Which portable vaporizer should I buy in 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reklaw420

Hello fellow tokers. I am wanting to leave smoking behind and start vaping. I have a MFLB but I rarely use it because my batteries suck and I want something more user friendly. My question is, which portable vape should I buy? I am sure this has been answered before, but I know there are thousands of vapes out there and technology is improving everyday so I figured I'd just start my own thread. The vape I am looking for must match this criteria, or at least most of it:
  1. Under $200
  2. Will be used only for dry cannabis flower, but the ability to vape oils and waxes is a plus but not necessity
  3. Quality vapor with dense clouds
  4. Preferably something that reaches the optimal temp. that THC vaporizes (around 440 degrees I believe)
  5. Durable
  6. Easily fits in pocket
  7. Easy to use, but don't mind LCD screens or full temp. controls
The vapes that I've been looking at that have caught my eye are the V2 Pro Series 7, the Kandypens K-Vape Micro DX, the Grenco G Pen Elite, and the Boundless CFX but if you have any other suggestions please don't hesitate! My biggest concern is for it to be under $200 and produce high quality vapor. I also don't want to learn new drawing techniques, I just want to be able to take a nice draw from it easily with not much restriction. Also, being able to charge it while using it is a plus! Thanks for taking the time and reading this!

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Hello fellow tokers. I am wanting to leave smoking behind and start vaping. I have a MFLB but I rarely use it because my batteries suck and I want something more user friendly. My question is, which portable vape should I buy? I am sure this has been answered before, but I know there are thousands of vapes out there and technology is improving everyday so I figured I'd just start my own thread. The vape I am looking for must match this criteria, or at least most of it:
  1. Under $200
  2. Will be used only for dry cannabis flower, but the ability to vape oils and waxes is a plus but not necessity
  3. Quality vapor with dense clouds
  4. Preferably something that reaches the optimal temp. that THC vaporizes (around 440 degrees I believe)
  5. Durable
  6. Easily fits in pocket
  7. Easy to use, but don't mind LCD screens or full temp. controls
The vapes that I've been looking at that have caught my eye are the V2 Pro Series 7, the Kandypens K-Vape Micro DX, the Grenco G Pen Elite, and the Boundless CFX but if you have any other suggestions please don't hesitate! My biggest concern is for it to be under $200 and produce high quality vapor. I also don't want to learn new drawing techniques, I just want to be able to take a nice draw from it easily with not much restriction. Also, being able to charge it while using it is a plus! Thanks for taking the time and reading this!
I would go with the Boundless CF. With the FC-1 discount code at puffitup.com it's just over $100.

It offers almost identical performance as the CFX but is much more pocketable. It doesn't go as high temp as the CFX, but I almost never use those higher temps on my CFX.

As far as the ideal vaping temperature that varies depending on what you're trying to achieve. 440°F is at the upper limit of vaping temps and very few of us go that high or even close to it. I'm usually in the 375-385° range, but sometimes I need higher temps. I still don't like to go over 420°-430° with flowers, usually it's 410° when I need high temps.

Vapor_Eyes,
Reactions: Morty

reklaw420

Thanks Vapor_Eyes! I will look more into the CF model. Someone on the Grass City forum suggested for me to get the Haze Dual v3. I haven't got a chance to really look into this one yet, do you have any thoughts on this? Also, are the CF and CFX identical to each other besides the increased temp. control and LCD screen on the CFX? Like are the insides and quality of vapor the same?

Is the reason why you don't go over 430 degrees because of the harshness of the hit, or because the flower might combust? I recently read a study that said heating cannabis at 392 degrees will vaporize 60% of the cannabinoids and heating it to 446 degrees will vaporize 77% of the cannabinoids. I really just want the most bang for my buck lol.

lwien

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Thanks Vapor_Eyes! I will look more into the CF model. Someone on the Grass City forum suggested for me to get the Haze Dual v3. I haven't got a chance to really look into this one yet, do you have any thoughts on this? Also, are the CF and CFX identical to each other besides the increased temp. control and LCD screen on the CFX? Like are the insides and quality of vapor the same?

Is the reason why you don't go over 430 degrees because of the harshness of the hit, or because the flower might combust? I recently read a study that said heating cannabis at 392 degrees will vaporize 60% of the cannabinoids and heating it to 446 degrees will vaporize 77% of the cannabinoids. I really just want the most bang for my buck lol.
There are several reasons I'm usually lower temp:

1. Flavor. The lower the temp the better the flavor, and the longer it lasts.

2. Safety. Toxic compounds begin to be released around 392°F. It's still safer to vape at high temps than smoke, but lower temps are safer. I usually use water pipes at higher temps which may help filter those toxic compounds.

3. Effects. Higher temps are more sedative and I don't always want that. Check out this thread for interesting info: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vaporization-temperature-dependent-selection-of-effects.1637/

As far as wasting material, you can save the stuff you vaped at lower temps, Already Been Vaped material (ABV), and vape it later at higher temps. You can also cook with it, make edibles, or even eat it raw. You can make concentrates with it but I've heard it tastes bad. Nothing gets wasted.

The CF is indeed basically identical to the CF except for the differences you mentioned. Also, the CF only has one battery instead of two, but it has the same battery life because it has no screen.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Haze, but I haven't used one. It is nearly twice the price of the CF.

I recommend a cheaper vape to start so you can figure out what features are most important to you. For example, the Mighty is a well respected vape and most people agree that it provides top notch vapor quality. It is also expensive. If you bought that for your first vape you may find that the heat up time is not fast enough for you, and you would have been better off with the Firefly 2 perhaps.

I say start small but high quality, if you decide on another vape later on then you will have a reliable backup.

Morty

My vote would be for the Boundless CF or CFX. There's alot of love for these two units on here and have received numerous great reviews elsewhere. Especially considering the price. If you end up going that route, PIU would be the place to go in my opinion.

As far as the Kandypens, I would suggest you do some research on them. Their known for their rebrands and use of questionable materials in their construction. While there are some people who like them, you certainly won't find a lot of love for them on here or reddit, for the reasons mentioned above. I've also heard/read their CS is a mixed bag as well. Just some food for thought.

Best of luck in your search and I hope you find the vape that's best for you and your needs.

reklaw420

3. Effects. Higher temps are more sedative and I don't always want that. Check out this thread for interesting info: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vaporization-temperature-dependent-selection-of-effects.1637/

This was an interesting read, I wonder how accurate this is. Looks like I'll be vaping around 230C! Haha..

As far as wasting material, you can save the stuff you vaped at lower temps, Already Been Vaped material (ABV), and vape it later at higher temps. You can also cook with it, make edibles, or even eat it raw. You can make concentrates with it but I've heard it tastes bad. Nothing gets wasted.

I was actually going to ask about ABV material. Is there actually enough THC left inside the ABV material to give off any effect?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Haze, but I haven't used one. It is nearly twice the price of the CF.

I can actually use coupon code KICKOFF at hazevaporizers.com and get the Haze Dual v3 for $199!! That's a $50 savings!:D:D

The one thing I don't like about Boundless CF and CFX is they only offer a 2 year warranty... Which isn't totally a bad thing if it's built well enough. G pen has a 1 year warranty, K-vape micro DX & V2 pro series 7 are both lifetime, and Haze duel v3 has a 10 year warranty.

I've seen bong attachments for both Haze and Boundless vapes which is very cool and would probably keep my vapor cool while vaping with high temps. I might go that route if I ever use high temps. I'd really rather not buy another higher quality vape in the next few years, so this one will be my main piece for a while. I'd like for my new vape to match my criteria as close as possible.

Do you think that the Haze Duel v3 would be a better fit for me than the CF or CFX? Is it a better devices in general?

reklaw420

2. Safety. Toxic compounds begin to be released around 392°F. It's still safer to vape at high temps than smoke, but lower temps are safer. I usually use water pipes at higher temps which may help filter those toxic compounds.

Do you mean toxic compounds coming from the flower or compounds coming from the material the device is made out of? I've heard of some vapes being built with lower quality metals and plastics that release harmful toxins when heated... Would the vapes that I'm interested in be considered safe?

reklaw420,

reklaw420

Their known for their rebrands and use of questionable materials in their construction.

Thanks Morty. I think I've eliminated the Kandypen. Any idea if the other vapes that I mentioned are built with lower quality metals and plastics that release harmful toxins when heated?

I've also heard/read their CS is a mixed bag as well

I'm sorry, I'm a total noob..... What is a CS?:\

reklaw420,

Morty

I'm sorry, I'm a total noob..... What is a CS?:\

NP (no problem ;)). CS is customer service.

Do you think that the Haze Duel v3 would be a better fit for me than the CF or CFX? Is it a better devices in general?

Both are really good devices. You'd probably do well to visit both threads and read a little to get some idea of the strengths & weaknesses of both vapes. Having said that, I don't think you can go wrong the Haze. Especially at that price. It really is the "swiss army knife" of vaporizers. It carries a 10 year warranty as you mentioned & the batteries are replaceable as well, unlike the CF/CFX. They're CS is top notch too. One of the best. What up @scottg402 :wave:. Feel free to PM him or ask in the Haze thread if you need an answer to any specific questions you may have. Did I mention the top notch CS. :lol:

Last edited:

reklaw420

NP (no problem ;)). CS is customer service.

Haha ahhh I see, that makes sense lol:doh:. I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to the CF, CFX, Haze, or the V2 pro series 7. Do you think I should go ahead and eliminate the V2? I will do some more comparing after I get off work today and will check out some more threads.

reklaw420,

lwien

Thank you reklaw. There's a link to the original study in your link above that provides so much info, that it deserves it's own link. http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/great-new-study.22639/#post-1020968

@ChooChooCharlie just pm'd me and reminded me that I posted up this same study back in January. God help me if I'm gonna be one of those old codgers that keeps repeating the same story over and over again. Fuck............!!!

Anyway, still a shout out to @reklaw420, for I am sure that there are many who never saw that study or like me, forgot that they saw it in the first place. :doh:

But yeah, I never vape at temps that high. Typically, I like to stay between 380-390F for a few reasons. One, is that it is healthier. Two, is that it tastes better. And three, I don't like the sedative affects brought on by those higher temps.

Morty

Do you think I should go ahead and eliminate the V2?

My :2c: ? Yeah, I probably would. Other members, please feel free to chime in if you disagree. I think you've narrowed it down to the best 3 options (CF, CFX, & the Haze) in my opinion.

but the ability to vape oils and waxes is a plus but not necessity

This. The Haze can do this like a champion, though it's more of a "session" experience (vape it till it's done) vs. a wax pen (take a hit as needed). Although the CF/CFX comes with a wax/concentrate pod, I can't comment to the effectiveness of it.

Last edited:

little maggie

I was just thinking that the Haze isn't recommended much anymore. There are some newer vapes out there- like the CFX- that are attracting a lot of attention. I have those but the Haze is still a very solid, easy to use vape. I only use flowers- not concentrates- but it is great with those. Not only can you have 2 filled canisters inside but prepack others which makes it easy to use away from home for a period of time without needing to stop and add more to it.

nihil

Member, Known Well
reklaw420 said:
I was actually going to ask about ABV material. Is there actually enough THC left inside the ABV material to give off any effect?

Hell yes. I vape around 380-395°f and infuse coconut oil with my ABV. Bake some cookies, eat them, and I am floored. I get more fucked up off of my ABV than I do my flower, but it's not the kind of buzz I prefer. Take note that I am a sativa guy and like the energy with my vaporized flower, and the ABV knocks me out with its CBD effects.

Only thing I recommend is to start off in small doses. I shrugged off the ABV as being spent, sprinkled a tablespoon on some food, and was fucked up on a biblical scale for a few hours.. not fun.

Morty

Do you mean toxic compounds coming from the flower or compounds coming from the material the device is made out of?

It's said that at 392 degrees farenheit & above traceable amounts of benzene, toluene, & naphthalene are found in the vapor.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Do you mean toxic compounds coming from the flower or compounds coming from the material the device is made out of? I've heard of some vapes being built with lower quality metals and plastics that release harmful toxins when heated... Would the vapes that I'm interested in be considered safe?
I mean toxic compounds coming from the flower. There are unsafe vapes but if you do some research and ask around here they are easy to avoid.

Vapor_Eyes,

reklaw420

@ChooChooCharlie just pm'd me and reminded me that I posted up this same study back in January. God help me if I'm gonna be one of those old codgers that keeps repeating the same story over and over again. Fuck............!!!

Lmao nice xD

But yeah, I never vape at temps that high. Typically, I like to stay between 380-390F for a few reasons. One, is that it is healthier. Two, is that it tastes better. And three, I don't like the sedative affects brought on by those higher temps.

That makes sense. The thing is is that I like the sedative effects lol. I guess I'll just have to do some experimenting and find my favorite temp. Thanks!

There are some newer vapes out there- like the CFX- that are attracting a lot of attention. I have those but the Haze is still a very solid, easy to use vape

Little maggie, have you used both the CFX (or CF) and Haze? Which provides a better hit? Would the Haze really be worth the extra cash? Also if anyone has tried it, which device operates best with a water pipe attachment?

Only thing I recommend is to start off in small doses. I shrugged off the ABV as being spent, sprinkled a tablespoon on some food, and was fucked up on a biblical scale for a few hours.. not fun.

This is very good news for me lmao. I will try this with my MFLB's ABV herb tonight! Thanks!

I mean toxic compounds coming from the flower. There are unsafe vapes but if you do some research and ask around here they are easy to avoid.

Good to know, thanks!

I think the biggest thing that I don't like about the Haze is that you must remove the battery to charge it... Which is one of the issues I am trying to get away from (MFLB). For some reason my MFLB's batteries didn't last very long. A few of them seemed to get very weak pretty quickly.. I'm sure I didn't take care of them like I should have though. I just don't want the same thing to happen to the Haze's batteries.

Last edited:

lwien

Hey, @reklaw, just a heads up. One of the rules here is no back to back posts so ya may want to go back and edit and combine those posts above into one and then put a pls delete on the blank ones being that you can't delete them, which, btw, I never could understand why we can't but hey, it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom