutter. I was the only one who knew the difference. I have run this test 3 times and people preferred decarb edibles ( meaning I had people say "these are stronger than those or I ate one from there and had to sit down, etc)

I don't know much about decarbing (still studying up on it) but I see the difference.

I think the Nova is worth it. Mine feels sturdy and well made. Mine usually takes about 1hr 15min to finish. No hassles and extremely easy to use, very low maintenance. The only thing that is flimsy is the lid for the container you put the herb in. Sometimes the overall lid doesn't catch at first but nothing to get upset over. I guess $260 is too much to make your herb stronger. I've had mine since March and I feel like it has paid for itself already. Plus there is 0 smell when using this. I had it running in my friend's kitchen and no one even gave it a second look.

Comparing decarbed vs. non-decarbed edibles is not at issue.

I would like to see side by side test results.

Prove that NOVA decarb is better than 240 F for 40 minutes in the oven and then you may have something to say.

Also, is there any supporting science for your claim that decarbed cannabis placed sublingually would work for pain?

sickmanfraud,

Throg

Comparing decarbed vs. non-decarbed edibles is not at issue.

I would like to see side by side test results.

Prove that NOVA decarb is better than 240 F for 40 minutes in the oven and then you may have something to say.

Also, is there any supporting science for your claim that decarbed cannabis placed sublingually would work for pain?

I'm sure the comparison side-by-side between the Nova and an oven has a minor differentiation (unless the Nova website illustrations about THC yield are correct, then you are at an efficiency loss). Certain dependencies would accentuate those differences, such as: sustained, accurate, and consistent temperature, odor production, ease of use, and consistent, overall decarboxylation. The Nova website does have some cartoon graphics illustrating THC yield percentages, but I did not see any side-by-side experimental data.

I'm sure you can achieve those results with an oven. But, not all ovens are alike and have good temp control, even heating, and consistency. For myself, odor control and compactness are important. I cannot use an oven, so it is out if the question. For you, it might not be. So, don't get the Nova if your oven works well.

Lastly, administering medication sublingually, or buccally, is not new, and is used for some medications in pain management. There are mucosal membranes packed with capillaries, allowing the bypass of the GI tract. That allows a faster delivery to the circulatory system. There is also the benefit of consistent dosing, titration, a short period for pain relief (~15min), a longer period of pain relief than Vaping/smoking (contingent on the person), and not all people want to, or can, vape/smoke/eat their medication. There are numerous papers discussing sublingual/buccal medication administration, and are easily searchable. Many are from the NIH, so take what you will from that.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I ordered one the 6th. Nary a peep out of the company. I sent an inquiry, and perhaps all is well.

macbill,

Throg

I sent an inquiry on the 14th, I ordered the Lift on the 7th, and Omari responded back that day affirming the 2-3 week delivery time and that I will receive a tracking info.
Well, nothing yet so far.

Last edited:
Throg,

wootze

I ordered one the 6th. Nary a peep out of the company. I sent an inquiry, and perhaps all is well.

All is guaranteed well and you will be very pleased with your purchase.

"Good things come to those who wait"

wootze,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
It is unusual for a company to not answer an email requesting shipping date and manner of shipping.

I have some trips planned in the very near future, and I need to know how they ship so that I might manage my delivery should they eventually ship it. No answer yet to my reasonable request.

macbill,

Throg

As of today, it has been two weeks since my order, and still waiting/hoping for an email, a surprise at my doorstep, something, anything.

The wait is made worse by the fact that I'm trying to provide relief to a family member, and all available decarb methods at hand are insufficient, inaccurate, wasteful, and/or unable to be used.

I hope it arrives sooner than later.

Throg,
Reactions: macbill

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Did they mention how it was shipped? I'm going on vacation, and I need to know in case they ship when I'm gone. They haven't yet responded to my inquiry. Stoners don't always make the best business people.

macbill,

Krazy

Shipping is via FedX using a 14"x12" padded envelope with nothing indicating contents.

Krazy,

Ganja O

Hey we’re glad to see that this thread continues to gain traction and appreciate the discussions and feedback. We also wanted to thank our early adopters for supporting us during this exciting but chaotic startup phase and are really touched that you can see that we are dedicated to making a difference in this industry and pushing for more people to have access to this awesome plant. A few responses to some questions we saw pop up:

I wonder if you could decarb concentrate in a shot glass with the Nova? That would be cool.

You absolutely can ☺ you can also use multiple shot glasses to decarb different strains of kief, rosin, or hash at the same time.

I'm sure the comparison side-by-side between the Nova and an oven has a minor differentiation (unless the Nova website illustrations about THC yield are correct, then you are at an efficiency loss). Certain dependencies would accentuate those differences, such as: sustained, accurate, and consistent temperature, odor production, ease of use, and consistent, overall decarboxylation. The Nova website does have some cartoon graphics illustrating THC yield percentages, but I did not see any side-by-side experimental data.

For our initial decarb guide (something that was intended for wide audiences) it was important to present the data in easy to understand and digestible form, hence the illustrated graphs. Of course we have raw data, and since there have been requests here, we are happy to share those testing results. We’ve developed a section of the site that we’ll continue to update as we continue our R&D on Nova and the new products in our pipeline.

Click here to see the data: http://www.ardentcannabis.com/sample-test-results

A summary of what we’ve added so far:

Comparison of Oven, Toaster Oven, and Nova Decarb

Raw Cannabis Max Potential THC: 18.1%
Oven Decarb 240F for 40 minutes Max Potential THC: 15.3%
Toaster Oven Decarb 220 for 60 Min Max Potential THC: 12.2%
Nova Prototype Decarb Max Potential THC: 17.9%

Here we see a significant loss of THC in both the oven and toaster oven decarb. However, the results using the same temp settings in a different oven could just have easily shown a failure to convert all of the THCA. The point is that ovens aren’t constructed to maintain the precision in temp needed for a full and protective decarb but instead easily swing above and under the tight parameters required for complete decarb with no loss. While there may be some folks who are getting good results after trial and error, monitoring, using high-end ovens, temperature probes, who may not care that much if they are experiencing some loss - having an easy, foolproof (and smell proof) way to know the decarb is being done right is exactly what many patients need.

*Also note when reviewing that early Nova prototype achieved 95% decarboxylation. The process was further refined during development to currently deliver full (>97%) decarb each time.

Nova Shatter Decarb (for the concentrate lovers)

Raw Shatter Max Potential THC: 72.2%
Decarbed Shatter Max THC: 79.2%

Shatter can become slightly more concentrated during decarb due to the evaporation of residual solvents.

Nova Flower Decarb 2

Fresh Raw Plant Max Potential THC: 15%
Decarbed Flower Max Potential THC: 16.9%

When decarbed, fresh uncured flower also becomes slightly more concentrated due to the evaporation of moisture during the process.

Nova Flower Decarb 3

Dried and Cured Raw Plant Max Potential THC: 18.8%
Decarbed Flower 1 Max Potential THC: 19.2%
Decarbed Flower 2 Max Potential THC: 17.7%

This third testing set demonstrates the natural plant variation that will be observed in some results. As a natural product, slight variation in the plant material is to be expected, even slight differences within the same bud, depending on which parts of the bud were closer to the light, or whether a small piece of sugar leaf is attached to the bud, just as a few examples. In our observations, variations in the plant usually fall within +/-1.5% of each other. There are also variations that will sometimes display in comparing single testing results. In the lab setting, these standard deviations are accounted for by using multiple testing points.

The testing set above includes variations within the normal range. The raw sample testing at max potential THC of 18.8%, with the first of the two decarbed samples that are also from the same bud as the raw sample (decarbed together in the same device at the same time) testing at slightly higher max potential THC of 19.2% and the second decarbed sample at a slightly lower Max potential THC but with all falling within 1.5% of each other. Large differences, however, (especially reductions) in max THC percentage indicate loss during the process, as well as >1.5% differences that persist over multiple testing points.

Stay tuned for additional results added over the next few days.

Last edited:

Throg

Thank you Ganja O for that information. Just a FYI, I was not trying to be derogatory of the comparison information Ardent presented.

Throg,

Krazy

I am conducting 3 different test on my freshly decarbed powder:
  1. made a small oil batch in my stove top expresso maker and am now wrecked.
  2. will do a MB machine batch to match exact amounts of last non Nova oil.
  3. friend tests their grow with a local lab and I'v given them before/after bud to include.

I am a licensed medical user as are the guys I help out. With that in mind I'm rather anal about following the minutia of the law. So test number 2 isn't happening as that individual has waaay too much fudge in reserve already and I can't swap around.

Test results from Page Analytical gives 20.2% potential before Nova and 20% after using the Nova. This is especially impressive given that the flowers were stored at low humidity (water cured).

Krazy,

sickmanfraud

[QUOTE="Throg, post: 998450, member: 30599

Lastly, administering medication sublingually, or buccally, is not new, and is used for some medications in pain management. There are mucosal membranes packed with capillaries, allowing the bypass of the GI tract. That allows a faster delivery to the circulatory system. There is also the benefit of consistent dosing, titration, a short period for pain relief (~15min), a longer period of pain relief than Vaping/smoking (contingent on the person), and not all people want to, or can, vape/smoke/eat their medication. There are numerous papers discussing sublingual/buccal medication administration, and are easily searchable. Many are from the NIH, so take what you will from that.[/QUOTE]

@Throg, Thanks for your reply. I am quite familiar with sublingual and buccal dosing as a means of cannabis ingestion. I have been making 2-4 batches of Green Dragon tincture every month for the last 3 1/2 years.

My question was more related to taking cannabis without any carrier (lipid, ethanol. sugars) and getting a good result. I would like to see the science behind this. Perhaps have patients compare equal doses of an ethanol tincture to a filled t bag with decarbed cannabis and have them rate their pain levels. As a control you could also use cannabis that has had most of the kief removed. Same taste different results?

Even if I see the science, the Nova is too small for my usages as I frequently decarb 30 grams of one strain.

Perhaps a little bigger...a lot cheaper, maybe.

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,
Top Bottom