Discontinued Zion vaporizer

Edric al-Fali

I got mine on Friday. Number 91. Emerald. It has a nice retro feel to it. Overall, I am happy with it and have been using it all day. So far, I've swapped the batteries twice.

Unfortunately, those new batteries were all I had as far as Zion intended batteries. I had to charge it all evening and didn't get to try it until this morning. I also didn't ask to return the other charger, so now I have two chargers. I guess that's nice. It sure helped when charging four batteries.

So my initial impressions are that it is well constructed. People complaining about the cosmetics has only made me aware that this is even a problem. I also paid 199 as I got mine at the end of the early crowd.

For the price, I have a different complaint that might clear up with practice. I'm satisfied with the covers and magnet strength. I am most happy with the fact that it's not horrendously top heavy like the Milaana. I feel I would like the Milaana better if it were a better shape. Mine is already broken from a nasty tumble. but i digress

It hits nicely. It does get hot, however, and the batch can get that harsh taste even on a fresh batch. As far as I can tell, it cooks evenly. Stirring it, I don't notice any hot spots. I'm still testing it out to find the right draw speed and heat. I haven't combusted yet, but I am trying to avoid it, so I haven't actually pushed the heater in terms of heating time.
So far I've been using it around "80 percent" power with average 5 second preheats and mild soaking. As it stands: I am fairly underwhelmed with the power of the heater.

Let me get into more detail about what I think of the heater as it's not so clear cut. It is super efficient and I am very pleased with the open air path; draw restriction is annoying. Keeping this in mind, I understand that I have to make my draws slower.
I had some errands to do and this thing gave me strong hits the whole morning on the same batch. I keep the screen pushed up as close as it can go, so my batches are small and close to the heater. Lets say, 30ish or so minutes of cloudy hits every few to 10 minutes.
Next batch was with someone else who never uses vaporizers. He was happy with how well it worked.

I'm having a hard time getting everything out of it extraction wise. For comparison, another cheaper wooden vape with a little 20 watt heater can blacken a load. There are a host of reasons why this is so, but at the moment, I can't get the Zion up to par.

I am pleased with battery life. I don't have much for comparison other then the FW3. The Zion takes longer to charge, but you can swap the batteries and it does last longer.
Everything else is trivial. I wish the poker was steel so I could stick it on the cover while I'm using the Zion. I put a second washer on the cork cover so the thumb screw doesn't destroy it. I also would have liked a manual of some kind. There are preferences to how the batteries should be treated, but I only know that it's best to keep pairs together.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I got mine on Friday. Number 91. Emerald. It has a nice retro feel to it. Overall, I am happy with it and have been using it all day. So far, I've swapped the batteries twice.

Unfortunately, those new batteries were all I had as far as Zion intended batteries. I had to charge it all evening and didn't get to try it until this morning. I also didn't ask to return the other charger, so now I have two chargers. I guess that's nice. It sure helped when charging four batteries.

So my initial impressions are that it is well constructed. People complaining about the cosmetics has only made me aware that this is even a problem. I also paid 199 as I got mine at the end of the early crowd.

For the price, I have a different complaint that might clear up with practice. I'm satisfied with the covers and magnet strength. I am most happy with the fact that it's not horrendously top heavy like the Milaana. I feel I would like the Milaana better if it were a better shape. Mine is already broken from a nasty tumble. but i digress

It hits nicely. It does get hot, however, and the batch can get that harsh taste even on a fresh batch. As far as I can tell, it cooks evenly. Stirring it, I don't notice any hot spots. I'm still testing it out to find the right draw speed and heat. I haven't combusted yet, but I am trying to avoid it, so I haven't actually pushed the heater in terms of heating time.
So far I've been using it around "80 percent" power with average 5 second preheats and mild soaking. As it stands: I am fairly underwhelmed with the power of the heater.

Let me get into more detail about what I think of the heater as it's not so clear cut. It is super efficient and I am very pleased with the open air path; draw restriction is annoying. Keeping this in mind, I understand that I have to make my draws slower.
I had some errands to do and this thing gave me strong hits the whole morning on the same batch. I keep the screen pushed up as close as it can go, so my batches are small and close to the heater. Lets say, 30ish or so minutes of cloudy hits every few to 10 minutes.
Next batch was with someone else who never uses vaporizers. He was happy with how well it worked.

I'm having a hard time getting everything out of it extraction wise. For comparison, another cheaper wooden vape with a little 20 watt heater can blacken a load. There are a host of reasons why this is so, but at the moment, I can't get the Zion up to par.

I am pleased with battery life. I don't have much for comparison other then the FW3. The Zion takes longer to charge, but you can swap the batteries and it does last longer.
Everything else is trivial. I wish the poker was steel so I could stick it on the cover while I'm using the Zion. I put a second washer on the cork cover so the thumb screw doesn't destroy it. I also would have liked a manual of some kind. There are preferences to how the batteries should be treated, but I only know that it's best to keep pairs together.
Awesome review and write up man. Much appreciated. Very well said.

Just as a reference to your experience with RBT products, have you used a Milaana? Just curious

HD Springer

Very good review and it pretty much sounds perfect. The only question I'd have is that it doesn't sound like your heater is running properly. Quite possibly the rheostat isn't letting the heater get hot enough to vape properly. Power is the one area I've always found the RBT design to not be lacking. 50 wats should blacken any and all loads when running at full temps.

I do think there should of been some sort of manual just so people don't feel like there guessing at what's going on.

I will say anytime I run a fresh stem or screen I always do a fairly heavy pack at first. It creates the ideal draw restriction that I need to get full extraction from the load.

Edric al-Fali

Just as a reference to your experience with RBT products, have you used a Milaana? Just curious

You already know that I've used it. I wrote a review of it. Actually It was a comparison to the FW3 as well. I think I posted it in both respective threads.
Kinda similar to this guy.

50 wats should blacken any and all loads when running at full temps.

This. I think mine goes to 11. So 1 through 10 are ok, but that extra bit bumps the heat up quite a bit. I'm still being careful. Right now, I am trying to push my heater at full power.

It's at that point where it could be me or the heater. Even compared to the Milaana, but once again this isnt a fair comparison because it was unregulated. I'm using a different level of caution with a new toy.

I'm running the vape at full power right now. It's brutal hard work, but I'm committed to testing this vaporizer all weekend.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah, that's what I have been using too. I'm thinking about making an account now, tho, as I often wish I had links to older posted images. I often find myself looking though long threads for links to images I had previously posted or just re posting them to imgur to save time. Then again, not being in a legal state maybe I don't want to be tied to those images.
Decisions decisions.
I suppose I should do whats safest and keep doing what I have been doing.

Heh, sorry for the OT rambling. Still on the first cup... ;)

vaperdog

A little cooler than I thought. As tasty as I hoped. You guys can char with this? 20second hold and tasty vapor but no black. I blasted 3 bowls and charged. How many bowls you avg? (per charge) Any lower than 80% power no clouds.
This is whats happening to me also. full power and cant get it to char. Also batteries needing charged after 3 bowls

grokit

well-worn member
A little cooler than I thought. As tasty as I hoped. You guys can char with this? 20second hold and tasty vapor but no black. I blasted 3 bowls and charged. How many bowls you avg? (per charge) Any lower than 80% power no clouds.
This is whats happening to me also. full power and cant get it to char. Also batteries needing charged after 3 bowls
I'm right there with both of you, this is how my unit performs as well. I've had it for while now, still debating whether or not to send it back in to ryan to see if my power curve can be improved. I do like it, but prefer to use my milaana which really surprises me. After all this waiting I wanted to be blown away by the power...

:sherlock:

AJS

Calm Consistency
These posts about cool units are quite disheartening. Hope things improve. I want to be able to combust on max temp. I want max temp to be like my super hot v1 Milaana. Bring on the power!!!

edit: WOAH we aren't in upcoming and unreleased anymore ... again! Congrats guy, we made it ... again!!

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

HD Springer

1 or 2 complaints about a lack of power and I feel it could be an issue with technique. But to be honest it sounds more like an issue with the way the units are running. Especially the comment of a 20 second preheat on the button. In that amount of time it should be running at full power. I would give Ryan a call or drop him an email and ask the man himself.

After all that's what makes these vaporizers so fucking kick ass imo. It's all that nasty ass make your grandma shit herself POWER!!!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
1 or 2 complaints about a lack of power and I feel it could be an issue with technique. But to be honest it sounds more like an issue with the way the units are running. Especially the comment of a 20 second preheat on the button. In that amount of time it should be running at full power. I would give Ryan a call or drop him an email and ask the man himself.

After all that's what makes these vaporizers so fucking kick ass imo. It's all that nasty ass make your grandma shit herself POWER!!!

Yeah that does not sound right to me, even with my betas which are tuned one hot one cold, I can still char in the cold one if I want to easily at the upper levels. Plenty of battery life in that one just as well as the hot one too, so yeah I'd get in touch with Ryan any who experience this. Technique can only account for so much, it really shouldn't be that tricky imo (at least it didn't seem to be for us early owners and testers, that I can recall, when it was a very new experience for many of us). Good luck, hope it is all sorted out to everybody's satisfaction, at least its good to see a few new users who seem to be up and running alright, who knows how many more are out there in silence too...

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Have you guys checked, if batts are fully charged and are properly inserted making good contact? Have you cranked the dial all the way up? Have you preheated at max for 5 secs, no draw? Then release and immediately re-press while beginning to draw slowly for 10-20 sec (for example)...
If you feel more comfortable, use a water tool to try this. Repeat, repeat.
You should ruin your load pretty quickly due to the raw power.
Unit should go to around 220C in 5 seconds.

Hope it's just a technique thing and you're being cautious not to go too far.

Peace

Last edited:

Healthierlifestyle

I'm with all the new users. Was underwhelmed with the experience as of late. charging some lg hg2's and we shall see how it goes.

In regards to the product and cosmetic defects. I'm personally fine with mine the way it is. Allows for a unique personal piece for each individual. But to each there own.

Back to the lab tonight for more testing! :brow:

TeeJay1952

Have you guys checked, if batts are fully charged and are properly inserted making good contact? Have you cranked the dial all the way up? Have you preheated at max for 5 secs, no draw? Then release and immediately re-press while beginning to draw slowly for 10-20 sec (for example)...
If you feel more comfortable, use a water tool to try this. Repeat, repeat.
You should ruin your load pretty quickly due to the raw power.
Unit should go to around 220C in 5 seconds.

On website, on piece of paper, this knowledge is key! Device is great but info, as simple as it seemed to you, is of paramount importance. You don't know what you don't know till you know it.

After waiting and drooling and fantasizing about unit I was pumped up beyond belief. By the time it got here there was no function that could satisfy my pent up expectations. I know this is a personal failing but it happens nonetheless. It didn't eliminate racism, poverty or sexism. It just vapes weed away from the plug. something I never did to my satisfaction before. On demand. few words but to a log lover honeycomb big. Flavor to savour and a bunch of punch. Very happy with my purchase even though I am still unclear what I ordered and what I got. (Any info on Gold package in private message appreciated.) I knew going in Ryan was an engineer attempting sales and that there would be bumps as he discovered that making and marketing is as difficult as design. This is a great day in TeeJayland and I thank Ryan and all concerned who brought this dream to fruition. :rockon::myday:

Edric al-Fali

I know with the Firewood, it takes some practice to get good hits. That little 20 watt heater can char and combust on low heat settings once you've figured out how. It was my main unit until last friday. The Zion isn't nearly as difficult to figure out.

I think in my case, it's a question of technique. I also think we were sold a bit much on the power and our expectations are unnaturally high. Grandma shitting herself power is pretty much what we were expecting. I got appreciable and more than acceptable heat with little effort, but I'm not smoking at 70 percent power.

There does seem to be a steep climb in power from 80 to 100 percent power with mine. If it's underpowered, it's not effecting me anymore. I can blacken a bowl if I try.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
On website, on piece of paper, this knowledge is key! Device is great but info, as simple as it seemed to you, is of paramount importance. You don't know what you don't know till you know it.

After waiting and drooling and fantasizing about unit I was pumped up beyond belief. By the time it got here there was no function that could satisfy my pent up expectations. I know this is a personal failing but it happens nonetheless. It didn't eliminate racism, poverty or sexism. It just vapes weed away from the plug. something I never did to my satisfaction before. On demand. few words but to a log lover honeycomb big. Flavor to savour and a bunch of punch. Very happy with my purchase even though I am still unclear what I ordered and what I got. (Any info on Gold package in private message appreciated.) I knew going in Ryan was an engineer attempting sales and that there would be bumps as he discovered that making and marketing is as difficult as design. This is a great day in TeeJayland and I thank Ryan and all concerned who brought this dream to fruition. :rockon::myday:

I know with the Firewood, it takes some practice to get good hits. That little 20 watt heater can char and combust on low heat settings once you've figured out how. It was my main unit until last friday. The Zion isn't nearly as difficult to figure out.

I think in my case, it's a question of technique. I also think we were sold a bit much on the power and our expectations are unnaturally high. Grandma shitting herself power is pretty much what we were expecting. I got appreciable and more than acceptable heat with little effort, but I'm not smoking at 70 percent power.

There does seem to be a steep climb in power from 80 to 100 percent power with mine. If it's underpowered, it's not effecting me anymore. I can blacken a bowl if I try.

Hey guys,

I'm glad you could get yours running. Totally agree about the missing manual. I didn't mean to sound that everything is easy and clear without any instructions.., not at all. Trying to encourage everyone to play around with it as operation becomes second nature very quickly, I find.
To be honest, I haven't set mine on 100% yet. Am more of a session guy and used to like the super low and low temps and having the unit heat soaked by doing a good bunch of hits. I was constantly starting taking draws right when pressing the button, so no preheat. Draw after draw, the unit gets hotter and hotter. Slightly but very steadily. I really liked that terpy setup and it felt like naturally temp stepping with it... I could get a nice browning but not too dark brown over time - always cleared a lot of residual heat at the end of each hit.
If you wanted to have the next hit a tad hotter, you could just depress the button after having taken the draw... I find the Zi offers GREAT versatility. Of course, one needs to know where to start from along with some basic usage knowledge.
Recently, I started turning the knob up to around 5:45. Oh man. Killing the bowl very rapidly...big punchy hits, that smack you hard. Even more after some hits. But with my session usage, and heat is being retained very,very well, it got so hot, I could blacken my load easily.
Also, it makes a difference, if you go thru water or not ... It affects the air flow and the speed the air is being drawn thru the heater.

I wanna pass some info from Ryan and sincerely hope this helps people having problems getting warm to it (pun intended :p):

Don't draw too fast, start drawing slowly and constantly.

Try to preheat, pushing the button for 5 secs without drawing. Then repress and start taking a good, long, slow draw.

Zion is almost free-flowing. If you need more restriction, put a finger over the air inlet to add some and/or preheat to get desired results.
Another trick is to put tape over the inlet and pike it with a tooth pick. Adds restriction and slows the draw.

The darker glass absorbs more radiant heat and isn't as efficient and takes longer to warm up.

The heat is on-demand but the device needs to warm up or it strips out much of the heat initially. Slower your draw, preheat and/or turn the knob up to cut heat up time.

Slow draw, max temp, 4-6 draws with some preheat should get the herb brown.

@grokit Hope you get the gist soon, too. Try to approach neutrally and patiently - I'm sure you're gonna be rewarded once you have your first nice session. From then on, your experience should be only better and better. Truly hope you'll make it. :)

Best greetings from Ryan to all of you, while he's working on the soon to be sent out Zions. So get ready for more :)
IMG_4571ffe78.jpg

Peace
:peace:

Edric al-Fali

The heat is on-demand but the device needs to warm up or it strips out much of the heat initially.
First off let me say that when I was looking for vaporizers originally, the push button to heat appealled to me. Even now, this is by far, my favorite form of activation.
After i had a draw sense heater on the FW3, I find myself mindlessly hitting the Zion without pressing the button.

Also, with regards to a manual, I remember reading that the zion has a preferred battery pattern. I know they like to be kept in pairs, but I don't remember if I am to keep left left and right right or do I rotate position?

As for heat and draw, I find that a slow hit to soak the bowl in heat works. Then I take a hard rip which seems to give a quick burst of heat before clearing/cooling.

AJS

Calm Consistency
One of these is mine!!!

Awesome post man, thanks for the help and wise words from Ryan.

Also .. not sure if this applies to anyone, just sharing an experience I've had with RBT products .. and I thiiiink others have had this too:

My Milaana took a few bowls and seshes until it really hit its full potential. It started off cool and a bit whispy but as the button was clicked more and more it turned into a perfect unit.

Maybe just give it some time, go through the motions, don't stress about it. Throw that baby on 60-80%, whatever's comfortable. Work it as a sesh. If first hit is whispy, that just means it's getting warmed up. Stick with 5 second preheats, slow draw, and doing repeated hits in a session. If after a good amount of seshes nothing changes, hit up Ryan with a phone call and describe your unit. I'm sure all will be resolved. Good luck everyone involved in this situation :D.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
First off let me say that when I was looking for vaporizers originally, the push button to heat appealled to me. Even now, this is by far, my favorite form of activation.
After i had a draw sense heater on the FW3, I find myself mindlessly hitting the Zion without pressing the button.

Also, with regards to a manual, I remember reading that the zion has a preferred battery pattern. I know they like to be kept in pairs, but I don't remember if I am to keep left left and right right or do I rotate position?

As for heat and draw, I find that a slow hit to soak the bowl in heat works. Then I take a hard rip which seems to give a quick burst of heat before clearing/cooling.

Yeah keep batts paired, but you can swap the batteries position (left or right doesnt matter, I even purposely rotate them to keep em more level, but its not super necessary to do so). Some do label them so they know they're paired and to keep track of position too.

Yeah I always say with any new vape, best way to become an expert is make it the only thing you use. It is easy to rely on what we are already used to, and it makes learning a new device (even one similar) trickier in my experience.

"The heat is on-demand but the device needs to warm up or it strips out much of the heat initially. Slower your draw, preheat and/or turn the knob up to cut heat up time"

^ this is important to remember, I love that session style of Zion, naturally heat soaking as you go no matter what setting your dial is on. You can also temp step turning the dial, turn the dial up first to get heat soaked quicker and then turn back down for session, or rip it higher temps too. Can also try preheating a few seconds at any setting before drawing to help with more on demand hits spaced far apart. I actually like to draw slow at first too, and increase along with the heater getting warmer, you can hold the button much longer here and the lower settings help keep it level so a long steady draw can yield massive dense clouds on very low temp power settings... Keep at it folks :tup:

Top Bottom