What's the best vape for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some quick info about me.

I'm new to the vape world, my first and only vape was a MFLB. I passed that onto a friend since I was moving out of a legalized state, but now that I'm moving back, I'm looking into what options I have available to serve my vaping needs.

The MFLB served me well, but I'm not sure if I want to go back to it.
(battery issue...)

Here's what I need out of a vape.

1. It MUST be portable.

I'm moving into an apartment that has a strict no smoking policy, that includes vaping. So I need something that I can take outside with me fairly easily.

2. It must produce great tasting vapor.

I will be vaping top shelf medical and would like to taste every flavor of my cannabis.

3. Must have a decent battery life.

I don't want to have to worry about the charge if I take it out for my nightly smoke.

Some other preferences I have would be stealth, and the smell factor. I'm in a legal state so these aren't too big an issue but would definitely be a plus.

I know all vapes smell when smoking but one that I could have in my jacket pocket that doesn't reek like bud would be awesome.

Since I smoke outside at night
I don't necessarily want a huge rig with me either. Even though it is legal I enjoy my privacy and don't necessarily want a vape that screams look at me I'm smoking.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm really passionate about finding the one for me. It will be my one and only vaporizer, so keep that in mind with your recommendations :)

Take a look at the Pax 2. I love mine and it fits your criteria. The Pax 2, like many vaporizers, can smell after use so you would want to get a small case to eliminate all odor. I recommend a case regardless of which vaporizer you decide to purchase. I feel the Pax 2 is the ultimate portable vaporizer.

Welcome to FC

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Ive been checking out the pax 2 lately, it seems like it would fit my needs.

As for the other guy who recommended the firefly, I've also been looking heavily into that based off the on demand aspect of the vape. As I mentioned it doesn't have to be stealthy, would be a plus though.

Tacoma_Trees,
Reactions: GetLeft

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Elevape SV
Vapman
Solo - or - Arizer Air
Haze

based on my own experience, and all I've read/seen/heard/tried, I'd look at those four(or five) main threads here, or the best of threads, and consider them.

Just the last 15-20 pages of each, skim for issues mentioned... and look at all the photos! :)

Welcome back home.

The problem I had with the Firefly is that it is a bitch to use as a portable. The way you must hold it up to your mouth is awkward, weird, and not one bit stealthy. Then to make things worse you have to open the Firefly to stir midway through your bowl. Stirring the Firefly bowl is a messy task as you must remove the metal lid and set it aside to stir the bowl. Doing this on a park bench is ridiculous. These are two of the specific reasons I sold my Firefly. I never struggled with battery life, but that is also an issue for many Firefly users. :2c:

That helps a lot actually, I will strike that off my list. Those are issues I definitely do not want to mess with.

You mentioned the pax 2 earlier, how has it been transitioning from the firefly to the pax?

Elevape SV
Vapman
Solo - or - Arizer Air
Haze

based on my own experience, and all I've read/seen/heard/tried, I'd look at those four(or five) main threads here, or the best of threads, and consider them.

Just the last 15-20 pages of each, skim for issues mentioned... and look at all the photos! :)

Welcome back home.

Thanks for the reply :)

I've checked out the arizer air thoroughly and I love the price it's at currently being $100 cheaper than the pax2. Just not entirely convinced about the glass stems or the heat up time.

I've also heard some good things about the haze, can you tell me more from your experience?

I haven't heard of the other two.

Tacoma_Trees,

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
I own a PAX and want a Firefly! (and a PAX2) Still curious about the MiniVaps battery life. The Firefly is all convection vaporizer. The plus side is the taste, But heating up a chamber with hot air takes a lot of electricity as say a convection vaporizor. So plan on keeping up with that when you got to trek up and back to your apartment. The Firefly forum has mentioned something about a battery improvement tho. My PAX smell a little at first, but I try to catch those first vapors and put it in a mini case. If I keep it on the low heat setting. I can get 1 - 1 1/2 hours of use
while keeping it powered on. If the unit is cleaned and packed, then the operation is stealty.
You will get some more people recommending the PAX 2, but it is still newish, so check the forums. It probably will live up to most of the hype tho. And there is always some up-and-comers too!

Last edited:
CuckFumbustion,

EveryDayAmnesiac

Stirring the Firefly bowl is a messy task as you must remove the metal lid and set it aside to stir the bowl

You can just set the lid on the base and let the magnets do their thing to keep it in one piece.

Though I always find shaking mine to be good enough, until the very end when I'm trying to get just a little more out of it - at that point, I stir.

The problem I had with the Firefly is that it is a bitch to use as a portable. The way you must hold it up to your mouth is awkward, weird, and not one bit stealthy.

I certainly don't agree that it's a "bitch" to use as a portable, since I do so just about every day away from home. And I've never understood the idea that the FF is awkward to use. Stealthy, maybe not, but I don't find hardly any vapes to actually be as stealthy as some people like to think.

I would say quickly holding something up to your mouth and taking a puff is more stealthy than, let's say, standing there letting a conduction vape roast away and fill the air with the smell of herbs - even if it does lower the temp between hits.

:2c:

I own a PAX and want a Firefly! (and a PAX2) Still curious about the MiniVaps battery life. The Firefly is all convection vaporizer. The plus side is the taste, But heating up a chamber with hot air takes a lot of electricity as say a convection vaporizor. So plan on keeping up with that when you got to trek up and back to your apartment. The Firefly forum has mentioned something about a battery improvement tho. My PAX smell a little at first, but I try to catch those first vapors and put it in a mini case. If I keep it on the low heat setting. I can get 1 - 1 1/2 hours of use
while keeping it powered on. If the unit is cleaned and packed, then the operation is stealty.
You will get some more people recommending the PAX 2, but it is still newish, so check the forums. It probably will live up to most of the hype tho. And there is always some up-and-comers too!

I've heard that a FF 2.0 is in the works, and Im sure they will fix and upgrade many of the issues described. It sounds like a great vape and has great reviews but the battery life of the devise and the design are turn offs for me.

You can just set the lid on the base and let the magnets do their thing to keep it in one piece.

Though I always find shaking mine to be good enough, until the very end when I'm trying to get just a little more out of it - at that point, I stir.

I certainly don't agree that it's a "bitch" to use as a portable, since I do so just about every day away from home. And I've never understood the idea that the FF is awkward to use. Stealthy, maybe not, but I don't find hardly any vapes to actually be as stealthy as some people like to think.

I would say quickly holding something up to your mouth and taking a puff is more stealthy than, let's say, standing there letting a conduction vape roast away and fill the air with the smell of herbs - even if it does lower the temp between hits.

:2c:

This is the first time I've even read that people stir their FF bowls :o
I didn't think that was necessary for it :/

From my perspective Pax 2 is the ultimate portable vape. Vapor production is full and tasty from the first draw to the last. The battery life is exceptional. The main issue you face with the Pax 2 would be odor. You need to get a case or silicone caps to control odor — there are good selections for this task. You will not have any surprises with a Pax 2 purchase though it is a touch on the spendy side at $280. There is no transition from a FF or any other vaporizer as the Pax 2 is uber simple and just works.

Good-luck vape shopping :)

What's with the comments I've read that the pax 2 doesn't live up to its hype? Is that because of the price?

EveryDayAmnesiac

This is the first time I've even read that people stir their FF bowls :o
I didn't think that was necessary for it :/

As I said, I find simply shaking the device to move the herb around to be good enough - but if you're at the end of a bowl and just want to get those last one or two hits, then a stir is a good idea.

Battery life is far less of an issue now with the new batts - for many, not an issue at all. Unless you plan on being away from home all day, I wouldn't worry about battery charge.

But if you don't like the design, then I guess these would be moot points.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Welcome neighbor and welcome to FC.
I would suggest the Arizer Air. It's stealth, has good flavor a battery that lasts an hour but the user can replace a fresh battery when needed. You can buy as many batteries as you want. It hooks up well to water tools. You can buy one for around $200 or less.

Lately when looking for a vaporizer I check out Puffitup online vaporizers and accessories.

Also what was about the Indica portable. It looks like a large zippo lighter, you can get it in the black. It has good flavor and when you shut the lid there is no smell. The company seems to be a good one. Many FC members were Beta testers. It's a year and a half old I believe. They have come out with the Indica Noir a revised version. I have one and I like mine. It comes with spacers so you can adjust your load. it seems to be well made. I've had mine for about nine months.

Buying a portable is a tough decision and a good investment. I like my Air over the Indica, it's more stealth. The Indica smells the least. There won't be one that doesn't smell.

Welcome neighbor and welcome to FC.
I would suggest the Arizer Air. It's stealth, has good flavor a battery that lasts an hour but the user can replace a fresh battery when needed. You can buy as many batteries as you want. It hooks up well to water tools. You can buy one for around $200 or less.

Lately when looking for a vaporizer I check out Puffitup online vaporizers and accessories.

Also what was about the Indica portable. It looks like a large zippo lighter, you can get it in the black. It has good flavor and when you shut the lid there is no smell. The company seems to be a good one. Many FC members were Beta testers. It's a year and a half old I believe. They have come out with the Indica Noir a revised version. I have one and I like mine. It comes with spacers so you can adjust your load. it seems to be well made. I've had mine for about nine months.

Buying a portable is a tough decision and a good investment. I like my Air over the Indica, it's more stealth. The Indica smells the least. There won't be one that doesn't smell.

Thanks for your detailed response :)

From what I've heard, and looked at the air seems awesome! the fact that it's $100 cheaper than the pax is also a huge plus for me.

I've been looking at puffitup, they seem to have the best prices on the air for $169.

Pal, I have absolutely no idea. I can say with 100% honesty that the Pax 2 is an exceptional vape for the price. All vapes have their fans and those who disagree. Good-luck to you.

Thank you very much for your help!

This will probably be where you land. I love my Air, and Randy has the best prices and great service.

I've only heard great things from them, this only increases my assurance that I will be 100% satisfied with my purchase from there.

The Air design separates the mouthpiece from the device. The mouthpiece holds the herbs. Also, with the bowl at the top of the unit you are never pulling vapors through the device. Once you empty the spent herb from the mouthpiece you are pretty much odor free to humans.

Off hand, I cannot think of a device that controls odor as well the Air, but I would think there are a few more great 'odor controlling' vape designs out there.

Wow, I think I'm sold. Thank you for Your input.

What are some good options for smell proof cases and bud containers? The flower here in WA is unnaturally smelly, while good, I prefer to only smell my stash when I'm taking it out.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Well, you have a lot of data and a lot of opinions to sift through, my friend. Let me just throw my 2 cents into the maelstrom of speculation, if I may mix my metaphors....

I own both the FF and the Pax2. My take....

1. The FF actually fits all three of your priorities better than the Pax. It has much better flavor (IMO, IME, YMMV, etc infinity) than the Pax, or any other portable I've used (IMO again, blah blah). The battery life is much better with the new 770s....I can get like 30 huge hits, or at least two sessions for myself, from one charge. While Steama is right that it's not super stealthy, it is totally portable, and I've ported mine all over the place. I usually pack mine densely, so that I cannot shake it like EDA does (but really, who can shake it like EDA, am I right? :lol:), but a trick the Amnesiac himself taught me, you can just put the lid sideways on the body, the magnet holds it, and I can stir the bowl with my finger and slide the lid right back on. Perfectly portable. (Even the old stoners learn something new now and again.) But...

2. As Steama also mentions the Pax 2 is much stealthier. It's got way better battery life than the FF. It's smaller, easier to pocket, and thanks to the conductive heating, really can go without stirring (though I cannot cook a full oven without dumping it out at least once and reloading, and that makes it even less portable than the FF...because stirring isn't as effective as dumping, IME IMO the usual....) The flavor is good, but not great, as it's conduction and can't hold a candle to the on-demand convection of the FF (IMO, ok??? :p). It will use more weed than the FF, without exception, because that's just the way it works. It is a damned fine little conduction vape. Maybe the best little conduction vape you can buy. It's also way overpriced.

You want stealth and a smaller pocket footprint, so to speak? The Pax2 is your baby. You want the best possible flavor and on-demand convection that uses less weed? The FF, easy.

Two other things...the FF costs ten bucks less. And within 12 months, the Pax2 will be everywhere, and its ubiquity will likely mitigate some of its stealthiness.

Well, you have a lot of data and a lot of opinions to sift through, my friend. Let me just throw my 2 cents into the maelstrom of speculation, if I may mix my metaphors....

I own both the FF and the Pax2. My take....

1. The FF actually fits all three of your priorities better than the Pax. It has much better flavor (IMO, IME, YMMV, etc infinity) than the Pax, or any other portable I've used (IMO again, blah blah). The battery life is much better with the new 770s....I can get like 30 huge hits, or at least two sessions for myself, from one charge. While Steama is right that it's not super stealthy, it is totally portable, and I've ported mine all over the place. I usually pack mine densely, so that I cannot shake it like EDA does (but really, who can shake it like EDA, am I right? :lol:), but a trick the Amnesiac himself taught me, you can just put the lid sideways on the body, the magnet holds it, and I can stir the bowl with my finger and slide the lid right back on. Perfectly portable. (Even the old stoners learn something new now and again.) But...

2. As Steama also mentions the Pax 2 is much stealthier. It's got way better battery life than the FF. It's smaller, easier to pocket, and thanks to the conductive heating, really can go without stirring (though I cannot cook a full oven without dumping it out at least once and reloading, and that makes it even less portable than the FF...because stirring isn't as effective as dumping, IME IMO the usual....) The flavor is good, but not great, as it's conduction and can't hold a candle to the on-demand convection of the FF (IMO, ok??? :p). It will use more weed than the FF, without exception, because that's just the way it works. It is a damned fine little conduction vape. Maybe the best little conduction vape you can buy. It's also way overpriced.

You want stealth and a smaller pocket footprint, so to speak? The Pax2 is your baby. You want the best possible flavor and on-demand convection that uses less weed? The FF, easy.

Two other things...the FF costs ten bucks less. And within 12 months, the Pax2 will be everywhere, and its ubiquity will likely mitigate some of its stealthiness.

That's a very helpful comparison, thanks. I think at the moment, for me, I have to choose between the firefly and the air. It really just comes down to what I want to spend.

I love how the MFLB had the on demand convection action, and I know I will be extremely pleased with the FF being the Lamborghini of the two. I also like the fact that when I stop vaping the piece won't cook my herbs.

I haven't had any experience with conduction vapes but from what I've heard it sounds like it will be suitable as well. What steama said excited me about the smell factor and how the air excels in that aspect. Also poking the glass piece into the grinder to load herbs looks so easy. (keeps my fingers from getting sticky icky :p )

Looks like I have a lot to think about still haha.

JyARz all day long. The Air with a Classic JyARz and a rubber band makes one ready to travel!

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to check it out.

lwien

I love how the MFLB had the on demand convection action......

I haven't had any experience with conduction vapes but from what I've heard it sounds like it will be suitable as well.

You HAVE had experience with conduction vapes............the MFLB is a conduction based vaporizer.

Also, in regards to stealth, while the Pax is stealthier in form factor than the FireFly, it also emits a lot more smell which kinda mitigates some of that stealthiness. Just something to keep in mind.

You HAVE had experience with conduction vapes............the MFLB is a conduction based vaporizer.

Also, in regards to stealth, while the Pax is stealthier in form factor than the FireFly, it also emits a lot more smell which kinda mitigates some of that stealthiness. Just something to keep in mind.

Oh...I thought it was convection haha. Guess you learn something new everyday :p

Tacoma_Trees,
Reactions: lwien

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The FireFly doesn't look like it would be very stealth. I have heard great things about the flavor. It sounds like it would be an on demand unit.

What I like about the Air it gives you the all glass air path, or you could switch things around and buy a wooden stem from our friend @Ed's TnT. The D020 bubbler or the Pinnacle Pro Micro Shower (water tube style) that I have works really well with it too when I'm in the mood for water filtration. The Air is an easy portable to use.

There are so many choices and more coming out every day. It's good to have more than one vaporizer. Some portable vapes are not very dependable, so be a wise shopper. The Vapor Genie is pretty inexpensive like $60. You use a butane lighter with that one.

Last edited:

Scott A

The Air design separates the mouthpiece from the device. The mouthpiece holds the herbs. Also, with the bowl at the top of the unit you are never pulling vapors through the device. Once you empty the spent herb from the mouthpiece you are pretty much odor free to humans.

Off hand, I cannot think of a device that controls odor as well the Air, but I would think there are a few more great 'odor controlling' vape designs out there.
I dont see how they changed anything from the solo to the air to make it better at odor control and I always though the solo was one of my smellier vapes. You still have the stinky stems to manage in between sessions and during a session you have a vaporizer that still produces vapor while you are not inhaling from it.

The FireFly doesn't look like it would be very stealth. I have heard great things about the flavor. It sounds like it would be an on demand unit.

What I like about the Air it gives you the all glass air path, or you could switch things around and buy a wooden stem from our friend @Ed's TnT. The D020 bubbler or the Pinnacle Pro Micro Shower (water tube style) that I have works really well with it too when I'm in the mood for water filtration. The Air is an easy portable to use.

There are so many choices and more coming out every day. It's good to have more than one vaporizer. Some portable vapes are not very dependable, so be a wise shopper. The Vapor Genie is pretty inexpensive like $60. You use a butane lighter with that one.

The after market mods that I have available to add to the air make it seem like it would be a great starter vape for my inevitable collection :)

Like I said earlier the glass stems are a selling point for me personally.

I dont see how they changed anything from the solo to the air to make it better at odor control and I always though the solo was one of my smellier vapes. You still have the stinky stems to manage in between sessions and during a session you have a vaporizer that still produces vapor while you are not inhaling from it.

What are some of your lesser smelling vapes?

Tacoma_Trees,
Reactions: steama
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom