who likes metal music?

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Lost in the fray in terms of recognition but at the time of the British Invasion they were huge and I even like their later LSD influenced material but early albums like Animalism and Animalization are incredible.

jeffp,

MajorDoobage

Stationary Traveler
@lwein: My thoughts exactly :D

I don't know what it was about the late 60's and early 70's, but music from that era is untouchable. There must have been something floating in the ether that enveloped and dictated creative musical minds to produce "bone music." Music that speaks to your soul and you feel in your bones. There's something special about music that transports you to another dimension and induces feelings of euphoria. That's just me anyway, I'm sure other people feel that listening to Justin Beiber or Puh-Puh-Puh Poker Face Puh-Puh Poker Face :lol:

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
lwien said:
MajorDoobage said:
The ranks include the likes of Cream, Black Sabbath, Blue Cheer, and even Jethro Tull. Frank Zappa experimented with some metal-esque material, as well as doing massive work in rock/jazz Fusion and electronic music.

This is the very first time that I have ever heard of Cream and Tull being considered Metal Bands. I agree with Black Sabbath and Zeppelin, but Tull and Cream? Hmmmm.......They both never seemed that "heavy" to me. To me, most of Tulls stuff was way too melodic with too many changing riffs to be considered "metal" and although Cream used to jam a lot, especially in concert, it was more on the jazz/blues side of rock than "metal". At least that's my perception. While they both may have had a few "metalesque" tunes in their repertoire, I wouldn't consider them hard core metal bands in the least. I think Clapton, Ginger Baker and Ian Anderson with his flute would agree.

Yeah Jehtro Tull won the first Metal Grammy, and if your are taking the fucking Grammy's advice on who or what is metal then you must be a very, very confused music listener.

Like seriously, Jethro Tull? I never knew that flutes were considered universally metal. Even thought many bands I listen to to incorporate orchestral elements.

And I can't believe RUSH wasn't listed, they are old enough right? I fucking love RUSH.

I love how metal just takes anything and completely masters it. I can listen to my 20+ GB's of metal music and come across all sorts of musical diversity that is never found in other forms of music. It's funny, metalheads seems to be some of the most open minded people musically, but everyone thinks of metal so closed minded. Lack of exposure to the biggest musical genre can do that to you.

aesthyrian,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Agree completely about metalheads being open minded musically as well as very practiced on their instruments. By the way if you like Jethro Tull pay Rahsaan Roland Kirk a listen and you'll discover where Ian Anderson "borrowed" his style and technique from.

jeffp,

MajorDoobage

Stationary Traveler
aesthyrian said:
Yeah Jehtro Tull won the first Metal Grammy, and if your are taking the fucking Grammy's advice on who or what is metal then you must be a very, very confused music listener.

Like seriously, Jethro Tull? I never knew that flutes were considered universally metal. Even thought many bands I listen to to incorporate orchestral elements.

Did somebody mention flutes and metal? My friends describe that song as epic flute music lol. Besides Anderson, Thijs van Leer is also a flute badass!

MajorDoobage,
Reactions: Enchantre

lwien

aesthyrian said:
And I can't believe RUSH wasn't listed, they are old enough right? I fucking love RUSH.

Yeah, I like RUSH too.

aesthyrian said:
I can listen to my 20+ GB's of metal music and come across all sorts of musical diversity that is never found in other forms of music.

Never found in other forms of music? Huh? :shrug: How 'bout Jazz? One of the most diverse forms of music, ever. How 'bout Airplanes, "After Bathing at Baxters" or anything by Zappa? How diverse are they when compared to mainstream music. When one compares music from the Dead to Traffic to Zappa to the Stones, all of whom are not metal but yet VERY diverse from one another, I don't understand the statement that metal music has more diversity than in any other form of music.

lwien,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Metal combines more influences from others genres than any other single Genre of music IMO.

And yes I listen to plenty besides Metal, but I am always in the mood for Metal. Always.

Metal, at least now a days, is one of the few Genre's where you can be completely experimental and still find a good fan base that accepts you, and more important actually understands what the hell is going on in your music.
I know plenty of metal than is poppy, jazzy, neoclassical, bluesy, country/southern, ect.. but they are all still metal in the end. To me that's what Metal is, experimentation taken to the extreme. Not for everyone, but then again some people say all metal is the same growling, blast beat double bass crap. Those people are ignorant though.

aesthyrian,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
aesthyrian said:
Metal combines more influences from others genres than any other single Genre of music IMO.
I dunno; the sampling used in a lot of rap music seems to win that accolade IMO.

(btw I'm not in to either genre, I'm very melody driven)

(edit- that being said, metal has even crossed over into my main genre for playing - ever heard Skyclad ? It's folk metal. Metal jigs and reels at times. Bizarre)

WatTyler,

lwien

^^ Yeah, I think music in general is a very diverse art form and that it's folly to say that one form of music holds the "diversity" trophy over all others.

lwien,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Ok we can't compare copying and pasting music (stealing IMO) to actual artist who take the time to study a style of music, learn it, and then apply it to Metal. That's a bit harder then sampling.

and if you are melody driven then get into Metal. Its fully of melodies. I listen to melodic metal all the time, it's my favorite. Remember, it's a HUGE Genre, that is popular all over the world. Tons of variety, not just screaming all the time and dissonance.

Sampling is lamer than a bar tribute band or cover band, at least those people had to learn the song.

MajorDoobage said:
Did somebody mention flutes and metal? My friends describe that song as epic flute music lol.

Very cool indeed.

aesthyrian,

MajorDoobage

Stationary Traveler
lwien said:
MajorDoobage said:
Did somebody mention flutes and metal? My friends describe that song as epic flute music lol. Besides Anderson, Thijs van Leer is also a flute badass!

Thanks for those links, Doobage. Never heard of them before, but I REALLY enjoyed that. :)
Glad you liked it! Thijs van Leer is better known as the leader of Focus (another great 70's band). The Gossamer Strand is a song by Devon Graves (AKA Buddy Lackey) who is better known for his work in the band Psychotic Waltz. I'm not a big fan of Deadsoul Tribe; The Gossamer Strand is a gem in an otherwise lackluster array of songs.

MajorDoobage,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Heh, well you had to have known i'd be poppin in here eventually ;) i love metal beyond words, ever since i was a kid. Favorites are really hard to choose, but here are some, based on how much i love their music and live performances both... well i guess its just the first few that i really put in any order, the rest are just listed as they popped into my head pretty much lol:

Bloodbath
Nile
Carcass
Opeth
Behemoth
Arch Enemy
Moonspell
Rammstein
My Dying Bride
Megaherz
Spiritual Beggars
Amon Amarth
Dimmu Borgir
Therion
Chimaira
Devildriver
Emperor
Strapping Young Lad
Cradle of Filth
Megadeth
Black Sabbath
Fear Factory
Old Man's Child
Hypocrisy
The Kovenant
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Meshuggah
November's Doom
Oomph!
Rotting Christ
Hate Eternal
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Aborted
Satyricon
Six Feet Under
Static-X
Vader
Devilish Distance

Id say i actually listen to Moonspell and My Dying Bride the most, because they're my sleep-time doom metal every night. Spiritual Beggars is my fav to listen to when vaping tho probably, Bloodbath, Behemoth, Nile and Arch Enemy are usually my driving/aggression favs, Megadeth, Sabbath, Cannibal Corpse and Rammstein are some of the ones ive been listening to the longest tho.

if i had to pick a band for the most talent, as far as composition and live performances, it would be Opeth. Ive seen them 4 times and its still not enough.

steiner666,
PRIMUS. And Les Claypool solo. Now that is a "contemporary" group with metal influences which have insane chops and a serious love for classic and eclectic music.

And yes, I think Tull has heavy "metal" influences depending on the album. Listen to Stand Up. Calling them a "metal band" may have been overstepping the reality of things, though!

Who else hates Metallica? Master of Puppets literally motivates me into a barely-contained monkey rage where I just want to smash whatever stereo is poisoning the air.

charliedontsurf,

SmokingElectricity

Metal was basically shoved down my throat at a young age. [In a good way.] I lived right around the corner from a club called Frank Cariola's Roxy music hall and was exposed to all sorts of good music at an early age, but mainly metal. Seeing bands like King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, GWAR, Testament, Type O Negative, Morbid Angel etc etc basically any metal band you could name played there. I was exposed to lots of bands I would have never got to hear otherwise. This made a dramatic effect on my mentality and musical tastes as a teenager. Sunday afternoon hardcore shows were some of my favorites though. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Speaking of doom/stoner metal...

any Cathedral fans? :ko:

SmokingElectricity,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Varying degrees of metal and plenty of the artists mentioned here. I briefly dhelved into the speed/death/grindcore scene when I was younger, but ultimately came to my senses :p

I still break out the older Nuclear Assault and Anthrax to help compliment and understand my S.O.D. even further. :p

Pestilence was another darker of the favs of mine. Ohhhh, that and OLD Prong. Those guys were fucking amazing.

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
SmokingElectricity said:
AGBeer said:
I still break out the older Nuclear Assault and Anthrax to help compliment and understand my S.O.D. even further. :p

why stop there???

M.O.D. - Bubble Butt/Spandex Enormity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba9wqSqk9-0

Oh trust me, I was a HUGE M.O.D. fan as well. (Although it was pretty much the Billy Milano project)
USA for MOD is still one of my all time favs. They softened up and pretty much did a 180 after that effort.
That was pretty much during the time of the SOD days - you can tell by the lyrical content.

AGBeer,

Kelblow

Does Space Rock count as metal?.Bands like Hawkwind are a massive influence for early punks i.e John Lydon,but their influence can also be heard in Techno and other genres.

Kelblow,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Kelblow said:
Does Space Rock count as metal?.Bands like Hawkwind are a massive influence for early punks i.e John Lydon,but their influence can also be heard in Techno and other genres.

Love love love Hawkwind - "Hall of the Mountain Grill" is one of my favorite albums. In a similar vein and from the same region/period is the Pink Fairies - in particular the album "Kings of Oblivion. I think it was Duke Ellington who said that there are only two kinds of music, good music and bad music. I pretty much agree and beyond that I tend not to classify.

jeffp,

Kelblow

Pink fairies also one of my faves.I know they aint metal but I gotta mention Gong too.Totally brilliant hippy psychdelic music.

Kelblow,

weedemon

enthusiast
steiner666 said:
Bloodbath
Nile
Carcass
Opeth
Behemoth
Arch Enemy
Moonspell
Rammstein
My Dying Bride
Megaherz
Spiritual Beggars
Amon Amarth
Dimmu Borgir
Chimaira
Emperor
Strapping Young Lad
Cradle of Filth
Megadeth
Black Sabbath
Fear Factory
Old Man's Child
Hypocrisy
The Kovenant
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Meshuggah
November's Doom
Oomph!
Rotting Christ
Hate Eternal
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Aborted
Satyricon
Six Feet Under
Static-X
Vader

i recognize a lil over have of those bands! seems me have similar taste i think will go though your list an get some more tunes :)

atm im listening to scar symmetry- artificial sun projection. wicked tune :)

weedemon,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Scar Symmetry is amazing. I was so lucky to be able to see them and Insomnium, which is another fantastic band, when they both played their first and up to this point only U.S. tour.

This was back when they had Christen, who was so amazing live. How someone can sing with such a huge range, and also completely master screaming is just beyond me. He was spot on, they all were. I like the two singer dynamic they are using now as well, and of course the music is always great.

aesthyrian,
Top Bottom