Zephyr Ion

Hammerzeit

http://imgur.com/qcdj6.jpg

Using the whip with the Ion. Not hands free but it works great. I use LB trench and less for whip sessions and it gets me where I want to be. :brow: This is actually replacing the LB as my go-to vape for bedtime.

Bruce; you guys should look into a on/off toggle for the LED backlight in the next revision. I unplug mine because I need a dark room to sleep - dunno if thats true for anyone else.

Hammerzeit,

Beezleb

I second Clever. When using a whip or just tubing on it to attach to a bong or to hit manually seems to wear this down even faster as well. Especially when using only the tubing.

Beezleb,

Braves2125

Clever User name said:
I believe what you are describing are the replaceable seals for the stem on the lid. I just grab it an pull it off -no polite way to do it. And then i wet the new one, an slip it on nice and easy. After a few hundred bowls I have found that the little ridges start to wear off. I replace mine every 3 months or so, You are right on track, i think. :2c: welcome to FC

Excellent. Changed it out tonight. Easier than expected. Where can I get more of the little circular screens?

Also, new here...but what is a whip? My Ion came with a bag and valve. ???

Braves2125,

islander

So what is the status on the whip? And the software? I was dissapointed to find that neither of them were in the zephyr box. Very happy with the vape though.

islander,

gman03

ok so I have owned a volcano, as well as a zephyr ion now, and i love them both, however the volcano worked perfectly with my AC/DC car adapter (120v), and my zephyr does not! as soon as i start the zephyr up, it shuts down the adapter. Is there a large amount of electricity required for startup? or what could be keeping me from enjoying my zephyr on the road ??? if i cant solve this i am definitely selling my zephyr to buy a volcano...

gman03,

Clever User name

The eyes have one language everywhere
Facing the same obstacle, my Zephyr was plugged into my battery back up that has a display on the usage. Seems we need more than 350Watt and 120v. When warming up the Ion it surged to 122 volts and 374 watts. Just thought this info may help.
dsc01776d.jpg

dsc017770.jpg

Clever User name,

Clever User name

The eyes have one language everywhere
Braves2125 said:
Clever User name said:
I believe what you are describing are the replaceable seals for the stem on the lid. I just grab it an pull it off -no polite way to do it. And then i wet the new one, an slip it on nice and easy. After a few hundred bowls I have found that the little ridges start to wear off. I replace mine every 3 months or so, You are right on track, i think. :2c: welcome to FC

Excellent. Changed it out tonight. Easier than expected. Where can I get more of the little circular screens?

Also, new here...but what is a whip? My Ion came with a bag and valve. ???

long, usually flexible draw tube ("whip") Like a hose on a hookah....through which
the user inhales the vapors, that also happens to reduce their temperature on arrival.
whip1t.jpg

oh, yeah and replacement parts on the official zephyr site.....http://zephyrvaporizers.com/store/partsaccessories-c-4.html

Clever User name,

abo27495

Im picking mine up tomorrow and was curious about the durability of the heating element. Can I leave it on all the time or constantly be heating it up?

abo27495,

Derf

Hey guys,
back from the dead! Just stopped by to say hi.

So where have I been? Well, I've gotten into two new television shows, my girlfriend moved in with me for six months, but is now moving out, my Ph.D has kicked up a gear and I'm now in the writing stages of my dissertation. The job market is thin, so I'm not exactly thrilled to be graduating this year, but I'm sooo done with school.

Anyway, I wanted to chime in on the vaporizer. I had my first Zephyr Ion for a few months (5-7?) before I started experiencing problems. The first problem I came across was that the internal silicone hoses that connect the different components together in the airstream had come lose, and my bags were taking a long time to fill: When I first got the Ion, it filled a bag in 30 seconds, but over time it was closer to a minute and 30 seconds. Since I had won my vaporizer in a Zephyr contest, I wasn't sure if I would qualify for warranty work, and Bruce gave me a go ahead to check inside the unit.

So the airstream goes from the base of the unit at the intake filter through a silicone hose to the pump, then through another silicone hose to the heating element at the top where the basket sits. At 3 of the 4 ends of the hose there is a small plastic elbow that facilitates the 90' bends the hose must make to/from the pump and to a small plastic nipple at the base of the heating element. The elbow at the base of the heating element was cracked and had popped off, so air was not being directly forced through the heating element, and therefore neither into the bag. The problem was probably caused by two issues:
1) the plastic body, including the hose-attaching nipple, under the heating element will obviously be under great heat stress from its proximity to the ceramic heating element. As most things expand when they heat up, if the plastic nipple expanded at a different rate than the plastic elbow attached there, it could split the elbow open (the plastic is very thin). This would then loosen the connection of the elbow.
2) Filling the bag to its maximum capacity would create a back-pressure; so instead of rupturing the bag from any over-filling, the loose elbow would be blown off from too much pressure.

One solution I thought was to just remove the elbow, and attach the silicone tubing directly to the heating element nipple, but I decided against its feasibility. While heating silicone tubing is relatively safe (I think), and I was pretty sure that it's flexibility would help keep it on the nipple as the plastic expanded, there was a problem . The main difficulty was that the nipple is positioned horizontally, parallel to the ground, and the tube is running vertically up from the pump. The tube would have to make a rapid 90' turn to mate with the nipple. The space is so small that the extreme nature of the bend would cause kinking of the hose and restriction of airflow - possibly resulting in blowing the hose off again from the nipple. Further, the nipple is very short, maybe only 0.25", so there isn't very much to hold leverage over the nipple, which has an outside diameter of about 3/8".

Bruce sent me some new elbows, and what I did was I put a short piece of 0.25" ID x 3/8" OD silicone tubing on the end of the elbow between it and the plastic nipple. It was able to hold the elbow on more securely and I wouldn't have to worry about cracking the elbow or blowing it off again.

The next problem that happened was that there was no vapor. It also turned out the heating element wasn't getting hot, despite the LCD turning green. Again, back inside the unit (which I don't consider you do unless you want to void your warranty) I discovered a transistor had broken off the circuit board. Not only that, but it had ripped the traces out of the circuit board, making re soldering very difficult.

I thought my little guy was down for the count. But Bruce called in the unit and set up a return tag for me. I had to find a box, but I shipped the unit back and Zephyr replaced it for me! I'm now using the 'newest model'. It came with the newer soft-poly bags that don't crinkle (I'm so fond of them, but be careful, they fill up without a warning sound like the oven-style crinkle bags, so keep an eye on 'em).

I'm really jazzed about Zephyr and Bruce's wow-factor for amazing customer satisfaction. Honestly, I don't really care that there was a problem with the product, because ALL products will probably experience some degree of problem that causes customer dis-satisfaction. If you're a good company you keep that % of problem units low, and for the people that do fall through the cracks with a problem, making them feel better really separates the companies you can put your trust in, recommend to others, and come back to, that makes all the difference...and is what we should all strive for, and look to do business with.

And maybe that is what will win back business to this country, which has slowly been eroded too much it seems recently. But I digress...

Thanks again Bruce! And thanks to Joe S for getting me hooked up with a new unit!!

Derf,

kaosman

I cant figure out the right temp for this thing. I start 370 and get a cloudy bag but then all the subsequent bags after arent cloudy. If I up the temp to lets say 380 or 390 its still not as great as the first bag. Am I doing something wrong?

Also how long is it supposed to take to fill a bag?

kaosman,

blackbur

kaosman said:
I cant figure out the right temp for this thing. I start 370 and get a cloudy bag but then all the subsequent bags after arent cloudy. If I up the temp to lets say 380 or 390 its still not as great as the first bag. Am I doing something wrong?

Also how long is it supposed to take to fill a bag?

Your doing nothing wrong, you've vaporized the most out of your load at that temp. its recommended to vaporize at least .5 and up.

when i use .5 i normally get two cloudy bags..and everything after that isn't as great.
You can turn up the temp to release more compounds, but the hits will become dryer/harsher/ less desirable in flavor.
bags should take anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute.

blackbur,

Beezleb

I typically stop at 2 bags and save the 3rd for swamp water or however one chooses to reuse their ABV. If you do not reuse your abv I would do the third the bag at a higher temp.

Beezleb,

abo27495

You guys seem to be getting a lot less out of your herb than I am. I start at 357 because someone here suggested that and it works well, then I up it to 365 or 375 depending on how much herb i put in. Lastly, I go about 184 or 185 to finish it up. And btw if youre only getting 2 or 3 bags out of .5, something is wrong.

abo27495,

Beezleb

really varies on the 3rd bag depending on quality I have and mood.

Depending on the day I will start 328f, 358, and 385-388. decreasing returns each bag.

On average I just go 358 and one at 388 or just 2 bags at 388, I can do 3 bags but I like to save it in my abv for later processing. I have slightly raised my temps than before and I tend to fluctuate over time on my temps.

Its not that I am necessarily getting anything less but spreading it around more.

Beezleb,

blackbur

abo27495 said:
You guys seem to be getting a lot less out of your herb than I am. I start at 357 because someone here suggested that and it works well, then I up it to 365 or 375 depending on how much herb i put in. Lastly, I go about 184 or 185 to finish it up. And btw if youre only getting 2 or 3 bags out of .5, something is wrong.

what i meant was 2 cloudy bags..bags with a lot of thick vapor/flavor. i can get more than 2 bags but the further i vape the less desirable the taste is in my opinion.

blackbur,

tinman

Do you guys/gals find that you use more or less biomass w/the ZephYr as opposed to smoking?

Myself I think I use more with the vapor Vs. smoke, but I am a chronic user as well and that don't help @ any rate :rolleyes:

PS/ you guys should find a whip and try it...a whole different experience if you ask me.

I like it! :o

tinman,

Braves2125

tinman said:
Do you guys/gals find that you use more or less biomass w/the ZephYr as opposed to smoking?

Myself I think I use more with the vapor Vs. smoke, but I am a chronic user as well and that don't help @ any rate :rolleyes:

PS/ you guys should find a whip and try it...a whole different experience if you ask me.

I like it! :o

I definitely wanna buy a whip in the near future for my vape. I tend to use more biomass when vaporizing but I definitely get more from said biomass than when smoking. I find anywhere from halfway full to topped off is ample enough to get just about anyone affected by the biomass.

Braves2125,

Braves2125

Also, I got a free VaporIcer with my Ion but still don't REALLY know how it is supposed to be used. It is a cheap little plastic one and not some steel one I saw on their website. Someone who is familiar with them please explain. Thanks in advance.

Braves2125,

jambolaya

I have a very low tolerance. And as I know, you should put at least .5g into the ion or else you vapor/air ratio is low. So I am wondering if I can put in around .1g, could I vape only .02g at a time then shut off the unit and repeat this 5 times from the same batch.

jambolaya,

tinman

danielofski said:
I have a very low tolerance. And as I know, you should put at least .5g into the ion or else you vapor/air ratio is low. So I am wondering if I can put in around .1g, could I vape only .02g at a time then shut off the unit and repeat this 5 times from the same batch.

I really don't believe there is any set rule on how much you should use...use whatever is best 4 U!

If you are like me, I am still experimenting with my new toY :D

tinman,

jambolaya

I know but I am wondering if I pack a bowl, do I have to finish it in one sitting, or can I finish it in the course of 2-4 days?

jambolaya,

Beezleb

danielofski said:
I know but I am wondering if I pack a bowl, do I have to finish it in one sitting, or can I finish it in the course of 2-4 days?

When you heat up/vaporizer herb it begins to go through some chemical changes that affects things. It would be my preference to finish the bowl but I am sure others would disagree with me.

Beezleb,

abo27495

I rarely use an entire bowl in one session. Just make sure not to leave your herb in the machine and you can use it for as long as you want.

abo27495,
Top Bottom