1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Whip Tubing - All Your Questions Answered!

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by vtac, Feb 16, 2011.

1. looney2nz

looney2nz Research Geek, Mad Scientist

anyone have experience with using a silicon whip on a DT 2.5 donut/mouthpiece?

what inner diameter should I shoot for? Think the arizer hose would work? (5/16ths)

2. Vape Donkey 650

Vape Donkey 650 All vape, no smoke please.

Hey tunes....I have been a huge fan of hooking up my DT donuts to all my rigs with glass elbows and silicon tubing. Makes this great little atty even better. :o

You can use a 1/4" or 5/16" hose for the v2.5 or pyrex mouthpiece for the DT donuts. It hooks up nice and snug.

If you're shooting for even greater airflow, you can attach a 1/2" ID to a v2.7 wide-mouth mouthpiece, but these larger hoses tend to be less flexible and don't bend as easily. Holding your DT atomizer upside down or at a significant tilt is not a good solution for this, because you will just end up splashing oil even more.

If you want the bigger hits with the 1/2" (and it's worth it IMO) you may want to get some 18mm male / male bent angled adapters or some sort of glass elbow to make a sharp bend on top of your mouthpiece. You may want two of these to make a double glass-on-silicon elbow, this is the most high-performance method to connect your DT atomizer to an 18mm input rig. :tup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The glass globe skulls are optional, but I like them for the extra vape viewing they provide. :nod:

looney2nz likes this.
  3. looney2nz

I just started gettin' my feet wet with the eVic VTwo Mini and DT 2.5, better walk first :)

Vape Donkey 650 likes this.
  4. Vape Donkey 650

That was a good tip! I've noticed since I switched from PVC to silicon hose, that the silicon tends to absorb and emit alot more odor from the reclaim and condensation that inevitably accumulates with use. PVC and silicon hoses will accumulate reclaim oil at about the same rate with the same use, but it seems a fouled up PVC hose is much less smelly. :hmm:

I did a couple of good swish' n rinses on my two silicon hoses I've been using for flowers with my EQ and DDave mod, with mostly water, a "pinch" of baking soda, and just several drops of lemon juice, barely a teaspoon probably.

Swishing and rinsing made alot of kushy odors come out, and then I water-rinsed and blow-dried clean with an empty EQ bowl, the old stale flowery odors are gone! :clap: Actually just a slight lemony smell remains :D

Completely neutral odor would be better, but lemon is certainly more pleasant than old reclaim, and it's very slight, probably won't even be noticeable during use through the water tool.

This will have to be a new maintenance cycle, every few weeks or months, after a few dozen sessions or so :shrug: sigh... more vape maintenance :doh:

That's good that you got it set up and you're on your way :tup: Once you've got the settings inputed, you learn how to load it up and use the correct puffing technique, you're in for alot of fun and benefit and medication! :science:

Then you use it a few more times and you're asking how do you clean this thing? :o :D

MinnBobber and looney2nz like this.
  5. looney2nz

<sigh> already been thinkin' of that! I can already tell just from the 'backsplatter' in the mouthpiece!
    but I now have to determine if this unit is faulty :(

I've got the TCR value set to to 245. I was wondering if this condition happens because I'm not drawing on the unit (the manual doesn't say and doesn't discuss the error I get), but I checked in the mirror last night and regardless of me pulling in a lung full, it repeatedly goes into a 'protection' state. This is with the temp set to 430F.

I tried getting an answer from the vendor, but whoever I got on the phone didn't know and just said 'send in a ticket through your account login'.
    I've been able to get a handful of good pulls off the thing, am I exceeding some value or is it just a funky unit? Anyone? Bueller?

It's good to know that there's a way to clean the tubing, although presently I surprisingly don't feel a burning need for it.

Vape Donkey 650 likes this.
  6. Vape Donkey 650

:D Ha, "protection" mode.... don't worry about that. It's really meaningless, totally normal.

The only thing it's "protecting" you from is really knowing how much the temperature can fluctuate during normal use. TC mods like these are not laboratory-grade precise, but they are still pretty damn accurate for a ~$40 dollar box that fits in your hand.

Most TC mods will have your coil temperatures fluctuate at least + / - 10F or 5C during normal use even under ideal circumstances. To "protect" you from knowing how much hotter over your target temperature your coil gets during the upward oscillations of these cycles, the screen flashes "protection"

It's no cause for concern. I've introduced dozens of people to vape devices of these types, but only a few have puzzled over "protection" mode :o :lol:

I don't expect you to check your donut surface temps with a thermocouple or nothing like that, but once you get a few sessions under your belt, observing before-and-after peeks at the donut, and vaping your sessions to completion (a visibly empty donut can be deceptively full of oil :suspicious:) you will get a feel for what settings you like best. And contrary to the dogmatic orthodoxy on the DT thread, it's perfectly fine to set the watts higher than 12w in TC modes, this will warm up the disc more quickly and help you vape the THCv you seek....

420F should do it, but like I said, it could take some fine-tuning. I'm wondering why you're seeking THCv specifically? :huh: In all my concentrates, that's a very fractional cannabinoid. Few products will even label for it, but some POP natural co2 oils I have in front of me (which are much better labeled than most products) say they only contain 0.23% THCv. This is a fairly typical level, from what I know. In the course of vaping up conventional oils on your donut, starting at a lower temp then raising it to finish up, you should vape up most or nearly all the THCv your oil has...unless you have some special THCv rich concentrate? :uhh: do tell.....

I hope people aren't being annoyed with this donut tangent on their precious whip / tubing thread. Looney, don't be afraid to dive into the DT atty's thread, you'll get many and quicker responses to your typical questions and avoid the pitfalls. :tup: Get the kinks worked out on the donuts so you can hook up your silicon hoses

(pun intended) :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    looney2nz and StickyShisha like this.
  7. looney2nz

I'm a fan of PopNaturals stuff. The THCv is just a curiousity.

Even if I'm pulsing the fire button, it will hit a temp and then 'protection' (and it's not hitting the temp I've set it for). I just picked it up and hit the fire button, it hit 109F and then protection (it's set for 430F), it only displays the temp for 1 sec before displaying protection :( When I viewed it in the mirror, it appeared to strobe between temps and protection (cycling each second) on a long pull.

Let's see what VapeNW has to say. I opened a ticket with them.
    I've been through the DT thread. That's how I arrived at the setup I've currently got.

Heard back from VapeNW, they issued an RMA, so it -was- faulty :(

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  8. looney2nz

sadly I'm STILL waiting on VapeNW to take care of a simple exchange, their RMA system needs a feedback loop, 'cause it's all handled in the 'over the fence' system :( (a customer support agent threw it over the fence, 'my job is done, I won't bother checking up on it and learning something'...) After getting nowhere with their phone assistance, their default was 'log in and create a ticket' :( Unless there is some daily review (which I doubt) there is no way to bridge from the online to the phone support folks so they can all answer questions equally well. This is a pet peeve of mine, as I've run some very large support organizations, and it irritates me no end when I see it being done poorly. Current ETA is tuesday, and that's with me bugging them, I opened the ticket with them on the 22nd (a day after I tried to use their phone support).

9. Vape Donkey 650

I'm sad to see you still tripping over the "protection" thing. :( It's really a completely normal, mundane thing on many TC vapes. Any TC mod you get from joyetech, eleaf, and many brands will do that during normal function on TC modes. Go search around other forums and sites about e-cigs and temp control mods if you don't believe me. :shrug:

With these kind of vapes, the temperature can ramp up pretty quickly, so once it has reached a temperature higher than you're calling for, it's kind of an embarrassment for the makers of these devices; the temps can hit higher than you want by a bit. So it says "protection" to protect them from showing how imprecise these things are. (they're still pretty precise IMO)

Another interpretation of "protection" : Since the vape has reached the temp target, it is "protecting" you from higher temps by reducing the wattage output to the atomizer. You can observe this by looking in the mirror or through the corner of your eye on the screen at the wattage output in real time.

Also, it seems that your wattage setting may be too high if it's reaching temp protection after one screen cycle. Are you at 75w? 12-25w is the best for the DT donut.

When you have the donut loaded up and the mod set to the proper settings and you take a nice draw, (ignoring what the screen says) and you get a nice, smooth, tasty, voluminous cloud, that should be the ultimate metric of whether your TC mod is working, not what the screen says. All that info on the screen is nice, but merely for confirmation. If all the info on the screen says the right stuff, during a hit in real-time, and my donut is loaded properly, but I don't get a proper vape cloud, then the info on the screen is meaningless.

I hope you can get over this and start enjoying your evic and DT donut, because it's a top-notch combo for concentrate vapes, IMO. Plus this is the thread for whips and tubing, and some other members might not appreciate the tangential issues too?

StickyShisha and looney2nz like this.
  10. looney2nz

capish.

I look forward to trying anew when the new one arrives (they did say it was defective, I sent them a video of it in action, with the protection error).

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors