Yet another senseless death in the 'war on drugs'

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/18/utah-video-police-kill-man-drug-raid_n_810420.html (Link to the story)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV6Bq8xeQrU& (Link to the video)

*WARNING* The video footage provided may be rather disturbing to some viewers.

Utah police shot and killed a man within seconds of storming his parents' home, video of the raid shows. The police had a warrant to search for drugs, but found only a small amount of pot and an empty vial that had apparently contained meth.

Local media report that Todd Blair, 45, was a drug addict rather than a dealer, according to friends and family.

In the video, Blair can be seen holding a golf club above his head as police smash through his door. Within seconds, without demanding Blair drop the iron or lay down, Weber-Morgan Strike Force Sgt. Troy Burnett fires three shots into him. The local prosecutor has deemed the killing justified, but his family is planning a federal lawsuit, arguing that police had plenty of alternatives.

Blair's death raises the question of why multiple heavily-armed officers were sent to raid a drug addict -- and why Weber and Morgan counties in Utah would even need a "Narcotics Strike Force." Local police forces are able to keep property they seize in drug raids, often without the necessity of a conviction, creating a perverse incentive to reinvest in military equipment and carry out additional raids.

The Salt Lake Tribune reported that the main focus of the police investigation had been Blair's roommate, who police said in the application for the warrant would destroy evidence if they weren't given authority to carry out a "no-knock" raid. But police were aware that his roommate had moved out.

Police tried to detain Blair so that he wouldn't be in the house when it was raided, but pulled over the wrong person. Despite that mistake, and despite the knowledge that the roommate had moved out, the raid on Blair was still carried out. It was hastily planned, reported the Tribune, diverting from protocol. Burnett, who shot Blair, told investigators that it is "absolutely not our standard" to carry out such a raid with as little planning as was done, according to the Tribune.

It was so hastily carried out, in fact, that police forgot the warrant. According to the Tribune, in the video it obtained an officer can be heard asking: "Did somebody grab a copy of the warrant off my desk?"
Story continues below
Advertisement

Burnett replies: "Oh, don't tell me that." He then complains to the other officers: "He doesn't have a copy of the warrant."

Minutes later, Blair would be dead. "I didn't think about saying words. I just thought about not getting hit, or slashed or whatever," Burnett told investigators, saying that he thought the golf club was "a sword or something." He also said that it did not appear to him that Blair was moving toward him, an admission that could prove crucial in a federal criminal or civil case.

The killer, Sgt. Burnett, had previously told a law-enforcement magazine that he and fellow officers were trained to shoot quickly and at close range. Burnett had previously put the training to use by shooting and killing an armed suspect in 2008.

"Maybe a month before this [2008 shooting], we did our qualification and this kind of scenario was played out in live fire training where we had to quickly draw and fire at close range," Burnett said at the time. "It wasn't quite identical, but it was close. We were simulating taking down information and then all of a sudden had to drop it and fire quickly. I absolutely believe my training played a factor in this situation. I was always confident in my close-range shooting ability, and the ammo I'm absolutely pleased with. It did its job."

The below video of Blair's death, posted by The Salt Lake Tribune, is a graphic depiction of the type of raid that has become commonplace in the United States as a result of the militarization of local police forces.

AGBeer,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
That is disgusting. I'm appalled, and I simply cannot believe what I just saw. Those people are jokes, and should not be allowed to carry lethal weapons.

Blackthoven,

Beezleb

Im not really upset with the cop or the training they received. I am mainly upset those who planned and had this raid carried out even though they knew the one guy moved out who was really the target. I think the aspect about seizing the property might have some validity to it.

I hope the cops are held accountable for not announcing themselves when entering though but as far as shooting the guy, that aspect I think was bad luck with trigger happy pumped up cops. Those that made that situation happen need to be identified and a modern day tar and feathering with legal and civil actions. Wont happen but it needs to.

Beezleb,

djonkoman

I would grab something to defend myself too when I was suddenly faced with uninvited guests...
and especially if police would storm in this way without kinocking I would consider them burglars, and they didn't even give him the chance to think and drop it, so I think the problem here is definatly the policeman's judgement
ofcourse the people who plannwed the raid are also responsible, but the death of this person is in my opinion the fault of the police officer, he should've first try to make him drop the club, and if that wasn't succesfull try to ellimate the threat and only if every other possibility was gone shoot him, but aim at the knees
but in this case he shot 3 times, clearly not aiming at the knees but aiming to kill not disable, and the policeofficer was outside striking range of the club, so shooting, even at the knees, only would've been necesarry if that guy moved closer so the officer would be inside striking range

djonkoman,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
It is very sad that they will get away with this. If this had happened in my home, they probably would have shot my dogs. :(

Vicki,

Egzoset

Banned
I remember when i was younger we were told it was the police's duty to protect life, even that of those who might represent a danger for their own.

Egzoset,

Beezleb

Egzoset said:
I remember when i was younger we were told it was the police's duty to protect life, even that of those who might represent a danger for their own.

They say a lot of things when your young.

Beezleb,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I don't trust police and never have. Even two of my ex next door neighbors that I lived close to for 20 years. About 14 years ago, someone was shot/killed by police in my city, and one of the cops said (in reference to the fact that the person shot dead was a visible minority) 'too bad we didn't get em all' to me when I was outside cutting grass.

2 weeks ago I was stopped as part of a Christmas anti drunk driving program and given a citation for 'good driving'. I freaked out when I was stopped (was dead sober), freaked out when I was given the citation (told them I didn't want it), and freaked out later when I got a merit on my driver's license (the anti drunk driving program was set up so that they could instantly penalize your license, or reward it).

Not even sure if I've got respect for them.

Tom

tdavie,

lwien

There's a real fine line between the good guys and the bad guys. One has to wonder what the primary motivation is to become a cop in the first place.

With that said though, not all cops are bad cops so lumping them all together and throwing a label on all of them, in my opinion, isn't very accurate.

God forbid, if anyone here felt that there life was in danger and dialed 911 for help, you'd be praying for those guys who you don't trust to come save your ass, and then rather than pigs, they become your guardian angel. Could you imagine what life would be like in a big city if there were no cops?

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
God forbid, if anyone here felt that there life was in danger and dialed 911 for help, you'd be praying for those guys who you don't trust to come save your ass, and then rather than pigs, they become your guardian angel. Could you imagine what life would be like in a big city if there were no cops?

This really scares me, and I have a feeling it may become the norm everywhere. :(

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Resi...St-Clair-County-deputy-layoffs-114170129.html

(KMOV) Imagine calling the police for help only to be told there aren't enough officers around to assist.

This recently happened to a News 4 viewer in St. Clair County. This marks the first full week that the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department is working with 13 fewer deputies.

Deputies have been instructed by the sheriff not to respond to less serious crimes like alarms or even property crimes that are not in progress.

Some allege that is posturing by the sheriff, but the effect on crime victims is the same.

Dino Capps just got his truck window fixed Tuesday morning. It was busted out during a smash and grab at a MetroLink parking lot on Sunday. But when he called the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department for help, he was told that they could not send anyone because they were short-staffed.

Capps says he knew about the layoffs, but worries now what might happen if it's something more serious.

County board member Ed Cockrell fought against the cuts, and he wasn't surprised to hear what's happening.

"We've cut 38 percent of our patrol force in the outer county and unincorporated areas. You've got deputy sheriffs and small town police forces that won't have a back-up anymore," he says.

The layoffs took effect Saturday night at midnight. Sheriff Mearl Justus has ordered a measured response to all but the most serious crimes.

The deputies turned down their last contract offer due to wage differences. An elected official on the other side says it came down to money, and the county had to hold the line on expenses.

Vicki,

Egzoset

Banned
Now that i think of it, Beezleb, it's possible i was confused because of some super-heroe cartoons of the time.

Egzoset,

crawdad

floatin
its sad that this happened, seems there are many cases like it. lots of professions have their share of incompetence and abuse of privilege however most of them do not carry a license to kill.

can you imagine your door being knocked down and a swat team charging in on you while you were mile high? talk about a total buzz kill.

crawdad,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
Beezleb said:
Im not really upset with the cop or the training they received. I am mainly upset those who planned and had this raid carried out even though they knew the one guy moved out who was really the target. I think the aspect about seizing the property might have some validity to it.
I hope the cops are held accountable for not announcing themselves when entering though but as far as shooting the guy, that aspect I think was bad luck with trigger happy pumped up cops. Those that made that situation happen need to be identified and a modern day tar and feathering with legal and civil actions. Wont happen but it needs to.

I agree that those who organized the raid are also to blame, and perhaps even moreso. However, I feel like the officer who fired the shots is certainly the source of my discontent, after all it was him who simply murdered that man. Even if it were a sword rather than a golf club he wasnt charging forward or moving at all for that matter. I mean, come on, he has a sword, they have guns! The officers were far enough away that they would've had time to shoot him if he did indeed attempt to attack them.

That trigger-happy cop gave him no opportunity, and didn't even hesitate before deciding to shoot at him three times, he could've at least aimed for a non-lethal shot, such as his legs...I understand they're trained, but that was definitely a huge mistake. Obviously something is wrong with the way they train their officers or that cop is just a scumbag.

Imagine being shot by police in your own home... that is so ridiculous.

Blackthoven,

Gunky

The war on drugs doesn't stop consumption, funnels money to unsavory types, and costs way too much in lives and treasure. At this moment when most state and local governments are in desperate financial straits, reasonable regulation and taxation would be a dandy source of revenue, not to mention all the dough saved by not incarcerating absurd numbers of people...

I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir here. :D

Gunky,

Beezleb

I am with you but lets be realistic. I believe if I feel my life is in "risk" I am going to fire and not wait so much to ask questions and do measurements and whatnot first to make sure its ok.

I see it this way. Those who oversaw this fiasco should answer for it, for the most part. They in essence released the dogs and started a situation that was not even with merit as they knew the person was no longer living at the residence. That aspect needs addressed in my view. A serious issue depending what is stated in the warrant and leading up to it.

I am not saying let the cop go. Clearly they admit to not announcing themselves. This guy would not have known they were cops or if he was being robbed. The cops should answer for that and for that being integral an integral part of the issue he certainly has liability into a murder a charge of some sort in my view.

I sorta see the cops as dogs and its the masters of those dogs I want to see held accountable for sending them in the first place. Their is plenty of blame to share but I doubt anything happens and at best the family may be able to try for a civil remedy.

I am not sure it was a trigger happy cop or just a bad situation with barney fife.

Beezleb,

lwien

Beezleb said:
I hope the cops are held accountable for not announcing themselves when entering though ....

But they did announce when entering. In viewing the video, it was obvious that the cops yelled, "Police, search warrant. Police search warrant. Search warrant". So............3 verbal warnings happened before the guy with the golf club was engaged.

I'm not suggesting that the shooting was justified, but what is true is that this guy raised his golf club AFTER being warned 3 times. When cops bust into a dark house with people that may be armed AND high, they go in with adrenaline pumping, ready for an armed confrontation and when they come across a guy who is wielding something over his head in a threatening manner in a dark house AFTER being warned 3 times with the cops yelling "POLICE......SEARCH WARRANT, POLICE SEARCH WARRANT...........SEARCH WARRANT, it's kind of understandable how something like this can occur.

lwien,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
Beezleb said:
I see it this way. Those who oversaw this fiasco should answer for it, for the most part. They in essence released the dogs and started a situation that was not even with merit as they knew the person was no longer living at the residence. That aspect needs addressed in my view. A serious issue depending what is stated in the warrant and leading up to it.

Right, and I don't disagree with that. But again, they're trained for these situations and by doing so they should be able to remain calm and remain capable of making rational decisions. I know it is only human to fear for your life - usually. Of course, one would do whatever is necessary to defend their life even if it involves killing someone else. However, it simply wasn't necessary, the officer was backed up by an entire strike force. Furthermore, I'm sure the strike force was informed that whoever they were looking for no longer lived there as well as whoever else knew that information, so you'd think they wouldn't feel as intimidated.

I would again like to emphasize the fact he was given no opportunity. Essentially the cops opened the door, he ran over to the commotion perhaps with a fear for his life similar to what the officers were experiencing, and was instantaneously killed before he had the chance to assess the situation and prior to be warned to drop his weapon. That is certainly not their superior's fault, even though in essence the whole situation can be narrowed down to their superior.

Blackthoven,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Less police and less teachers... it's worth it to not pay that extra $50 in taxes...

people get so crazy over taxes and then wonder where the cops are? It would be one thing to cut down the police force due to, I don't know.. legalizing a drug that was previously illegal and costing tons of money and valuable police officers, and now not needing so many resources to fight said drug. But nope... instead we have cops killing people holding golf clubs over drugs, while they ignore a domestic disturbance call or whatever it is they consider "less important". Sad stuff to read.

There was no reason anyone had to die, or even be shot. Just fucked up.

aesthyrian,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
lwien said:
Blackthoven said:
I would again like to emphasize the fact he was given no opportunity.

Not true. See my post above.

How can you be sure that he heard clearly, he was in another room. Maybe all he interpreted was a commotion and a man yelling, considering he was probably not expecting a visit from the strike force anytime soon.

Blackthoven,

lwien

Blackthoven said:
lwien said:
Blackthoven said:
I would again like to emphasize the fact he was given no opportunity.

Not true. See my post above.

How can you be sure that he heard clearly, he was in another room. Maybe all he interpreted was a commotion and a man yelling, considering he was probably not expecting a visit from the strike force anytime soon.

They were yelling it pretty fucking loud. If you want to use the argument that the victim didn't comprehend what was being yelled at him, than that defense could be used against just about any situation where deadly force is applied.

Again, I'm not saying that this killing was justified, but under the circumstances, it certainly is understandable how something like this can happen.

The cop shouldn't have fired, but then, the victim shouldn't have have wielded a potential weapon in a threatening manner over his head. In my opinion, it's a tragedy that could have been prevented and the responsibility of that prevention lies both with the cops and the victim.

lwien,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
It's very possible he didn't hear clearly in this particular situation regardless of if it that can be applied to many other situations or not... and frankly, I'm just frustrated because this happens way too often, and it's a shame. It would most certainly be unfortunate if it were to happen to me, at least.

I'm not trying to determine whether it was justified or not either, even if it seems that way... just a little fed up is all.

Blackthoven,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Police also shouldn't yell "Police, search warrent" if they don't have a fucking search warrant. If the man had been sleeping in the room and awoke to yelling then the sound of a door being busted in, I would be surprised if he DIDN'T arm himself...I sure as hell would. I don't know if he was sleeping or not but its a possibility.

No doubt that cop was itchy on the trigger finger. That man was over 10 feet away when he was shot...and unless that guy uses a 7 foot long golf club I don't think he was a big enough of a threat to be gunned down over. That cop as killed before and killed again. He is a killer. Plain and simple.

finchrock24,
Top Bottom