Would Like Advice on First Vape (Plenty or Not?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Migrin

Perspective Nouveau
Hello all,

This is my first day as a member, and my very first post, so I apologize in advance if I inadvertently break any rules.

I am in the market for my very first vaporizer, and after doing tons of research (reading these forums profusely in addition to other sites), I still can't pull the trigger on a vape.

All signs seem to point me to the S&B Plenty, but I can't bring myself to fork over the cash without advice. Perhaps you all can help?

The following is what I am looking for:

• A heavy hitter (really important because I am transitioning from solely smoking to solely vaping, and I smoke a lot!). Need something powerful.
  • Must be able to use a whip
  • Simplicity (no stirring, the less parts to fiddle with the better, suitable for beginners, not a huge learning curve, etc.)
  • Price - don't want anything cheap but not too expensive either (approximate range is 200-500, but I'd like to come as close to under 400 as possible).
  • Not portable, but also nothing too massive or super heavy (a desktop version that I can pack and unpack, as I don't plan to keep it out when not in use)
  • A respected brand/manufacturer
As unattractive as the Plenty is to me, it has caught my eye the most because it seems that it would satisfy most if not all of the above needs (but I could be wrong!).

However, I don't want to overlook anything and would much appreciate some experienced input. Perhaps there is something out there that I am missing.

Thanks again!

Migrin,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
If you want the best heavy hitter, I'd fork over the cash and just get a Cloud. I notice that a whip is a requirement of yours, but unless that is for a good reason, I recommend the Cloud.

The Plenty has what I would consider to be a mouthpiece instead of a whip. If you really want a good whip vape, I'd go with the SSV or DBV or even the EQ.

Although I've never used a Plenty, I don't see many advantages that it has over other units in it's price range.

:peace:

Migrin

Perspective Nouveau
Thanks Stu. The Cloud looks awesome. I just wish that I could find it for some sort of discount, which is very difficult to do, since it is only sold on vapexhale's website.

I guess I should cap my price requirement at $400 (although $400+ units could be found for less, some are just harder/virtually impossible to find, like the Cloud).

I should have been more specific - a whip isn't a requirement per se. I just don't want to deal with bags.

Thanks again. Looking forward to more feedback!

Migrin,

tjktoke

I 2nd getting Da Buddha or Silver by 7th floor. The company has been around for a while, and the vapes they make fit your criteria well. One small downside is you may have to stir the bowl once or twice for completely even vapeing, but really isn't a burden with these vapes. I don't know if there are many whip vapes that don't require stirring anyways.

tjktoke,

OO

Technical Skeptical
The Herbalaire fits your description quite well. the learning curve is quite short, it is fairly inexpensive if you know where to look (usually half the price of the plenty), it's not designed as a portable, and it is not massive, nor heavy.
as far as simplicity is concerned, look no further, you don't need to stir, you don't even need to grind.

it comes with a dinky whip, but you can easily upgrade to many whip styles, also, you can direct draw through water pipes with it.

as far as heavy hitters are concerned, this is definitely one of them, but i suggest you also consider the points brought up in this thread.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/have-we-been-using-cannabis-wrong.7065/#post-275625

it is my personal opinion that small freebase-style pipes are the most effective, like the gnome or the ubie, even electrical versions like the log style vapes, as they are subjectively more desireable, with a different high that many people prefer. that being said, you can easily achieve smoking style experiences with the HA, just start at higher temps (above 365*F).

OO,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I don't mean to hate on the Plenty, but you can get a good whip vape like the SSV, DBV or even an EQ or Herbalaire for a lot less.

:2c:

Stu,

Migrin

Perspective Nouveau
All points well taken. I was considering the HerbalAire, but then I read somewhere on here that there is a compromise made with dual style vapes.

I should also mention that I'd prefer a vape that would allow me to heavily consume at once (big dose per session), as opposed to little-by-little throughout the day.

If there are vapes that do a significantly better job at curbing smell than others, I would love to hear about them (although I wouldn't want less smell to compromise heavy hitting, if that makes any sense).

Really appreciate everyone's advice!

Migrin,

max

Out to lunch
I was considering the HerbalAire, but then I read somewhere on here that there is a compromise made with dual style vapes.
I'm a herebalAire fan-used one a lot for a couple of years. But if you're not interested in using bags, I'd pass on any dual mode vape. Yes, they are somewhat of a compromise on direct draw unless you use bong/waterpipe assist.

The DBV is still, IMO, the best bang for the buck in a big hitter. I prefer the SSV, but it's more for ergonomics than performance. The DBV won't give you quite as rich a hit as the SSV, but it's more predictable, and if you like the idea of hitting w/one hand free.... and the SSV will require more stirring of the bowl, in return for the slightly higher vapor/air ratio.

If it were me, knowing what I know now, I'd get the DBV (be sure to check for member discounts- http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/retailer-discussion-discounts.1802/), and save up for a Cloud. The DBV will retain it's value very well if you decide to trade up, down the road.
If there are vapes that do a significantly better job at curbing smell than others, I would love to hear about them (although I wouldn't want less smell to compromise heavy hitting, if that makes any sense).
When it comes to big hits, it's all on you, and how much vapor you exhale, concerning smell.

max,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Honestly, if you're looking for a heavy hitter, I'd just save that extra money and go with the Cloud. Truthfully. It's worth it.

newVaper420,

max

Out to lunch
Honestly, if you're looking for a heavy hitter, I'd just save that extra money and go with the Cloud. Truthfully. It's worth it.
I certainly agree, if big smooth hits and no learning curve are a priority. I guess it depends on how a delay the extra $ would mean.

not a huge learning curve
The Cloud is the only big hitter with no learning curve, hit wise.

hoptimum

Within your budget, you could get a DBV and a Solo (for those times you'd rather not be tethered to a plug-in device). Both deliver good, clean, heavy hits with a minimal learning curve.

hoptimum,

Nycdeisel

I would also like to suggest the DBV or SSV, both are highly respected, quality whip vaporizers, and really the best whip types on the market in my opinion.

Nycdeisel,

Ontariovapes

Just to make your choice harder, I would recommend the ViVape. It does whip or bag, pulls great clouds, has a strong fan and heats up fast. It is $399.00 less discounts on most suppliers sites for FC members. I have an EQ, a Cloud and the ViVape, and this is my favorite. Vapor nation includes a nice water tool with it as well and there is a really nice case for it if you lie to put it away every time you're done with it.

OO

Technical Skeptical
The Cloud is the only big hitter with no learning curve, hit wise.
I would think that the HA would fit this description, it's very similar if used upside down in a water pipe.

the compromise with the HA is quite small, even nonexistant if you're using it in this style, the only compromise you would have to make is when using it with a whip, but why would you?

OO,

weedemon

enthusiast
the cloud is the best option imo as well. but if you really want a whip then I'd say get a DBV/SSV/LSV! (I had the SSV) that thing kicks ass!

weedemon,

max

Out to lunch
I would think that the HA would fit this description, it's very similar if used upside down in a water pipe.

the compromise with the HA is quite small, even nonexistant if you're using it in this style, the only compromise you would have to make is when using it with a whip, but why would you?
I covered that in my first post- "they are somewhat of a compromise on direct draw unless you use bong/waterpipe assist."

max,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom