Whats a good vaporizer that heats up fast and doesn't stay hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lokbok

SO I started off with a MFLB and got an Arizer Solo earlier this year. I like the Solo good enough..but I realized for my purposes I still tend to lean more towards usign the MFLB. I don't need total stealth.. but the part of the MFLB that goes with my needs so well is the fact that it doesn't stay hot if I'm not pushing down a button. It heats up immediately and I only heat up the materials when I want to. This is kind of important to me because I'm usually doing things when I'm vaping. Even with the Solo's auto shut-off.. I think I'm wasting far more material because it's not shutting off when I set it down. Constantly turning it on and off is a pain too because it takes a while to heat up.

What other choices are there? If there's nothing else that shares the same heating qualities as the MFLB in terms of not always on and having quick heat-up.. I might just get the AC adapter for it and call it a day for home use.

Ultimate portability is not my primary concern.. but I would still like a device that easily stores in a drawer and preferably something that might be just a little bigger than my hands (I have kind of large hands - wear size 12US in shoes)

Thanks in advance.

Lokbok,
Reactions: Roger D

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
SO I started off with a MFLB and got an Arizer Solo earlier this year. I like the Solo good enough..but I realized for my purposes I still tend to lean more towards usign the MFLB. I don't need total stealth.. but the part of the MFLB that goes with my needs so well is the fact that it doesn't stay hot if I'm not pushing down a button. It heats up immediately and I only heat up the materials when I want to. This is kind of important to me because I'm usually doing things when I'm vaping. Even with the Solo's auto shut-off.. I think I'm wasting far more material because it's not shutting off when I set it down. Constantly turning it on and off is a pain too because it takes a while to heat up.

What other choices are there? If there's nothing else that shares the same heating qualities as the MFLB in terms of not always on and having quick heat-up.. I might just get the AC adapter for it and call it a day for home use.

Ultimate portability is not my primary concern.. but I would still like a device that easily stores in a drawer and preferably something that might be just a little bigger than my hands (I have kind of large hands - wear size 12US in shoes)

Thanks in advance.

The FlashVAPE works on the same power-on-demand principle as the MFLB. It is a portable in the same sense that the Solo is, i.e not pocket-friendly. Check it out at flashvape.com and read the FlashVAPE thread.

arrr

Thanks in advance.

With the solo try taking out the stem when your done or in between hits. I have the solo and the FV and i personally prefer the solo. The main reason is i think the solo tastes better. 2nd is the solo conserves like no other vape i have tried and lastly i never have to worry about combustion or swapping batteries. With the FV i have to pay attention when i am using it. Don't get me wrong i really like the FV, but the solo is the best vape i have ever used. (I do not have the S2 kit for the FV yet).

If you like the type of vape where you can vape on demand (like the MFLB) i would definitely suggest the flashvape and its affordable.

arrr,
Reactions: Lokbok

Lokbok

With the solo try taking out the stem when your done or in between hits. I have the solo and the FV and i personally prefer the solo. The main reason is i think the solo tastes better. 2nd is the solo conserves like no other vape i have tried and lastly i never have to worry about combustion or swapping batteries. With the FV i have to pay attention when i am using it. Don't get me wrong i really like the FV, but the solo is the best vape i have ever used. (I do not have the S2 kit for the FV yet).

If you like the type of vape where you can vape on demand (like the MFLB) i would definitely suggest the flashvape and its affordable.

That seems like an awful lot of trouble.. especially considering that I've even spilled materials the first load per session (rarely though). A lot of people say the vapor quality of the Solo is superior, but honestly I found the MFLB pretty similar.. that might be because I already have the technique down though. Solo is definitely easier to use for people who aren't accustomed to vaporizers though. Solo is great.. but I just wish it was more "on demand" as I'm usually doing work or playing video games when vaping. I've gotten just as buzzed with the MFLB as I did with the Solo, but the difference is with a little attention at hand I'm sometimes able to get 1.5 sessions per trench with the MFLB.

The Flashvape is interesting.. I'll definitely have to look more into it. Since it goes on the same heating principles on the MFLB.. I'm guessing its prone to burning materials if you don't shake it. Does it have any glass/viewing area to see your material like the MFLB does?

UPDATE: Just looked up some more videos of the Flashvape. Looks pretty neat. Still seems relatively new so I dunno if there are any issues yet. Definitely something I'll keep within my radar.

Few things I don't like about it though:
1. Not a fan of screwing the batteries in and out. I can see that getting annoying real fast since I'm guessing you want a freshly charged battery each time.
2. The way the straw attaches looks really fragile. A reviewer I ran into said he already snapped one in half the first day he used it.

Right now thats about it.. but I really like that there is a glass opening on top to view the inside.

Lokbok,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Does it need to be a portable?
If not,
Have you considered something like the ssv/dbv?

They are plug in vapes, so they aren't portable, but you can easily keep the vape on 24/7 (for literally up to years at a time), and since the bud is stored in the whip (well, the wand attached tothe whip) it doesn't cook unless you want it to.
They heat up within a few minutes (probably similar to how long it takes the solo to heat up), but since you can leave it on 24/7, you only have to wait the one time.
Then it's ready "on demand" whenever you want another hit.

Depending on the drawer, you could probably stash them away in a drawer if you wanted to.
(After turning it off and letting it cool down first)

:2c:

goatgobaahh

I have had the PA and finishing grinder for the MFLB since Monday. I can safely say using a LB without those two accessories is like using 50% of what it can really do. Add the water pipe adapter and you have a REAL nice setup! Plus it does exactly what you want it to. Heats up fast and cools down quickly.

I used to use the MFLB with just batteries and one of Ed's wooden stems. I had NO IDEA what I was missing!

goatgobaahh,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
That seems like an awful lot of trouble.. especially considering that I've even spilled materials the first load per session (rarely though). A lot of people say the vapor quality of the Solo is superior, but honestly I found the MFLB pretty similar.. that might be because I already have the technique down though. Solo is definitely easier to use for people who aren't accustomed to vaporizers though. Solo is great.. but I just wish it was more "on demand" as I'm usually doing work or playing video games when vaping. I've gotten just as buzzed with the MFLB as I did with the Solo, but the difference is with a little attention at hand I'm sometimes able to get 1.5 sessions per trench with the MFLB.

The Flashvape is interesting.. I'll definitely have to look more into it. Since it goes on the same heating principles on the MFLB.. I'm guessing its prone to burning materials if you don't shake it. Does it have any glass/viewing area to see your material like the MFLB does?

UPDATE: Just looked up some more videos of the Flashvape. Looks pretty neat. Still seems relatively new so I dunno if there are any issues yet. Definitely something I'll keep within my radar.

Few things I don't like about it though:
1. Not a fan of screwing the batteries in and out. I can see that getting annoying real fast since I'm guessing you want a freshly charged battery each time.
2. The way the straw attaches looks really fragile. A reviewer I ran into said he already snapped one in half the first day he used it.

Right now thats about it.. but I really like that there is a glass opening on top to view the inside.

I change the battery every bowl, but it's not mandatory. When I was testing it, I was able to get two bowls out of a battery, but this sort of thing varies greatly depending on how you use it. I don't consider the draw stem to be fragile at all. I don't recall someone posting about breaking it the first day, so I guess that wasn't an FC member. I winder how that happened. I'm only aware of a couple of breakage reports, one of them mine when I knocked the whole thing over and it landed on the stem. Unless this happens or you drop the stem onto a hard surface like ceramic tile, I just don't see it breaking.

You can't see the load through the window, just the vapour stream. It does take some technique and it will definitely burn your load if you let it. Shaking is necessary if you use conduction mode, but with the S2 convection kit you don't need to shake a lot, and the chance of combustion is greatly reduced.

I think that the important point for you is that it is true power-on-demand. You can hit it, then put it down and forget it because it won't be cooking your load.

Lokbok

I have had the PA and finishing grinder for the MFLB since Monday. I can safely say using a LB without those two accessories is like using 50% of what it can really do. Add the water pipe adapter and you have a REAL nice setup! Plus it does exactly what you want it to. Heats up fast and cools down quickly.

I used to use the MFLB with just batteries and one of Ed's wooden stems. I had NO IDEA what I was missing!

Yea, when I purchase the MFLB again, I was thinking of getting the power adapter with it. I was wondering whether or not I should bother with the finish grinder but it sounds like its working out for you. I have a Space Case and it seems to get it fine enough.

I thought about a desktop unit, but I really would prefer something that I put away after every single use. I have a lot of visitors.

Lokbok,

goatgobaahh

Yea, when I purchase the MFLB again, I was thinking of getting the power adapter with it. I was wondering whether or not I should bother with the finish grinder but it sounds like its working out for you. I have a Space Case and it seems to get it fine enough.

I thought about a desktop unit, but I really would prefer something that I put away after every single use. I have a lot of visitors.

I actually didn't think I needed the FG either, but I figured if I was going to spend the money on a PA I might as well get the WPA and FG as well.(I have a santa cruz shredder and I though I wouldn't need it either, but it turns your herbs into dust hence exposing more surface area for a more potent hit)

From my experience this almost is a desktop unit. I say almost because I also own a EQ (which is generally seen as an OK vape) which delivers bigger hits.

The way I vape I want big, thick, smooth hits. I try to take the biggest hit, every hit.With all these accessories I cant say that it delivers as good as my EQ+steele concept bong setup, but it comes close.

You can put away a SSV after use if you want a desktop unit I would highly suggest that unit. Or the LSV which would be very easy to put away after use.

goatgobaahh,

Lokbok

I actually didn't think I needed the FG either, but I figured if I was going to spend the money on a PA I might as well get the WPA and FG as well.(I have a santa cruz shredder and I though I wouldn't need it either, but it turns your herbs into dust hence exposing more surface area for a more potent hit)

From my experience this almost is a desktop unit. I say almost because I also own a EQ (which is generally seen as an OK vape) which delivers bigger hits.

The way I vape I want big, thick, smooth hits. I try to take the biggest hit, every hit.With all these accessories I cant say that it delivers as good as my EQ+steele concept bong setup, but it comes close.

You can put away a SSV after use if you want a desktop unit I would highly suggest that unit. Or the LSV which would be very easy to put away after use.

I'll take a look at Silver Surfer and Life Saber as well. As mentioned.. I don't necessarily need stealth.. but I want something that is small and conveniently put away into my desk drawer.

Thanks everyone for their inputs so far.

Lokbok,

hoptimum

I change the battery every bowl, but it's not mandatory. When I was testing it, I was able to get two bowls out of a battery, but this sort of thing varies greatly depending on how you use it. I don't consider the draw stem to be fragile at all. I don't recall someone posting about breaking it the first day, so I guess that wasn't an FC member. I winder how that happened. I'm only aware of a couple of breakage reports, one of them mine when I knocked the whole thing over and it landed on the stem. Unless this happens or you drop the stem onto a hard surface like ceramic tile, I just don't see it breaking.

You can't see the load through the window, just the vapour stream. It does take some technique and it will definitely burn your load if you let it. Shaking is necessary if you use conduction mode, but with the S2 convection kit you don't need to shake a lot, and the chance of combustion is greatly reduced.

I think that the important point for you is that it is true power-on-demand. You can hit it, then put it down and forget it because it won't be cooking your load.

In my experience anyway, the Flash Vape and MFLB are the only vaporizers that you can hit almost instantly and put down without cooking your herbs. I'm not a big fan of taking out the wand/stem from the DBV or Solo. It seems to me that those primarily convection vapes start cooking the herbs from the get go, whereas vaporizers with more conduction qualities like the FV and MFLB seem to focus primarily on the areas where the heating element is in contact with the flowers and don't cook them through right away. Any other thoughts on this theory would be appreciated.

hoptimum,

Lokbok

In my experience anyway, the Flash Vape and MFLB are the only vaporizers that you can hit almost instantly and put down without cooking your herbs. I'm not a big fan of taking out the wand/stem from the DBV or Solo. It seems to me that those primarily convection vapes start cooking the herbs from the get go, whereas vaporizers with more conduction qualities like the FV and MFLB seem to focus primarily on the areas where the heating element is in contact with the flowers and don't cook them through right away. Any other thoughts on this theory would be appreciated.

That seems about right. As mentioned.. with proper technique and shaking.. I always seem to get the most out of materials using MFLB vs all the other vapes I've used (haven't used FlashVape yet, but from what I've read, similar to MFLB). I'm not saying I'm getting the highest quality vapor (personally I don't care too much as long as it doesn't taste terrible and I reach the same elevations).

Lokbok,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

In theory, a pure convection vapourizer only cooks when you pull hot air through the load. In real life, most convection units have some degree of conduction. You can check how much by just leaving a load in while the heat is on. After 10 minutes, check to see how much cooking occurred. Some units will surprise you.

Convection vs conduction isn't the issue though. The difference is how they are powered: on-demand vs always-on. The MFLB and the FV heat up and cool down within seconds. Whether it's conduction (LB, original FV) or convection (FV Stage 2) there's no cooking when there's no power. This is why these devices deliver tastier vapour longer. If the power is always on, there will be some cooking, it's just a matter of how much.

There more on-demand devices than you think. The Palm and Palm 2.0 work on-demand, and so does the Volta, which has started to ship but no one has reported getting one yet. Then there's flame-powered devices, e.g. the Lotus or VG. Not all of them heat up or cool down quickly, though.

By the way, the FV using the 3.7V batteries and used inverted is as close to pure conduction as you can get. There is no contact between the load and any heated screen.

Lokbok

I forgot to mention.. I'd also prefer to have the option of a power adapter. I couldn't seem to find any for the FlashVape.. but that might just be because its still too soon. THanks again everyone for the suggestions so far.

Lokbok,

al bundy

Vaporist
Also the Firewood for $80 and you apply finish may work for you.

Theres also a Flashvape for sale in classified for $110.

al bundy,

Lokbok

As an update.. I ended up getting another MFLB afterall. Fired it up today and forgot how effective it is. Maybe I got the draw technique down nearly perfect.. but a few hits gets me as high as an entire bowl with the Solo and I have both the glass stems as well as Ed's wood for it.

I'll probably end up getting a desktop eventually and use the MFLB to supplement it. Thanks for the suggestions/help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom