What's up with blue jeans dropping after one day?

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
What's the story with this? They fit great right out of the wash, but damn after just a few hours or the next day if I'm lucky they droop down and I have to keep pulling them up like the refrigerator repairman. Not fun; an unnecessary preoccupation. I usually, i mean I always wear cheap jeans - Land's End, Smiths, whatever, because even Levi's do not produce better
results. Is this just the way things are and you pretty much have to wear a belt?

jeffp,

Chiefer

Medicine Man
Dude i feel ya im pretty sure there is no jean company that makes my size atleast that ive seen. Im super skinny i was born with a killer metablosim and im pretty tall around 6 ft. So the only jeans that fit me are 30 31 or 30 30 im not sure what size my waist is but its not a 30. So I either have jeans that are of leg length and dont fit my waist without a belt or ones leg tight with my waist being tight also and i dont like tight jeans because its not comfortable. I like my jeans loose tho even if they did make my size but its a bitch having to keep pulling them up. Im really boney so it kinda sucks having tight jeans.

Chiefer,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If you're fucked up and you have to keep pulling your pants up it ruins the whole thing.

jeffp,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I'm actually a huge fan of duluth trading company, first pair of jeans that has lasted me more than a year.
"ballroom jeans"

they also sell extra long tshirts to cover for your pants falling down.

rabblerouser,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Jesus, the prices from Macy's are so high for a pair of dungarees. The Duluth ballrooms are more conservatively priced though and they have very good reviews.
I remember when you bought a pair of Levi's they were very stiff and you had to wash and wear a bit but then they fit perfectly; you owned them, they became an extension of you.
is there any qualitative difference between a $20 pair of jeans and a $100 pair?

jeffp,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
The best reviews there are from the guys that really work hard for a living.
I think the best ever was one guy who said he still goes through six pairs a year, but it was at least 12 with any other brand :)

rabblerouser,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Just as an aside, I was in England in the late eighties with a band; also a friend of mine was in Germany at the same time producing a live album by this other band.
Anyway we were looking at the album cover of the live album of the other band and the singer in my band who is pretty funny remarked on the other band's lack of style.
he said something to the effect that the singer went all out and wore jeans without the cum stains for the photo shoot.

jeffp,

stinkmeaner

jeffp said:
Jesus, the prices from Macy's are so high for a pair of dungarees.
is there any qualitative difference between a $20 pair of jeans and a $100 pair?
There is not that much of a difference of quality that I have noticed, it is just a matter of what fits your body shape and style. The Levi jeans may fit some like a glove and look and feel like crap on others, I wouldn't expect you to go out and buy the most expensive pair, but it would be a good idea for you to try as many different brands on as possible if you are serious about finding the perfect fit.

stinkmeaner,

2clicker

Observer
jeffp said:

certainly there is. everything from the quality of the materials to the craftsmanship except id put it more like this...

is there a difference between a $20 pair and a $60 pair? for sure

is there a difference between a $60 pair and a $100/200 pair? not at this price point. at this point your paying strictly for a name and aesthetics.

2clicker,

toxicc

E11001420
There might be a difference on how much the workers are paid, but at 100$ you still don't know if the person that made it is starving.

toxicc,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
It's very hard to judge by price what constitutes a good quality pair of jeans. I'm a small body type, so I don't wear out jeans too often. Having said that, I once paid $70 for a pair of supposedly nice jeans... turns out they were raw denim and basically turned to threads. So watch out that you aren't paying a lot for denim that wears out quickly.

The jeans that fit me best and last the longest happen to be from H&M... and holy shit is it cheap. I paid $15 for a set of quality jeans and I bought some other cheap clothing. Read the tag and you see "Made In Malaysia" or Taiwan or Vietnam. :uhoh:

mattybass,

fidget

This thread is making me a bit ill :D
Try on a good pair of selvage Denim made on an old loom and tell me you can't tell the difference.
Anyone who can't find jeans to fit isn't looking hard enough.

fidget,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
lol, this thread brought back memories!

Way back in my youth it was cool to wear Levi's and only Levi's. The men's style no less.

I would get my men's Levi jeans from the army/navy store, put them on and then sit down in a bathtub of water to soak them. Then wear them until they dried (umm, how I managed I'll never know lol). Once they dried they were more form fitting. I can't remember how the trend started but many of us did that back in the day :D

Lo,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
fidget said:
Try on a good pair of selvage Denim made on an old loom and tell me you can't tell the difference.

They fit, pretty much everything fits out of the wash, but they don't fit snugly the next day; they droop I guess from expanding from a day's wear.
I don't remember this being the case when i was younger with stiff Levi's that you break in.
I'm going to conduct an experiment to see if hanging them up at night makes a difference, today's jeans if balled up and dropped on the floor overnight
may be a factor in its losing its cling.

jeffp,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I remember watching a documentary on denim. Apparently there are only a few factories that supply all the denim to clothing makers here in the US. They were focusing on one factory that supplies the majority of the denim. The representative for the company stated that there is no difference between the denim in a pair of $100+ jeans and your basic $20 pair if they are using the same grade of denim. The only difference between the two are how the fabric is actually sewn together.

DevoTheStrange,

fidget

jeffp said:
fidget said:

They fit, pretty much everything fits out of the wash, but they don't fit snugly the next day; they droop I guess from expanding from a day's wear.
I don't remember this being the case when i was younger with stiff Levi's that you break in.
I'm going to conduct an experiment to see if hanging them up at night makes a difference, today's jeans if balled up and dropped on the floor overnight
The stiff Levi's you remember breaking in will have been raw denim made on old looms and heavier cloth.(probably 14Ounce/yard) as opposed to cheap rubbish which is 9 Ounce.
It is not washed after being dyed.
For best results don't wash them for at least six months. If they start to smell spray a bit of Fabreze on them and put them in the freezer overnight.
Once they are "broken in" you can wash them (<30 C) and they will retain their shape and size.

Selvage denim is usually raw and is made on old shuttle looms forming a "self edged" piece of denim.

Sorry if i'm boring anyone :D

fidget,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
DevoTheStrange said:
I remember watching a documentary on denim. Apparently there are only a few factories that supply all the denim to clothing makers here in the US. They were focusing on one factory that supplies the majority of the denim. The representative for the company stated that there is no difference between the denim in a pair of $100+ jeans and your basic $20 pair if they are using the same grade of denim. The only difference between the two are how the fabric is actually sewn together.

Yeah that makes sense, all of it. Jeans are really important, I was very young but I do remember in the mid sixties the popularity of wearing jeans first emerging.
The Gap was originally a retail store selling only Levi's and they had a psychedelic TV commercial with a jingle, "Fall In To The Gap!"
I have spent up to $25 on a pair of jeans, Lands End, and I don't think they're as high quality as the cheaper Smiths brand you can get at Modell's for about $15; clearly
the Smiths are a heavier grade of denim.

Also this may be my imagination or weird luck, but I find black jeans droop faster than blue jeans; like within a few hours.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
fidget said:
jeffp said:
fidget said:

The stiff Levi's you remember breaking in will have been raw denim made on old looms and heavier cloth.(probably 14Ounce/yard) as opposed to cheap rubbish which is 9 Ounce.
It is not washed after being dyed.
For best results don't wash them for at least six months. If they start to smell spray a bit of Fabreze on them and put them in the freezer overnight.
Once they are "broken in" you can wash them (<30 C) and they will retain their shape and size.

Selvage denim is usually raw and is made on old shuttle looms forming a "self edged" piece of denim.

Sorry if i'm boring anyone :D

This is pretty heavy duty stuff; it's not boring, but I'm not sure I want to go that far to avoid wearing a belt.

jeffp,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
your right about black jeans... they loose their strength much quicker than blue jeans. I go through black jeans twice as fast as i would with blue. Black falls apart quicker too once there are any holes and the likes. Blue jean holes tend to stay smaller a bit longer.

DevoTheStrange,

Beezleb

Reminds me of some of the old miner jeans from the gold rush days.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2001-05-16/news/17598265_1_jeans-lynn-downey-levi-strauss

mn_levis.jpg

Beezleb,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Dude, its not just jeans...

I have this exact same problem with my pants (I usually wear Chinos) and I even have this problem with my shorts that I wear too. Dont get me wrong, I have the body of a God (namely Buddha) and it happens to me too. Ive just grown accustomed to wearing a belt (always)

AGBeer,
Top Bottom